PDA

View Full Version : FD and Guns

VolFF93
12-27-11, 14:40
My apologies if this is in the wrong area or has been discussed before. I'm curious to see what the general attitude of fire departments towards firearms. I ask because I belong to a FD as a resident firefighter. My particular department allows us to keep firearms on their property but they must be unloaded inside a locked container and have a trigger/action lock. Any other FFs here willing to share their departments gun policies?

11B101ABN
12-28-11, 16:00
What are you asking for specifically? Policy on carrying while responding? Or just having them on the property?

ST911
12-28-11, 17:21
Career services that are part of governmental subdivisions tend to have risk-management based no-gun rules. Some operate under DADT rules for vehicles parked outside.

I know a number of volunteer services that don't mind show and tell sessions at the house, and even allow folks to work on guns in the bay workbenches if done discreetly. During hunting season, one lets members hang and process their deer in the empty bays if they clean up after themselves.

Lots of gun enthusiasts in the fire service. The responses you get are going to vary widely though. Too much to likely be useful.