PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with your concealed weapon when you have to use a public restroom?

mhanna91
12-28-11, 00:43
This may seem silly, and I would like to see this thread be lighthearted in nature, but this is a serious question.

I do everything I can to avoid public restrooms, but sometimes it is the only option. One of the wierdest feelings associated with concealed carry, for me, is what to do with my weapon while using a public restroom. I obviously go for a stall instead of a urinal, but what about after you get in there? Do you un-holster and set the gun on the toilet tank or floor? I feel like I would need to un-holster because I carry a full-sized service pistol and 2 spare mags, which is rather heavy. Or do you leave it holstered for the sake of not having to handle the gun and not worrying about forgetting it in the restroom. I read a thread a while back about someone forgetting their gun in the restroom. Below is a link to a story to a man who somehow fumbled his Kahr .40 in the bathroom and shot a toilet, which goes to show that there are absolutely lessons to be learned on this topic.

http://jonathanturley.org/2009/01/19/man-v-toilet-utah-man-shoots-toilet-and-injures-both-himself-and-nearby-woman-at-carls-jr-restaurant/

The reason I am asking is because I have never seen or heard a discussion on this topic.

So what do you do when you have to use a public restroom while you are concealed carrying?

SteveL
12-28-11, 00:55
I leave my gun in the holster.

glocktogo
12-28-11, 00:56
I either fold it into my pants so it can't be seen, or place it inside my pants. I also try to keep my pants pulled up to knee level. I never leave it on a surface in the stall, that's a good way to forget it. NEVER hang it on a hook by the trigger guard!

gun71530
12-28-11, 01:01
I keep it in my holster.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

DemonRat
12-28-11, 01:14
I didn't realize that most of the time I am out I use a public restroom. I had asked my friend what he does and he just leaves the handgun in the holster but doesn't drop his pants to his ankles. He drops them to just above the knees where he can keep his firearm off the ground and out of the eyes of the person in the next stall. So I have been "practicing" this as I use public restrooms. I think it will take time to get used to cause I don't have the weight of the firearm. But it seems plausible to do.

nickdrak
12-28-11, 01:17
I place it in my bannana hammock in-between my knees while sitting on the shitter.

skyugo
12-28-11, 02:14
unclip holster from belt, tuck between my pants and my leg. basically hold the grip of the gun even with the top of my pants to conceal on the way to the floor, then tuck the pants over the top. flawless.

might not work with girl jeans, but then neither do IWB holsters.

edit-this is all accomplished without removing the firearm from the holster. unholstering in public is something i avoid.

duece71
12-28-11, 05:38
This is a good thread. I am sure there could be some other situations which would require similar thinking. Thank you for posting.

Littlelebowski
12-28-11, 06:51
AIWB makes this so much easier.

titanse05
12-28-11, 07:02
I didn't realize that most of the time I am out I use a public restroom. I had asked my friend what he does and he just leaves the handgun in the holster but doesn't drop his pants to his ankles. He drops them to just above the knees where he can keep his firearm off the ground and out of the eyes of the person in the next stall.I carry a commander length 1911 IWB and have used this method without a problem. It just seemed natural to me not to need to put my pants around my ankles.....

markm
12-28-11, 07:05
I'll set it down on something if possible. There is ZERO chance of me leaving it behind. If I were that abscent minded, I'd not carry at all.

dougwg
12-28-11, 08:02
teeth

glockeyed
12-28-11, 08:09
loosen my belt enough to get the pants off my ass, and keep tension on the belt/pants with my knees.

markm
12-28-11, 08:12
You could leave it lay on the sink counter whilest you dropith the duece. :confused:

yhmspecter
12-28-11, 08:17
I either keep my pants knee level, or place it on the back of the toilet.. There is NO chance I would forget my pistol, we carry for a reason...We need to be aware of our weapon at all times.

Jason Falla
12-28-11, 08:25
I've always been a proponent of the 7 P's and make sure that I take care of this issue during morning routine.

However, I have been caught out on the odd occasion and this is my plan.

I always attempt to occupy the end stall and ideally the disabled one. This provides more room, extra stand-off and limits the attack direction of the opportunist thief reaching into your pants and steeling your wallet or gun while you have your pants down!

If I am on-duty, I remain on comms and detach my radio from my pants and hold onto it.

If I have selected a large stall, I leave my gun in place in the holster so long as it is out of hands reach. I remain vigilant for anyone approaching the stall or movements inside the restroom.

Worst case, I unsnap the holster and place it inside my plants/underwear and like others ensure it doesn't touch the floor!

I always place my wallet, knife inside also when off-duty and carrying so that I don't look like a target.

I knew of a low-level gang in AS that would specifically target individuals in stalls in an attempt to steel wallets. It would be rather embracing to be caught with your pants down and loose you weapon or wallet!

Cheers.

markm
12-28-11, 08:26
There is NO chance I would forget my pistol, we carry for a reason...We need to be aware of our weapon at all times.

I agree. There's been a couple of goofy incidents though. Some guy... a fed of some sort discharged his pistol in a museum her in AZ when he was in the stall.

And I think there was a guy who shot himself in a bathroom recently..

Voodoo_Man
12-28-11, 08:49
Never thought about it...I usually take it out and put it on top of the TP device, but that's more for quick access than anything...I ain't going out like Travolta in Pulp Fiction.

jamesbern
12-28-11, 09:02
I just leave it in the holster and make sure it is riding correctly so as to not fall out.

jmlshooter
12-28-11, 09:11
Toilet.

Glock Perfection.

mhanna91
12-28-11, 10:24
Thanks for the honesty guys. I will now share my routine. First, I go for a handicap stall or a corner stall. I always un-holster and set the gun down. I always try to put it on the toilet paper box or the toilet tank. If there is no TP box or toilet tank, I will set it on the floor:eek:. If I have to resort to the floor (only happened once I think) I put it in the back corner of the stall to make the gun less visible from the outside, and because this is usually a few feet away from the toilet.

jamesbern
12-28-11, 10:28
I'd never put my firearm on a public restroom floor especially the mens room. You know how much I pee on that floor? :D

duece71
12-28-11, 10:34
I don't have my CC yet, but when I am on the can I try to protect my Blackberry (its for work) which sits on my belt. I always take it off my belt and lay it in the crotch of my pants, I doubt I would ever forget it if its in the crotch.....;)

Six Feet Under
12-28-11, 10:42
I either leave mine in the holster or pocket (depending on what I'm carrying), or if I can't do that for some reason, I put it in the sink. I NEVER go to the bathroom without washing my hands, so it would be impossible for me to forget the gun and leave it there.

That, and I always do the idiot check and feel my pockets to make sure my phone or wallet didn't fall out without me knowing. This includes feeling for my gun.

mhanna91
12-28-11, 10:44
I'd never put my firearm on a public restroom floor especially the mens room. You know how much I pee on that floor? :D

I'm not saying it was right, but it only happened once. And it was a Macy's restroom that appeared to be freshly cleaned. I wouldn't think about putting my gun on the floor in a Wal-Mart or a McDonald's.:blink:

jtc556
12-28-11, 14:43
I would never take my pistol out of my holster while in the seated position in a public restroom. I drop my pants just past my knees and button the waist. That way I can keep tension on my pistol with my legs. Maybe a how to video would be in order. :stop:

Palmguy
12-28-11, 14:57
I try to get the big stall if possible. Remove holster + gun from belt and put in pants.

That said, I do make an effort to take care of this particular type of business in the comfort and privacy of my home :)

kartoffel
12-28-11, 14:58
This is one of many reasons why I don't like pooping in public restrooms. But if I absolutely have to take the Browns to the Super Bowl, my gun gets folded/tucked inside my pants. Anybody peeking underneath the stall will see pants around my ankles and nothing else.

1oldgrunt
12-28-11, 18:06
Just another reason the often overlooked shoulder holster seems the choice!!
If I'm travelling a bunch either shoulder holster or off body carry ala hand held portfolio....If I have to I leave it ( the portfolio), with my wife while I take care on my personal business.

Traveshamockery
12-28-11, 19:50
I keep the gun in the holster, and lower my pants to just below my knees. I take a wide stance and hold the pants and gun up with it, knees pressed outward. If I need a rear, I grab the pants with my hand to hold it in place.

I'm not the kind to let my pants touch the floor of a public restroom any more than necessary, and I don't touch my gun in public. This works for me.

Axcelea
12-29-11, 11:38
I am one who with the normal full load out carries the main at 4-4:30 and double mag pouch at something like 7:30 and BUG in front left pocket. Main holster and mag pouch have offset wings and soft loops with the BUG in a pocket holster. I mention this to best describe my personal situation that I need to meet as those who carry differently may not be best met with doing what I do.

With that set up it is pretty easy to just just rotate inward at the inside/back of the heels letting the pants and legs block view and access to someone from the outside where only something more extreme angles like being directly behind will see and have access. Without pressure holding them in place the mag pouch and holster can also slide along and inward as well if needed but will need more repositioning afterword. The BUG of course is simply making sure that it is not sticking out of the pocket after pants being dropped.

Other than that there are things like making sure no one is/was hanging around inside or outside the bathroom where it is better to go when no one is in or around especially groups of loiterers. Take the most secure stall. etc.

1slow
12-29-11, 12:03
Consider how you will use it if a thug kicks the door in, or reaches to grab your leg etc..under the partition.
Do you really want it on the toilet or paper holder.
In holster in pants works, fold so concealed but can be drawn. If needed wrap hand around it in firing grip in holster.

streck
12-29-11, 12:19
If needed wrap hand around it in firing grip in holster.

Just don't accidentally wipe with that hand....:neo:

I'm with the take the handicapped stall and shroud the gun in the holster crowd.

Moltke
12-29-11, 12:54
Only on this forum would there be so many serious answers to this question. Thank you OP for initiating.

My holster is the Galco Side Snap Scabbard one and I take it on and off quite easily, usually setting it on the toilet paper holder or back of the toilet. I chose it because I have to constantly take it on and off.

If a thug breaks into my stall mid-dump, he might get the drop on me but I'm going to poop on him.

jc75754
12-29-11, 13:10
I do as many already suggested by finding the larger stall and then remove the gun and holster and place them in my pants so it cannot be seen but i also keep my pant waist about at my knees. for number 1 just stall and unzip.

CLHC
12-29-11, 18:05
Interesting thread going on here. Personally, I never use public restrooms to do a "bowel movement" other than to urinate.

luckybychoice
12-29-11, 18:28
generally i will remove the G26 and put it in a pocket of my jacket if i'm wearing one,or on the TP dispenser,or just hold it in my hand or rest it on my knee,seems my IWB always flips out and snarls up with my belt,i need a stiffer belt for sure.The Fobus double mag pouch keeps the mags nice and secure.

ElyasWolff
12-29-11, 21:42
This is how I got a free mag and ammo. If someone leaves their gun in the head at work I unload it and keep the mag and ammo. No need to rat them out, they learn.

Dmaynor
12-29-11, 22:02
I like to sit on the toilet holding a pistol in each hand like Yosemite Sam. For this reason I also conceal carry a cowboy hat and a fake red beard to complete the outfit. If a bad guy...or a wascally rabbit breaks in in me I figured the surprise will be enough to keep them at bay. If that doesn't work I also eat a lot of chili...

gringop
12-30-11, 18:09
Only lower the pants enough to rotate them so the gun and holster lays on my knee while sitting. I can hook up the belt and spread my knees to keep tension if I need to hold the pants up a bit when finishing up. It has worked great for 14 years of carrying and crapping.

You can and should practice all this stuff at home.

Gringop

hickuleas
12-30-11, 18:31
This has been an interesting read. I try to avoid public restrooms not much of a fan of public pooping. But a ankle holster would work for me.

SteveS
12-30-11, 21:32
I just do a #1 or a #2 and get on with my day.

Univibe
12-31-11, 17:47
My .45, I put it quietly on top the toilet tank or the toilet paper holder.

Chuc
12-31-11, 18:56
Avoid public restrooms altogether and take care of business beforehand. If no other choice exists for the unplanned crap, take the corner stall and be vigilant. I leave mine in the holster and up as high as I can. One thing I don't think most people take into account is the retention level of Kydex holsters. It is very difficult if not impossible to draw from a Kydex holster that is not secured around your waist in a belt. I use a Raven and Kaluban and cannot draw without support of the weak hand to hold on to the holster. Anyone ever practiced this manuver?

Wiggity
12-31-11, 19:57
When pooping, I usually remove the pistol from the holster then remove the ammunition from the pistol. After this is complete, I do "pew pew" dry fire drills in the stall until I am ready to pinch it off.

When I get to the point where I need to pinch it off, I synchronize the squeeze of the trigger with the squeeze of the sphincter. If all goes well and my calculations are correct, the trigger will break and the turd will hit the water simultaneously.

:D

jnc36rcpd
12-31-11, 23:53
I try to use the disabled stall. I unsnap by Blade-Tech IWB and tuck it behind the support rail. It's out of sight from people outside the stall and is fairly accessible.

I use the bathroom before leaving the house, but one needs public restrooms when north of Highway 50.

SmokeJumper
01-01-12, 01:16
Always try to go for a stall, preferably an end/handicap one with more room as most stated. Leave it in the holster, never let it or pants touch the floor. Worse case, it goes in a cargo pocket or in my pants while in sit mode if needed. I try to avoid the urinals, saw a dude get smashed into one once and it was not pretty. Always try to keep good situational awareness due to the confined space.

blouzbee
01-02-12, 16:39
i never thought about this. good advice in this thread.

KalashniKEV
01-02-12, 16:53
I hold it in my strong hand in case of ambush and wipe weak hand.

If it's a deuce-and-a-half I will transition magazines to one of the 33rnd Glock mags I keep in my dual calf rigs.

I HATE shooting weak hand.

SHIVAN
01-02-12, 16:59
I rebuckle my belt, when I assume the throne. It sits in the holster just like it was around my waist, and is tight enough to draw, if necessary. See Jason Falla's comments about not going "white" while in the stall.

scottryan
01-02-12, 20:30
I pull my pants all the way down and hide the gun in my pants.

Not pulling your pants all the way down is abnormal and attracts attention from the person in the stall next to you and makes you look like a weirdo.

You must conceal the gun while pooping as people can see in the crack between the stall walls and door. People look through there all the time to see if the stall is occupied.

You always must use the handicapped stall, even if not carrying.

It has handles on the stall walls for power squeezing.

35percent
01-02-12, 23:47
I pull my pants all the way down and hide the gun in my pants.

Not pulling your pants all the way down is abnormal and attracts attention from the person in the stall next to you and makes you look like a weirdo.

When was the last time you looked under a stall to see if the dude had his pants dropped all the way down? If you have ever done that you might be the weirdo.

AIWB is awesome because at urinals it's concealed and if you're in a stall just keep your pants at knee level or flip your gun into your pants.

skyugo
01-03-12, 00:32
When was the last time you looked under a stall to see if the dude had his pants dropped all the way down? If you have ever done that you might be the weirdo.

i usually bang on the door if i see anything remotely abnormal in an adjacent stall. :mad:

BigNog
01-03-12, 00:49
Here in VA I just use the urinal anyways, never been too concerned about it.

Javelin
01-03-12, 01:59
Underwear hammock for the win!

zodtgr8
01-03-12, 23:04
I always attempt to occupy the end stall and ideally the disabled one.

This....

I usually take it out and put it on top of the TP device
... and this

I can count the number of times I've had to crap in a public restroom while carrying on just one hand, but my standardized practice is as follows:
In a building with more than just one restroom site, proceed to the one least likely to be used by the general public (back of the building, or top floor for multi-level complexes). This gives you a bit of privacy and also means that the bathroom with less foot-traffic will also be just a wee bit more sanitary.
I then head to the biggest available stall, quietly unholster, place my firearm on the toilet paper dispenser and get to business.

Smokecloud
01-04-12, 10:05
ankle holster, glock 27, cured all those problems. I used to carry p220 sig on the hip, always afraid to reach up to get something off of the shelf at a store, always have to leave a jacket on, etc. There are a lot of places, you can avoid the big restrooms also, look a little further, there is usually a small private one somewhere. I never lose contact with my firearm, if carrying it in a belt holster, slide it back some and fold it in to rest in the center of my pants while they are partially down. Of course, trying to have your "business" done prior to going out on the town reduces the chance of dealing with this.

svtpwnz
01-04-12, 10:21
I always try NOT to poo in a public restroom, but if I have to, I take my CCW off with it in the holster and set it on the tank lid or TP holder.:bad:

ST911
01-04-12, 23:28
I used to carry p220 sig on the hip, always afraid to reach up to get something off of the shelf at a store, always have to leave a jacket on, etc.

Minor tweaks to your wardrobe cure this.

Try a tall size in your shirts/sweaters.

DUNDEM
01-05-12, 08:54
Stays in the holster. No one should be looking under my stall...lol.

ST911
01-05-12, 10:02
People peer in stalls all the time. I wouldn't set my gun out anywhere it's in view. Nor would I set it in any place where it could fall to the floor.

DocGKR
01-05-12, 13:38
Reasonable options include:

Keep it in holster
Inside the crotch area of dropped trousers
Offside armpit clamped between upper arm and chest
In hand with finger off trigger and pointed in safe direction

NEVER on the floor, sink, TP holder, toilet tank, or any hooks...

Ricardus
01-05-12, 14:14
When pooping, I usually remove the pistol from the holster then remove the ammunition from the pistol. After this is complete, I do "pew pew" dry fire drills in the stall until I am ready to pinch it off.

When I get to the point where I need to pinch it off, I synchronize the squeeze of the trigger with the squeeze of the sphincter. If all goes well and my calculations are correct, the trigger will break and the turd will hit the water simultaneously.

:D

If peeing, just keep both barrels pointed in a safe direction!:laugh:

KTR03
01-06-12, 10:16
unclip holster and stick between my ankles in my undies. Also try and use the handicap stall. I don't think puting the gun on the toilet tank or the TP dispenser is a good idea. 1) You could forget it. Ask the Seattle police chief/now drug czar. 2) If someone did kick in the door, or the lights went out... you would be caught with your pants down (sorry), unable to reach the gun.

The Fish
01-08-12, 17:37
The OP mentions avoiding using a urinal.
What is the the problem about using a urinal?
I do it all he time.
That's for peeing only of course!:D

PaulL
01-08-12, 20:10
+1 on leaving it holstered on the belt. I had the lights go out once in a public bathroom mid-wipe. I would NOT want to be gun-less in that situation, nor would I want to simply have to find the thing in the dark.

I would also suggest not doing a press check in the public bathroom. I heard distinct handgun manipulation sounds once, followed by kydex holstering sounds, followed by a guy in a shoot-me-first vest walking out of of the stall. He didn't wash his hands, either. Don't be dumbass press-checky-unnecessary-weapon-handling-poopy-hands guy.

One more thing - carry a small flashlight. I used mine to check for a clean wipe on the aforementioned lights-out incident.

I'm kind of sensitive to dairy, so I have above-average time logged in the public pooper.

mhanna91
01-09-12, 14:24
The OP mentions avoiding using a urinal.
What is the the problem about using a urinal?
I do it all he time.
That's for peeing only of course!:D

For the way I carry it is just not practical. I use a 1.5" horsehide gun belt with a plastic stiffener in it from the Beltman. This carries my gear very well, but if I were to un-buckle my belt while standing, everything would sag to where it pulls my pants down. Same thing for sitting down as well. I have been trying (at home) the method of leaving the belt buckled and use outward pressure of the legs to keep everything up off the floor, but it feels like trying to hold up a boat anchor.

ETA: Standing at a urinal would be doable if I were carrying a J-frame only, but I don't.

TAZ
01-09-12, 17:02
Going #1 is not an issue. Unzip do the deed and move on with life. I've never felt the need to undo the belt when peeing. Going #2 I loosen the belt enough to get the pants off my fat butt and keep them above the knee with the legs spread to keep tension on the belt and hold things where I want them. If I'm in a busy restroom with nosy neighbors or lots of people peering for empty stalls I just fold my undies over the gun and mags. I must admit that in the 10+ years of carrying ive only had to go poop once using this method so YMMV.

I am NOT a fan of taking the gun off or out of the holster and placing it off body in a public place. IMO that's just asking for trouble. All you have to do is be out of sorts just once and bad things happen.

Wiggity
01-09-12, 17:21
For the way I carry it is just not practical. I use a 1.5" horsehide gun belt with a plastic stiffener in it from the Beltman. This carries my gear very well, but if I were to un-buckle my belt while standing, everything would sag to where it pulls my pants down. Same thing for sitting down as well. I have been trying (at home) the method of leaving the belt buckled and use outward pressure of the legs to keep everything up off the floor, but it feels like trying to hold up a boat anchor.

ETA: Standing at a urinal would be doable if I were carrying a J-frame only, but I don't.

That's why you have a zipper/easy access flap.

mashed68
01-09-12, 22:24
I keep it in my pocket where it belongs. PM9's are a wonderfull thing.

PureBS90
01-10-12, 21:50
Carry your pistol at the 3-4 o'clock position on your hip and just keep the inside part of your wrist pressed against your pistol. This enables you to still aim down your one eyed snake's iron sights and keep your pistol secure.

ArmaGlock
01-11-12, 01:25
I either fold it into my pants so it can't be seen, or place it inside my pants. I also try to keep my pants pulled up to knee level. I never leave it on a surface in the stall, that's a good way to forget it. NEVER hang it on a hook by the trigger guard!

Great advice. We had a guy in our agency do this and find out the hard way how stupid it was....ND in bathroom inside the station....Not all cops are gun guys and many shouldn't be allowed to carry them.....