PDA

View Full Version : Chasing the coveted 1 MOA standing offhand 100 yard group...

a0cake
12-23-11, 21:06
Haven't caught it yet. The challenge is to shoot a 5 shot group at 100 yards that is 1 MOA or less while standing with no support.

I of course use a sling but no shooting jackets allowed.

I've had a fair amount of 1.25-1.5 MOA groups, a fair amount of 2-3 MOA groups. Most are around 4 MOA after a bit of warmup. But I've never hit the magic number. Have any of you?

ucrt
12-23-11, 22:02
a0cake,
I do it regularly using the "Cajun Method" of measuring groups. :)
In case you're wondering the Cajun Method is shooting 30-rounds and measuring the group of the 5-shots closest to each other. Simple... But not using this technique, I'm not even close. Good Job though!

Just wondering, what will you gun and ammo do with magnified optics and benchresting?

Dano5326
12-24-11, 08:37
:rolleyes:

sinister
12-24-11, 09:07
I have to ask, "What's your goal and why do you want it?"

I shot a 99 off-hand at 200 yards at the 2003 President's Match with an M16. Five rounds high at 300 for a 95. A 99 at 600. A 293-5 or 7X was good enough for twentieth and a President's Hundred tab.

Repeated in 2004, came in 100th by my fingernails.

Cross-fired on Command Sergeant Major Bobby Adams' 300-yard target in 2005 (he wasn't amused).

Suwannee Tim
12-24-11, 17:29
I did shoot a bug on the wing at 200 yards, offhand with a 7.62. I was shooting and saw a large flying bug cross the crosshairs right as the shot broke. Sure as heck, the target was splattered with bug guts. Should have taken a picture. Didn't have a camera.

Littlelebowski
12-24-11, 18:15
Hasty sling or loop sling?

Heavy Metal
12-24-11, 18:27
Haven't caught it yet. The challenge is to shoot a 5 shot group at 100 yards that is 1 MOA or less while standing with no support.

I of course use a sling but no shooting jackets allowed.

I've had a fair amount of 1.25-1.5 MOA groups, a fair amount of 2-3 MOA groups. Most are around 4 MOA after a bit of warmup. But I've never hit the magic number. Have any of you?

If you give an infinite number of Chimpanzees an infinite number of Typewriters, one of them will eventually produce the complete works of William Shakespeare.

I think you goal lacks realism. If you want to shoot that well with consistancy and repeatability, you better have Skynet turn you into a Terminator.

Suwannee Tim
12-24-11, 18:41
I shoot at 200 yards, usually a magazine full, 20 or 30 per bull, I'm shooting about 4 to 5 m.o.a. I've seen several four, five or six shot groups that might have been 2 inches or so. Shot one Friday, stopped at five, nice tight five shot group, showed a couple of friends, then continued and watched the group open up to the usual 8 or 9 or 10 inches. So, yeah, I've done it a couple of times. I shoot a lot of 22s at 50 yards, same 4 to 5 moa, I've seen enough small five shot groups that I don't pay them much mind. There is some randomness to the shots and if you shoot enough you will see some freakishly small groups. It really doesn't prove much though it is fun when it happens.

Of course there is the Internet method. Shoot a 20 shot group. Throw out the 10 "obvious fliers" and the 5 "I pulled". Viola. Five shot one inch groups, "all day long."

My question is how come the damned groups always get bigger. Once, just once I'd like to see a group start out at 4 or 5 m.o.a. then shrink down to 1 m.o.a. or so.

a0cake
12-24-11, 19:23
I have to ask, "What's your goal and why do you want it?"

No particular reason. It's just something my shooting group came up with as a fun challenge. There's not a real world applicable goal or anything. I just enjoy shooting and this challenge is something I like to do in my off time aside from actual training. Of course it's not something I expect to do regularly. I just want to see 5 shots into an MOA group at 100 for my own satisfaction. A broken clock is right twice a day, and I want to see it. Sometimes it's more about having a good time than anything.

a0cake
12-24-11, 19:25
:rolleyes:

Is this your way of calling bullshit? I don't get it.

Suwannee Tim
12-24-11, 20:05
No particular reason......

I do a lot of things for that very reason. Because. That's why.

a0cake
12-24-11, 21:03
a0cake,

Just wondering, what will your gun and ammo do with magnified optics and benchresting?

The rifle that I use for this is an 18" BCM SS410. The long LOP with the A2 stock and burnsed loop which adds 3/8" or so really helps with this type of shooting. I've posted some groups previously from this rifle. 10 shot groups from the bench with SMK's are in the .5 to .75 range generally.

For the offhand shooting I use 9X magnification.

TomMcC
12-24-11, 22:08
I used to shoot high power rifle, and some of those guys could shoot pretty close to moa from the prone, but to shoot moa off hand, seems unlikely. But if you pull it off let us know. Man I wish I could shoot that well offhand.

skyugo
12-25-11, 01:30
i think i pulled 3MOA at 100 yards offhand once with my old AR. 1 moa is just a dream so far. :o

ST911
12-25-11, 11:59
It's a pretty good day when I'm shooting 1 MOA/100yds from the supported prone. Standing unsupported in the attempt, I'm probably wasting ammunition.