PDA

View Full Version : 300 Blackout purchase question

r1013
12-25-11, 00:43
Hello!! I really have just now gotten financially, where I can purchase guns. My first was a few months ago and it was a Kahr CM9, I love it! My next purchases will be a tactical rifle, Glock 17, 19 or 23?? and then a Saiga or Mossburg shotgun.

I have debated back and forth and side ways over an AK47/74 and an AR. I see good and bad in both and its almost a toss up. My dad is ex-military and later worked for the government in small arms for 20 years before retiring. He spent most days cleaning and sometimes shooting AR's. To me, he is the MAN and my hero!! He said stay away from AR's, but something keeps pulling me in that direction!!!

That said, I am almost sold on the 300 blackout!!! I want to buy only ONE tactical rifle and know it well. My brother has an M-14 and I want to go shooting with him and my dad for fun and a bonding kinda thing. I want it for home defense (of course the shotgun will work better for that). I want to also deer hunt! The 300 seems to fit great, I think, since I normally use a 30/30!

Now, I have two questions. One seems obvious but I cant find where anyone has posted about it. I understand you can go from a regular 5.56 to a 300 blackout with just a barrel change. I am assuming you can do the opposite right?? It other words, since the ammo is very high for the blackout, I would like to be able to shoot 5.56 if I choose to

The next question is ,where is the best place to buy a 300 blackout? I seen last week that Cheaper than dirt had the complete CMMG rifle for $900+. There now sold out. I put myself on a list when there back in stock. It looks like the setup I would like to start with. Is there another place with a similar or better price in stock (I just got paid LOL)? I'm fine buying the upper and lower differently but since I am totally NEW to this I'm not sure what to get. I know I want a 16" barrell, Collapsible Stock, and a rail system like the CMMG. I don't want to go over $1000 for now. Later I can add accessories to it. Suggestions on that would be much appreciated to!!!

I just got home from work, now Im off to bed for 4 hours sleep and then to work 18 hours on Christmas! Oh yeah!

Oh, I thought I would share a story my dad told me from working in small arms related to barrels. One day they got in 30,000 AR barrels and the boss man didn't like the color black they arrived in. He had them repainted another shade of black. He still didn't like the color. He attempted to return them, but the company wouldn't take them back. He then ordered them destroyed! How insane!! Anyway I must get some sleep! Any advice is very much appreciated.

mkmckinley
12-25-11, 06:33
Holy shit where to start. Did you read any of the stickies? They will answer most of your questions. I'm just going to do this in list format.

Get a good 16" AR in 5.56 from Colt, Daniel Defense, Bravo Company, or Noveske. You can get one of these for around $1000 or just under in some cases. I believe GandRtactical.com is offering really good prices on Colts currently.

Do not, under any circumstances, buy anything from CTD, CMMG, Bushmaster, DPMS, Olympic, Armalite.

Don't buy an M1A, SIG 556, FAL, or AK

Add a sling from Blue Force Gear, a good weaponlight, and a handguard that will allow you to attach the light and sling.

I understand your respect for your father but he might not know everything about using and training with ARs.

Don't worry about getting an AR spotlessly clean. Wipe off the loose stuff, lube it and it will run fine.

Stick with the 30-30 for hunting or get a supplemental 300 BLK upper. You need at least one AR in 5.56

Get more sleep and stop using so many goddamn exclamation points, it makes you sound like you need to take your ritalin.

Your last paragraph makes me sad.

If you can remotely afford to buy an Aimpoint Patrol, T-1, or CompM4 do so.

Don't listen to the guy at the gunshop when he tells you that you need a DPMS. Save up for good equipment and do it right the first time.

You can convert between 5.56 and 300 with a barrel change but you aren't qualified to perform one. You would also need to re zero your sights and your optic every time. You will be much better off getting a complete upper for each one.

Pay for some training from a reputable trainer. There is a section on here about this.

C4IGrant of GandRtactical.com will get you what you need at a great price and won't BS you or upsell you. You can press the easy button by just giving him a call and telling him what you're after.

don't make a new post on here asking about every aspect of your planned AR. It will make people not like you. Search around and you will find the answers you need. There are a lot of great folks here but they can be a little touchy.

Welcom to m4carbine, this is the best AR forum on the net and one of, if not the best gun/shooting forums as well. Read a lot and post little and you will learn a ton.

mkmckinley
12-25-11, 06:41
Oh I forgot to add one thing, and this is important: avoid AR15.com, i.e. "the short bus.". and sorry you had to work on Christmas, that sucks man.

rsilvers
12-25-11, 08:23
Complete 300 BLK rifles are rare at the moment. The AAC ones we configured will be out soon, but may be more than what you want to spent - as we are using high-end KAC rails and Geissele triggers.

mini4m3
12-25-11, 13:15
Complete 300 BLK rifles are rare at the moment. The AAC ones we configured will be out soon, but may be more than what you want to spent - as we are using high-end KAC rails and Geissele triggers.

Those guns do look real nice but I agree with what you said. I wish there was a company that offered an entry level upper/gun that could either be bought naked or customized during purchase.

rsilvers
12-25-11, 13:44
Maybe DS Arms will do a stripped one. The DPMS and Bushmaster have rails and such.

Bushmaster:

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/8838/bushmaster300blk.jpg
http://img862.imageshack.us/img862/3228/bushmasterblackoutfromc.jpg

DPMS:

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/5969/dpms300blk.jpg
http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/7999/dpmsblackoutfromcatalog.jpg

sandsunsurf
12-25-11, 13:44
I pretty much agree with the first response, however, if you're sure you want a complete rifle in 300blk, and not a 5.56, then get a Noveske. Or buy a complete lower from any reputable company like listed above and get a Noveske upper or an AAC upper.

rsilvers
12-25-11, 13:47
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_OiTH0mZLs

r1013
12-26-11, 00:30
All I can say is WOW to all of you! Especially you "mkmckinley". I promise I have been reading on here for several weeks, as well as a few other sites. I posted on here only because everyone answering questions seem to know a bit more than other sites I was looking at. Your answer in list format was almost like you read my mind. I have to stick everything in list or I wont remember it.

No problem with Christmas. Me and my family are going to celebrate tomorrow... or later today now. I'm a nurse over a mens unit. Quite a few of my patients actually fought in the "Battle of the Bulge". A few in the Philippines. Its a good place to spend Christmas. I love my job and I love helping people. Especially ones like I work with.

Thanks again guys for helping me out and pointing me all the right directions.

Sorry about the ritalin moment!!!!! Haa! I have a lot of patients to take care of and when I get home, I pretty hyped up!

Night!

chiodos_evr
12-28-11, 14:32
Do not, under any circumstances, buy anything from CTD, CMMG, Bushmaster, DPMS, Olympic, Armalite.

I can't speak for the other brands you listed above, but I don't agree with you on CMMG.

I've put close to 500 rounds through my CMMG 300 blk barrel in my custom build, and have not encountered any failures with it. So far it's working flawlessly for me without modifications to the gas port when using CMMG and Remington supersonic ammo, but this is just my experience with it. I don't reload brass and I don't own a suppressor. YMMV

r1013,
AAC and Noveske make great quality products. If I had more money I probably would have gone with one of those. But if you're looking for a good balance of quality and affordability, then go for the CMMG. If you need more info about it check out shadow65's review in the link below...
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=93247

rsilvers
12-28-11, 14:38
I can't think of anything wrong with the DPMS or Bushmaster, providing they are outfit to your liking, except the castle nut is probably not staked. You can stake it if you care.

The AAC rifles will have a staked castle nut and all of the usual important things taken care of.

wahoo95
12-28-11, 14:44
The new Smith & Wesson 300blk/Whisper is a great value for a complete rifle.

Moltke
12-28-11, 15:04
If I was going to buy a .300 BLK today, right this minute, I'd order a complete Noveske rifle. They are pricey but they are good I'm sure. Are the AAC rifles out yet?

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display2.cgi?item_id=16-300&cat=173&page=1&search=&since=&status=
http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display2.cgi?item_id=16v-300&cat=173&page=1&search=&since=&status=

If you want a 5.56m capability too then you can buy 5.56mm uppers pretty easily as they are plentiful, then just put it on and bam, 5.56mm too.

Whatever you do, make sure to buy plenty of ammunition for the rifle and shoot it often. If .300 BLK is going to be too expensive for you to shoot often then maybe you should consider buying a 5.56mm Colt/BCM/DD/LMT with a case of ammo, and then once familiar with the AR platform buy a .300 BLK upper sometime down the road.

chiodos_evr
12-28-11, 15:23
The new Smith & Wesson 300blk/Whisper is a great value for a complete rifle.

It does look really nice. The twist seems a bit odd from what is currently out there, but that probably wouldn't matter much (I could be wrong).

The entire lower half of my 300 blk build (except for the stock) is a Smith & Wesson M&P15 and if I had seen that complete upper back in August 2011, I would've given it some serious thought.

r1013
12-29-11, 00:31
I looked at some of the popular brands mentioned in the beginning, but there prices are a bit steep. I did think very hard on a Noveske... I also seen the S&W "wahoo95". I actually like the Realtree camo pattern. I seen a Daniel Defense blackout that sounded good but it was a little high with no photo.

I have went back and forth several times. Between work and being sick, I have been reading, reading, and reading some more. The one that seems to keep coming up as the best compromise is the CMMG as you mentioned "chiodos_evr ". I am real close to pulling the trigger on one of those. I think that rifle, with a few modifications, combined with signing up for a training course will make me one happy camper. My dad took me to work a few times as a kid and I helped him disassemble m16s, clean and put them back together. I havent shot one so I'm pretty excited!

As far as the 5.56 "Moltke", yes I plan to get one of those uppers sometime later this year. I think buying a complete upper will be better than just buying a barrel as I originally planned. I watched a You-tube video on changing a barrel and it seems easy, but I dont want to have to re-sight it in every time.

Im going to research a little bit more tomorrow, but I think the CMMG will be hard to beat. Most of the bad stuff I have read about from old post, sounded like it was customer service. Recent comments sound like that has been taken care of.

Javelin
12-29-11, 01:29
If I was going to buy a .300 BLK today, right this minute, I'd order a complete Noveske rifle. They are pricey but they are good I'm sure. Are the AAC rifles out yet?

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display2.cgi?item_id=16-300&cat=173&page=1&search=&since=&status=
http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display2.cgi?item_id=16v-300&cat=173&page=1&search=&since=&status=

If you want a 5.56m capability too then you can buy 5.56mm uppers pretty easily as they are plentiful, then just put it on and bam, 5.56mm too.

Whatever you do, make sure to buy plenty of ammunition for the rifle and shoot it often. If .300 BLK is going to be too expensive for you to shoot often then maybe you should consider buying a 5.56mm Colt/BCM/DD/LMT with a case of ammo, and then once familiar with the AR platform buy a .300 BLK upper sometime down the road.

I can personally attest to Noveske 300BLK being awesome performers. I have had one now for about 8 months (10" configuration) and liked it so much I bought a second with Gen II lower in an 8".

The 10" barrel 300BLK is a tac driver for sure and much (MUCH) more quiet than my 9mm pistol shooting a Trident-9 suppressor. Seriously it is ninja quiet. Haha. :ph34r:

Javelin
12-29-11, 01:31
After owning a couple DPMS rifles I just cannot honestly get excited about them anymore. They are mediocre at best unfortunately. :(

chiodos_evr
12-29-11, 09:44
As far as the 5.56 "Moltke", yes I plan to get one of those uppers sometime later this year. I think buying a complete upper will be better than just buying a barrel as I originally planned. I watched a You-tube video on changing a barrel and it seems easy, but I dont want to have to re-sight it in every time.

Im going to research a little bit more tomorrow, but I think the CMMG will be hard to beat. Most of the bad stuff I have read about from old post, sounded like it was customer service. Recent comments sound like that has been taken care of.

From Moltke's suggestions I definitely agree with BCM. BCM has excellent quality and their prices are hard to beat. I bought one of their mid length hammer forged uppers 2 months ago for less than $500, and I am very happy with it.

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BCM-URG-MID-16%20BFH

Yea when I was first researching CMMG I found a lot of negative reviews about their customer service. But when I bought their blk barrel I noticed that their customer service was helpful to me and did a good job answering my questions. I have only dealt with Kayleigh Ishmael, I've never interacted with anyone else over the phone or through emails.

neo9710
12-29-11, 16:27
From Moltke's suggestions I definitely agree with BCM. BCM has excellent quality and their prices are hard to beat. I bought one of their mid length hammer forged uppers 2 months ago for less than $500, and I am very happy with it.

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BCM-URG-MID-16%20BFH

Yea when I was first researching CMMG I found a lot of negative reviews about their customer service. But when I bought their blk barrel I noticed that their customer service was helpful to me and did a good job answering my questions. I have only dealt with Kayleigh Ishmael, I've never interacted with anyone else over the phone or through emails.

Does BCM make 300 blackout uppers yet? I looked and didnt see them - but I have missed the obvious before..

rezin23
12-29-11, 19:54
I wouldn't be surprised if they offer one soon.

mstennes
12-29-11, 23:02
Oh I forgot to add one thing, and this is important: avoid AR15.com, i.e. "the short bus.". and sorry you had to work on Christmas, that sucks man.

Isnt that the truth, tried to help a op over there who asked about a SCAR 16 or Sig 556, told him not to even look at the Sig, and out of the wood work, came all these Sig lovers telling how good it is, and how the SCAR is a failure.

GG Asian
12-30-11, 07:44
Just received this email from Daniel Defense :D

For many, the start of a new year means the start of a fresh beginning or a time for something new... an improved and exciting change. At Daniel Defense, it could mean the time to launch a new product, or in this case, an opportunity to offer a new caliber. No caliber has created a buzz over the last year like the 300 Blackout. Daniel Defense will offer the 300 Blackout paired with 2011’s top selling version, the Daniel Defense M4 V5. Together, they bring excellence to a new level. This new variant will be offered as an option in conjunction with the 5.56.

For those of you who aren’t familiar with the 300 Blackout, allow me to give you the skinny. This round was originally designed to give the shooter a 30 caliber projectile, which could be fired from the AR platform without an increase in magazine size while still utilizing a standard bolt. The 300 Blackout is 7.62x35 which gives the shooter similar ballistic qualities to the .308 and the 7.62x39, the AK round, without having to give up the light weight 5.56/AR platform. In fact, all recent testing has pointed to similar ballistics as the 7.62x39, but the advantage is the 300 Blackout can still utilize the standard AR magazines without a reduction in capacity. Unlike the 7.62x39, the cartridge is still light on the shoulder and has similar recoil to a 5.56.

Like what you hear so far? Stand by, because there is more. Test results have shown that the 300 Blackout to be more accurate than the 5.56x45 and M4. When tested at ranges of 100-300 meters, it showed better penetration, better terminal effects, and was a more versatile round. Oh, did I mention that when suppressed the 300 Blackout, 7.62x39, was as quiet as the HK MP-5 SD? Yep, that’s right. When suppressed, the 300 Blackout is as quiet as the HK MP-5 SD, which in case you didn’t know, fires a 9mm round.

So let’s review. The 300 Blackout offers increased lethality by offering better penetration, knock down power down range and is offered as a variant option in the top selling Daniel Defense M4 V5. I’ll take two!

Hollywood movie studios and doomsday prognosticators would have us believe the world, as we know it, will come to an end in the coming year. While 2012 has many fearing for what’s to come, the attitude in Black Creek, GA is quite opposite. In addition to a new, ninety-thousand square foot expansion in Ridgeland, SC, we are excited about the highly anticipated DDM4v5-300 AAC Blackout.

In an earlier article entitled Art in Design of a Modern Sporting Rifle, I took you on a tour of the engineering lab where ideas transform into actual working prototypes. Transforming specs into a marketable product involves raw materials, programming of machinery, creating special tools, and other logistics. As we embark on the next leg of this tour, you’ll witness a hunk of metal, what we refer to as a forging; become a Mil-Spec Daniel Defense Semi-Auto Lower Receiver like that standard in the 300 Blackout.

Standing on the factory floor, earplugs in, sporting protective eye gear, it’s important to pay close attention to the raw materials. You may ask where we get the metals for our guns. For the semi-auto lower, it begins with a forging. As you can see, it already resembles the part we’re manufacturing. By doing it this way we save money, create substantially less waste, while maintaining structural integrity.

The forging is placed into one of Daniel Defense’s Okuma MB-5000 Horizontal Mills. As a side note, the equipment, plus tooling cost around $650,000. Due to proprietary information and tool with fixture design, I am unable to show you its interior operation. To sum it up, an automated process machines the forging: shaves, grinds, drills, threads, you name it. At the end of the process, you’ll have a part that looks like what is seen in the picture.

Systematically, parts are extracted from every batch and sent to our state-of-the-art Quality Assurance Lab. The CMM (coordinate measuring machine) verifies the unit is machined to precisely the right dimensions. This type of oversight ensures every Daniel Defense rifle, including the 300 Blackout, exceeds expectations.

Like icing on the cake, the semi-auto lower receiver is finished with what’s called type 3 hard coat anodizing. This finish process augments its durability—many times greater than if it were untreated; and gives it that flat black appearance. Taking into consideration the conditions the Daniel Defense rifle is subjected to, the anodizing is vital to the firearm’s longevity.

As you contemplate adding a new AR to the collection in 2012, whether it be the Daniel Defense DDM4v3, v7 or v5-300 AAC Blackout, or one of our other models, rest assure the rifle you choose will be properly engineered, manufactured with the highest grade materials, machined to precise specifications, quality tested, and assembled by the best in the business. To learn more about Daniel Defense, please visit us online at DanielDefense.com.

chiodos_evr
12-30-11, 08:44
Just received this email from Daniel Defense :D

That's really interesting news. I wonder what the prices will be for just the upper. I've got my brother interested in 300blk after showing him my rifle at a range, and I will probably buy him an upper (not sure what brand yet) in the near future.

2012 is really going to be an exciting year for people who are starting to get into this caliber.

chiodos_evr
12-30-11, 08:50
Does BCM make 300 blackout uppers yet? I looked and didnt see them - but I have missed the obvious before..

Someone from this forum or www.300blktalk.com sent an email to BCM a few months back asking if they had any future plans with 300blk. According to that person's post BCM said no.

I wouldn't be surprised if BCM will eventually change their mind. If that happens I might consider selling my barrel...

r1013
12-31-11, 10:02
I ran across the DD the other day on several sites listed for sale, but out of stock. The prices were around $1300 - $1500.

30 cal slut
01-02-12, 08:43
Does BCM make 300 blackout uppers yet?

I am anxiously awaiting a BCM offering. lol.

SomeOtherGuy
01-02-12, 10:06
Someone from this forum or www.300blktalk.com sent an email to BCM a few months back asking if they had any future plans with 300blk. According to that person's post BCM said no.

That was me in early September. BCM and DD both said "no plans at this time" while PSA said "We have 300 AAC uppers planned, but not in the immediate future." Obviously DD changed their mind, which is great.

rsilvers
01-02-12, 13:44
Lots of 300 BLK stuff at RSR:

http://www.rsrgroup.com/catalog/search?c=search&m=index&category=all&keywords=300blk&suggest_value=&Search=Search

wilson1911
01-02-12, 21:53
Isn't ammo just about a dollar a round still ?

I am wanting to get one of these to hog hunt with instead of using 556. Once ammo gets cheap, I will get on board

SomeOtherGuy
01-02-12, 22:02
Isn't ammo just about a dollar a round still ?

I am wanting to get one of these to hog hunt with instead of using 556. Once ammo gets cheap, I will get on board

65 cents/rd shipped to your door for the UMC ammo, here:

http://shop.bullseyeindoorrange.com/Remington-UMC-115gr-300BLK-200rd-Case-Rem-UMC-115gr-300BLK-200rds.htm

PNW Arms is offering range ammo around the same price. Ammo with proper hunting bullets (various 125gr ballistic tip options) is more in the 95-100 cents/rd range right now, although Gunn Ammo has a load with the 125gr Speer TNT bullet for 85 cents/rd at AIM:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=AGU300SPRTNT&name=Gunn+.300+Blackout+Super+Sonic+125grn+Speer+TNT+20rd+box&groupid=301&search=gunn

rsilvers
01-02-12, 22:26
Some chrono data:

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=78525

rsilvers
01-02-12, 22:28
Ammo will be in the 55 cent a round range soon. Govt customers already can buy it in the high 30 cent a round range for larger orders (only because they are FET exempt - there is a tax in ammo they don't have to pay). I don't know what M855A1 costs, but it may be cheaper for 300 BLK. How can a special tax on guns/ammo be constitutional and not seen as limiting the right to keep and bear arms? Where is the ACLU - you know, the people who want you to be able to vote without a photo-ID as to require one may possibly raise the cost of voting to some people by making them have to travel to the DMV to get a free photo ID?

Javelin
01-03-12, 01:42
Ammo will be in the 55 cent a round range soon. Govt customers already can buy it in the high 30 cent a round range for larger orders (only because they are FET exempt - there is a tax in ammo they don't have to pay). I don't know what M855A1 costs, but it may be cheaper for 300 BLK. How can a special tax on guns/ammo be constitutional and not seen as limiting the right to keep and bear arms? Where is the ACLU - you know, the people who want you to be able to vote without a photo-ID as to require one may possibly raise the cost of voting to some people by making them have to travel to the DMV to get a free photo ID?

Good point Robert. Would guess that the ammo tax was just a way to get the government foot in the door for future increases so as to choke out the shooting sports completely.

r1013
02-13-12, 01:33
As I posted in the beginning I wanted the 300 blackout. Most seem to recommend the 556 instead, especially with it being my first rifle. Your recommendations and the cost of ammo led to me choosing a 556.

I came oh so close to a CMMG, but again I ultimately picked what was suggested. I bought a Daniel Defense M4V7. I chose that because I like the rail not so cluttered.

I couldn't find any in stock, so I called Daniel Defense. They gave me a name of a local shop (Blankenship) they had just sent one to. I called them and they made me a deal.

In the purchase I got Magpul front and rear sights and a Blue force gear two point sling (Padded VCAS with push button adjusters). a Rail Mount QD Swivel Attachment Point for the sling and five 30 round Magpul magazines with the windows.

All totaled $ 1 ,386.70 shipped!

It was more than I intended on spending, but with the extras I thought it was a good deal. They were very helpful! I highly recommend them.

I couldn't stand the MOE stock that came with it because it rattled. I just replaced it a few days ago with a CTR stock, that has the lock and the sling attachment. It locks up perfect. The sling is also more comfortable attached to the stock. I'm of course new to this and may change my mind but at least I have multiple choices to attach the sling now.

I joined a local gun club last week and went to sight it in. I didn't realize they had no way of holding targets at the range. So the day wasn't a loss I wanted to shoot and have a little fun. I found quite a few 16oz drink bottles. I sat them up and shot at them. It wasn't sighted in, but I hit about everyone I shot at from 25 and 50 yards. I shot 60 rounds with no problems. It was a LOT of fun!!

I don't wont to pay for an Aimpoint right now so I bought a Bushnell Red Dot for $69. My riser will be here next week to 1/3 cowitness the backup sights.

There are a few things I would like to add:
For one, a different "Rail". Yes I love the "Modular Float Rail 12.0 " from DD but it's to short for me. I'm 6'3" and I have very long legs and arms. My hand seems to want to go all the way to the end of the rail and grab the barrell. It would be perfect if I had just a few more inches. Keeping it almost the same I have pretty much decided on the new "Troy Industries 15" Alpha Battle Rail". That will give me 3" more. I know they are pretty high, but I will just sale my current one and I hopefully will come close to breaking even. I'm not positive it will fit my rifle but it should. I'm going to call and make sure before I order one.

Next I want something to help with hand placement. I first thought about the angled fore grip from Magpul. I like the rail very "UNBUSY" and clean looking as possible. I was then thinking about just a "Stop" like the gear sector. But the more I look at the Magpul "XTM Hand Stop Kit" the more I like it. Its pretty cheap to! I think... it just might be perfect. It dont come out until the Spring.

I have narrowed down two vest to hold magazines. One is "Eagle Chest Rig M4, LE" and the other "SOE Gear M4AK Micro Rig". I am leaning toward the later. I like that I could carry 4 mags and a pistol etc... in the pouch... or 2 extra ar mags in the pouch for a total of 6.

Last but not least.... possibly a magnifier of some kind (3x-5x that's adjustable). I have been researching something that will work with the Bushnell and the 1"UTG mount. My eyes are not great. I did manage to rig a target up on a make shift stand 100 yards away the other day. It was a 2'x2' target and to me it was just a speck!!! I couldn't see the black circle at all. I fired 3 shots at what look like a white box the size of my pinky fingernail while standing. All three hit! Not in the center... but they all hit the paper at least!

Yes, when money permits I will get an Aimpoint. The Bushnell seems really nice and its got awesome reviews! It will work for now. Besides... the next $500 I get will go to training, ammo, and possible a Glock 17 or 19.

I also plan on attending a Carbine course as suggested. I was suppose to go yesterday actually. My work schedule messed that up. Hopefully in April I can catch the next one. Between now and then I'll watch the Magpul Carbine video a friend got me and try to become more acquainted with the rifle. It might be best I wait as I may have slowed the class down being so new.

Thanks for all your advice for a new guy!! I think I made a good choice and it was money well spent. I promise to post a photo when I'm done with it. Right now it looks the same as all other M4V7s. :)

G30Mike
02-13-12, 02:34
Congrats on the DD, I'm sure you wont be disappointed with it.
I always thought, "oh what the hell, they're all the same, just go cheap", and listened to the guy at my LGS. Then I did some research. Needless to say, you did well getting a quality rifle right off the bat instead of wasting money on crap like I did.
I learned that if I would have went with a top tier rifle in the first place, by now I could have had a couple of them for what I wasted going cheap.

feedramp
03-24-12, 11:48
If one is interested in a DD AR with a goal to run .300 AAC Blackout through it, would one be better off getting the V5-300 and then if ever felt the need to shoot .223 with it, get a 5.56 DD upper later on.... or better to get a 5.56 DD AR and get the DD V5-300 upper at the cost of about an extra $1000 up front for the extra upper? (Or a Colt lower and the v5-300 upper?)

r1013
03-24-12, 12:27
I am extremely pleased with the DD M4V7. I'm so glad I listened to everyone's suggestions. The only thing I didn't like was the rail. I needed a few more inches since I have long arms. I ordered one of the new TRX alpha rails in 15" and it's perfect! I had to change out the barrel nut so it was an ordeal as I had to buy a bunch of tools I didn't have. Now I have them in case I need them again. I also learned a lot. I love the "DPMS Panther Claw" for holding the receiver while I work on it. I have about a thousand rounds through it so far with no problems. I will post photos sometime later when I'm completely done. I have a couple things on back order right now. I promise to not get all this help and never come back showing what I was helped with. Im also still planning to take a carbine course in the very near future.

I did and still do like the thought of the larger round, but I'm enjoying the 556 so much I might not ever get the 300. IF... the price came down to match the 556... Probably yes. It's costing me enough just to shoot this. I was in the mind set of 300 BO and a 45 side arm. I think I will stick with 556 and 9mm. I believe they will serve to well. As for hunting, I'll probably just use a different rifle.

feedramp
03-24-12, 21:23
Thanks for the update and feedback, it's valuable for folks like me who are in the decision-making process.