PDA

View Full Version : Safailand ALS Tactical Thigh Holster vs. Universal Flex Adapter with Tac Leg Shroud

denn1911
12-25-11, 15:20
I tried the search engine, but there wasn't any results regarding Safariland's Universal Flex Adapter with Tactical Leg Shroud.

I bought a Safailand Model 6355 ALS Tactical Thigh Holster with two legs straps for my M&P45. It works well, and I'm happy with it overall. However, while running and moving through various drills, the holster moves around more than I like.

I noticed that Safailrand makes a Tactical Leg Shroud with One Leg Strap. It seems that Universal Flex Adapter or the Drop Flex Adapter would be nice attached. I wondering if this set-up would be better than my current set-up for keeping my holster tighter to my leg with less movement.

My plan is to set up a battle belt with a Hi Speed Gear Battle Belt that is currently on order. Any advice and/or comments would be much appreciated.

sgtjosh
12-25-11, 15:36
The Safariland DFA and single strap adapter is GTG. I modded my paddle for additional comfort.

RV4021
12-25-11, 16:59
I use the combo you are talking for my taser at work. I have not had any issues with it during daily patrol, foot pursuits, wrestling around, etc. I think it is a good combination.

Robert

denn1911
12-25-11, 17:35
Thank you for the quick responses. Your opinions are pushing me toward the Universal or Drop Flex set-ups.

Shane1
12-26-11, 08:22
Denn,

How high up do you have your holster? With a thigh rig your going to get movement if its not positioned correctly. I wear mine as high up as possible, even with the drop flex adapter. Try tightening up and crossing your leg straps on your ALS before you spend money on the DFA.

Another option is just getting a UBL with a 1 or 1 1/2" drop for using it off of your battle belt. If you get any torque during your draw stroke, you have the option of adding a leg strap. This is my preferred way of mounting a holster below my armor.

SWATcop556
12-26-11, 13:08
I run the HSGI SureGrip belt. I've gotten to the point that unless I absolutely have to, I despise running a drop leg. I've found that just mounting a standard UBL on the belt with an ALS holster is sufficient for 99% of my needs. It sits low enough that it clears my PC and gear and it's consistent with my plainclothes and uniform carry options.

I would give the UBL a shot.

JSantoro
12-26-11, 16:54
Or, one of these: http://www.optactical.com/doragedrrigb.html

It doesn't squeak like the DFA I had, and diss/ass is a metric buttload simpler. Directly attach one's holster, or QD system for same.

sgtjosh
12-26-11, 17:22

It doesn't squeak like the DFA I had, and diss/ass is a metric buttload simpler. Directly attach one's holster, or QD system for same.

I tired that adapter, but it kept coming undone leaving the holster attached to my leg by only the single strap I run. Have you had that issue?

I only tried it for one shift. It came loose while I was on the ground trying to hook up some steel cable to recover a vehicle that was about to roll down a mountainside. I may have inadvertently rolled over some rocks disconnecting it. I will have to give it another shot.

Shane1
12-27-11, 12:34
Josh,

Did you contact Chris about it popping out?

sgtjosh
12-27-11, 15:29
Actually, Chris contacted me. Chris is a stand up guy. He is going to replace it. I look forward to trying it again. It was very comfortable.

Chris has also been helping me mod another product of mine. I can not say enough about the guy. I am looking for more products of his that I "need."

He is definitely one of the good guys.

Shane1
12-28-11, 08:51
Good deal. I know he is on the ball with that stuff and is a good dude too. Let us know how the replacement turns out and give us a review.

denn1911
12-28-11, 11:34
I run the HSGI SureGrip belt. I've gotten to the point that unless I absolutely have to, I despise running a drop leg. I've found that just mounting a standard UBL on the belt with an ALS holster is sufficient for 99% of my needs. It sits low enough that it clears my PC and gear and it's consistent with my plainclothes and uniform carry options.

I would give the UBL a shot.

Shane/SwatCop, I do have a 1.5" Drop UBL currently on my duty rig which works well. That might be a good option because it is consistent with my current training platform. Thanks.

denn1911
12-28-11, 11:36

I looked at the link provided, and this seems like a very nice option. Hearing great reviews about the company's customer service is a big plus. Thanks.

G-lock
12-28-11, 12:09
I use an ALS with the DFA on a modded single strap shroud, works great for when a drop is needed..

denn1911
12-28-11, 20:40
My Hi Speed Gear Sure Grip belt should arrive by middle of next week. I think that I'll try pulling my current thigh rig strap high as possible. If it still doesn't feel right, the 1.5 UBL will be tried. If that doesn't work for me, then I'll try the Flex Adapters with the single leg shroud.

I really appreciate all of the comments and suggestions. In the meantime, please feel free to make more suggestions. This is a great place to be a part of!

SWATcop556
12-29-11, 04:15
Shane/SwatCop, I do have a 1.5" Drop UBL currently on my duty rig which works well. That might be a good option because it is consistent with my current training platform. Thanks.

If you have a standard adapter I would try that first. The inner belt it is mounted to rides a little lower than a duty rig which in turn lowers the holster. This could be a real problem if you plan on being in and out of a vehicle. Mine is just at the threshold of just right and too low. The 1.5 drop UBL would be a no go for me but this would also be size dependent as well. Just food for thought.

I added two small zip tie to the UBL to really cinch it down and keep it from moving as it is fit for a 2" belt and my Cobra belt is a 1.75"