PDA

View Full Version : Why are men’s watches suddenly so damn big?

wild_wild_wes
12-26-11, 00:01
The current record holder is probably the U-Boat U-1942, a monster at 64.4 millimeters in diameter, or about 2.5 inches.

But the U-Boat has plenty of company from heavy metal covering a cost spectrum ranging from, say, Invicta’s modestly priced (just over $100) but hulking Russian Diver Collection Quinotaur Chronograph to the Breitling Super Avenger, a $6,000 (and up) 48-millimeter-wide hunk of metal that would make Dad’s Longines look like a dainty cocktail watch.

Watches have grown as men have adopted “a kind of car collector approach” to buying them, said Tom Kalenderian, general merchandise manager of Barneys New York.

“Guys wanted a fine timekeeping device that not only kept time but said something about status and personal style,” he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/25/fashion/mens-watches-keep-getting-bigger.html?_r=2&seid=auto&smid=tw-nytimes&pagewanted=all

Jer
12-26-11, 11:40
I've been noticing the same trend. One of my childhood buddies had a HUGE one when we hung out about a month ago and he's not that big of a guy so it looks especially ridiculous on his wrist. I have rather large wrists and am a rather large guy and even I think it would look silly on me. Not sure why people want tanks on their wrist. I have a nice Tag I bought myself about a decade ago when I made some good money and couldn't be happier.

Voodoo_Man
12-26-11, 11:54
There is much debate on this topic.

Some say that the current fashion trends show women wearing larger watches, which were once traditional for men, like the 38-42mm Rolex for example. Other companies historically have made larger sized watches and this gives the industry a need to "catch up." Look at current pop culture trends in watches. Breitling, Omega, Panerai, and even Rolex all have 44mm+ sized watches, some having 47mm+ sized watches. Where as other companies who have traditionally had larger watches, AP, have gone down in size - the new AP Diver at 42mm (wears like a 44mm though).

For the average person it differs slightly as most want a "good looking" or "comfortable" time piece, not to collect or enjoy its history/mechanical design.

So technically watches for men are not "suddenly" bigger, they have always been bigger, just more companies are starting to move towards the "only bigger" sizes for men.

Take a look at what you really want from a watch and go there. Price plays a role, of course, but function is also important.

Jer
12-26-11, 12:44
There is much debate on this topic.

Some say that the current fashion trends show women wearing larger watches, which were once traditional for men, like the 38-42mm Rolex for example. Other companies historically have made larger sized watches and this gives the industry a need to "catch up." Look at current pop culture trends in watches. Breitling, Omega, Panerai, and even Rolex all have 44mm+ sized watches, some having 47mm+ sized watches. Where as other companies who have traditionally had larger watches, AP, have gone down in size - the new AP Diver at 42mm (wears like a 44mm though).

For the average person it differs slightly as most want a "good looking" or "comfortable" time piece, not to collect or enjoy its history/mechanical design.

So technically watches for men are not "suddenly" bigger, they have always been bigger, just more companies are starting to move towards the "only bigger" sizes for men.

Take a look at what you really want from a watch and go there. Price plays a role, of course, but function is also important.

I'm talking about comically large watches.

The_War_Wagon
12-26-11, 12:55
No lie. I was in the market for a SIMPLE wristwatch (Elgin, low-end Bulova, et.al.) recently, and just to get an analog, day/date watch, I look like some mid-'80's rapper wearing a sundial now! :eek:

I mean, yeah - I'm at that ackward age - and I just got my first set of bifocals a couple months ago - but sheesh! I can read a watch face without it being the size of a '60's rat-rod Moon cap!!! :blink:

SteyrAUG
12-26-11, 13:13
http://www.vh1.com/sitewide/promoimages/logos/az-project/FOL1_281x211.jpg

Voodoo_Man
12-26-11, 13:39
I'm talking about comically large watches.

Even those "comically large" watches have roots in actual usage. Google big egizano from panerai. Its big for a reason.

Jer
12-26-11, 13:58
Even those "comically large" watches have roots in actual usage. Google big egizano from panerai. Its big for a reason.

It's Egiziano and that's still no reason for these huge 'fashion' watches. It's purely for looks and it looks silly.

SteyrAUG
12-26-11, 14:23
It's Egiziano and that's still no reason for these huge 'fashion' watches. It's purely for looks and it looks silly.

Big watch to go with the Big Wagon Wheels on your car. Some people just need to go full retard.

OldState
12-26-11, 14:27
This "trend" toward big watches is about 8 years old.

subzero
12-26-11, 14:31

Agreed. These 50mm+ watches seem to me to be big for the sole purpose of being big. The side benefit is there's more room to stick fake diamonds on them.

But you kinda hit the nail on the head in calling it a fashion watch. Fashion has no basis in practicality or usability. It's simply about what's new and different from last year. Today's big fashion watches will be replaced with inexplicably tiny ones 10 years from now.

RogerinTPA
12-26-11, 15:04
I remember my dad wearing a Rolex Sub and Seiko diving watches back in the 60s, and they were issued to him. It's always been a pilot thing, in the 26 or so years that I have been involved in aviation. Especially among military aviators and SOF type personnel. As for Army Aviators, the saying went "Big watch, big wallet, big D???"

WillBrink
12-26-11, 15:07
The current record holder is probably the U-Boat U-1942, a monster at 64.4 millimeters in diameter, or about 2.5 inches.

Not really new. Been an ongoing trend for some time now.

Reagans Rascals
12-26-11, 15:11
I've never been one for jewelry. I guess that's because I've never been one for form over function.... especially when it comes to spending money on form and doing without the function.... as is the case with jewelry

I do however like Breitling watches, because I as well am a pilot. But I cannot justify spending $4000+ on a watch, when the current one I wear I bought from Walmart for $11, 3 years ago, is water and shock proof, and still works fine....

They have a model with an ELT in it that is pretty neat, but I don't fly in off-grid landscapes enough to justify the purchase....

Voodoo_Man
12-26-11, 15:15

Sorry, I skipped an "i" by accident, guess it was worth pointing out. :rolleyes:

It was not purely for looks when it was designed and there are plenty of dive watches that follow the same style.

It is a preference now a days, unless you are a diver and require it.

Jer
12-26-11, 15:23
Sorry, I skipped an "i" by accident, guess it was worth pointing out. :rolleyes:

It was not purely for looks when it was designed and there are plenty of dive watches that follow the same style.

It is a preference now a days, unless you are a diver and require it.

I was merely pointing it out to suggest I know a little something about watches and am not coming at this from the perspective of someone who doesn't 'get' watches. I realize some larger watches have a reason and have already pointed that out. I get divers have a reason but that doesn't justify why all these watches that aren't even water resistant are HUGE to the point of not even fitting inside of a coat sleeve.

You are kind of taking this serious so perhaps you own one of these comically large watches because you think they look cool? If not, then why do you care if we bag on stupid fads? Just like an off-road truck has use for a lift whereas a 1985 Cutlass does not. Are you going to defend 'Donks' next?

http://pages.jchris.couchone.com/pages/donk/donk2.jpg

Reagans Rascals
12-26-11, 15:27

ehh... that car gives me gas

Jer
12-26-11, 15:28
ehh... that car gives me gas

But it was inspired by useful vehicles with similar features so why would you think it looks silly?

Voodoo_Man
12-26-11, 15:29
I was merely pointing it out to suggest I know a little something about watches and am not coming at this from the perspective of someone who doesn't 'get' watches. I realize some larger watches have a reason and have already pointed that out. I get divers have a reason but that doesn't justify why all these watches that aren't even water resistant are HUGE to the point of not even fitting inside of a coat sleeve.

You are kind of taking this serious so perhaps you own one of these comically large watches because you think they look cool? If not, then why do you care if we bag on stupid fads? Just like an off-road truck has use for a lift whereas a 1985 Cutlass does not. Are you going to defend 'Donks' next?

Thanks for you opinion on the subject, try add something instead of your immature attempt at an insult.

Jer
12-26-11, 15:29
Thanks for you opinion on the subject, try add something instead of your immature attempt at an insult.

I did. I added a picture.

Voodoo_Man
12-26-11, 15:31

Touche.

:laugh:

SteyrAUG
12-26-11, 15:45
I remember my dad wearing a Rolex Sub and Seiko diving watches back in the 60s, and they were issued to him. It's always been a pilot thing, in the 26 or so years that I have been involved in aviation. Especially among military aviators and SOF type personnel. As for Army Aviators, the saying went "Big watch, big wallet, big D???"

There is a reason for a pilot or a diver to wear a large, easily visible watch. But there is a difference between those and the Flava Flav clock on your wrist.

Spiffums
12-26-11, 17:52
No lie. I was in the market for a SIMPLE wristwatch (Elgin, low-end Bulova, et.al.) recently, and just to get an analog, day/date watch, I look like some mid-'80's rapper wearing a sundial now! :eek:

I mean, yeah - I'm at that ackward age - and I just got my first set of bifocals a couple months ago - but sheesh! I can read a watch face without it being the size of a '60's rat-rod Moon cap!!! :blink:

http://www.vh1.com/sitewide/promoimages/logos/az-project/FOL1_281x211.jpg

Want to start a petition to get your user name to Flava? :haha:

SteyrAUG
12-26-11, 18:05
Want to start a petition to get your user name to Flava? :haha:

Boyee...

HK51Fan
12-26-11, 19:09
Rappers.............................

HK51Fan
12-26-11, 19:14
Hee heee.,..... I read the title of the thread and decided to just post a reply of why I thought watches had gotten to big, and apparently I'm right on target!! Lol!!

When I have kids.....they will not watch MTV!

RogerinTPA
12-26-11, 20:42
There is a reason for a pilot or a diver to wear a large, easily visible watch. But there is a difference between those and the Flava Flav clock on your wrist.

The OP asked when the trend started, not the why. I posted my observations of the "when", as I'm both as a long time Diver/Aviator, and with a family member as a former SOF Soldier). Your observation is obvious and duly noted.

wild_wild_wes
12-26-11, 21:08
Not really new. Been an ongoing trend for some time now.

I live under a rock. I've had the same watch for a decade I think. I was asked if I wanted a new one; I started looking at what was available and thus became shocked at all the bigness...

SteyrAUG
12-26-11, 22:31
The OP asked when the trend started, not the why. I posted my observations of the "when", as I'm both as a long time Diver/Aviator, and with a family member as a former SOF Soldier). Your observation is obvious and duly noted.

I must have somehow worded that wrong, I thought I was basically just agreeing with you. Nothing else was intended.

WillBrink
12-27-11, 07:45
I live under a rock. I've had the same watch for a decade I think. I was asked if I wanted a new one; I started looking at what was available and thus became shocked at all the bigness...

The good news is, there's still tons O choices for sizes out there, but yes, the trend in recent years toward bigger-is-better is fugly in my view for all but a few watches. Also depends on the person, a big guy can pull off a big guy can pull off a big watch. For me, 44mm is as large as I can go. Basic rule is the lugs should not go beyond width of your wrist.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b374/willbrink/P1000301.jpg

markm
12-27-11, 10:14
I like a big watch. I'm grossed out by a fat body with a standard size watch on his wrist. Makes the bastard's fatness seem even worse!

I saw some HUGE Invicta Mens watches in Kohls the other day. I mean even by my huge watch standard....

A large face watch isn't bad... a tall watch like this JSAR bumps into too much stuff for me.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/hudson020.jpg

Honu
12-27-11, 12:52
What's funny is my dad for a long time had a small Rolex or actually a large ladies model with a mans band ? Like before I was born

His reason and many in his squadron had them was in the days of the f-86 sabers they flew in the Korean war they hated the extra weight and feel when they were pulling g forces and the small light watches had less of that pull feeling ?

That was pretty interesting to hear

Rider79
12-27-11, 13:34

Zing!

Rider79
12-27-11, 13:37
Boyee...

On a side note, I met him at work a few weeks ago. All the public stuff aside, he was a polite, funny, all around nice dude.

Jer
12-27-11, 13:39
On a side note, I met him at work a few weeks ago. All the public stuff aside, he was a polite, funny, all around nice dude.

Are you a detention center deputy at the LV detention center? :confused:

...man, I'm an a roll. Better pull a Costanza: 'I'm out!' :D

Rider79
12-27-11, 13:41
Are you a detention center deputy at the LV detention center? :confused:

Nope, I work at a nightclub. He actually paid for his own shit too, celebs usually try to get free shit.

Armati
12-27-11, 13:43
There is a reason for a pilot or a diver to wear a large, easily visible watch.

This is what has been keeping money in circulation for years. It is easier to buy a watch than it is to learn to dive or fly. Bling, manscaping, metosexuality, tattoos, Harleys and Tap-Out/Affliction gear - even boring people can seem more interesting than they really are for the right price.

In other words:

http://www.jimgoad.net/index.shtml?underendowed

markm
12-27-11, 13:56
It is easier to buy a watch than it is to learn to dive or fly.

That's funny. The same could be said about most of our ARs... it's easier to buy an SBR with aimpoint than it is to make it through BUDS training or some such!

I just got a Maritac Pilot Automatic.... but it's an Anti Bling watch... Doesn't even have the date... or brand markings on the face.

Plain black zulu dive strap... it's a fairly big watch that is the polar opposite of bling.

OutlawDon
12-27-11, 13:58
I don't like the trend either.

Just bought a Casio G-shock and it's a smaller diameter which I was looking for exactly. A lot of watches are so big and clunky it's rediculous. I like it lean and mean.

http://thumbnail.image.rakuten.co.jp/@0_mall/brights/cabinet/55/awg101-1a-2.jpg

markm
12-27-11, 14:01
Case height is really where the bulk gets bad... A large bezel watch that is low to medium height isn't that bulky to me at all.

The JSAR is like a friggin Birthday cake on my wrist... bangs into everything.

Armati
12-27-11, 14:19
That's funny. The same could be said about most of our ARs... it's easier to buy an SBR with aimpoint than it is to make it through BUDS training or some such!

In this particular case it could be said that the SBR has everything you need and nothing you don't. It is not loaded down with excess bling. It is a form-function argument over a style-substance argument. A guy who civilian pilot who is only single engine VFR rated is still an actual pilot even if he does not drive an F-16. This guy is even more legit if he actually uses his plane as a form of transportation (like say in Alaska). There is nothing wrong with learning a new skill. The problem is with people who just buy things just so they can profile. I see lots of kids rocking Tap-Out/Affliction gear. Strangely, I have never seen them in any of the MMA gyms in my area.

These days, the current trend is style over substance in most things.

markm
12-27-11, 14:43
These days, the current trend is style over substance in most things.

I suppose.... I guess I'd never look at someone's watch and think that much about it.... either it's a cool watch or not. Never really though of them trying to portray an image...

I guess if they combined a specific watch with a Flight suit or some Scuba fins.... :D

WillBrink
12-27-11, 15:34
I suppose.... I guess I'd never look at someone's watch and think that much about it....

People who know/collect/appreciate watches do however. No different then say you might notice a vintage 1911 vs a polymer wonder pistol, etc. at the range.

Both go bang, one does so with a bit more class :D

Like all things, people have different motivations for owning higher end watches. High end watches are mostly about things like "complications" the movements (built in-house or not) and so forth and are a world/culture onto themselves.

Watch I'm wearing in pic in prior post got me a large consulting contract not long ago, as the person we had a casual meeting with to secure the contract was not interested.

We had a drink later, he noted the watch, and that got us off on long discussion on a mutual interest (as he pulled up his sleeve to reveal a watch made by the same company) and a friendship struck, and deal saved, much to the happiness of my partner who kinda blew the deal.

During the meeting, and at the bar where I bumped into him, the guy was wearing old baseball cap, shorts, sneakers, and old button up shirt, and a watch worth 1-2 X most people's house.

I recognized the who/what I was dealing with, my partner (not know anything about world of watches) didn't, and missed the signal sent.

In my experience, the middle and upper management are usually the guys in nice suits wearing decent watches and such, and the "money guy" who own the whole thing, often dresses low key other then one thing, often the watch being the give away....your mileage may vary. ;)

BCmJUnKie
12-27-11, 15:59

Ha I did the same thing.

Ive had mine for ALMOST 10 years, a few months ago I looked for the same one which was discontinued.

I found it on Amazon, I was very excited, ordered it.

When it arrived, it was the same one I got 7 years prior...only WAY bigger

chuckman
12-27-11, 17:40
All of the posts have been most informative and have proferred a debate worthy of the heavyweights on this forum. My two cents? Flava is still dope.

markm
12-27-11, 19:18
People who know/collect/appreciate watches do however. No different then say you might notice a vintage 1911 vs a polymer wonder pistol, etc. at the range.

No... I get that.... But If I see a guy with a dive watch, I don't assume he's trying to portray himself as a frog man.

The_War_Wagon
12-27-11, 19:26
When I have kids.....they will not watch MTV!

Why not? They just brought Beavis & Butthead back! :p

wild_wild_wes
12-27-11, 22:21
Watch I'm wearing in pic in prior post got me a large consulting contract not long ago, as the person we had a casual meeting with to secure the contract was not interested.

We had a drink later, he noted the watch, and that got us off on long discussion on a mutual interest (as he pulled up his sleeve to reveal a watch made by the same company) and a friendship struck, and deal saved, much to the happiness of my partner who kinda blew the deal.

During the meeting, and at the bar where I bumped into him, the guy was wearing old baseball cap, shorts, sneakers, and old button up shirt, and a watch worth 1-2 X most people's house.

I recognized the who/what I was dealing with, my partner (not know anything about world of watches) didn't, and missed the signal sent.

So, the power was within the watch, all along. I grok you, bro.

WillBrink
12-28-11, 07:38
No... I get that.... But If I see a guy with a dive watch, I don't assume he's trying to portray himself as a frog man.

You mean you don't assume a guy wearing a Navy SEAL dive watch is NSW? :D

chuckman
12-28-11, 07:50
When I was doing some medical consulting for a client that was a member of Fortune 500 club (top 20, at that), he wore a $50 Timex Ironman. He asked me if it was suited for the endeavor for which I was consulting (medical gear and training for an 'expedition'), I told him go for it. The dude has a net worth in the tens (hundreds?) of millions, wears a Timex Ironman, drives a Honda, and shops at Costco (I know this because during the training we hopped in his Honda and drove to Costco for TP for his home and for some pizza at the food court). Will, your post jarred my memory and made me think of this.

markm
12-28-11, 07:57
You mean you don't assume a guy wearing a Navy SEAL dive watch is NSW? :D

I've never seen one of those guys in person. But that might raise an eyebrow. :p

markm
12-28-11, 08:00
When I was doing some medical consulting for a client that was a member of Fortune 500 club (top 20, at that), he wore a $50 Timex Ironman.

I know a guy like that.... An old timer. Not that rich, but has money. Wore this nasty old timex forever. I remember he thought he lost it golfing once and went back to the Pro shop to enquire. :confused:

His kid or grand kid gave it to him and he wore that thing religiously.

Palmguy
12-28-11, 08:37

I just got a Maritac Pilot Automatic.... but it's an Anti Bling watch... Doesn't even have the date... or brand markings on the face.

Plain black zulu dive strap... it's a fairly big watch that is the polar opposite of bling.

Had to Google that...I might have to get one of those.

WillBrink
12-28-11, 08:44
I've never seen one of those guys in person. But that might raise an eyebrow. :p

Those watches are very common and rarely worn by SEALs as they don't hold up well:

http://www.usnavysealstore.com/categories.asp?cat=1489

Pushed hard as the "official" watch of US Navy SEALs, and is nothing of the sort of course. :rolleyes:

WillBrink
12-28-11, 08:46
Will, your post jarred my memory and made me think of this.

Takes all kinds bro. :cool:

markm
12-28-11, 09:27
Had to Google that...I might have to get one of those.

I'm happy with mine so far. I hate battery operated watches. I don't have time to mess with replacing those every 14 months or so.

WillBrink
12-28-11, 10:01
I'm happy with mine so far. I hate battery operated watches. I don't have time to mess with replacing those every 14 months or so.

For the $$$, a great deal and handsome to boot.

11B101ABN
12-28-11, 15:57

I would put that POS on the dang curb anytime I saw it on the street. Count on it.

I have always liked the "heft" of a larger watchj on my wrist. It inspires confidence in it's ruggedness. I dont wear watches for fashion, I wear then for thier utility depending on their features.

QuickStrike
12-29-11, 07:34
I think it's to mock my thin bitch wrists...

Maybe if they made the watch faces a little bigger I can wear it upside down as a belt buckle. :cool:

The_War_Wagon
12-29-11, 07:42
I would put that POS on the dang curb anytime I saw it on the street. Count on it.

What are those wheels made of - lexan?!?! :eek:

rojocorsa
12-30-11, 02:28
WillBrink, out of curiosity, what is the watch you posted on the previous page?

I tried making out the name on the dial but it was too difficult to read; if I had to make a guess, I'd say "Jaeger Le-Coultre."

Nice watch anyway...

Not like I can afford it, but I like the Panerai Luminor and the Rolexes Submariners and Daytonas. All beautiful timepieces.

My personal watch is pretty proletarian, and on a large-ish side as well, I think 48mm. I think that 44-50 is the sweet spot, personally.

glocktogo
12-30-11, 03:28
I don't care for big flashy watches either. When I shopped for a nice watch, I went with a Tag Heuer 2000 Multigraph. Just a 37mm black face watch with only two hands, stainless case & bracelet. It has multiple functions that remain hidden until you want them, and a single multifunction crown controls all the functions. You'd have to look hard to even realize it was more than a generic, single function watch. Sometimes, less is more. :)

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/movadobaby_2189_65917511

markm
12-30-11, 07:12
Big watches SAVE LIVES, People!

There was a DPS officer out near Yuma that took a bullet in his wrist watch. The shooter ran off into the desert and was later caught.

DPS generously replaced his watch. :sarcastic:

I was like.... THAT'S IT??? A new watch? C'MON, MAN!!!!

WillBrink
12-30-11, 08:14
WillBrink, out of curiosity, what is the watch you posted on the previous page?

I tried making out the name on the dial but it was too difficult to read; if I had to make a guess, I'd say "Jaeger Le-Coultre."

You got it. It's a Jaeger LeCoultre Master Compressor Diving Chronograph.

Nice watch anyway...

Thanx bro. ;)

Not like I can afford it, but I like the Panerai Luminor and the Rolexes Submariners and Daytonas. All beautiful timepieces.

My personal watch is pretty proletarian, and on a large-ish side as well, I think 48mm. I think that 44-50 is the sweet spot, personally.

44mm is as big as my small wrists can pull off. Bigger guys, and or guys with bigger wrists, can look fine with larger sizes it seems. Save up and get yourself a Panerai :cool:

ChicagoTex
12-30-11, 09:30
I've got about an 8" wrist circumference and have rocked the bottom of the line Casio digital for the past 15 years or so. I beat the living hell out of the things (my watch is always getting caught on something or accidentally smacked against a hard surface) and only just this year bought my third one (and the second was retired early due to band breakage). It may not be swank or stylish, but it's everything I need and nothing I don't in a slim, extremely easy to read package that's withstood literally everything I could throw at it short of deep sea diving and kept on ticking needing no more than 5 minutes of correction every year. The best part? I've spent all of $45 in the past 15 years on them.

Screw big watches. The way even my slim ones get caught up, I'm reasonably sure some of the modern sundials would break my wrist (or at least break apart themselves).

ETA: Just measured it, about 35x35mm square face, 9.3mm thick, for those curious.
http://www.casio.com/resource/images/xlarge/f105w-1a_xlarge.jpg

markm
12-30-11, 09:45
I've got about an 8" wrist circumference and have rocked the bottom of the line Casio digital for the past 15 years or so.

That's a birth control watch. Guaranteed NOT to get laid!!! :laugh:

ChicagoTex
12-30-11, 17:54
That's a birth control watch. Guaranteed NOT to get laid!!!

Meh, didn't want kids anyway!;)

I kid, I kid. Seriously though, it's never been a problem. Only once in my life have I had a chick bag on my watch, and she was just some ultra-nosy skank I was forced to share a table with at a crowded bar one night.

:eek:...I suspect most women look at it as another neat thing they can subtly change to their tastes later... :eek:

Safetyhit
12-30-11, 20:18
Any fool who assesses the status rating of any individual anywhere due to the size or design of their watch is as idiotic as the moron who sweats what they are wearing.

If it tells time reliably and can withstand moisture, it's all one needs.

Edit: Unless it can be used to shoot a grappling hook tied to a mini rope, like the one in the movie I can't remember the name of.

Voodoo_Man
12-30-11, 20:26
Any fool who assesses the status rating of any individual anywhere due to the size or design of their watch is as idiotic as the moron who sweats what they are wearing.

Edit: Unless it can be used to shoot a grappling hook tied to a mini rope, like the one in the movie I can't remember the name of.

I would disagree, slightly. Depending on the profession you can tell a lot about someone just by the type of watch they wear.

Also your comment about "if it tells time" can be switched with "if it shoots" if you follow...

Safetyhit
12-30-11, 20:43
I would disagree, slightly. Depending on the profession you can tell a lot about someone just by the type of watch they wear.

Is that a fact? Please clarify a bit more if you would be so kind. Specifically what it is about a wristwatch that determines the quality or capability of any random individual.

glocktogo
12-31-11, 00:21
Is that a fact? Please clarify a bit more if you would be so kind. Specifically what it is about a wristwatch that determines the quality or capability of any random individual.

Like he alluded to, would you take someone with a shrubmaster AR, festooned with a Barska or NCStar bauble and UTG rails seriously? Of course a complete fool with more money than sense might buy a Noveske or Knights, but they're just as likely to buy a POS.

Same for watches, footwear, outer garments, etc. The thought they put into selecting their daily tools, speaks to their outlook on things in general. We don't always have loads of time to assess people we might need to interact with, so using certain benchmarks can at least give us a frame of reference on where to start.

ChicagoTex
12-31-11, 03:01
Like he alluded to, would you take someone with a shrubmaster AR, festooned with a Barska or NCStar bauble and UTG rails seriously? Of course a complete fool with more money than sense might buy a Noveske or Knights, but they're just as likely to buy a POS.

Same for watches, footwear, outer garments, etc. The thought they put into selecting their daily tools, speaks to their outlook on things in general. We don't always have loads of time to assess people we might need to interact with, so using certain benchmarks can at least give us a frame of reference on where to start.

This comparison really doesn't work because you're comparing a tool that, in at least some cases, your life may depend on to what is ostensibly a fashion accessory. When people start getting killed from the sudden failure of their Casios, this will begin to make sense.

Let's try looking at it from a different angle. If I billed myself as a watch enthusiast or expert and walked around telling everyone I meet about how my $15 Casio is clearly as good as or superior to a $10,000 Rolex Certified Chronometer, that would indeed convey the clear message that I am not to be taken seriously. However, I really don't give a flip about my watches outside of their ability to tell me the approximate time and withstand my daily abuses, and I make that explicitly clear to anyone who asks. What about that should really change the way I am perceived or treated?

Consider this: what would it really say about me if I sunk a bunch of effort and money into crap I don't care about (i.e. watches) at the expense of hobbies I love (i.e. shooting) because I was concerned some judgemental character who doesn't know me might decide in the couple seconds it takes him to get his $7 cup of coffee back to his $50,000+ debtmobile that I'm a waste of space because I didn't blow as much on my fashion accessory as he did on his?
Do you by any chance go to the range and tell people who only go out once every 3 years to put a few dozen holes in some paper with their Olympic (and have no intention of using it for defense) that they need to pick up a $2000 Noveske ASAP to be taken seriously as a human being?

I save my money and time for things that are important to me* and only the most shallow, insecure, or deceitful people have any reason to do otherwise. Besides, I have no interest in having such characters in my life anyway.

* if you buy such things for business purposes, say meeting high-end business clientele and dressing for such occaisons, it qualifies under my definition of "important to you" regardless of your personal enthusiasm for such things because presumably keeping your job is important to you.

P.S. This post is absolutely NOT criticizing people who genuinely enjoy fine watches, clothes, etc (for whatever reason) and spend accordingly. This is about posing to meet inappropriate standards, not about watches per se.

rojocorsa
12-31-11, 04:40
See, I agree with both sides of this present argument.

For all intents and purposes, the Casio and the Rolex both do the same thing and tell time with a reasonable degree of accuracy, no? Just because one costs less, it doesnt mean that it will merely break down only because it exists (like a Plumcrazy lower :suicide: ).

But I guess it honestly comes down to someone either having a lot of money to blow off or a person being a watch enthusiast/appreciator of fine things.

For those that do wear costly timepieces you can certainly tell something about them, ie some guy with a big-ass blinged out watch compared to someone wearing, say, a Patek-Phillipe. ;) You do the math.

I know one guy that owns a Rolex Submariner (doesn't have any kids, which gives him extra $$$), and as he put it, I'll never have to buy any other watch in my life again.

Who the hell pays $7 for coffee anyway?

Voodoo_Man
12-31-11, 07:24
As was mentioned I alluded the fact that certain watches would not worn by certain people, just like certain people would have specific gear setup or rifle setup (while there may be the odd ball who copies a setup or his dad buys him a watch).

If you are a well off individual, a high priced lawyer, businessman, etc and you go to have lunch/meeting with whoever for whatever reason and they are trying to get your business are you more or less likely to listen to what they have to say if they are wearing a $25 Casio, a $5,000 Rolex or a $50,000 Patek? As the example given before, you meet someone who is an alleged watch "person" and they are wearing an Invicta, would you be inclined to believe what they way? How about if they are wearing a 50 yr old VC or AP? As the posts above explained, a watch is a specific statement just as a piece of kit, a handgun, a rifle, gear setups and clothing choices.

As I mentioned before, there will always be the oddball here and there that just happens to get a certain setup or piece of kit that makes them look the part but you will quickly understand through conversation or their ability what the "deal" is.

With all things to do with personal choice we are tethered to its perceptions from others. Many of you dislike big watches, that is your opinion and you are entitled to it, but be sure that many do not share your opinions even if you are agreed with on one specific internet forum.

WillBrink
12-31-11, 09:25

That's life in certain circles, business, etc. You don't have to like it. You also don't (apparently) work/travel among those circles. I don't judge a person's character by what they wear (unless it's a "I hate guns T shirt" or something) but what they wear does in fact tell others of their (possible) status in various settings, and is often a point of contact, etc as mentioned in the prior post.

Two, some simply love high end watches, for reasons you don't have to "get" if you so choose not to, but branding everyone as "morons" because they don't fit your world view on time pieces, not very charitable of "M4C Like" in my view.

GTifosi
12-31-11, 09:28
Other than actual necessity due to job or task being undertaken, a lot of folks seem to be missing the bigger picture:

Most people below a certain age cannot actually tell time by looking at a chronograph type timepiece, they need a digital readout to tell them 15:47 or half past 7.

Based on that, getting a bigger than normal timepiece can serve two purposes.

One, it's large enough that when someone comes up and asks the time the wearer can just flash the face at the asker, and if they know how to tell time will say thanks and walk away.
If they cannot and actually ask again, they get ridiculed by the wearer (who may not actually know how to tell time themselves) for not knowing enough to tell time so piss off because they aren't going to tell them.
Ignorance trying to hide itself by attacking others ignorance.

Two, they are trying to show off that they actually do know how to tell time, but can't figure out how to impress thier friends with that fact in a not so seemingly needy way.
Buy a big watch, friends ooh and ahh at the bling, and from that point forth the watch guy is the go-to guy for time, which gives him oppertunity to show off his mad skilz likely several times a day.
This in turn can be leveraged by a forward thinking individual with a watch into a situation where they become the alpha male.
After all, they know how to tell time (proof of thier smarts) they are getting a little more attention than the regular guy in the sense of one on one or one on many exposure and this leads to the kind of familiarity. Get enough familiars and one can lever themself into a postion of power.

Much more likely the former by a broad margin rather than the latter of course, but both scenarios have played out just like that more than once I assure you. For the latter you just need to hang around with a greater number of dumbasses as opposed to mearly looking like a dumbass in the former.

Remember, there's a whole generation out there who thought that the height of fashion was an adult who carried a pacifier on a string around thier neck so they could publically suck on it at thier convenience.

WillBrink
12-31-11, 09:38
If you are a well off individual, a high priced lawyer, businessman, etc and you go to have lunch/meeting with whoever for whatever reason and they are trying to get your business are you more or less likely to listen to what they have to say if they are wearing a $25 Casio, a $5,000 Rolex or a $50,000 Patek?

I promise you, you don't go to a meeting with people who own 100 million dollar companies, trying to talk them out of big $$$ wearing a Casio, especially if they so happen to be into watches. As outlined prior, I saved a major deal via watch alone as the common denominator between us (we both dig nice watches) and it's not the first time either.

It's human nature to look for a common denominator to have something in common, and "watch guys" are as tight a group as any.

PaulL
12-31-11, 11:29
Granted, I'm in the petrochemical business, and most people have made their living by getting dirty for many years, but none of the millionaires I know wear a watch at all. They give me crap for spending 40 bucks on the base model G-Shock. It all depends on the industry. In this one, you judge the guy's wealth by his boots, truck, liquor of choice, or the size of his barn.

As for large watches, the biggest I can wear without looking 100% doucher is the GSAR. Since I normally ride at around 93% doucher (according to my coworkers), I have to be very careful about my fashion choices. Regardless, the big watch trend in my area seems to be confined to soft, fuzzy corporate pole-smoking weenies and people who live on perpetual welfare. It's safer to just wear a nice, run-of-the-mill, average-size watch.

You've also missed something worse than giant watches - tiny little rubber band workout watches. :eek:

glocktogo
12-31-11, 11:45
This comparison really doesn't work because you're comparing a tool that, in at least some cases, your life may depend on to what is ostensibly a fashion accessory. When people start getting killed from the sudden failure of their Casios, this will begin to make sense.

Let's try looking at it from a different angle. If I billed myself as a watch enthusiast or expert and walked around telling everyone I meet about how my $15 Casio is clearly as good as or superior to a $10,000 Rolex Certified Chronometer, that would indeed convey the clear message that I am not to be taken seriously. However, I really don't give a flip about my watches outside of their ability to tell me the approximate time and withstand my daily abuses, and I make that explicitly clear to anyone who asks. What about that should really change the way I am perceived or treated?

Consider this: what would it really say about me if I sunk a bunch of effort and money into crap I don't care about (i.e. watches) at the expense of hobbies I love (i.e. shooting) because I was concerned some judgemental character who doesn't know me might decide in the couple seconds it takes him to get his $7 cup of coffee back to his $50,000+ debtmobile that I'm a waste of space because I didn't blow as much on my fashion accessory as he did on his?
Do you by any chance go to the range and tell people who only go out once every 3 years to put a few dozen holes in some paper with their Olympic (and have no intention of using it for defense) that they need to pick up a $2000 Noveske ASAP to be taken seriously as a human being?

I save my money and time for things that are important to me* and only the most shallow, insecure, or deceitful people have any reason to do otherwise. Besides, I have no interest in having such characters in my life anyway.

* if you buy such things for business purposes, say meeting high-end business clientele and dressing for such occaisons, it qualifies under my definition of "important to you" regardless of your personal enthusiasm for such things because presumably keeping your job is important to you.

P.S. This post is absolutely NOT criticizing people who genuinely enjoy fine watches, clothes, etc (for whatever reason) and spend accordingly. This is about posing to meet inappropriate standards, not about watches per se.

You've inferred a lot from my post. And just like Safetyhit, you seem to believe that you can judge others by their choices, but we shouldn't do the same? Words like fool, moron, skank, shallow, insecure, deceitful, judgmental, etc. didn't come from us. Whether you like it or not, your choices in life do say things about you. An astute person would understand this I should think. :(

ChicagoTex
12-31-11, 12:43
Very little of my post was directed specifically at you, glocktogo. I think you were trying to come from a position of "at least for some people, this is the way it is" while I was trying to explain why the way it is is absurd. And as I do not do business in circles like Mr. Brink, where that absurdity can cost me my income, I have the luxury of taking the position that people who exercise that absurdity aren't worth having in my life.

ChicagoTex
12-31-11, 12:57
On an additional note: I have no problem with people being judgemental and freely admit that I myself am a pretty judgemental person. I just believe that clothes and accessories are an extremely poor criteria for judgement.

Safetyhit
12-31-11, 13:54
You also don't (apparently) work/travel among those circles.

This is one dimensional thinking at best and reeks of materialism. I couldn't give two fu*ks about someones watch and I've done business all over the world. Thanks for kind words though.

Two, some simply love high end watches, for reasons you don't have to "get" if you so choose not to, but branding everyone as "morons" because they don't fit your world view on time pieces, not very charitable of "M4C Like" in my view.

Materialism is moronic, so take it as you will. You want a nice watch because they are what you like to collect? Fantastic. But to think that as I sit and talk business with you or anyone else you would sit and fixate on my watch is a friggin joke. I know many do it, fortunately most don't.

WillBrink
12-31-11, 14:24
This is one dimensional thinking at best and reeks of materialism. I couldn't give two fu*ks about someones watch and I've done business all over the world. Thanks for kind words though.
Materialism is moronic, so take it as you will. You want a nice watch because they are what you like to collect? Fantastic. But to think that as I sit and talk business with you or anyone else you would sit and fixate on my watch is a friggin joke. I know many do it, fortunately most don't.

Too bad a discussion on watches required a lecture on materialism and the "morons" who practice it, yada yada.

If you don't enjoy nice watches, don't get one. I enjoy them, so I did. I'm out. :cool:

Safetyhit
12-31-11, 14:31
Too bad a discussion on watches...

A discussion about watches, or the worthiness of those that wear them?

If you don't enjoy nice watches, don't get one. I enjoy them, so I did. I'm out. :cool:

Good for you. Just make certain that the next poor fellow who's character and capabilities you judge based on their watch isn't wearing one that someone else bought for them as a gift.

Will your a nice guy and I'm not looking to jab you, just think the whole idea is silly and filled with room for perceptive error.

glocktogo
12-31-11, 14:56
Very little of my post was directed specifically at you, glocktogo. I think you were trying to come from a position of "at least for some people, this is the way it is" while I was trying to explain why the way it is is absurd. And as I do not do business in circles like Mr. Brink, where that absurdity can cost me my income, I have the luxury of taking the position that people who exercise that absurdity aren't worth having in my life.

I think there's way too much butthurt in this thread over a simple comment.

Almost any material object can be used to establish a common bond with someone from which to begin a conversation, all the way to establishing personal or professional relationships. You can compliment someone's shoes, watch, gun, bag, car, the list goes on and on.

In my environment, situational awareness can aid me in ways from making my job easier, making me appear professional to colleagues, superiors and others I have to work with, all the way to saving my life. That includes taking note of personal details that individuals display, both in material objects, speech, body language, etc.

I might begin a subject interview by commenting on some personal effect, in order to establish a common link and relax that person slightly by taking their focus off the reason for the interview. It might factor into establishing a baseline behavior from which to recognize stressors and truthful or non-truthful responses to questioning.

Likewise, I can use visual information to establish a line of questioning. Say I'm investigating a theft and I'm interviewing a suspect. I might observe that they have a cheap watch, worn shoes and soiled clothing. I might "softball" the idea that they only stole because they're desperate and needed it, but they really aren't a bad person.

I might take into account an unknown person's effects if approached for help with money or gas or food. I might determine how much I'm willing to negotiate the price on a personal sale or purchase based on how "well to do" the person appears. There are a million reasons to judge someones selections on individual property that have nothing to do with their character or capabilities.

A discussion about watches, or the worthiness of those that wear them?

Good for you. Just make certain that the next poor fellow who's character and capabilities you judge based on their watch isn't wearing a one that someone else bought for them as a gift.

See my comments above, because you're WAY off the mark. :(

WillBrink
12-31-11, 15:35
See my comments above, because you're WAY off the mark. :(

Yup...

WillBrink
12-31-11, 15:55
A Just make certain that the next poor fellow who's character and capabilities you judge based on their watch

What part of "I don't judge a person's character by what they wear" didn't you see sir?

The perceptive error is with you at this point. You have selectively commented (with less then respectful terms I might add like "morons" and such) where you perceived some judgment on others choice of watches, and ignored the parts that cover that issue also.

I have seen a thread on watches do this countless times:

Person starts thread

Talk goes in the direction of watches people want, wear, etc, and expensive watches get mentioned at some point.

Someone always then says "I can't see ever spending that much on a watch, it just tells time, anyone who cares about such things is snob, yada yada"

And the thread goes off the rails as this one did.

Materialistic or enjoying the fruits of your labor in free market we work so hard to defend? It's "materialism" if you judge others by it, it's enjoying the fruits of your labor on something you enjoy, if you don't.

I don't, but I also know human beings are visual animals that make all manner of assessments about each other, both conscious and unconscious, based on visual cues. I tend to make that work in my favor where/when possible, as I need all the help I can get :D

I'd never buy an expensive watch just to impress others, but I don't mind at all that my love of nice watches tends to give a cue that may help me in some situations, and it has.

Safetyhit
12-31-11, 16:09

Ok, fair enough Will. I supposed I lumped you in with this fellow.

Again Voodoo, I wholeheartedly disagree. A nice watch may mean someone has money, but it speaks nothing of their character, credibility or capability. And as stated it could simply be a gift.

Also your comment about "if it tells time" can be switched with "if it shoots" if you follow...

Comparing the critical, potentially life saving functionality of a firearm to that of a watch is so off base I won't touch it beyond that.

WillBrink
12-31-11, 16:25
Ok, fair enough Will. I supposed I lumped you in with this fellow.

Perhaps! :D

wild_wild_wes
12-31-11, 19:19
I have seen a thread on watches do this countless times:

Person starts thread

Talk goes in the direction of watches people want, wear, etc, and expensive watches get mentioned at some point...

Someone always then says "I can't see ever spending that much on a watch, it just tells time, anyone who cares about such things is snob, yada yada"...

And the thread goes off the rails as this one did...

Then why didn't you warn me!?!

rojocorsa
12-31-11, 20:06
I actually learned a thing or two from this thread. :big_boss:

Mind you, I'm turning 20 this year so I don't have as much life experience as many of you.

I dig analog watches, FWIW too.

SteyrAUG
12-31-11, 21:12

As a Rolex owner I completely agree.

I am exactly the same guy I was when I wore a Luminox. The magic watch fairy never showed up and made me "special" because I bought a Rolex.

Also, unlike some, I bought the Rolex for me, not for other people. I didn't give a damn what most people thought about me before I had one, I don't give a damn now. I bought it because I think a chronometer is a damn interesting watch (no batteries, etc.) and like some guns I can appreciate the genius in the design.

Also I have admired the look of Rolex watches since I was a kid, and like many guns I also admired as a kid, I decided I'd have my own some day and was lucky enough to be able to do it.

If people want to look up to me because of the watch I wear, well that is their value system not mine. By the same token, if people want to look down on me as some kind of watch snob, well the same thing applies.

When I was younger I dressed and did things with the intention of impressing people (mostly girls) or just fitting in. Now that I'm much older, I pretty much don't give a damn what most people think, it's not like they are paying my bills or anything.

SteyrAUG
12-31-11, 21:19
Those watches are very common and rarely worn by SEALs as they don't hold up well:

http://www.usnavysealstore.com/categories.asp?cat=1489

Pushed hard as the "official" watch of US Navy SEALs, and is nothing of the sort of course. :rolleyes:

I have one, I actually wish it DIDN'T say Navy SEALs on it. I wouldn't have minded a USN Anchor or something like that, but the SEAL thing is for the wannabe crowd.

But I like the watch itself, nice and bright. Analog with a rotating bezel for timing things AND has a compass. So it's just like the Red Ryder BB gun, you gotta have a compass.

:D

But it's a great bang around watch.

WillBrink
01-01-12, 08:43
Then why didn't you warn me!?!

Like warning a teen boy women are trouble; gotta learn that one for himself :p

montanadave
01-01-12, 09:13
Like warning a teen boy women are trouble; gotta learn that one for himself :p

And to bring it all home with the obligatory crude joke.

During an amorous session of "heavy petting" (as we called it back in the day), the young lady whispered to her boyfriend, "Sweetheart, could you take off your ring? It's hurting me." To which the young man replied, "That's not my ring, honey. It's my wristwatch." :jester:

Cobra66
01-01-12, 10:43

Well, if the size of the watch was somehow tied to the salaries of Aviators, I would think we would all be wearing ladies Swatches
these days. ;)

RogerinTPA
01-01-12, 19:30
Well, if the size of the watch was somehow tied to the salaries of Aviators, I would think we would all be wearing ladies Swatches
these days. ;)

For regional pilots and for the first year at a major legacy airline, I agree.

Skyyr
01-02-12, 11:10
I've always been against "big" watches for the most part. My wife got me a Casio Pathfinder 1300T-7 several months back. Despite it being larger than what I would consider ideal, I find it highly functional and it makes viewing the time, whether in the cockpit or simply outdoors, nothing more than a flick of the wrist and a quick glance. I've owned much more expensive watches, namely Citizens Skyhawks / Black Eagles, etc. (nothing like a Rolex) and I find this watch the easiest to use by far.

It's a plus that it has a digital compass, altimeter/baro, thermometer, and it syncs wireless with the atomic clock in Boulder, CO.

glocktogo
01-03-12, 00:19
I've always been against "big" watches for the most part. My wife got me a Casio Pathfinder 1300T-7 several months back. Despite it being larger than what I would consider ideal, I find it highly functional and it makes viewing the time, whether in the cockpit or simply outdoors, nothing more than a flick of the wrist and a quick glance. I've owned much more expensive watches, namely Citizens Skyhawks / Black Eagles, etc. (nothing like a Rolex) and I find this watch the easiest to use by far.

It's a plus that it has a digital compass, altimeter/baro, thermometer, and it syncs wireless with the atomic clock in Boulder, CO.

Might have to pick one of those up for a field watch, thanks for the heads up!

J8127
01-03-12, 01:28
All of my watches are big, but I'm also 6'2. I wear a Suunto for work and have some Diesel's and Fossil's for other times. My expensive fancy watch is like a $300 Seiko. I'll never spend thousands on a watch.

WillBrink
01-03-12, 09:32
All of my watches are big, but I'm also 6'2. I wear a Suunto for work and have some Diesel's and Fossil's for other times. My expensive fancy watch is like a $300 Seiko.

Size of the person is directly proportional to the size of the watch as being "too big"

However, some are just goofy big and look awful. :D

Basic rule is, lugs should not go past wrist. :cool:

I'll never spend thousands on a watch.

What ever works for you...

wild_wild_wes
11-22-12, 15:26
Okay, now I'm noticing women with the big watches too! It used to be, they wore teeny tiny dime-sized timepieces.

cinco
11-22-12, 20:40
Big Hat, No Cattle...

Moose-Knuckle
11-22-12, 21:17
Whoa necro post . . .

As for large men's watch faces, modern day codpiece . . . http://websmileys.com/sm/sad/533.gif

sinlessorrow
11-23-12, 13:13
I rock pocket watches. I never could get used to having a watch on my wrist.

11-23-12, 17:16
I rock pocket watches.

Does it match your monacle?:D

montanadave
11-23-12, 17:27
Whoa necro post . . .

As for large men's watch faces, modern day codpiece . . . http://websmileys.com/sm/sad/533.gif

It takes a licking and keeps on ... dicking?

sinlessorrow
11-23-12, 18:43
Does it match your monacle?:D

Don't hate just because you wish you had a pocket watch.

Magic_Salad0892
11-23-12, 20:43
I rock pocket watches.

I believe that's called a phone.

sinlessorrow
11-23-12, 21:47

Not allowed to have cell phones at work so I needed a watch and chose a pocket watch.

Magic_Salad0892
11-23-12, 21:50
Not allowed to have cell phones at work so I needed a watch and chose a pocket watch.

I've always wanted a sundial that I could wear on my wrist like on the Flintstones.

11-23-12, 22:30
It takes a licking and keeps on ... dicking?

Funny!

11-23-12, 22:31

Good one as well.

11-23-12, 22:33
Don't hate just because you wish you had a pocket watch.

C'mon bro. It was a good hit.:D The 1800's called and want you back.

11-23-12, 22:35
I've always wanted a sundial that I could wear on my wrist like on the Flintstones.

And since I cannot multiple quote, or am too stupid to know how: Nice!

This thread turned out alright!

For some.:p

sinlessorrow
11-23-12, 23:43
C'mon bro. It was a good hit.:D The 1800's called and want you back.

:jester: Yeah, yeah, yeah....Laugh all you want. It's ok deep down I know you are all jealous.

Magic_Salad0892
11-24-12, 00:05
Tick Tock Tick Tock It's time to feed the croc.