PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Hold Terms

rickp
12-24-11, 10:05
Hey guys,
I'm trying to to remember a couple of shooting hold terms and I'm having an absolute brain fart. I had them somewhere but since they're not terms I normally use, I can't remember them to same my live right now

One of the terms is a light favor hold. If I remember right thats a hold to the edge of the head but I can't remember right.
The other is the full hold, which "I THINK" was a full hold to the target edge.

Thanks guys.

sinister
12-24-11, 10:29
Whatever you use it's got to be completely understood between both shooter and coach so neither gets confused, then angry.

"Shade," "Thought," "Hold," and "Favor" come from either bullseye shooting or sniping between a pair or team that have practiced together awhile. With irons this could mean halfway between the center of the front sight or the outer edge.

"Five right" and "Ten right" originated from holding on the neckline or edge of a GI E-type silhouette (roughly five and ten inches from centerline) using the telescope reticle's vertical crosshair. Snipers generally use mils nowadays.

Jack-O
12-24-11, 11:35
I'm with sinister on this 100%

Communication with your spotter does not happen naturally it has to be built thru experience. Having a spotting scope with a reticle of the type your shooter has is a GREAT help and can make calls precise. Otherwise descriptive language used must be in terms of the target and things around the target (half a target width left and just off the bottom edge).

Developing your own language with your spotter is natural and efficient. Using common terms and measurements based on the target area can make changing spotters or shooters easier.

I will note that in a field environment, making calls in "feet, yards, inches" is a fail waiting to happen. everyone sees those measurements different at range and they are never right.

My $.02:)

jackinfl
12-24-11, 12:36
Rick,
Lets use hard calls. Either edge or center of the target. Or Lets use Mil corrections. .5 mils right, would indicate change your hold 1/2 mil to the right. Main cros hairs move in the direction of the call.

I think that makes more sense than a smidge or a RCH. More definite speach and less jargon.

What do you think?

mark5pt56
12-24-11, 12:40
Relative to the target size

favor is half the distance from center

Hold is on the edge

Thereafter, go with mils or--- you can use them form the start.

If someone doesn't have a mil or even moa reticle, you can reference the target size for additional hold.

kartoffel
12-25-11, 09:34
Hey guys,
I'm trying to to remember a couple of shooting hold terms and I'm having an absolute brain fart. I had them somewhere but since they're not terms I normally use, I can't remember them to same my live right now

One of the terms is a light favor hold. If I remember right thats a hold to the edge of the head but I can't remember right.
The other is the full hold, which "I THINK" was a full hold to the target edge.

Thanks guys.

First of all, if you're spotting with a partner, work out a system that works for you.

"Light favor" sounds kind of like a "line of white" hold as found in high power and bullseye competition. You leave a barely perceptible sliver of white between you frond sight and the edge of the black target. Obviously this only works if you are shooting black circles of known size which are conveniently located against white backgrounds. However, for competition shooting a line of white hold can be more consistent in varied lighting conditions.

Opposite of line of white would be "flat tire". You stick the front sight into the bullseye slightly. Again, this is for enhanced repeatability in variable lighting conditions.

rickp
12-27-11, 21:51
I'm with Jackinfl. That's how we call out holds. For example hold .5 mils right or hold 1.2 mils left etc....

What I'm asking is if anyone is familiar with the terms i posted originally? I heard the term a while back with the explanation of what it meant, but I don't remember it. Just the other day I heard someone else using that similar term but again, I can't remember how it works.

I was hoping someone here knows the term and how it works. I'm just curious about it.
So far the explanations I've read is not how those guys were using it. BTW they were military, not civilians shooting competition. The communication was between spotter and shooter.

Thanks guys.
R.