PDA

View Full Version : Barrel loose

liquidsniper
12-23-11, 14:51
I was playing around with my colt 6933 the other day when I noticed that I could visibly move the barrel when I applied pressure to it. I am not talking about barrel flex. I can take one finger and push the barrel a mm or two. However, after I take my finger off the barrel "moves" back into place. I am assuming this is not a good thing such as a loose barrel nut? Does anyone else have this issue? The rail is a URX II and I don't have the proper tools to remove it and verify. I also took the upper and lower apart and looked at the chamber to see if I could see any movement when I pushed on the barrel, I could not really tell if there was movement but there appeared to be. FYI the barrel is the factory original colt barrel. I have not shot this gun for groups in a long while, but it runs fine otherwise. What options do I have?

PS I did a search and the info I seemed to come up with is barrels being loose rotation wise, this is loose in that the barrel moves side to side between the rails.

Iraqgunz
12-23-11, 15:02
Who installed the URX? If you grasp the FSB and then grasp the upper receiver and twist them in opposite directions. If you feel movement then yes, something is loose.

I wouldn't shoot it until it gets resolved.

I was playing around with my colt 6933 the other day when I noticed that I could visibly move the barrel when I applied pressure to it. I am not talking about barrel flex. I can take one finger and push the barrel a mm or two. However, after I take my finger off the barrel "moves" back into place. I am assuming this is not a good thing such as a loose barrel nut? Does anyone else have this issue? The rail is a URX II and I don't have the proper tools to remove it and verify. I also took the upper and lower apart and looked at the chamber to see if I could see any movement when I pushed on the barrel, I could not really tell if there was movement but there appeared to be. FYI the barrel is the factory original colt barrel. I have not shot this gun for groups in a long while, but it runs fine otherwise. What options do I have?

liquidsniper
12-23-11, 15:05
Gun gallery in Jacksonville, FL installed it and they handle alot of AR's and get alot of support from KAC. I will try the rotational twist when I get home from work.

Clint
12-23-11, 15:18
PS I did a search and the info I seemed to come up with is barrels being loose rotation wise, this is loose in that the barrel moves side to side between the rails.

It's probably the same thing.

C4IGrant
12-23-11, 15:55

The URX rail is known to come loose. So what has happened is that the URX barrel nut (which is secured in place with loctite) has worked its way loose.

So you will need to find someone that has the URX wrench and have them re-install it.

C4

Suwannee Tim
12-23-11, 16:04
Gun gallery in Jacksonville, FL.......

Why am I not surprised. They brag and brag about their "customer service" but when I had a problem with a SIG P250 I bought from them, they wouldn't even return my phone call. And not because I was being unreasonable or a PITA. I called, talked to a manager, wait two weeks, call back, talk again, wait two weeks....... Most of the folks that work in this shop are more concerned with impressing the customer than serving the customer.

bakercountyboy
12-23-11, 17:51
[QUOTE= Most of the folks that work in this shop are more concerned with impressing the customer than serving the customer.[/QUOTE]

I could not have said it better myself!

P2000
12-23-11, 21:07
Could this simply be normal rail flex? On my SR-15, I can get side to side movement as the OP describes. You can see the gas block/gas tube slightly move (about 1-2mm) in relation to the notch of the front sight. It doesn't feel like a loose movement, but more like flex. You can feel the flex in the lower handguard section. However, up and down the barrel/rail feels solid. Zero rotational movement. The URX is a lightweight 2 piece rail...I think this is normal, but I am no KAC armorer.

ETA: When I hold the rifle by the upper/magwell and push on the barrel, the barrel does not move in relation to the rail. This also leads me to believe that the URX simply flexes a little.

Tweak
12-24-11, 22:04
how does it shoot?

P2000
12-26-11, 10:09
how does it shoot?

Mine shoots like a dream. Accuracy is good (for a CL lw barrel) and hasn't changed in 3k rounds since the rifle was purchased. Maybe another member can confirm that the URX does flex a little side to side?

I agree with IG, the op should check for any rotational movement of the barrel.

jonconsiglio
12-26-11, 10:41
Mine shoots like a dream. Accuracy is good (for a CL lw barrel) and hasn't changed in 3k rounds since the rifle was purchased. Maybe another member can confirm that the URX does flex a little side to side?

I agree with IG, the op should check for any rotational movement of the barrel.

Both of mine would flex rather easy compared to my RIS II's. But, almost all AAr's will show flex between the rail and barrel. I'd imagine the RIS II's having less flex has something to do with the way the RIS II has a completely solid front even with the bottom rail removed while the URX II is open at the front, if that makes sense. I could actually squeeze my side rails together a bit.

Flex doesn't bother me as it's pretty normal. I can easily tell when something is loose as it feels noticeably different.

I had one that worked itself loose and accuracy seriously suffered. I was on a hunting trip with Iraq Ninja, and I'll blame my hog and coyote misses on the loose barrel nut!!

As for Gun Gallery, I've dealt with Neil directly. I don't call the shop, I just email him directly and he always gets back to me within hours or the next day. I had him assemble my 14.5" as well as break down an SR15 upper. I have no clue about there service other than that. There have been times where I've dealt with a company numerous times then on a subsequent purchase, it was handled very different. I don't mind an issue amongst numerous good experiences but I do mind a lack of communication.

I think what some businesses forget (speaking in general, this comment has nothing to do with G&R or Gun Gallery) is that just one customer may lead to 10's of thousands in sales. I know of at least 6 or 7 (likely a handful more) people that have ordered at least $1,000 or more from Grant based on my recommendation and my 14.5" has lead to at least 4 others ordering the exact same set up from the same place.

liquidsniper
12-28-11, 13:04
Ok, tried the rotational twist, could not see the barrel twist in any way shape or form. If it did, the side to side wobble overshadows it completely. Shot some groups yesterday to see if I could diagnose the problem. The shots done were from a bench using a bag as a rest. Optic was an eotech EXPS-2 no magnification. Shot at 50yds. Ammo was American Eagle XM193. Shot one group of 11 rds. 5 MOA with a max spread of 2.6 inches.

Second group was 9 rounds (I know, higher math skills at work) 4.7 MOA with a max spread of 2.4 in.

So being that said, I know I am not a great shot but I am not a bad shot either. I never really shot the rifle for groups before this happened so I really have no benchmark to go off of unfortunately, however what say you in regards to group size and the correlation of a loose barrel?

I will also get in touch with gun gallery to see if they have had any problems with this before and see what they say.

Also, as far as the rail flexing, it is definitely not the rail. I am not even touching the rail when I move the barrel. With rail I know I can push on it and "Flex" it. With the barrel I can take 2 fingers and shift it a mm or two and it's not bending or "flexing."

Iraqgunz
12-28-11, 14:05
I think I would reach out to KAC and see what they say.

Ok, tried the rotational twist, could not see the barrel twist in any way shape or form. If it did, the side to side wobble overshadows it completely. Shot some groups yesterday to see if I could diagnose the problem. The shots done were from a bench using a bag as a rest. Optic was an eotech EXPS-2 no magnification. Shot at 50yds. Ammo was American Eagle XM193. Shot one group of 11 rds. 5 MOA with a max spread of 2.6 inches.

Second group was 9 rounds (I know, higher math skills at work) 4.7 MOA with a max spread of 2.4 in.

So being that said, I know I am not a great shot but I am not a bad shot either. I never really shot the rifle for groups before this happened so I really have no benchmark to go off of unfortunately, however what say you in regards to group size and the correlation of a loose barrel?

I will also get in touch with gun gallery to see if they have had any problems with this before and see what they say.

Also, as far as the rail flexing, it is definitely not the rail. I am not even touching the rail when I move the barrel. With rail I know I can push on it and "Flex" it. With the barrel I can take 2 fingers and shift it a mm or two and it's not bending or "flexing."

liquidsniper
02-21-12, 10:32
Just to give an update on this thread. I contacted KAC and they said send it to the installer. Contacted Neil at Gun Gallery and he said send it over and he would take a look at it. Turns out the barrel nut had come loose, no big deal he had it fixed and back to me within the week. Not only did he get the repair done promptly he sent it back with some goodies in the box including a KAC handstop! :D Very cool and totally unexpected by me! So a big thumbs up to gun gallery in Jacksonville for taking care of me!

Iraqgunz
02-21-12, 11:24
Thanks for the update.

Just to give an update on this thread. I contacted KAC and they said send it to the installer. Contacted Neil at Gun Gallery and he said send it over and he would take a look at it. Turns out the barrel nut had come loose, no big deal he had it fixed and back to me within the week. Not only did he get the repair done promptly he sent it back with some goodies in the box including a KAC handstop! :D Very cool and totally unexpected by me! So a big thumbs up to gun gallery in Jacksonville for taking care of me!

Oniak
02-22-12, 18:41
How many rounds had you put through it between having the URX installed and discovering the loose barrel?

jonconsiglio
02-23-12, 14:22

Good to hear, Neil is a great guy to deal with.

liquidsniper
02-28-12, 00:15
How many rounds had you put through it between having the URX installed and discovering the loose barrel?

Im guessing here but probably a couple hundred easily since I only discovered it when cleaning the gun and I usually don't clean till every 2nd or 3rd range trip.