PDA

View Full Version : Just got my CZ back from Cajun Gun Works

ruchik
12-28-11, 10:03
So here's some backstory. I initially bought my CZ 75B Compact intending to turn it into my ultimate steel-framed SAO blaster. The only thing I really disliked about the gun was its long SA mode takeup. Because of the nature of DA/SA hammer and trigger mechanisms, triggers will have a lot of free play and slack where the trigger does absolutely nothing in SA mode. So begins my saga.

I first converted the gun to SAO, by removing the disconnector and installing a SAO trigger. I wanted to remove all the slack, and move the static trigger position in SA mode further back to reduce trigger reach. Unfortunately, and much to my utter disappointment, it had the exact opposite effect. The break point was moved further forward, increasing reach instead. Back to the stock trigger.

Next I put slim aluminum grips from CZCustom on my gun. That helped a lot, but the free play in the trigger bugged the crap out of me. I began to search online, trying to see if there was some way I could fix this. The only way to shorten the trigger reach and move the static trigger position back is to remove the firing pin block. There was simply no way I could get what I wanted. As I will be using this gun for self and home defense, that was the last modification I wanted to perform on my CZ. I sadly started to consider maybe this wasn't "the one", and started to think about selling it.

Then, with some assistance and suggestions from Calguns, I was told to contact David Milam of Cajun Gun Works to see if he could do anything. He is THE MAN when it comes to CZ trigger work. Some of you may be familiar with his drop in hammer kits and Extreme Reach Reduction Kits for the CZ product line. I contacted Mr. Milam with my questions, and quite honestly I expected nothing to come of it, as every answer I always got was "It's not possible." However, Mr. Milam asked me to give him a day or two to see if he could work something out.

True to his word, he got back to me two days later. Much to my astonishment, Mr. Milam told me that he had actually figured it out. He said it required some fundamental engineering changes to the firing mechanism and parts, and gave me a list of modifications I needed to make. Note, he did not say send me the gun, buy my parts, or anything like that; he did the research and test fitting on his own frame and time, then gave me the specs for free. Since 1) the modifications were way over my head and 2) I felt such honesty and "customer" service (I wasn't even a paying customer yet!) deserved my business, I sent the gun his way. I just got it back, and was lost for words as Mr. Milam's work completely exceeded my wildest expectations.

Here is the trigger in its stock configuration, in SA:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v422/nickparkus/2011-12-07075809.jpg

And here it is after he did his work:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v422/nickparkus/2011-12-28042907.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v422/nickparkus/2011-12-28043309.jpg

(For those who noticed/wondering, that's not the stock slide. It's a slide from a full size CZ SAO that I bought off another Calgunner.)

Now here's the kicker: the firing pin block is intact. This shouldn't work. Normally, in order to get that trigger position, you must remove the firing pin block. Mr. Milam reworked the trigger and FPB in such a way to make what should be impossible, possible. He also reprofiled my stock trigger to make it thinner front to back, further reducing trigger reach. Here's the specs:

Stock trigger thickness - 2.5mm
Stock SA trigger position - 12.0mm
Finger reach - 14.5mm

Thinned trigger - 1.5mm
Modified trigger position - 7.5mm
Finger reach - 9.0mm

As you can see, the trigger reach has now been reduced by a whopping 38%.

I cannot say enough good things about Mr. Milam. His customer service is outstanding, to put it mildly. He responded to all my emails, every single one, within hours of me sending it, despite being in Louisiana and me being in California. He never once pushed his products, only notifying me of different possible options that he offered in case I wanted it (and I did, got a reduced power FPB spring). Mr. Milam kept me in the loop and contacted me with updates when he received my gun, when he started work on it, during working on it, when he sent it out to me, and when tracking showed it delivered. But most impressive of all, he took on a challenge and accomplished the first CZ modification of its kind (to my knowledge) in just six days. That was INCLUDING the weekend. He's on top his shizzle, all right.

If you've got a CZ and want to make a modification that everyone else is telling you won't work, contact Mr. David Milam of Cajun Gun Works. He just might make it a reality.

jamesbern
12-28-11, 10:14
Very nice man! I have a CZ out of Angus Hobdell's Custom shop and love it!

Make sure to report how it shoots.