PDA

View Full Version : Rifle tube with Carbine gas system

philipeggo
12-23-11, 11:05
Im pretty sure this has been asked before but im having trouble finding an answer through the search . I want to run a Sully Stock on my next build . I just want to confirm that ill have no problem using a rifle extension and associated parts with a carbine gas system . Im pretty sure thats what the Vltor A5 tube is for . This will be a dedicated magnified optic build so i would like the fixed stock in order to provide a bit more stability . Plus i want to experiment with one since ive never owned a fixed stock AR before. Thanks for the help .

Todd.K
12-23-11, 11:10
Short fixed stocks use a carbine spring and buffer.

philipeggo
12-23-11, 12:30
Hmm okay i was under the impression that A1 stocks use a rifle tube , and that a sully was about the same length . Thanks for the clarification.

Short fixed stocks use a carbine spring and buffer.

GTifosi
12-23-11, 13:27
A1 stocks do use a rifle extension.
A2 uses an A1 extension with a spacer at the butt end to make up the stock length difference.

Sully is a rifle extension cut down to a specific length and having the end cap rewelded there.
It uses a carbine spring and carbine buffer.

OAL with standard 1/2" buttstock pad is the almost the same as a mil spec 6 position carbine stock set at the 2nd hole from fully collapsed.
Talking like 1/4" or less depending on the carbine stock style/manufacturer.

Works fine with a carbine gas system and can be tweaked with H, H2 and H3 buffer if desired.