PDA

View Full Version : Mec-Gar magazines.

duece71
12-26-11, 08:38
I am thinking of picking some of these up for my Hi Power. Can I buy with confidence or should I run to the hills?
Thank you.

mkmckinley
12-26-11, 08:54
I haven't used any of the Hi-Power ones but I have five of the 92FS mags and they work well. They're generally considered very high quality mags. I believe they're the OEM for SIG and Beretta but I could be wrong on that.

Ranger325
12-26-11, 09:16
I have some Mec-Gar's for my Daly Hi Power knockoff and have never had a problem with them.

High Tower
12-26-11, 09:52
I haven't used any of the Hi-Power ones but I have five of the 92FS mags and they work well. They're generally considered very high quality mags. I believe they're the OEM for SIG and Beretta but I could be wrong on that.

They are and have been the OEM supplier for a long time for various companies. I'm told a vast majority of their business is with companies, not retail.

I would buy with confidence.

Dienekes
12-26-11, 12:15
I use them in my BHP. They are OEM anyway. Good mags, nary a problem..

Univibe
12-26-11, 15:02
I use them in my BHP. They are OEM anyway. Good mags, nary a problem..

This.

DaveR
12-26-11, 15:09
I've also heard that they are OEM for Beretta.

I've used them for several years in my S&W 915 and 3913. Never a problem.

Dave

Vulture38
12-26-11, 15:21
Everything I've ever heard about them tells me you are good to go.

loupav
12-26-11, 15:52
I've used them for Beretta, Sig and Ruger, they're excellent.

Torsion
12-26-11, 17:09
They are good to go. Those and factory mags are all I'll use for my CZs. I have about 8 of em in both 9mm and .40.

littlejerry
12-26-11, 17:15
I also used Mec-Gar mags exclusively with my CZ-75(one of my factory mags actually had Mec-Gar markings on it) and never had an issue.

I especially liked their "AFC" line of mags with the fancy coating and extra capacity.

Quentin
12-26-11, 18:43
I have three 15rd Mec-Gars that work perfectly in my Hi Power. Never heard a bad word about Mec-Gar in any other gun either.

samuse
12-26-11, 21:35
I used to shoot Hi Powers A LOT, all I used were 13 round Mec-Gars.

NEVER had a problem with one. FN/Browning Hi Power + good ammo + 13 round Mec Gars = A 9mm with unsurpasses reliability.

Univibe
12-26-11, 21:44
Anybody try the 15 round Mec-gars in the Browning HP?

samuse
12-26-11, 21:48
Anybody try the 15 round Mec-gars in the Browning HP?

Yep. I have a few and have never had a problem with 'em but I have heard of reports of follower tilt or something, but I never had an issue using ball ammo.

I also have a couple of 20 round Mec Gars and they work well also.

Dionysusigma
12-26-11, 21:58
Mec-Gars are good.

It's ProMag that needs to be run away from.

Surf
12-27-11, 01:19
I will just say that the mags that Mec Gar produces for Sig as OEM are produced to specific specifications by Sig Sauer. In other words the Mec Gar mags that I have used that fit the Sig but are labeled Mec Gar are nowhere near the same quality as the ones that they produce as OEM Sig mags. I mean everything from the base plate / extension to the tube, to the springs, to the followers. Just because something is produced by a certain manufacturer for a specific customer doesn't necessarily mean that they are produced to the same quality across the board.

Iyyobr
12-27-11, 02:20
i think there also oem for magnum industry

duece71
12-27-11, 07:00
All,
Thank you for the replies. By the sounds of it, Mec-Gar are GTG and I will head over to 44MAG.com and "load up".....:D
Thanks again. My Hi Power will thank me I am sure.

Jmacken37
12-29-11, 19:12
I've used CZ and Sig Mec Gars and have been very happy with them. The AFG (I think that was the acronym) mags with the anti-friction coating for the Sig were particularly nice.

Last I checked, Mec Gar were making mags for the S&W M&P.

Jake

Glock Holiday
12-29-11, 19:17
Never had a problem with them in my P220,P6 or my S&W 1911.

Rob_0811
12-30-11, 08:43
I use the 18 rounders in my 226 and they work great.

Silvanus
12-30-11, 15:46
I used a couple of 13 rounders in my HP and they worked flawlessly. Like others have said before they manufacture the factory delivered magazines for a lot of good companies anyway.

Savior 6
12-31-11, 00:01
I am thinking of picking some of these up for my Hi Power. Can I buy with confidence or should I run to the hills?
Thank you.

Bought a used Sig back in the day and it came with some after market mags (Mec-gar) that became my favorite, especially with the +2 for 9mm. Don't be afraid because they make mags for most of the big names. I.E. - Sig, Beretta, Walther, etc.

Alaskapopo
01-01-12, 00:33
Mec Gar's have been excellent for me with two exceptions one being their 1911 mags sucked the big one. The other being their Para 10 round mags during the crime bill also sucked.
pat

fred
01-02-12, 21:09
I'm sure you probably already bought some... but I think good products/companies should be plugged as much as possible! I used Mecgar 13 and 15 rounders for my old BHP, as well as for my Beretta. Never a problem, never a hiccup. I would buy them exclusively if I had any guns that used them. If only I could find one of those FNH-marked High Powers they were selling a few years ago...

blasternank
01-02-12, 23:32
My dad had some of those for his hi power. None worked. He sent them back to the company and they just sent him some newly designed ones. I think they have worked out but am not 100% sure. I know he went through a bunch of the other mec gars with little to no reliable success.

aflin
01-03-12, 13:17
Mec-Gars have a well deserved reputation for producing high quality, reliable and durable mags. With my sig and beretta mags from mec-gar, I can attest to their quality. Awesome awesome magazines.

K Town
01-03-12, 15:11
Mec-Gars have a well deserved reputation for producing high quality, reliable and durable mags. With my sig and beretta mags from mec-gar, I can attest to their quality. Awesome awesome magazines.

QFT

I have yet to handle a magazine that could even come close to their 9mm P226 18rd AFC mags.

titanse05
01-03-12, 15:59
I bought 4 mec-gar 7 round mags for my 1911s two years ago and I was not a fan of them. Multiple FTF with all three of my normally functionallty flawless 1911s. Sold them on the cheap and bought some Checkmates and never had another mag related problem.

williejc
01-03-12, 18:06
I've used Mec-Gars in BHP's for years with no problems. Same is true for Beretta's.

duece71
01-03-12, 18:19
I managed to get to go to Copes Distributing today here in Ohio. I had never been to their retail outlet. Very nice showroom, although a bit cold inside brrrrrr. They had all manner of Mec-Gar magazines for sale.......except for the BHP!! In fact, all of the Mec-Gar packages did not even show that Mec-Gar made magazines for the BHP (info panel on the back of the magazine package).
Is this just an error on the package? Seems strange NOT to list BHP on the back of all the packages along with all of the other manufacturers.

Wildcat
01-03-12, 19:09
I managed to get to go to Copes Distributing today here in Ohio. I had never been to their retail outlet. Very nice showroom, although a bit cold inside brrrrrr. They had all manner of Mec-Gar magazines for sale.......except for the BHP!! In fact, all of the Mec-Gar packages did not even show that Mec-Gar made magazines for the BHP (info panel on the back of the magazine package).
Is this just an error on the package? Seems strange NOT to list BHP on the back of all the packages along with all of the other manufacturers.

There is insufficient room on the back of the package to list all the magazines tha Mec Gar makes.

They produce at least five different models of mags for the 9mm Hi-Power.

tpd223
01-03-12, 20:59
I've used Mec gar mags with my 3rd gen S&W 9mms when we carried those at work, and with Beretta 92s/M9s, never had an issue. They make a high quality magazine.

duece71
01-04-12, 09:52
There is insufficient room on the back of the package to list all the magazines tha Mec Gar makes.

They produce at least five different models of mags for the 9mm Hi-Power.

Ok, thanks, I didn't realize that was the case at first glance.

Patriotme
01-04-12, 10:08
I've used their mags in the past for several handguns and they worked fine. Up until about 2 years ago I had a Browning Hi Power Practical in .40cal. I had a couple of the Mec Gar mags and never had any issues with them. There is only one thing that I would mention about their Hi Power mags. The magazines that I bought did not have that small spring at the bottom to help the mag drop out of the magazine freely. I usually had to pull the mags out . Just something to look for. I haven't bought any of their Hi Power mags in years so that may have changed.

duece71
01-04-12, 10:39
I've used their mags in the past for several handguns and they worked fine. Up until about 2 years ago I had a Browning Hi Power Practical in .40cal. I had a couple of the Mec Gar mags and never had any issues with them. There is only one thing that I would mention about their Hi Power mags. The magazines that I bought did not have that small spring at the bottom to help the mag drop out of the magazine freely. I usually had to pull the mags out . Just something to look for. I haven't bought any of their Hi Power mags in years so that may have changed.

This is curious. I have never had a mag drop free out of my BHP. I have always had to pull them out after hitting the magazine release. Hitting the mag release drops the mag out of the bottom of the frame by about a quarter of an inch, maybe less. I thought this was a design of the BHP (at least in 9mm anyway). Is this correct? I know I am in the process of Hijacking my own thread.....:p

Silvanus
01-04-12, 16:32
Never had the mags drop free from my HP either... I was using three different types of magazines too. The Mec-Gars were actually the easiest to remove since they had some kind of slick and shiny blued finish. The magazines that came with the gun had a matte finish (possibly from use though) and were not slick at all.

I donīt know if that could make a difference either way, but after a couple of months I removed the magazine safety and there was no noticable difference in regards to the magazines dropping or not.

Wildcat
01-04-12, 17:32
The usual reason that magazines won't drop free from the Hi-Power is due to the magazine disconnect.

There is a plunger that projects into the magazine well from the rear of the trigger. It pushes strongly enough to keep empty mags from falling out when the release is pushed. It also effects the quality of the trigger pull. Thank the French. They requested the 'feature' when the Hi-Power was being designed.

Fast forward to the 1990's. Following enactment of the odious "Crime Bill", magazines were limited to 10 rounds and this left empty space in the magazine body. Someone at Browning decided to make use of the empty space and designed the base plate to include a spring to assist ejection of the magazine. Now the mags drop free. I guess you would look at it as making the best of a poor situation.

duece71
01-04-12, 21:42
The usual reason that magazines won't drop free from the Hi-Power is due to the magazine disconnect.

There is a plunger that projects into the magazine well from the rear of the trigger. It pushes strongly enough to keep empty mags from falling out when the release is pushed. It also effects the quality of the trigger pull. Thank the French. They requested the 'feature' when the Hi-Power was being designed.

Fast forward to the 1990's. Following enactment of the odious "Crime Bill", magazines were limited to 10 rounds and this left empty space in the magazine body. Someone at Browning decided to make use of the empty space and designed the base plate to include a spring to assist ejection of the magazine. Now the mags drop free. I guess you would look at it as making the best of a poor situation.

Interesting, I have never heard of this. So the magazines that are produced now have these spring thingys?? I just want a plain old magazine that will NOT drop free.