PDA

View Full Version : 12ga 000 buck wound to foot

BufordTJustice
12-25-11, 03:47
I had a call tonight where a guy 'accidentally' discharged his 12ga remmy 870 into his right foot with a high-brass 2 &3/4" triple-aught buck shell. It was nearly a contact shot (tons of powder burns around the entrance wound).

The shot column entered the interior of his right foot just behind the ball of his foot, traversed his foot, and exited the outside about 2 inches behind his right toe. It appeared that the shot column was still tucked inside the shot cup/wadding as it traversed his foot.

No projectiles were found and the ER doctor's determined that he was missing a large but unknown percentage of bone mass from the foot that had simply been "blown out of his foot".

The xrays were REALLY bad (his foot looked like a bag of skin with a handful of garden rocks thrown inside of it). The wound was even worse in person.

No pix (sorry, I like my job). :/

It was very interesting to see the amount of bone damage (he would have been much better to have gotten his foot run over by a semi) despite the shot column behaving much like a slug.

The Doctors told me the likelihood of him walking on that foot again is "0%".

Just thought I'd share this little tidbit. Merry Christmas.

ST911
12-25-11, 11:54
Definite uptick in ND incidents lately. There seems to have been a BOGO on clown shoes. Fortunately, most involve only property damage rather than injuries. Some interesting bullet recoveries and barrier data though.

Gunshots are funny things. Sometimes spectacular, sometimes "you were shot? Where?"

Heavy Metal
12-25-11, 11:59
I have seen people ride in vehicles with the muzzle of a shotty on the top of their boot. Gave me the heebe-jeebes!

BufordTJustice
12-25-11, 13:44
I have seen people ride in vehicles with the muzzle of a shotty on the top of their boot. Gave me the heebe-jeebes!

I'm about to go T8, but I wanted to comment on your post.

HOLY SHIT!

I'm already BIG on people not covering me with their muzzle of any gun in any caliber. But, what you saw sounds insane to me now.

Also, I heard from one of the midnight cars that he may need to get it amputated.

skyugo
12-25-11, 14:11
I'm about to go T8, but I wanted to comment on your post.

HOLY SHIT!

I'm already BIG on people not covering me with their muzzle of any gun in any caliber. But, what you saw sounds insane to me now.

Also, I heard from one of the midnight cars that he may need to get it amputated.

ouch...
he'd probably have more mobility on a prosthetic foot than "a bag of skin with rocks" :eek:
don't muzzle anything you do not wish to destroy.

Heavy Metal
12-25-11, 14:14
I've also seen people do the same while standing to keep the muzzle out of the mud and dirt while hunting.

I wonder if this joker wasn't doing something similar? Bet he was and let the gun slip and grabbed the trigger by accident trying to catch it. Bet he also forgot to put the safety on. Or he was so drunk he could not tell the difference. I have seen that too. I wonder if Mr. ETOH played a factor in this 'accident'?

nobody knows
12-28-11, 02:30
I have seen the shotgun on the boot as well. Mostly the older guys they do the same with hunting rifles. I don't know about them but I'd rather get a bit of mud in my perdy rifle or even have it blow up then loose a body part LOL.

jamesbern
12-28-11, 10:01

:( That would worry me to no end. There is never a reason to muzzle yourself.

Armati
12-28-11, 11:00
Definite uptick in ND incidents lately.

We have a perfect storm of a large number of new gun owners who have not been raised around guns and have zero training.

BufordTJustice
12-28-11, 14:45
We have a perfect storm of a large number of new gun owners who have not been raised around guns and have zero training.

And Beer. ;)

dewatters
12-28-11, 16:35
I once saw shoes aimed at the skeet/trap/sporting clays market that had a plug on top for resting the muzzle. :fie:

SHIVAN
12-28-11, 16:48
I once saw shoes aimed at the skeet/trap/sporting clays market that had a plug on top for resting the muzzle. :fie:

You may know, or you may not, but the loaded gun is never rested on the foot. This is a "break action thing". I've never rested any other type of skeet/clays gun on my foot, nor ever rested a non-broken O/U on my foot.

I'm neutral on this practice, but wanted to clarify.

ST911
12-28-11, 17:07
I have seen the shotgun on the boot as well. Mostly the older guys they do the same with hunting rifles. I don't know about them but I'd rather get a bit of mud in my perdy rifle or even have it blow up then loose a body part LOL.

Slings are so handy.

chriskc04
12-29-11, 11:26
Thanks for sharing! I always find these real-world accounts interesting.

BCmJUnKie
12-29-11, 12:16
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j468/Danger131/boogerhook.jpg

GeorgiaBoy
12-31-11, 16:55
My older brother use to have the habit of resting his shotgun barrel on the tip if his boot when dog hunting waiting for a deer. When he was 14 or so he somehow pulled trigger inadvertently, and either he moved it fast enough or the recoil moved it fast enough where the shot missed his toes by centimeters.

He doesn't do that anymore.

CANDERSEN
01-13-12, 20:03
When I was a boy up in the northeast the rabbit hunters used to rest the barrels on there boots - keep the snow out of the barrels - no one used slings.

Lincoln7
01-13-12, 20:22
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j468/Danger131/boogerhook.jpg

I'm sorry to see your photography has taken a turn for the worse...

Or, "Gun safety, so easy even a child can do it"

Pointshoot
01-13-12, 21:21
From the time we were boys and hunting we were taught to always open the action when crossing a barrier like a fence. It only takes one instance of inattention to mess up your day. One cousin, usually with his head screwed on right, forgot to do this. He's now missing a couple fingers from his right hand. (Still has the trigger finger though.)

Abraxas
01-13-12, 21:35
Definite uptick in ND incidents lately. There seems to have been a BOGO on clown shoes. Fortunately, most involve only property damage rather than injuries. Some interesting bullet recoveries and barrier data though.

Gunshots are funny things. Sometimes spectacular, sometimes "you were shot? Where?"

What is the saying, the most consistent thing about small arms rounds, is the inconsistency of their performance.

Abraxas
01-13-12, 21:38

That is a scary, but good point.