PDA

View Full Version : Bushmaster XM15-e2s stock removal question.

jesterking
12-07-07, 14:08
ok, not sure if this is the right place to post this... new here :) But i have a bushmaster XM15-e2s. This rifle has a fixed adjustable stock. Meaning the stock wont collapse but it is a collapsible one... lose anyone yet? I purchased it in NY, and recently moved to OH. I am trying to get the stock off of the rifle, but as much as I try with the spanner wrench the nut will not budge. Now when I purchased this rifle, they mentioned something about it being welded. I assumed it was just the collapsible part and not the nut. Is it a typical practice to have the nut welded on so that the owner wont go against state laws? If so, I think I will be quite depressed that I can not change out the stock... Thanks!

TUNNEL RAT 33
12-07-07, 14:14
i have the same rifle - bought it in new york before the ban expired . when i removed the pinned fake stock to put the new real collapseable one on i had to use some force to loosen the castle nut . it wasnt staked or welded at the nut its just on there friggin tight . the part that is welded or pinned is the actual stock part and not the tube or the castle nut . be careful about the little spring when you get the stock off - it'll run away on you .

jesterking
12-07-07, 14:19
Thanks for the incite! I'm going to have to try a jack hammer or something. I used the spanner wrench along with a hammer and no luck (im not weakling either ;) ) This is why I thought it might be welded. Also, I just purchased mine in September... Any suggestions on how to get the castle nut off... I am at my ends wit with it. Not to mention my hands are aching from it.

TUNNEL RAT 33
12-07-07, 14:27
try mounting the lower in a gun vise . i remember mine was a biotch to get off . however when i changed the stock on my POF it wasnt so difficult . you might want to give Grant or one of the other regulars on this site a pm or call grants shop . the knowledge base on this site is great . goodluck !where in new york did you buy that bushy ?

jesterking
12-07-07, 14:29
picked it up at Lounsbury's sporting goods in middletown. Thanks for all your help! gave me a good starting base to work with :)

jesterking
12-07-07, 18:13
I think i am just going to bring it to a local gun repair shop... spend a few bucks and have them remove it for me before I scratch the rifle up anymore! :) I found one that is only 2.2 miles down the road from me! I'm giving them a call tomorrow :). I will let ya know how i turn out! :cool:

C4IGrant
12-07-07, 18:17
Ohio!!! Great, now there is 3 of us on the forum! :D

Where are you in Ohio?

C4

jesterking
12-07-07, 18:21
well i am only really here until next summer! then its back to NY... Work has me move around, and I am currently outside Canton. But who knows where I will be next month...

C4IGrant
12-07-07, 18:26
well i am only really here until next summer! then its back to NY... Work has me move around, and I am currently outside Canton. But who knows where I will be next month...

Outside of Caton huh? Our shop is just south of Canton (off Route 800).

C4

jesterking
12-08-07, 14:28
Actually, after some muscle i did remove it! I will most likely be moving back to NY in the next year or so, so does anyone know if collapsible stocks are legal in NY?

TUNNEL RAT 33
12-09-07, 00:16
yes they are !!!

jesterking
12-10-07, 10:11
Hmmmm... I just asked my Boss back in NY when they think i will be moving back. Looks like aug or so. Anyways, I asked Bushmaster for information on the stocks and this is what they gave me on NY laws:

Hello,
Sorry, NY State Law does not allow a collapsible telestock.
Subject: Ban sunset

Now that the Federal Assault Weapons Ban has expired the "pre
ban" features of barrels with threaded muzzles, flash hiders, bayonet
lugs and collapsible telestocks can be installed on the "post ban"
rifles.
Some States such as California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New
Jersey, New York and Puerto Rico have Laws that prohibit them from being
installed.
California, Hawaii, Massachusetts and New York limit
magazine capacity to 10 rounds. Maryland limits magazine capacity to 20
rounds. New Jersey limits magazine capacity to 15 rounds but only 10
round magazines are available.

which is funny, because I remember in Aug back in NY, seeing a mossberg with a collapsible stock on it... Can dealers get baned parts in NY? I'm not going to put the new stock on, especially if i have to travel with it back to NY... Actually I am going to be going back to NY in a week or so, and I think I will just store the rifle at my rents house...

MX5
12-10-07, 10:31
Jester - since you're outside of Canton, look-up Greenport Tactical in the Spring. They're closed for Winter, but watch their website around March for details of their 2008 shooting season. Nice range.

http://www.gta.dynalias.org

TUNNEL RAT 33
12-10-07, 11:03
my gun shop sells all their m4's with collapsable stocks on them - and bushmaster even sold and shipped the collapsable stock that i retrofitted to my preban m4 . do what you want to your rifle you'll be ok !

jesterking
12-10-07, 13:32
Where ya from in NY?

ARmed&Dangerous
12-10-07, 22:33
Yeah, I'm curious to know also, as I have seen a lot of mossberg shottys around here with collapsible stocks.....so I dont know why it would be illegal to have an AR15 with a collapsible stock...

Leonidas
12-10-07, 23:53
If you have a hankering to head down to Grant's shop let me know. I'll probably be heading down there sometime this week when he gets some PRI ammo in. You can ride down with me if you want.

TUNNEL RAT 33
12-11-07, 01:05
i'm on long island , i'm familiar with the middletown area though - as my folks retired to just over the P.A. border from there . yeah do whhat you want to your gun - just no suppressors or sbr's

ARmed&Dangerous
12-11-07, 07:44
i'm on long island , i'm familiar with the middletown area though - as my folks retired to just over the P.A. border from there . yeah do whhat you want to your gun - just no suppressors or sbr's

you mean flash suppressors?

whats sbr's? short barrels?

jesterking
12-11-07, 10:03
yeah birdcages ;) and silencers! I am heading back to NY in a few days, so most likely no go on Grant's shop... Thanks for the offer though Leo. I have a feeling they are going to bring me back to NY soon... They have been mentioning it a lot lately... Anywho, I will be driving, and bringing my rifle. So when I go I will see if I can find a shop to sell me a stock. If none in NY, than I will just hop the boarder to PA.

TUNNEL RAT 33
12-11-07, 12:10
short barreled rifles - nothing under 16 inches - no silencers . flash supressors are ok . you can order lmt or a nice magpul and they will ship to new york ,if you have a problem finding a shop with them in stock .

jesterking
12-11-07, 12:14
What type do you have on yours?

ARmed&Dangerous
12-11-07, 12:37
yeah birdcages ;) and silencers! I am heading back to NY in a few days, so most likely no go on Grant's shop... Thanks for the offer though Leo. I have a feeling they are going to bring me back to NY soon... They have been mentioning it a lot lately... Anywho, I will be driving, and bringing my rifle. So when I go I will see if I can find a shop to sell me a stock. If none in NY, than I will just hop the boarder to PA.

Just buy a stock from an online vendor...

TUNNEL RAT 33
12-11-07, 16:49
i have a lmt stock on my pof - which also has a votex flash supressor , and on my bushy i have a magpul ctr , but since i got it during the ban it has a minicmp muzzle break . i thought about changing it but i kinda like it . in fact the only thing that is still original is the upper and lower the barrel and the muzzel break .