PDA

View Full Version : Mid or carbine gas system for suppressor?

Eagle1*
12-24-11, 13:35
Just wondering if one or the other is a better option for using a suppressor on the gun? I have a carbine length Noveske and my gun runs fine but was thinking of getting a mid length gas system upper to try and was wondering if one is better than the other? Thanks..

Eurodriver
12-24-11, 15:50
Personally, I don't like running anything longer than 12.5" suppressed as the can adds alot of weight. That leaves midlengths out.

However, both will suit your needs. I just shot a 14.5" Middy suppressed today.

Eagle1*
12-24-11, 16:50
it is on a 14.5 noveske...

Sid Post
12-27-11, 07:21
On a 14.5" upper, I'd go with the mid-length gas personally. It will be easier on the components in the upper with reduced gas pressure and parts velocity.

I doubt the suppressor would know the difference or, you would get less or more gas in the face.

Hopefully, someone who has run both side-by-side will chime in with their experiences.

markm
12-27-11, 07:28
On a 14.5" upper, I'd go with the mid-length gas personally. It will be easier on the components in the upper with reduced gas pressure and parts velocity.

I doubt the suppressor would know the difference or, you would get less or more gas in the face.

Hopefully, someone who has run both side-by-side will chime in with their experiences.

I agree. I've run them both. It'll be unique to the barrel and port size, etc.

But the 14.5 middy is optimal in my experience. (BCM) The carbine is already high pressure... mine works with the can, but I'm running an H3 buffer I think.... the 14.5 mid runs good with an H buffer.

I'm the opposite on barrel length/silencer.... I run SBRs for the short barrel. Last thing I want is to hang a can on the end and negate the barrel size.

Eurodriver
12-27-11, 07:49
I agree. I've run them both. It'll be unique to the barrel and port size, etc.

But the 14.5 middy is optimal in my experience. (BCM) The carbine is already high pressure... mine works with the can, but I'm running an H3 buffer I think.... the 14.5 mid runs good with an H buffer.

I'm the opposite on barrel length/silencer.... I run SBRs for the short barrel. Last thing I want is to hang a can on the end and negate the barrel size.

I used to feel the same way you do until I tried them side by side.

The 14.5" Colt M4 w/ H buffer felt decent with little gas blowback while suppressed while my 14.5" BCM Middy w/ H2 buffer is pretty violent.

Of course this is assuming the carbine isn't overgassed from the beginning like a Bushmaster or other Hobby Grade AR would be.

I do not like the blast of SBRs, which is why I only run them suppressed. :p

markm
12-27-11, 08:04
My BCM 14.5 middy almost needs the suppressor to bring it up to speed with .223 pressure ammo.