PDA

View Full Version : New IOR 1-10x26 Eliminator

TurretGunner
12-28-11, 10:34
Has anyone gotten their hands on one of these yet? I used to own a 2-12 IOR which was one hell of a optic for the money but it was SFP and I sold it along with my SPR.

Retail is around $2700 but the features are pretty impressive. Would be heavy as hell on a carbine, but would be perfect on a DMR/.308 rifle.
http://www.libertyoptics.com/index1.html
http://www.valdada.com/product/845dfc1d-60d0-460b-b540-070ef1707015.aspx

montrala
12-28-11, 13:04
For me 1x means speed. 8.6mm exit pupil for 1x means: "forget about speed". This kills whole idea of going up from 1x. For example S&B Short Dot has exit pupil for 1.1x at 14mm (almost twice bigger!) and IOR Pitbull for 1x has 32mm(!) and for 4x it has 8mm.

Also 1-10 has only 105ft field of view at 1x. Basically all this 1-'zyllion'x scopes give up exit pupil and field of view (real world and practical values) for big zoom factor, that looks cool, but scope is neither good CQB nor MR/LR. Looking trough IOR 1-10x (prototype) reminded me "looking trough pencil" in Leupold 1-3. Even S&B 1-8x made similar impresion. Largest range of magnification with truly usable 1x seems to be in Svarovski Z6i (but exit pupil is already quite low at 9.6-10.8mm depending on version).

BTW I do like IOR very much. This is one of my favourite brands, and 3-18 is one of best MR/LR scopes I used. Just this 1-10x... I just do not see purpose, with this specs. My advice is to get IOR 2-12 or 3-18 and spent saved $1000 on Aimpoint Micro T1 on side mount and some ammo. Or beer.

BigNog
12-29-11, 18:48
For me 1x means speed. 8.6mm exit pupil for 1x means: "forget about speed". This kills whole idea of going up from 1x. For example S&B Short Dot has exit pupil for 1.1x at 14mm (almost twice bigger!) and IOR Pitbull for 1x has 32mm(!) and for 4x it has 8mm.

Also 1-10 has only 105ft field of view at 1x. Basically all this 1-'zyllion'x scopes give up exit pupil and field of view (real world and practical values) for big zoom factor, that looks cool, but scope is neither good CQB nor MR/LR. Looking trough IOR 1-10x (prototype) reminded me "looking trough pencil" in Leupold 1-3. Even S&B 1-8x made similar impresion. Largest range of magnification with truly usable 1x seems to be in Svarovski Z6i (but exit pupil is already quite low at 9.6-10.8mm depending on version).

BTW I do like IOR very much. This is one of my favourite brands, and 3-18 is one of best MR/LR scopes I used. Just this 1-10x... I just do not see purpose, with this specs. My advice is to get IOR 2-12 or 3-18 and spent saved $1000 on Aimpoint Micro T1 on side mount and some ammo. Or beer.

+1 I couldn't agree more, with the weight of this thing you could buy a t1 offset and an NXS 2.5-10x24 and have a good bit of money left over while coming in with less weight.

TurretGunner
12-29-11, 19:17
Same could be said vs a Shortdot, but people still pay 2500$ for them. This looks a MUCH more versitle product then that. the 10X alone would make ID alot easier in AFG.

BigNog
12-29-11, 19:39
Same could be said vs a Shortdot, but people still pay 2500$ for them. This looks a MUCH more versitle product then that. the 10X alone would make ID alot easier in AFG.

I don't see how on paper this optic is at all comparable to the S&B other than similarity in power range. Given S&B's history of quality I would feel much more comfortable paying $2500 for their 1-8 which is much lighter, has a daytime visible dot and doesn't have as severe an exit pupil than paying $2800+ to be a beta tester.

TurretGunner
12-29-11, 20:38
I don't see how on paper this optic is at all comparable to the S&B other than similarity in power range. Given S&B's history of quality I would feel much more comfortable paying $2500 for their 1-8 which is much lighter, has a daytime visible dot and doesn't have as severe an exit pupil than paying $2800+ to be a beta tester.

In IOR's defense they have been around for like 70 years, Use the best glass possible and have really pushed new ideas out the last couple years. S&B Shortdot is a great optic at 1K, but no where near worth what they want for them.

BigNog
12-29-11, 21:16
In IOR's defense they have been around for like 70 years, Use the best glass possible and have really pushed new ideas out the last couple years. S&B Shortdot is a great optic at 1K, but no where near worth what they want for them.

How is a 1-8 short dot with superior glass, construction, pedigree and features only worth 1K when the IOR is worth 2.8K? If you are talking about a 1-4 short dot you are comparing apples to grapefruit.

montrala
12-30-11, 08:01

No it can not be said about Shortdot (1.1-4x). It has almost twice as big exit pupil than IOR 1-10x and much better field of view.

IOR is not bad company. Actually it is very good company, that makes great scopes. Personally I owned 4-16x50 and 9-36x56 and used 1x-4x Pitbull. And I like IOR scopes very much.

Only this 1-10x26 is pointless. There is really no point to have scope that goes from 1x if you can not find scope picture fast and you are looking trough "pencil body". This makes 1x unusable. If it is unusable then secondary sight (mini RDS for example) is needed for CQB. If you have mRDS for CQB and do not use 1x setting on scope, than you can well but much better scope, even from IOR (like 2-12x or 3-18x) or other top manufacturer. Ditto.

BTW I tried new Shortdot 1-8x and while not as pointless as IOR 1-10x, at 1x it is much slower to use than Shortdot 1.1-4x. Big magnification range is at expense of field of view and exit pupil. This simply works this way. While some companies can do it better, rule is still effective.

TurretGunner
12-30-11, 10:01
With a daylight vis Dot you should be able to shoot with both eyes open.

montrala
12-30-11, 15:48
With a daylight vis Dot you should be able to shoot with both eyes open.

I shoot both eyes open. But it does not matter. One eye, both eyes... to shoot you must find "picture" in scope. To find it you must put one of your eyes in position defined by eye relief and exit pupil size (human eye pupil for young eye is about 4mm in day and 7mm in night - you must fit it within exit pupil of scope). The bigger exit pupil, the faster you will see your reticle or aiming dot. When you shoot for long range you usually have time to establish good eye position and find scope picture (in this case exit pupil of scope can be same that eye pupil, this way we can get all the light transmitted to eye without loss). But in CQB you must get there fast and not always you can get ideal, repeatable head position. That is why big exit pupil is critical factor for usability of scope in 1x.

Also, even with both eyes open, narrow field of view of scope generates tunnel vision and hurts awareness. This also can be confusing. On the other hand too much field of view at 1x generates fisheye effect that, while not noticeable with one eye closed, also can become annoying an tiresome for eyes/brain when using both eyes.

BigNog
12-30-11, 16:10
I shoot both eyes open. But it does not matter. One eye, both eyes... to shoot you must find "picture" in scope. To find it you must put one of your eyes in position defined by eye relief and exit pupil size (human eye pupil for young eye is about 4mm in day and 7mm in night - you must fit it within exit pupil of scope). The bigger exit pupil, the faster you will see your reticle or aiming dot. When you shoot for long range you usually have time to establish good eye position and find scope picture (in this case exit pupil of scope can be same that eye pupil, this way we can get all the light transmitted to eye without loss). But in CQB you must get there fast and not always you can get ideal, repeatable head position. That is why big exit pupil is critical factor for usability of scope in 1x.

Also, even with both eyes open, narrow field of view of scope generates tunnel vision and hurts awareness. This also can be confusing. On the other hand too much field of view at 1x generates fisheye effect that, while not noticeable with one eye closed, also can become annoying an tiresome for eyes/brain when using both eyes.

+1, also, according to the guys on SH the dot in the 1-10 is not daylight visible.

TurretGunner
12-30-11, 17:38
Thanks for the insight.

I might wait for the rumored 1-6 accupoint to come out from Trijicon this year instead.

supersix4
12-30-11, 17:44
Thanks for the insight.

I might wait for the rumored 1-6 accupoint to come out from Trijicon this year instead.

I hope they come up with a decent mil based reticle for it.

lmurtha1
12-30-11, 21:33
I just received this scope a few days ago and have mounted it on my Scar 17 with a 13" barrel. This scope is balanced perfectly negating any of your overweight claims. I also own many optics from S&B, Nightforce, U.S optics, and Premier. All in variable power scopes. This specific optic ranks above all in Glass quality and user ability IMO from just a few days of use. I like to have a broad spectrum of optics because each has its own qualities. The red dot at 1x is very small and is almost non existent in broad daylight. It can be easily seen with cloud cover or at dusk. I think this is negligable because you can still easily see the dot and crosshairs and paint it on the target. Yes, its not an Aimpoint or Eotech but easily suffices at 1x.

I believe that when buying this optic, your buying it for the broad power range and not solely on a 1x basis. Its a scope used for a broad range from mid to its max 10x with the "option" of 1x if needed. If your buying it because your going to be using 1x all the time, then other options are far more logical. Until you actually mount it on the rifle and use it through all its power, you cant get a true impression of it.

I think its worth every penny and is a new standard in this range of power. I will post pics and vid of it soon. I just sent it in to be cerakoted and will be remounted shortly. If you are looking at buying one, take the plunge and you wont be disappointed.