PDA

View Full Version : Educate me on mounts please

TacticalSledgehammer
12-27-11, 20:50
I just got a EOTech from my lovely wife for Christmas. I see guys with mounts from larue, gg&g, etc. Is the standard mount on it not good enough or stable?

LTMattyL
12-27-11, 20:59
What model do you have?

nickdrak
12-27-11, 21:55
What model do you have?

^This.

Some of the newer models (EXPS) come with an integral riser mount so you wont need any type of aftermarket mount.

Some of the older designs like the 500 series and the initial XPS models bolt directly to the receiver and may benefit from a QD mount such as the LaRue riser depending on your requirements.

patriot_man
12-27-11, 22:03
There are a couple reasons I would see as why people would want to use a mount on an Eotech.

To raise the sight to a 1/3 co witness (if your sight does not have the built in riser) (Larue)
Adding a Quick Detach system to your Eotech (Larue & GG&G)
To keep a magnifier or NVG and your Eotech together in one package (Larue)
Allows space for the optic to hover over the delta ring (Larue)

TacticalSledgehammer
12-27-11, 22:05
I've got the 512. It was made in August of this year. So far I really like it.

mkmckinley
12-27-11, 22:15
To raise the sight to a 1/3 co witness (if your sight does not have the built in riser) (Larue)

Mainly this. The 512 factory mount puts it at a full cowitness. Most guys like a lower 1/3.

kmrtnsn
12-27-11, 22:18
Mainly this. The 512 factory mount puts it at a full cowitness. Most guys like a lower 1/3.

The remove and return to zero is another noce aspect of a quality QD mount, LaRue and ADE.

TacticalSledgehammer
12-27-11, 22:18
Okay thanks for the info guys. I'm gonna do a better job sighting it in this week.

nickdrak
12-27-11, 23:19
I highly recommend running lithium AA's in any 500 series Eotech. Longer battery life. Impervious to temperature, and won't leak inside of the battery box.

TacticalSledgehammer
12-28-11, 06:12
I'll have to look for some of those batteries. Thanks for the recommendation.

jamesbern
12-28-11, 09:11
You don't need a mount for the 512 like others have said, but if you want quick release and the lower 1/3rd cowitness then you want a mount like a LaRue.

nickdrak
12-28-11, 09:59
I'll have to look for some of those batteries. Thanks for the recommendation.

They sell them @ Walgreens. They are the silver and blue labeled Energizers.

TurretGunner
12-28-11, 10:36
As someone who has spent thousands in Larue products, I would go with a Bobro mount before Mark Larues. Much better design and easier to use/takeoff.

NVM: looks like they dont offer a EO Mount at this time.

nickdrak
12-28-11, 16:44
I have run my Eotechs on a LaRue LT-110 since around 2005 and they are an outstanding mount.

polydeuces
12-28-11, 19:12
As someone who has spent thousands in Larue products, I would go with a Bobro mount before Mark Larues. Much better design and easier to use/takeoff.

Why so? Just asking - I have no experience with Bobro, but find it difficult to imagine something even more simple solid and reliable than a Larue QD. And hold it's zero to boot.

OP - Main reason for Larue QD mount is return to zero, not to mention correct co-witness height - it's a total pain in the arse having to re-zero every time you take off or swap optics. Most of us don't have a range in the backyard, but even if you did, still an involved process.
Having mounts allowing to switch between, say, red-dot and scope while holding zero is pretty ****ing awesome, and worth every penny.

TurretGunner
12-28-11, 19:18
Why so? Just asking - I have no experience with Bobro, but find it difficult to imagine something even more simple solid and reliable than a Larue QD. And hold it's zero to boot.

OP - Main reason for Larue QD mount is return to zero, not to mention correct co-witness height - it's a total pain in the arse having to re-zero every time you take off or swap optics. Most of us don't have a range in the backyard, but even if you did, still an involved process.
Having mounts allowing to switch between, say, red-dot and scope while holding zero is pretty ****ing awesome, and worth every penny.

Larue was the first real RTZ mount but it has some cons. One is the required wrench to make torque adjustments. The fact that it can mar the shit out of your rails and can be a real PITA to lock in and remove sometimes. Bobro mount fixes all these problems and IMO is a much better product. I also perfer ADM's lever system to Larues.

polydeuces
12-28-11, 19:41
Thanks -will check it out.

polydeuces
12-28-11, 19:53
Checked it out ...thanks.
http://www.bobroengineering.com/browse/category/scopemounts/
Very interesting, now I must give it a ride. This could get expensive....:shout:

kmrtnsn
12-28-11, 20:00
I have run my Eotechs on a LaRue LT-110 since around 2005 and they are an outstanding mount.

I do the same on my work rifle.

nickdrak
12-28-11, 20:17
Larue was the first real RTZ mount but it has some cons. One is the required wrench to make torque adjustments. The fact that it can mar the shit out of your rails and can be a real PITA to lock in and remove sometimes. Bobro mount fixes all these problems and IMO is a much better product. I also perfer ADM's lever system to Larues.

And how is this relevant to this thread? Bobro makes good stuff, but they do not make a mount for an Eotech. "mar the shit out of your rails"? Seriously??? If your LaRue mount is mounted in a manner that damages your rail it is either user/installer error, or your rails are made out of cottage cheese.

TurretGunner
12-28-11, 21:02
And how is this relevant to this thread? Bobro makes good stuff, but they do not make a mount for an Eotech. "mar the shit out of your rails"? Seriously??? If your LaRue mount is mounted in a manner that damages your rail it is either user/installer error, or your rails are made out of cottage cheese.

If you read above I said that they don't make a EO mount so ignore that. He asked about the mounts so i answered.

Your rails get mashed up when your at the range and you left a little wrench at home and cant adjust it. The way the sliding levers work sometimes you have to use a screwdriver for leverage to get the mount off its its not properly adjusted. I would rather have a mount where It automatically adjusts itself.

kmrtnsn
12-28-11, 23:50
If you read above I said that they don't make a EO mount so ignore that. He asked about the mounts so i answered.

Your rails get mashed up when your at the range and you left a little wrench at home and cant adjust it. The way the sliding levers work sometimes you have to use a screwdriver for leverage to get the mount off its its not properly adjusted. I would rather have a mount where It automatically adjusts itself.

Strange, I have LaRue rails on four different rifles and have not experienced these problems with any of them.

HeavyDuty
12-29-11, 07:59
I prefer absolute cowitness with EOTechs and have used the GG&G QD twice no - one on my old 511 and another on my current XPS. I've never had any issues with the GG&G QD.

That said, if I were looking for lower 1/3 I would probably go with the ADM - I've had good luck with their Aimpoint mounts.

TurretGunner
12-29-11, 08:01
Strange, I have LaRue rails on four different rifles and have not experienced these problems with any of them.

Strangley with tens of thousands of Larue mounts out there, your 4 might not be exactly a statistical sample size worth relying on.

Simple fact is Bobro is a better product that requires no user adjustment. Its completley auto indexing with no tools or user adjustment required. It has easier lever system and is completley RTZ. That alone makes it a superior product. The only con is the price is usualy around $30-$50 more than a comparible Larue or ADM. If I am going to spent $200 on a mount, then spending an extra $30 for a better product is not exactly material.

TacticalSledgehammer
12-29-11, 12:07
I think I'm gonna keep my original EOTech mount. If I ever put a magnifier on it I may pickup a mount then.