PDA

View Full Version : Ameriglo Hack front with i-Dot Pro or Pro Operator?

Irish
12-23-11, 19:32
I've been running the Ameriglo Hackathorn sights on 2 Glock 19s and a G26 for the past year. After doing some low light stuff I want to convert the rear sight to a tritium sight, right now the standard Hack is plain black.

The I-Dot Pro uses a centered tritium vial presenting a 2 dot vertical alignment when used in conjunction with a tritium front sight. The Pro Operator uses 2 tritium vials in a more traditional 3 dot set up when used in conjunction with a tritium front sight.

What is your preference and why? I've used the 3 dot before but this would be my first 2 dot vertical system and I'm trying to understand the pros & cons before I place my order.

baddoggy
12-23-11, 19:38
2 dot feels faster but someone who has timed themselves should chime in.

vigilant2
12-23-11, 19:54
I've tried both traditional 3 dot and warren 2 dot and amero I-dot.
My preference remains 3 dot setups. During my time with the 2 dot setups I was fine in brightly lit areas and outdoors, however in low light, no light or dark targets my accuracy suffered from what I would call "vertical stringing" as I had no reference for vertical alignment with
the 2 dot. It would have to be by memory. As my vertical accuracy
suffered my speed with these sights suffered trying to make them work. Shots would be centered (just put green dot front over dimmer
yellow rear) but I would pretty much have a vertical string of holes down the center of the target, not acceptable to me. So back to the
traditional 3 dot.
I am 49yrs old going on 50, aging eyes, so your mileage may vary.
Some swear by 2 dot setups and would consider my current setup
"cluttered".

Irish
12-23-11, 20:52
During my time with the 2 dot setups I was fine in brightly lit areas and outdoors, however in low light, no light or dark targets my accuracy suffered from what I would call "vertical stringing" as I had no reference for vertical alignment with
the 2 dot. It would have to be by memory. As my vertical accuracy
suffered my speed with these sights suffered trying to make them work. Shots would be centered (just put green dot front over dimmer
yellow rear) but I would pretty much have a vertical string of holes down the center of the target, not acceptable to me. So back to the
traditional 3 dot.

My thoughts run parallel to yours without actually having run them yet.

SiGfever
12-23-11, 21:41
I run the Ameriglo ProGlo front and yellow Pro Operator rear on my G19. I find the contrast very quick to pickup. At night with the green front yellow rear contrast, it allows me to get the front sight on target quicker without having the three green dots blurring together as did my old green/green setup.

Irish
12-23-11, 22:44
I run the Ameriglo ProGlo front and yellow Pro Operator rear on my G19. I find the contrast very quick to pickup. At night with the green front yellow rear contrast, it allows me to get the front sight on target quicker without having the three green dots blurring together as did my old green/green setup.

That's the exact set up I'm going to go with. Thanks!

lebowski
12-24-11, 09:13

This is the setup I have. I have never run a 2-dot but I like the pro-operator rears.

What I like about the pro ops is the rear "dots" are very faint, so in daylight it's pretty close to a solid black rear. You can add to this by dotting each rear tritium with the tip of a sharpie (you can still see the tritium in the dark and I've found the sharpie wipes off easily of you don't like the results).