PDA

View Full Version : Integral look w/AAC Ratchet Mount Can?

Polymerhead
12-24-11, 09:48
So, is there a common solution for those who want an integrally-suppressed look but with a ratchet mount can? JP makes an extension for their handguard, but are there other options? Ideally I'd be looking for something with a quick-detatch lug, sort of like the Hornady Lock N Load die bushing. I would think that concept plus a throw lever would make for a great quick-change handguard. I don't know if you could get repeatable return to zero for a front sight, but I don't really need one. This is mostly for a range toy.

viperashes
12-26-11, 02:50
The question is, Why? Why have a QD suppressor if you want an integral suppressor "look". That totally defeats the purpose of the QD. Second of all, are you sure you mean integrally suppressed, or a thread on suppressor? Why you would want to have to take your handguard off every time you want to take the suppressor off is beyond me. Even for a range toy, this sounds like more of a pain in the ass than it is worth even trying to figure out.

JasonM
12-26-11, 08:28
Nevermind the ratchet-under-the-rail issues, but having spent sometime shooting suppressed rifles with the can under the handguard, I would NEVER run this setup. The heat generated after just one fairly rapid mag is awful... even with gloves, it's uncomfortable after as few as 2 full mags.

The setup works fine in 9mm, but is a bad idea for a rifle. YMMV.

Eurodriver
12-26-11, 09:37
Nevermind the ratchet-under-the-rail issues, but having spent sometime shooting suppressed rifles with the can under the handguard, I would NEVER run this setup. The heat generated after just one fairly rapid mag is awful... even with gloves, it's uncomfortable after as few as 2 full mags.

The setup works fine in 9mm, but is a bad idea for a rifle. YMMV.

But...but Spikes Tactical made one!

rjacobs
12-26-11, 10:18
But...but Spikes Tactical made one!

Not defending Spikes, but theirs is for 300blackout if I recall and its intended to shoot subsonic ammo, which doesnt have near the pressure or heat that 5.56 supersonic loads have.

Eurodriver
12-26-11, 10:31
Not defending Spikes, but theirs is for 300blackout if I recall and its intended to shoot subsonic ammo, which doesnt have near the pressure or heat that 5.56 supersonic loads have.

You are incorrect.

Research the MRS-1 suppressor and the ST Compressor SBR.

rjacobs
12-26-11, 10:34
You are incorrect.

Research the MRS-1 suppressor and the ST Compressor SBR.

The last time I looked at them, all they had was the 300 blackout version. I guess the 5.56 version is a very recent introduction or has it been out for quite a while?

Eurodriver
12-26-11, 10:43
I think they've been out since the middle of November.

I stumbled across them when I caught my friend looking in the Arfcom ST Forum's picture thread. Here is what goes on over there. :D

http://www.axial-photography.com/Other/Spikes-AR-Pistol/i-kPZmPxH/0/L/Spikes-Awesome-3-L.jpg

I'll forever wonder if the Mall Ninja crowd wants what Spikes sells or if Spikes is selling what they want. Its one of those "Chicken or the egg" questions.

I'm curious how they mount. Is it a reflex design? Ratchet? The suppressor has to be removable somehow. Is it just 1/2x28 threads?

Polymerhead
12-26-11, 16:39
The question is, Why? Why have a QD suppressor if you want an integral suppressor "look". That totally defeats the purpose of the QD. Second of all, are you sure you mean integrally suppressed, or a thread on suppressor? Why you would want to have to take your handguard off every time you want to take the suppressor off is beyond me. Even for a range toy, this sounds like more of a pain in the ass than it is worth even trying to figure out.

The answer is "Because!" But if you want more specifics, I'd like to run a short 8 or 9" barrel with my 762SD but would like more rail than the carbine length offers. It doesn't defeat the purpose of QD, it would RETAIN the purpose of QD. It is a pain in the ass with a standard free-float tube. That's exactly the point of the question.

Todd.K
12-26-11, 22:28
Get a thread on silencer.

Install a mount in the silencer and use it like a thread on.

viperashes
12-26-11, 22:35
The answer is "Because!" But if you want more specifics, I'd like to run a short 8 or 9" barrel with my 762SD but would like more rail than the carbine length offers. It doesn't defeat the purpose of QD, it would RETAIN the purpose of QD. It is a pain in the ass with a standard free-float tube. That's exactly the point of the question.

The other answers in the thread have pretty much covered why it's not a good idea. Having the suppressor under the handguards for a 5.56 upper will soak a shit ton of heat and become VERY intolerable after about a mag. Also, by putting the suppressor under the handguard, you're going to play hell getting the suppressor off if you choose to take it off, which I'm guessing you will. The 762SD isn't a spring mount, as I'm sure you're well aware, which means you have to press the latch until the suppressor clears the ratchet so you can spin it off, which is going to be retarded annoying to pull the suppressor off. Thirdly, that means if you put a handguard over the suppressor, you're going to have to run that upper 100% suppressed.

With an 8 or 9" barrel, you're severely limited in what is practical, or in what is even usable for rail length. If you had a threaded suppressor, this might be a little easier to justify, but I'm sure many would still advise against it. Think about the fact that a suppressor can get upwards of about 800* and tell me that you want to put your hand directly over the top of it. Gloves or not, your hand is going to have a really bad day if you try.

wahoo95
12-26-11, 23:37
I think they've been out since the middle of November.

I stumbled across them when I caught my friend looking in the Arfcom ST Forum's picture thread. Here is what goes on over there. :D

http://www.axial-photography.com/Other/Spikes-AR-Pistol/i-kPZmPxH/0/L/Spikes-Awesome-3-L.jpg

I'll forever wonder if the Mall Ninja crowd wants what Spikes sells or if Spikes is selling what they want. Its one of those "Chicken or the egg" questions.

I'm curious how they mount. Is it a reflex design? Ratchet? The suppressor has to be removable somehow. Is it just 1/2x28 threads?
Their new cans are a a modified version of the OPS Inc cans and use a mounting set up that is nearly identical with slight differences.

The 5.56 Compressor has been available for some time now....it came before the 300. Have never read a range report on one to see how they performed.

Polymerhead
12-27-11, 17:43
Thanks everyone for the replies. Heat is definitely a concern, though this will be 99% for subsonic 330 BLK use. I'll let you know if anything comes of it.

JasonM
12-27-11, 22:13
Thanks everyone for the replies. Heat is definitely a concern, though this will be 99% for subsonic 330 BLK use. I'll let you know if anything comes of it.

Don't have any illusions about sub 300BLK rounds.. they may be slower bullets but they still are rifle rounds and they still heat up a can real quick. Good luck in your quest.

5cary
12-28-11, 19:23
Get a thread on silencer.

Install a mount in the silencer and use it like a thread on.

Todd: For clarification, do you mean "Get a QD silencer"...and use it like a thread on (with a mount installed)? I'm not following you (and if this is what you mean, I find it an interesting approach).

Todd.K
12-28-11, 19:43
Todd: For clarification, do you mean "Get a QD silencer"...and use it like a thread on (with a mount installed)? I'm not following you (and if this is what you mean, I find it an interesting approach).

The OP already has a QD silencer. So you could tighten the mount into the silencer and then thread the whole thing on and off of muzzle threads.

I'd recommend a thread mount if you are looking to buy a silencer and want to attach it under a handguard. Or better yet don't put it under the handguard, it will get too hot to hold pretty quick.