PDA

View Full Version : Sell my S&W 686 6"?

acaixguard
12-27-11, 20:26
I've had a S&W 686-5 .357 mag revolver with a 6" barrel, in stainless steel, for over 10 years now. It's in great condition. Fired probably only about 500 or so rounds. It's a fun gun to take out. Problem is, I rarely end up doing that anymore. I haven't shot it in over 7 years. Anytime I do get to go to the range (which isn't as much as I used to, since I have 2 young toddlers to raise), I'd rather spend the time practicing on guns I'm more likely to use for a SHTF situation.

Is there any real reason I should keep this gun in the long run? The only guns I really practice on lately are my G19, 1911, and M4. Plus I figure, if I sold this, the money could be well used for other things that would be more useful to what I actually practice with (on my list of things to save for the next 2 years are a good steel target, training classes, another Glock 9mm to back up my primary G19, and of course, ammo). I already cleaned out my gun safe of some other guns I will probably never shoot again. I'd rather have guns that actually serve a functional purpose for myself than to just have safe queens collecting dust (although I do have one "collector" gun I will never part with).

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

ucrt
12-27-11, 21:31

If you're interested, this THREAD (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=91694&highlight=sp101) about whether or not to keep an SP101 is about like yours.

Personally, to me, the 686 is like a "staple" of handguns. 6" barrel is a con for all around use but not too bad. It is still very desireable ($500+), shoots a powerful cartridge, lots of accessories, good size, reliable, etc.

I'd keep it. It would be great to teeth those toddlers on 38 target loads in a few years.

Like I stated in the Thread mentioned above - "The neat things about guns is they don't "spoil"."

But maybe it's just me...

luckybychoice
12-27-11, 21:34
me and my S&W model 10,a great gun but i don't shoot it much,until my wife asked me to go shooting one day.I brought the Model 10 for her to shoot,she loves it!You said you have a couple toddlers,well in about 10 years(or less) they will be asking Dad to go shooting and a 686 with .38s will be a pretty good start.I only ever sold one gun off and i wish i had it back.

Now at the range i shoot my guns and my wife shoots her gun.

DocH
12-27-11, 22:35
Because you don't shoot it anymore doesn't mean you should part with it unless you're strapped for cash. There will likely come a time when it cannot be replaced with another one.
I have always felt that it was prudent to have a few firearms,both long guns and handguns,that are not dependant on detachable magazines for operation.
To me,keeping it would be the most sensible decision.I have kept several of my service revolvers from my police days,they don't get shot much but I think it's smart to keep them along with a small supply of modern ammo.

acaixguard
12-27-11, 22:36
Thanks for the suggestions. Good point about letting my girls shoot .38's out of the 686...I hadn't even thought of that. Is the 686 in 6" a bit heavy for most children (especially girls)?

DocH
12-27-11, 22:49
It depends on their age,size,and hand strength but they will grow into it. I believe that double action revolvers are the best way for a beginner to learn trigger control.
Plus,revolvers are still cool and preferable for some uses.

mkmckinley
12-27-11, 22:50
Keep it. I recently sold a nice 586 for the same reason you're considering and now I wish I'd kept it.

DocH
12-27-11, 22:55
mckinley.I feel your pain. One of the revolvers I carried in the late eighties was a custom tuned 586.So smooth and sweet,but I sold it in a moment of lust for something else. It should have been the primary one that I kept. The regret is unrelenting.:(

ikor
12-28-11, 01:46
The 686 is a very nice revolver. While it might cost you a few bucks, you can IIRC still have S&W install a 4in barrel and then resell the old 6in. to get some of that back. You might also consider doing a 'even-up' trade for a like condition 4in. I sold my 6in but kept the 4in...now I wish I had the 6in back as well.

jamesbern
12-28-11, 09:25
I had the 686 2.5" snub nose. Really nice gun, but too big and heavy for daily. I really like revolvers, but always end up selling them for some reason shortly after. I think I prefer to shoot semi's more.

If it doesn't mean anything to you and you want something else then by all means sell it. If you're not hurting for cash then keep it in the safe. You never know when the urge will strike you to take it to the range.

Kevin P
12-28-11, 12:53
Keep it! I had a 686 with a 4 inch barrel and regret selling. I also agree that it is a good gun to teach the kids on with 38special loads.

m4brian
12-28-11, 14:46
DON'T sell it. I got rid of a Highway Patrolman several years ago to get a CZ 75B .40. The CZ is FINE, but I really MISS my 357. No... I was not shooting it much, but I should have kept it JUST for the occasional target shooting, sentimentality, etc, etc.

An L frame is a GOOD GUN. Keep it.

REDinFL
01-06-12, 08:45
Upon seeing the header, before even opening the thread, the question that popped into my head was "why'?

It's something to put away if you don't intend to use it, keep lubed, and ready for SHTF, since you mention that as a criterion. In the very long run, you will have to go back to it in that situation. When the dust settles, you'll be reloading. I'd rather reload revolver brass than autoloader brass in most cases, considering the likely circumstances. Get a Lee Classic loader for the real long term SHTF or aftermath purposes.

In the meanwhile, in the real world, the money you get out of that will be dissipated so fast it'll make your head spin and, you won't even see where it went.

tpd223
01-06-12, 21:32
Medium frame .357s are very useful guns.

I'd get snap caps and dry fire the crap out of the gun. Almost no one does as much dry fire as they should.

Alaskapopo
01-11-12, 02:11
I've had a S&W 686-5 .357 mag revolver with a 6" barrel, in stainless steel, for over 10 years now. It's in great condition. Fired probably only about 500 or so rounds. It's a fun gun to take out. Problem is, I rarely end up doing that anymore. I haven't shot it in over 7 years. Anytime I do get to go to the range (which isn't as much as I used to, since I have 2 young toddlers to raise), I'd rather spend the time practicing on guns I'm more likely to use for a SHTF situation.

Is there any real reason I should keep this gun in the long run? The only guns I really practice on lately are my G19, 1911, and M4. Plus I figure, if I sold this, the money could be well used for other things that would be more useful to what I actually practice with (on my list of things to save for the next 2 years are a good steel target, training classes, another Glock 9mm to back up my primary G19, and of course, ammo). I already cleaned out my gun safe of some other guns I will probably never shoot again. I'd rather have guns that actually serve a functional purpose for myself than to just have safe queens collecting dust (although I do have one "collector" gun I will never part with).

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Sell it to me. Love those guns.
In all seriousness sometimes its fun to go out to the range and just plink with different guns in the collection. Not train or work just relax and plink. I am guilty of not doing this enough myself. I am usually working with my work guns or my competition guns working on building certain skills. But sometimes its just nice to sit back and relax and shoot something for the fun of it like your 686. Its a piece of history. I would put a red dot on that 686 like a Aimpoint R1 (if I could find one) and use it as a target or hunting revolver.
Pat