PDA

View Full Version : Vickers Tactical 2 Day Carbine. Dec. 19-20, 2011 Louisville KY

kwelz
12-26-11, 12:34
Vickers Tactical 2 Day Carbine. Dec. 19-20, 2011 Louisville KY
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=93353

Range conditions: Muddy as F*#K

Class Size: 18 Students +2 AIs.

I have done a number of VSM classes, many of them with the shooters at this class. However this is the first time that we had actually had a class with LAV as the instructor.

I would say it was like trying to drink from a fire hose. But that doesn’t quite go far enough.

Day 1

We started off the first day making sure everyone had a good Zero at 50 yards. Larry also discussed the benefits (or lack thereof) of various Zeroing ranges.

Thankfully after we had all zeroed our guns we moved to an area that less resemble a swamp without trees. Once settled in we started with some basic drills. First with single shots then moving onto longer strings of shots at ranges from 5 yards back to 25. Unlike a lot of the classes I have been too LAV didn’t’ spend a lot of time going over holdover and other basics. If it had been needed I have no doubt he would have but most of the shooters were pretty squared away with these basics.

Most of the morning of the first day was spent doing similar drills to make sure everyone was squared away. Overall the morning went pretty smoothly although I had ongoing problems with my gun that eventually led to me switching out to my 14.5” Noveske.

After lunch we moved on to transitions. And there is where it all went wrong. A lot of us kind of fell apart during transitions. A number of us would nail the Rifle shot but then throw the 1st and 2nd pistol shot. Thankfully none of us threw them too badly but we had to really bear down and get it together.

The rest of day one was comprised of various similar drills focused on the fundamentals of shooting carbine. I felt that the drills themselves were almost secondary to the information LAV presented along with them. His knowledge and experience really are second to none.

At the start of the day we had broken down into 3 teams. After every drill, each team would run through it on the clock. This added another angle to the skills and no small bit of pressure. If you are just doing a drill on your own it is easy to convince yourself that you can move slower than you should or that a minor mistake is ok. But when your entire team is relying on you to not only do it right but do it fast it ratchets it up a notch or three.

I felt this was a very important aspect of the class and really added to the experience.

Day 2

The second day started off with a quick review of what we did the day before. This gave everyone a chance to warm up which given the fact it had gotten colder I think a number of us needed it in more ways than one.

This day had a number of more advanced skills. Shoulder switching being the one I hate the most. I still haven’t mastered being able to shoot with my weak hand eye without squinting my strong side eye.

The afternoon was mainly shooting on the move. Some of us did better than others. One friend of mine can do this better than he shoots on a flat range. But I had issues with it. It seems to be the way I walk. I really need to work on keeping my feet strait when I am moving. By not doing that I have way to much bounce in my movement and throw shots all over the place.

We finished up with malfunction clearance drills. Normally these are done earlier but we were worried about the weather and it turned out this was a good thing. Near the end of the day we started getting rain showers. Nothing to big but enough to screw with us.

I could go into a lot more detail on the drills but I feel they are secondary in importance to the way the information is presented. I have heard stories about Larry. Enough to be intimidated before the class. But his way of presenting the information and passing it on to his students is amazing. I am sure it helped that every shooter in the class was pretty well put together. We have all trained together before and some of us have as many as 10+ VSM classes under our belt.

I feel that this was the perfect way to end a year of training. Next year I hope to start taking more advanced classes. In some ways this was almost like a graduation. After speaking with some of the other attendees that I have trained with a lot I think they feel the same way about themselves.

Hopefully the other students will add some of the details I have missed. I will also get some photos up soon.

superr.stu
12-27-11, 10:02
To add in a few of my thoughts from the class.

Day 1
After zeroing LAV had a brief discussion on the importance of being headshot capable out to 100meters. He then proved this with a drill working through various shooting positions from most to least stable. Decreasing the range and time limit with each new position. As a note we limited the range to 50 meters due to conditions on the field, though I think that only increased the expectations.

Following the previous drill we moved over to the less muddy mud hole, where we spent the rest of the class. As Kwelz said Larry didn’t have to spend much time teaching us where the trigger and muzzle are on the gun. BUT he did make it brutally and honestly clear how important an *active* Follow through scan and assess are, and to actually be looking for a next engagement. Armed with the fact that being lazy on this can very well get you killed, Larry and his assistants were on us like hawks whenever someone got lazy.

Pistol transitions are when it all goes to hell. After seeing everyone’s first few pistol shots LAV reached on over and hit the pause button, taking a few minutes to sharpen us up on pistol before moving on. Stressing the importance of pumping the brakes a little when that pistol comes out and making good hits. So after a little command fire, and dry fire we were back to some team drills with pistol transitions, with (at least I think) a fair amount of success.

Day 2
On the second day, the big topic seemed to be shooting on the move. Which I loved, it could be argued that I would rather be moving than standing. Started off with some basic front to back, and a team drill with some time pressure! From there moving into some more complicated moving and weaving, tossing in team drills the whole way. It would be fair to say that even though I think everyone in the class has done shooting on the move at least once before, it would be a stretch to say that everyone is comfortable with it. As such it seems that you can learn almost as much watching other people work through it as you do working through it yourself.

Lastly a few of my personal notes…
As Kwelz said, class seemed to be like drinking from a fire hose, the depth of knowledge available just makes it impossible to catch it all. (bring your note book!) Add to that Larry’s unwavering expectations and delivery of information can make for a situation that only allows you to bring your best. Having a class full of people that are pretty squared away and have shot together before didn’t hurt either.

We briefly covered carbine setup during a water break, and it was interesting to note that about ¾ the class was running damn near the same thing…(clue?)

I also had a chance to ask about eye dominance, shooting from either side with both eyes open, and running a carbine on my left with pistol on the right. (Something I’ve been thinking about doing lately) Then getting to put it into practice doing malfunction clearance drill from either side, and running a few other drill from the opposite shoulder. I thought doing this was going to be a disaster, but after getting a few pointers I probably shot nearly as well on the opposite side as I did regular. (Malfs are a little awkward though)

Lastly Kudos to Sig Dave for being top shooter!

-Stu

Appalachian
12-27-11, 19:44
Couple of additions from my position...

Great set of shooters. Joe Barnsfather has done a lot of training for guys in our AO and it showed. There was nothing new (as we all know fundamentals are just that...fundamental). This is also a testament to the consistency within the VSM regional program. The accuracy standards that we have trained with VSM allowed the class to progress without a whole lot of shot diagnosis or reminders of holdovers. The shooters were as a whole generally able to self-correct if there was a mistake (and they were usually minor mistakes).

The majority of feedback was weapon manipulation related, not accuracy related (aside from the initial pistol accuracy that Kevin and Stu mentioned above). It is a thinking man's endeavor (no shit, I know) but it warrants comment. Mental errors of doing things like forgetting to let the bolt go home on a reload before a drill, having an empty gun going into a drill, reloading into a redi-mag instead of the mag well, having an unstable stance after switching shoulders, or not transitioning to pistol inside point shooting range were errors that appeared during the day.

There were little to no range commands, no "load" or "clear them out" unless it was specific to a drill. It was truly a course for guys that knew which end of the gun the bullets came out of.

For me personally:
Sustain - continue to use range time mainly for pistol shooting; the only time I shot carbine between classes was confirming my zero the day before the LAV class. The old adage about pistol shooters/ carbine shooters is true, pistol skills translate much better than the other way around.

Improve - reduce engagement times; was usually in the middle of the pack during timed drills. Guys were on the carbines faster than me; that balance of speed and accuracy is tough.

Misc. - I gained an appreciation for what the carbine is and where it "fits" in from the perspective of one of the best trainers out there. I got to hear Larry's unvarnished fact-based opinion on some of the popular pistols.

The transition issue that some had at first is a dose of reality. The "I wasn't warmed up" doesn't go too far when it comes to getting on your pistol when taken in the context of CCW in day to day life. Just reinforced the need for running the first drills on range days "cold" and for time.

Good two days of training fo' sho'. Recommend a class with Larry if you have the opportunity.

Sig-Dave
12-28-11, 17:25
Great Class!!
Joe and Barry did a great job over the last 6 months getting everybody prepaired . I was personally concerned that I was going to be the guy to mess the class up! I had switched from my trusty SIG 551 that I had trained with the last 5 months to a Noveske N4 that Joe put together for me (the last AR I owned was a AR180 20 years ago). The AR's magazine and the charging handle (two things the Sig does well) did give me some trouble. I did get the hang of the AR with Larry's and Joe's help. The AR was much lighter than the SIG and easier to use the safety selector. The Aimpoint was much superior than the ACOG on the SIG.

The class drills have been covered well in the previous post , so there is no need for me to add much here. I would like to comment that the quality of the people in the class was a great testament to Joe's training style. We all took instruction well and everybody tried hard to follow any advice given.

Larry's knowledge on firearms is exceptional. I felt quite lucky and had a great time talking to him about SIG rifles.

Operating an AR under pressure for the first time helped me learn a lot about it. Having Larry teaching the class was like adding a turbocharger to my brain and trying to gain as much information about the process as possible. I look forward to the next year of training and I hope we can get Larry back in December again to see how we all have improved.
Thank You! Sig-Dave

Mr. Smith
12-28-11, 17:59
For my part I have work as hard as I can to get the guys in my little part of the VSM program to be the best thy can be.

I have had the great fortune of making good friends as it grows the guys in this class had all but one gotten to train with me as there teacher.

It would be an understatement to say it was important to me that thy do well.

I take great pride in what I do and teaching is no exception.

The class was one of the best classes of the year and I am proud of the guys in this class.

Now for some pics

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/LAV%20Knob%20Creek%20December%202011/IMG_1617.jpg

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/LAV%20Knob%20Creek%20December%202011/IMG_1506.jpg

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/LAV%20Knob%20Creek%20December%202011/IMG_1348.jpg
http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/LAV%20Knob%20Creek%20December%202011/IMG_1306.jpg

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/LAV%20Knob%20Creek%20December%202011/IMG_1247.jpg

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/LAV%20Knob%20Creek%20December%202011/IMG_1378.jpg

Achpamsin
12-28-11, 22:45
I'm the other Stu, aka Sig-Dave's water boy. I'd like to thank Joe for bringing LAV to KY, of course Larry for coming and Barry for the incredible hospitality. Not least I'd like to thank all my class mates, I've learned a lot from you all, sometimes directly and sometimes from just watching. Everybody was prepared and ready for instruction, gear was squared away and minds were open.

I had some trepidation about whether I was ready enough for a class with Larry to avoid being that guy and becoming the subject of Larry's (constructive) wrath. While I had a few issues, thanks to Joe's and Barry's instruction in earlier classes I didn't slow anybody else down. At least once I was unfortunately able to provide some entertainment during my turn to shoot on the move when doing a side to side, diagonal (front to back) weave when Larry dubbed me a regular Fred Astaire for my tortured foot work. It was funny, but I didn't miss the message. I took it to heart when Larry and Joe said that if there is only one thing you can work on during a range trip it should be shooting on the move.

Thanks to my buddy Dave for all the motivation and support. It's got to be a record for how fast you earned top shooter!

Finally, thanks to those in the class that protect and serve, both globally and in our back yard.

Time to work harder, train smarter and apply what I learned.

Stuart

kwelz
12-31-11, 15:56
It really was great shooting with everyone and learning so much LAV.