PDA

View Full Version : BFG Trauma Now Kit, need to add anything?

Shoot 1st
12-25-11, 20:58
Just got my Blue Force Gear Trauma Now kit in the mail.

I bought it during a sale, but still kind of wish I would have waited and got the ITS tactical kit. Oh well good deal etc.

My kit came with-
Cinch-Tight Combat Dressing
PriMed Compressed Gauze
TK4 Combat Tourniquet
Combat Medic Reinforced Tape
Petrolatum Gauze Pad 3"x9"
Nitrile Surgical Gloves

I have a few slots left, so should I add anything else to my kit?

Thanks, Happy Holidays!

SeriousStudent
12-25-11, 21:27
What are you qualified to do? What training have you had? How far away from a Level 1 trauma center is your range located?

There's a very helpful lad here named Mike G. He runs a very good company that stocks medical supplies.

http://www.austereprovisions.com/

He's also skilled at reducing the spraying red stuff. His advice would be good. I used to work in that field about the time gauze was invented. They took away my bottle of leeches years ago, so Mike would be more up to date.

I am a big fan of the "First, do no harm" school. So I'd say more Prim-Med gauze.

Shoot 1st
12-25-11, 21:43
I have my Air Force Combat Controller CCT training, but that was 7ish yrs ago and my Leo training. I crossed trained a few yrs ago so I have not kept up with it to much.I plan on taking a refresher this spring/summer somewhere. Just looking for suggestions. thanks

SeriousStudent
12-25-11, 22:18
Ah, then that is way better than most folks at the range have had!

Mike does sell the Quik-Clot combat gauze, you've probably used that? The newer stuff is much better than the granule stuff you guys got issued back then. The heat is not a problem, and it's a gauze roll that shows up on x-ray.

I'd maybe add an Ace-type bandage to get a little more pressure on a wound? But the Pri-Med would also be good, to get some more packing in there.

I hear you about getting some new training, I am looking to do that myself. My paramedic certification expired a long time ago, and stuff has changed dramatically.

And thank you for your service, both as a Combat Controller and an officer. I got to watch some USAF folks work a expeditionary airfield once when I was deployed, it was really neat to see them at work.

Shoot 1st
12-25-11, 22:53
Yes sir, as I mentioned Im trying to get back up to speed, I crossed trained into aircrew and from then on was pretty pampered the rest of my enlistment. Lol

Im now going back into the army but intel side, Im wanting to learn more etc more for myself and my family.

The kit I have is pretty basic but is much better than nothing. Im going to make a dedicated medical pack here soon.

chuckman
12-26-11, 05:40
The kit is good for the big stuff; I would add a zip-lock with small band-aids, some small 2x2 gauze and a roll of tape, and some trauma shears. I think the kit is stocked like any serious BOK, but like a serious BOK, lacks the ability to treat a boo-boo.

Joeywhat
12-26-11, 07:15
I added shears, duct tape, and quick clot gauze to mine.

ETA - I have a separate kit for less serious injuries. No sense in cluttering up the important bits with a bunch of what will be useless items when someone has be shot, or suffered some other serious injury. You can get 'kits' for REAL cheap online, that are actually reasonably well stocked (I think they are 'Adventure Medical Kits'). Pretty cheap, comes in a red nylon bag...I bought enough to keep one at my house, in my car, in my backpack, etc.

chuckman
12-26-11, 10:30
You can get 'kits' for REAL cheap online, that are actually reasonably well stocked (I think they are 'Adventure Medical Kits'). Pretty cheap, comes in a red nylon bag...I bought enough to keep one at my house, in my car, in my backpack, etc.

AMK make nice kits, and have a kit for just about every need.

SeriousStudent
12-26-11, 11:15
I'll second the boo-boo kit, and keeping it separate. A roll of tape for "range finger", some bandages, aspirin and sunblock.

What about a Hyfin or Bolin chest seal? It's thin, and can fit easily into the Trauma Now kit. Mike G sells them.

I know one can improvise a chest seal with an occlusive material and some tape, and just burp the wound. I've lost count of how many times I've done that. But a seal is a lot faster and easier.

And don't forget you might be using this kit on yourself, or guiding someone who is using it on you. :eek:

Here's a pair of links to earlier threads with some good discussion.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=41759

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=82238

Shoot 1st
12-26-11, 13:29
Thanks, yea I have a separate boo boo kit in a see through bag that I keep in the bag.

Shoot 1st
01-08-12, 02:42
i added shears, chest seal, catheter, burn dressing.

Wiggity
01-08-12, 03:21
i added shears, chest seal, catheter, burn dressing.

Why do you have a catheter and in what situation are you planning on using it?

MSteele
01-22-12, 19:40
Here is my BFG TKN after speaking with a few people this is what I came up with and it covers the 3 major causes of death. The only thing I really lack training on is the ARS, been shown on how to use it but still dangerous. Carry it in case others know how to use it. I will also be attending a class hopefully a shooter aid. I like the SWAT-T because it has multiple uses. I can use it with the gauze as a compression bandage or use it to wrap a splint or as a TQ. The Halo seals & Quikclot slide into the pocket and I slide the shears in the back of the pouch.

1x Halo chest seals (2per pack)
1x QuikClot Z-fold
1x H&H Gauze
1x NAR S-rolled Gauze
1x SWAT-T
1x 6" ETD
1x 28f nasal w/lube
1x ARS needle
2x Black talon gloves
1x Med tape
Various Band-aids
Sharpie
1x CAT
1x Benchmade Hook Knife

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g464/MSteele22/DSC02445.jpg

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g464/MSteele22/DSC02448.jpg

Iraq Ninja
01-22-12, 20:39
I like the SWAT-T because it has multiple uses.

My experience is that I would rather carry another CAT than a T. It barely makes a good tourniquet, and doesn't secure well unless in the classroom. Try doing it in the back of a vehicle while bouncing down a dirt trail.

On paper it is a good idea, but for me it simply was not worth carrying it- I could not trust it to stay on.

MSteele
01-22-12, 23:30
My experience is that I would rather carry another CAT than a T. It barely makes a good tourniquet, and doesn't secure well unless in the classroom. Try doing it in the back of a vehicle while bouncing down a dirt trail.

On paper it is a good idea, but for me it simply was not worth carrying it- I could not trust it to stay on.

To be honest when I was taught on how to use it they barely touched on using it as a TQ. It seemed more useful as a compression bandage with some gauze or used if an ace bandage wasn't available. It worked really well with a SAM splint securing it. In the end that was in a controlled environment.

drsal
01-23-12, 14:03
A suggestion, get a CAT tourniquet or a SOF-T wide tourniquet, the others should be replaced, I guess the tk-4 and swat T are better than nothing, but not by much.