PDA

View Full Version : Anybody CCW a primary at 3-4:30 and AIWB carry a secondary?

mhanna91
12-23-11, 01:29
Wasn't sure where this thread should go, so if it needs to be moved please do so.

I have recently discovered a pretty ideal setup for my daily carry. I have a Raven Phantom LC (MD cut) for my M&P9 FS and a double mag carrier for two 17 round reloads. I carry the M&P and the 2 reloads IWB (with c-clips and offset wings). The pistol is at almost exactly 3 o'clock and the mags at 7:30 or 8 o'clock. This conceals VERY well for me with just a normal fitting t-shirt and jeans. I have been carrying this 90% of the time for the past month (including a few 13 hour shifts at work). It works for me.

I also have a recently acquired S&W 642 with a cheap Don Hume IWB neutral cant holster. I have practiced enough with this gun to feel comfortable carrying it as a backup. I won't pocket carry it because I don't have any extra pockets in my jeans, so IWB seems to be my next best option. I was messing around at the house today and I clipped the J-frame into my pants at about 1 o'clock (my preferred appendix carry position). It disappears along with my M&P under a normal sized t-shirt, and it doesn't seem to interfere with my primary weapon's positioning.

My questions are as follows: Does this seem to be practical at all? With 2 spare mags for my primary, should I just forget about carrying a backup?

jamaicanj
12-23-11, 03:12
Nothing crazy about carrying a backup. Firearms are mechanical and can fail hence the need for your BUG. Not to mention, you may for some reason or the other lose/drop/get disarmed and your primary is not an option...along comes the BUG. Last scenario that I can think of is positioning where drawing your appendix gun maybe faster than your gun on the side.

nobody knows
12-23-11, 06:33
The only thing I would suggest is carrying the bug so its accessible with ether hand. The whole point of a bug is worst case scenario,so you should be able to get to it with ether hand. Just one man's opinion

Jim D
12-23-11, 08:38
My .02$... I would carry a BUG in my LH front pocket. Setup for LH access, balances the weight better than having it all on one side of your body, and its easy to get a grip on your gun covertly and "cheat" a little bit if something is starting to get exciting but you can't really draw yet.

ColtJ
12-23-11, 09:22
When I carry a secondary, I have it in a pocket holster in the back pocket on the weak hand side. Primary is normally between 3-5.

As stated, it might come in handy to be able to access something with either hand. :agree:

Hogsgunwild
12-23-11, 10:14
Mhanna91: I like your idea. It sounds like a good plan if it feels practical after doing it for awhile. I understand where you are coming from as even if I did have a leftover front pocket (already hook my keys to my belt loop) I will not pocket-carry a five shot revolver in jeans. Even my Rohrbaugh R9 is too cramped in my jeans front pocket. OK for slacks or shorts but not jeans.

I also carry the M&P FS 9mm with two spare mags all in the same locations as you except reversed as I am a lefty.

I think the appendix carry of the bug would be a great place for access with either hand if needed.

Thanks for the new idea.

mhanna91
12-23-11, 11:57
So I'm not crazy?:D

Thanks for the input fellas. I really do like the idea of pocket carry, but like I said, jeans are my regular attire. A couple of you mentioned weak-side pocket carry. Do you draw and fire with your weak hand in that configuration or pull the gun out with the weak hand and transition it to the strong hand? Just wondering. I can access the gun with my left hand in the AIWB position I am trying to use, but I can see the definite advantage of pocket carry, i.e. getting a firing grip on your weapon by simply putting your hand in your pocket. I guess I'll give appendix carry a try and see where it goes from there.

Univibe
12-23-11, 13:13
I wonder, how many licensed non-LEO pistoleros regularly carry a backup gun? I've never felt the need. A .45 and one extra mag is all I carry. There's a Mini-14 in the car with two twenty-round mags, but I figure the chance of getting into that are 1 / 100,000 in my lifetime.

mhanna91
12-23-11, 13:27
I wonder, how many licensed non-LEO pistoleros regularly carry a backup gun? I've never felt the need. A .45 and one extra mag is all I carry. There's a Mini-14 in the car with two twenty-round mags, but I figure the chance of getting into that are 1 / 100,000 in my lifetime.

It is hard to say. At this point in my life I am non-LEO (that will hopefully be changing in about a year). I don't feel an absolute need to have a backup, but I figure it won't hurt anything.

Ptrlcop
12-23-11, 13:41
In my opininon carrying a back up is less about having another gun if the primary goes down and more about having a gun in another place on my body if the situation prevents me from being able to get to my primary. Situations that may limit my ability to get to my primary could be sitting in a car, winter clothing, defending a disarming attempt, or laying on it(ground fighting).

I really like the idea of pocket carry, but have the same issue with space. Sometimes I will drop a gun in my coat pocket when my primary is covered by several layers in the winter. If you spend a lot of time in the car an ankle holster can be easy to draw from.

From your described needs I would AIWB for weak hand draw or forget the second gun and get a fixed blade and the skills to use it. As far as weak side carry, In a close up fight I would just run it weak handed. If I had the distance and time I would then transition to my strong hand

skyugo
12-23-11, 17:51
good plan... the snubby makes a great backup. I usually left pocket mine. left AIWB sounds appealing.

Axcelea
12-23-11, 20:51
If it is being done to simply increase your round count then it is impractical considering you could do an extra magazine. If it is for other reasons such as giving another point of access for when your primary will be difficult to get at, a on scene replacement if the primary is out of commission, a counter piece to keep primary retention, replacing the primary for scenarios it is more advantageous, etc then it can easily be considered practical.

I say go for it as long as it is not overwhelmingly difficult and try to maximize the use you get at it and not let it just be more rounds on your person.

I also like the soft loops more ;p

JodyH
12-23-11, 21:36
I occasionally carried a P99 at 3:30 IWB and a Kahr Mk9 at 11:30 AIWB.
Haven't done that for several years.
I now carry a P2000Sk 12:30 AIWB and a LCP in my left front pocket.
Much more comfortable.

SmokeJumper
12-24-11, 11:40
Naw, you're not crazy. A BUG is an excellent idea, you may find that you need/want to do it all the time or not, that's up to you and your personal opinions/scenarios you may encounter. I've not tried your particular set up, but it sounds like you waistband is full. If it works, then it works. I prefer to carry my j-frame in pocket or ankle. Pocket is more difficult in jeans, depending on the jeans, works great with a lot of cargo pants. Some times you gotta find the right pocket or ankle holster just like finding the right OWB/IWB rig. You're definitely not afraid to experiment, but as you know, that can get expensive when you start trying different holsters and set-ups. Just remember to practice with that BUG both on the range and dry fire and practice getting it out and on target in your preferred carry method, for me that is support side draw/use and some strong hand draws. Enjoy the 642

mhanna91
12-24-11, 12:07
The waste band is pretty much full with this set-up, thats why I was wanting to get some thoughts and opinions on it from some of you more experienced folks. I tried this setup tonight on a family outing, in addition to wearing it around the house for a 3 or 4 hours before we left. We went to Indianapolis to see the Christmas lights, got to the mall and eat a nice dinner. The car ride down there was about an hour. I didn't feel really uncomfortable with both guns and 2 spare mags in my waste band. Everything stayed concealed well and didn't shift around. I will continue to play with this and see how it works out.

Bourneshooter
12-25-11, 07:41
I usually will carry a G19/X300 at 3 OClock in a Raven Phantom OWB and a single G17 mag at 10 Oclock in a Raven mag pouch OWB. If I am going somewhere I think the potential for violence is higher when I'm seated then I'll add either a G19 or G27 AIWB for seated access.

If I just need the extra ammo I switch to a double mag pouch.

This has been comfortable concealed carry wise with a polo shirt untucked over it.

Condition Write
12-25-11, 13:46
Not crazy. In addition to the reasons already cited, there may be value in having a spare weapon to hand off to a trusted partner who, for whatever reason, is unarmed.

FYI, Duluth Trading's "ballroom jeans" have enough pocket volume for a 642/LCR. It will visibly bulge but won't telegraph "gun" if you invest in a halfway decent pocket holster.

JM$0.02.

wahoo95
12-25-11, 14:10
Awful lot of stuff to wear for a civilian who unlike LEO doesn't purposely go into harms way. Seems like a lot to have loaded up on one side....will cause you back problems in the long run. I would ditch one of the spare mags if carrying a spare pistol.....course I'm the type that feels more than comfortable carrying my G27 and a spare mag. On rare occasions I will carry a BUG, however I typically substitute it for the spare mag.

1slow
12-29-11, 12:10
Getting to pocket carry while seated, on the ground, or running can be hard. Particularly seated in a car or fighting on the ground.
I like the Idea of it being available to your off side hand.

sgtjosh
12-29-11, 13:10
Wasn't sure where this thread should go, so if it needs to be moved please do so.

I have recently discovered a pretty ideal setup for my daily carry. I have a Raven Phantom LC (MD cut) for my M&P9 FS and a double mag carrier for two 17 round reloads. I carry the M&P and the 2 reloads IWB (with c-clips and offset wings). The pistol is at almost exactly 3 o'clock and the mags at 7:30 or 8 o'clock. This conceals VERY well for me with just a normal fitting t-shirt and jeans. I have been carrying this 90% of the time for the past month (including a few 13 hour shifts at work). It works for me.

I also have a recently acquired S&W 642 with a cheap Don Hume IWB neutral cant holster. I have practiced enough with this gun to feel comfortable carrying it as a backup. I won't pocket carry it because I don't have any extra pockets in my jeans, so IWB seems to be my next best option. I was messing around at the house today and I clipped the J-frame into my pants at about 1 o'clock (my preferred appendix carry position). It disappears along with my M&P under a normal sized t-shirt, and it doesn't seem to interfere with my primary weapon's positioning.

My questions are as follows: Does this seem to be practical at all? With 2 spare mags for my primary, should I just forget about carrying a backup?

Backup carry is great.

Do you have any concern that carrying two weapons on one side without the load balanced out will cause back issues in the future?

mhanna91
12-29-11, 13:51
I have considered it briefly. Bare in mind that I have 2 spare 17 round magazines right behind my left hip as well. With the M&P9FS at 3:00 and the backup gun at about 1:00, it really doesn't balance out too badly. That is 2.5 lbs on my right hip, 1.25 lbs right behind my left hip, and about 1 lb just to the right of my belt buckle. Also, I am in school right now with hopes of finishing in about a year and becoming an LEO, where I would be carrying ALOT more stuff around than this. I wouldn't think that 1 year of carrying like this will do any harm, and it may even help me get used to the feeling of carrying extra weight around my hips. But like anything else, one never knows.