PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have health issues with casting bullets?

Microalign
12-24-11, 12:56
I'm just getting into reloading, and I've noticed that bullets seem to be the most expensive component to buy. I've been looking at the cost savings of casting lead bullets it is becoming very appealing. My wife and I are thinking about working on our first baby, and I have been concerned about exposing myself, my wife, and my kid to lead that may(or may not) cause health issues.

I'm curious of you guys that have cast your own bullets for years have been to the doctor and gotten a slap on the wrist after your blood work came back. There seems to be a lot of speculation on the health issues of lead exposure, and I was hoping to hear some first hand accounts from hand loaders. Thanks.

wesprt
12-24-11, 14:57
I've casted thousands huddled over a pot of molten lead in the driveway :D Long as you keep the lead at the right temperature and not too hot lead exposure via inhalation isn't a big deal, especially if you cast out in the open air. Lead on skin is easily dealt with by taking shower afterward and washing your clothes. Unless you cast every day or practice bad safety habits it shouldn't be an issue. Most of the time we'd cast all the bullets we were going to use for the next month or two in one session, so that really doesn't add up to much in the way of exposure over the course of a year.

If you go to the Cast Boolits forum and search health issues there are lots of them that even cast inside garages and have been tested to have negligible amounts of lead in their body.

nicholst55
12-24-11, 23:09
Don't eat lead, and you'll be fine. No eating, drinking, smoking, or chewing until you thoroughly wash your hands. There's a greater danger of lead contamination from the media dust generated by your brass tumbler than there is by casting bullets.

Microalign
12-26-11, 07:48
Thanks. I guess I'm going to have to get the Lyman Master Caster's kit to get me started. Looks like I'd save quite a bit of money making my own bullets, and it looks like fun too. :)

Bret
12-26-11, 14:07
I had a blood test done about ten years ago and my doctor said that my lead level was much higher than it is for most people. He said that it was on par with the lead level that a typical person had back during the '70's before lead was removed from automobile gasoline and paint. The interesting thing is that the expose came from reloading jacketed bullets and/or shooting as I didn't and still don't reload lead bullets. The test results were enough to convince me that I didn't need to do anything else to increase my lead exposure. My guess is that most of the exposure actually came from shooting at poorly ventelated indoor ranges. I now reload mostly JHP's because they don't have lead exposed bases.

My recommendation is that you don't risk increasing your exposure to lead at this point. I'm the father of an autistic son. I can tell you from personal experience that if something does go wrong with your child's development, you'll torture yourself wondering what you could have possibly done differently.

Shabazz
12-26-11, 16:20
I have been concerned about exposing myself, my wife, and my kid to lead

Don't do it. Not worth the risk.

Microalign
12-26-11, 16:29
Well.....maybe I will hold off.....at least for a while and do more research. I guess I'll go with TMJ bullets to limit lead exposure, and be really careful with the brass tumbler. I would like to get into casting eventually though.

wesprt
12-26-11, 17:57
Don't do it. Not worth the risk.

What are you basing this opinon on? Lead isn't as bad as those dopes in California would have you believe. If you take the most basic precautions it won't be a problem.

People managed to not get lead poisoning when it was in gasoline and vaporized into the air all across the entire country, casting and shooting some bullets every now and again isn't going to do shit.

xrayoneone
12-26-11, 19:31
I was just tested for lead two months ago for my job. In the allowed range I was a 4, which is negligible.

Bret
12-26-11, 20:14
When I was tested about ten years ago, I measured in the twenties. I don't remember the unit of measure though.

Raven Armament
12-26-11, 22:26
Been casting bullets for a few years now commercially. I have two children under 5yo. I've been tested and they have too. We're fine.

When handling lead, don't be dumb. Don't eat or drink around it or after it without washing up. Cast in a well ventilated area. Go on with life.

BravoGolf59
12-26-11, 22:26
I just recently had my annual blood test. I asked specifically for lead to be added to the test as it is not normally included. I've been reloading a little over a year (jacketed bullets) and do some matches. It came out as a 2.

If i were starting a family, I probably would hold off on the lead casting. But, we're done!

Generalpie
12-27-11, 00:13
I wouldn't pass on casting (or tumbling for that matter) over concerns of lead. Just take the basic precautions mentioned and you are good to go.

However, unless you have a very good supply of materials and your time is free you are unlikely to save enough to make it worth while. When I did some looking at doing casting it just wasn't worth it for me.

I found that buy purchasing in bulk (often with 2 or 3 of us kicking in) it just wasn't worth my time to break into it. Your mileage may vary. Perhaps if I had the equipment already it would be different.

GunnutAF
12-27-11, 01:15
Microalign
Been casting for 25 plus years , eating game shot with lead all my life!
When I got test awhile back my level was lower then a 2 year old! Way below any toxic level. So don't worry about it get to casting. Don't let the EPA scare you - most of there science is BS anyway!:bad: Understand - lead is only a danger when in vapor or fine granular/powder form( microscopic form).

markm
12-27-11, 07:56
I wouldn't worry about casting lead. As stated... loading Jacketed poorly will get you higher lead levels.

A corn cob tumbler is a MUCH higher lead exposure risk than casting.

nineteenkilo
12-27-11, 16:15
What are you basing this opinon on? Lead isn't as bad as those dopes in California would have you believe. If you take the most basic precautions it won't be a problem.

People managed to not get lead poisoning when it was in gasoline and vaporized into the air all across the entire country, casting and shooting some bullets every now and again isn't going to do shit.

I couldn't have said it better. I cast and reload - a lot! I've been tested and have never had any problems. I have three kids under the age of 10 and have no reservations about it as long as some basic precautions are taken. (e.g Don't run a tumbler next to a vaporizer in your bedroom at night.)

I'm from the deep South and I'm far more concerned with the 'baked-only' school lunches. We had to add bacon at every supper to make sure they got their daily allowance of grease. ;)