PDA

View Full Version : hunting in Texas while CCWing - any issues?

fuse
12-25-11, 10:34
I have not hunted very much.

Tomorrow I am going dove hunting in south Texas with my dad.

I hold a Virginia concealed handgun permit, which has reciprocity with Texas.

Any problem with me carrying my Glock (concealed) while hunting?

Smash
12-25-11, 11:06
No problems. Make sure you have a Texas hunting license. Other than that depending on where you are it's good to have a pistol/rifle instead of a double barrel shotty in case you find some drug runners. Happy hunting. ;)

fuse
12-26-11, 02:52
Yep got the license.

Thanks guys.

It's just after 0230 local time, and I'm en route to the hunt. Dad is not really a gun guy, and is looking at me like I have 3 heads as I explain that while my 17 conceals very well via my normal appendix carry, I may try strong side OWB and some point today or tomorrow, both for comfort and easier access to the weapon over all my warm clothing and bird bags.

I left my awesome Benelli at home, and will be using mostly a Browning semi 20 gauge that I learned on many years ago, and a Winchester 16 gauge side by side that was my grandpa's.

Nothing says classy like a 16 gauge. And side by side.

Artos
12-26-11, 08:16
Good luck...I love the late dove season but it's either a full blown invasion of birds or not a feather down my way.

The guys at the ranch will just shake their heads at me when I head out to a tank instead of the deer blind in the middle of the rut...no birds this year.

ST911
12-26-11, 13:13
I have not hunted very much.

Tomorrow I am going dove hunting in south Texas with my dad.

I hold a Virginia concealed handgun permit, which has reciprocity with Texas.

Any problem with me carrying my Glock (concealed) while hunting?

Many states have inherent conflicts between statutes governing CCW, and game/hunting statutes. The former will allow CCW, the latter may restrict what arms and calibers are legal in the pursuit of game. See if there's a distinction between what you may possess and what you may use. If it's not clear, or if statute appears to prohibit your CCW on your hunt, ask a wildlife/natural resources law enforcement supervisor.

robbf213
12-26-11, 22:43
Many states have inherent conflicts between statutes governing CCW, and game/hunting statutes. The former will allow CCW, the latter may restrict what arms and calibers are legal in the pursuit of game. See if there's a distinction between what you may possess and what you may use. If it's not clear, or if statute appears to prohibit your CCW on your hunt, ask a wildlife/natural resources law enforcement supervisor.

I have no idea what all you just said...as some who enforces these laws in TX, you're GTG

ST911
12-26-11, 23:15
I have no idea what all you just said...as some who enforces these laws in TX, you're GTG

Typing on the fly, sorry about that. Coincidentally, it was a local topic of discussion with some fish and tree cops. Let me try again.

Watch out for language in hunting regs that restricts what type of firearm and/or caliber you can possess hunting, not just the one that you can use to take game. If the regs don't have an exception for CCW, you may be in violation of hunting regs. Ergo, a conflict between CCW statute and hunting regs.

On the fly a bit here again, so I don't have an example to cite. That make more sense though?

robbf213
12-26-11, 23:20
Typing on the fly, sorry about that. Coincidentally, it was a local topic of discussion with some fish and tree cops. Let me try again.

Watch out for language in hunting regs that restricts what type of firearm and/or caliber you can possess hunting, not just the one that you can use to take game. If the regs don't have an exception for CCW, you may be in violation of hunting regs. Ergo, a conflict between CCW statute and hunting regs.

On the fly a bit here again, so I don't have an example to cite. That make more sense though?

Sorry I was being a bit facetious. I understood what you said. The OP doesn't have to worry about carrying here in TX while hunting. Maybe where you live but not here.