PDA

View Full Version : Carrier Tilt.

PA PATRIOT
12-24-11, 13:00
I have finally taken the plunge and purchased my first complete piston upper manufactured by Adams Arms. I have read about a certain issue associated with piston driven AR's called Carrier Tilt.

Were would the likely areas of increased wear or damage occur inside the receiver or buffer tube associated with this condition?

I have heard some things about a modified buffer tube that prevents carrier tilt in piston AR's but have not been able to locate information that they actually work.

Thanks!

Sorry if this has been asked before but the search function runs continuously for me and returns no results.

ryan
12-24-11, 13:02
After my short experiment with a SR556, carrier tilt was most visible around the buffer retainer.

The Seth Harness buffers are the only thing I have 'heard' of that work, he is a member here.

ryan
12-24-11, 13:04
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=15453

extrication
12-24-11, 13:20
Some report visible wear. I just purchased my second and have no issues. Time will tell, but with the new BCG the issue has been resolved for most. If you observe a problem, PWS sells an enhanced tube. What configuration did you buy?

PA PATRIOT
12-24-11, 13:54
I picked up the Adams Arms 5.56 Base M complete upper which is a Mid-Lenght 16" flat top/gas block model for $449.00 shipped.

http://adamsarms.net/products/Mid%20Base%20L.jpg
The Adams Arms Standard 5.56 Midlength Piston Upper
•Midlength Gas Piston System
•16" Midlength Melonited Barrel
•Chambered in 5.56 NATO
•M4 Feed Ramps
•1:7 Right Handed Twist
•M4 Style Handguard and Handguard Cap
•A2 Flash Hider

http://adamsarms.net/

m4brian
12-24-11, 14:20
From the AA site:

Q. What is carrier tilt and should I be concerned?
A. Carrier tilt is a symptom of a problem not the actual problem. The actual problem is sloppy or loose tolerances in the receiver. Our one-piece carrier combined with our bolt spring eliminates carrier tilt in even the sloppiest of receivers. For those who have normal mil/industry spec AR’s, the design of our system does not have an issue with carrier tilt. The fact is piston systems on the market vary from manufacturer to manufacturer we believe that ours has several design features that benefit over the competition in the market.

extrication
12-24-11, 14:27
Very nice. I've had zero malfunctions with my 16" mid. It eats any type of ammo and the accuracy has been very good. I switched to the pistons to keep the spent powder out of my face after a lung injury. My experience with them is nothing but positive. Good luck.

velodemon
12-24-11, 17:44
I've got a 5.45 Huldra Arms upper (which is a rebadged AA upper). I have 1200+ rounds through it with no signs of carrier tilt. I liked it so much I purchased a 5.56 mid length AA upper.

DeltaSierra
12-24-11, 18:32
Shortly after piston guns started hitting the market, I bought one...

After 500 rounds or so, the carrier tilt got so bad that it was eating away at the left side of upper receiver.

I won't buy another piston gun operated AR-15, unless the Colt piston carbine proves itself worthy of my respect...:secret: