PDA

View Full Version : Best 1911 magazines?

PLCedeno
12-08-07, 11:36
I have been using Wilson Combat's 8 rounders with minimal issues for years. The 7 round stock Colt's have also worked well. Anyone have a thought regarding Novaks' 1911 mags?

John_Wayne777
12-08-07, 12:47
I'd skip the Novaks. Somebody asked about 1911 magazines during the Hackathorn/Vickers low light course and if I remember correctly the advice given was to stick to Wilson mags, and that the new Wilson "Elite" mags looked promising....

If I am wrong here somebody PLEASE correct me.

PLCedeno
12-08-07, 12:57
I'd skip the Novaks. Somebody asked about 1911 magazines during the Hackathorn/Vickers low light course and if I remember correctly the advice given was to stick to Wilson mags, and that the new Wilson "Elite" mags looked promising....

If I am wrong here somebody PLEASE correct me.

I really appreciate that. I got my gun back from a smith in Az with 3 Novaks. Im having problems with 2 of the 3 mags it came back with. Rather than deal with the hassel of mailing it back i chucked all 3. I loaded up with the two original Colt mags that came with the gun. The Wilsons i will continue to use for classes and range work. You can only imagine the frustration experienced when i got to the range and experienced malfunctions after forking over $1,500.00 in custom work. I cooled down after realizing the gun worked fine with the mags in my range bag. Wilson Combat.

rhino
12-08-07, 12:59
My favorites are CMC Power Mags, followed closely by Wilson 47Ds. I don't have any problems with Power Mags and the only issue I have with Wilson's is that older 47D springs didn't seem to last very long. The newer springs seem a lot stronger and I haven't had to replace any of them.

Sry0fcr
12-08-07, 13:11
The stock Colt's and CMC Shooting Star and Power Mags work great for me.

David Thomas
12-08-07, 13:47
The most durable and reliable mags that I have used so far are the Tripp Research mags. Second choice would be the Wilson 47d mags.
I have not tried the new Wilson Elite mags yet, but they look very promising and appear to share similar features with the Tripp mags that I have.

RD62
12-08-07, 14:42
I too like the Wilson and CMC PowerMags. I haven't had any issues with either and find myself favoring the CMC's because I can get almost two for the price of a Wilson 47D. I would like to try some of the new Wilson's. I saw that KevinB was running some of the new Wilson's in his post on Molle Belts and asked him how they were working and he said so far so good with about 500 rounds through them if I remember correctly. Maybe I'll get a few for Christmas! :D

-RD62

Lumpy196
12-09-07, 20:18
I have used Wilson 8 rounders for as long as I have owned 1911s. They have proven totally reliable. If ANYTHING goes wrong with them, Wilson fixes or replaces them, so as far as Im concerned Im purchasing an eternally reliable magazine.

Wilsons take flak on the internet boards these days as not being the "ultimate." They work for me, and thats all the "ultimate" Ive needed.

Linea_de_Fuego
12-09-07, 20:44
I'm curious about y'all who like the CMC Power mags. Those of you who like them, what pistols are you using?
I have a Colt and they do not drop free and sometimes do not lock back after the last round.

RD62
12-09-07, 20:56
I'm curious about y'all who like the CMC Power mags. Those of you who like them, what pistols are you using?
I have a Colt and they do not drop free and sometimes do not lock back after the last round.

Springfield 5" Gov't Model "Loaded". No problems dropping free and so far no issues with last round hold open.

-RD62

DocGKR
12-09-07, 21:57
http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=34673&an=0&page=0#34673

MattC
12-10-07, 08:40
I have been running CMC Powermags as duty mags in my Springfield TRP for about a year now. I have a little over 3k downrange with that combination. I have no complaints.

Linea_de_Fuego
12-10-07, 14:38
http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=34673&an=0&page=0#34673

Thanks for the link... I have read Hiltons post about measuring the feed lip dimensions. The problem I have with the CMC mags is with new ones. I believe the problem is not with the mag tube or trigger bow but rather with the follower not always engaging the slide release and with the mag catch. I suppose the mag catch could be tuned for the CMC mags but there is no problem with othe mags like Metalform or Checkmate or ACT / Novac.

toddackerman
12-13-07, 16:18
Thanks for the link... I have read Hiltons post about measuring the feed lip dimensions. The problem I have with the CMC mags is with new ones. I believe the problem is not with the mag tube or trigger bow but rather with the follower not always engaging the slide release and with the mag catch. I suppose the mag catch could be tuned for the CMC mags but there is no problem with othe mags like Metalform or Checkmate or ACT / Novac.

See my new thread dated 12/13/07 on Wilson's warranty. I have always been a Wilson 47 user, and now I'm getting all new "Elite Tactical Mags." :)

I might put tripp followers in them, but won't know until they get here next week. I amy also try the Tripp Cobra Mag and a CMC Power Mag with Tripp follower.

toddackerman
12-13-07, 16:19

See my new thread dated 12/13/07 on Wilson's warranty. I have always been a Wilson 47 user, and now I'm getting all new "Elite Tactical Mags." :)

I might put Tripp followers in them, but won't know until they get here next week. I may also try the Tripp Cobra Mag and a CMC Power Mag with Tripp follower.

Rock
12-14-07, 18:07
I use the Wilson mags exclusively and have had zero problems. Never tried the Novaks.

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-15-07, 01:39
Novaks are GTG in my guns (Colts, Springfield). 7 and 8 rounders.

bgold
12-17-07, 17:41
I have been using Wilsons and McCormick Power Mags almost exclusively in my 1911s. I do have a few others that I use when I am running drils and don't want my good mags to hit the ground repeatedly.

Power Mags drop free from the Colts and Springfields I have owned.

Alaskapopo
12-17-07, 23:31
Chip power mags work well. The older Wilsons were ok but feed lips would spread and the springs would wear out constantly when left loaded. I love their new ETM mag it fixed most of the problems with the early mags.
Pat

grinch
12-18-07, 00:41
http://www.10-8performance.com/id17.html

Blake
12-18-07, 07:09
CMC powermags with Tripp package works great. Makes for a good combo. Lots of pressure behind those 7 rd. springs. Of course you are giving up a round. To each his own though.

markm
12-18-07, 07:44
I've had just as many, if not MORE, problems with the Wilson 7 round 1911 mags. Mostly with failures to lock back. The springs are really wimpy in my opinion.

I did buy one of the NOVAKs by ACT MAG, and found it to be a very nice mag. Metal follower with a very strong spring. So far it has run flawlessly.

Robb Jensen
12-18-07, 07:46
I like Wilson 47D or McCormick Power mags w/Tripp Research 7 round conversion kits installed in them.

I want to pick up some of the Wilson Elite mags to try out.

Alaskapopo
12-18-07, 14:09
I've had just as many, if not MORE, problems with the Wilson 7 round 1911 mags. Mostly with failures to lock back. The springs are really wimpy in my opinion.

I did buy one of the NOVAKs by ACT MAG, and found it to be a very nice mag. Metal follower with a very strong spring. So far it has run flawlessly.

The problem with the ACT mags is the feed lips crack very early in life. I had 6 mags and 5 developed cracks in just 6 months of use.
Here is a picture.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/ACtmag.jpg

markm
12-18-07, 14:30
The problem with the ACT mags is the feed lips crack very early in life. I had 6 mags and 5 developed cracks in just 6 months of use.
Here is a picture.

I'll keep an eye out for that. I don't use my 1911s for carry anyway, but that's good to know. Thanks.

03humpalot
12-18-07, 14:53
Magazines like everything else are expendable items,that being said i have been using Wilson 47d's for years.

I recently picked up some of the new ETM magazines from Wilson and have been impressed so far. I did a short review for Lightfighter and will post it here when i can get on their site (anyone else not able to access it, looks like their site is down).

toddackerman
12-18-07, 18:52
.......... I don't use my 1911s for carry anyway......... Thanks.

Blasphemy! :)

knguye11
12-19-07, 17:18
I would have to go with Trip Research.