PDA

View Full Version : GI mags obsolete?

Failure2Stop
12-08-07, 16:48
Is there any reason to buy anything other than PMAGs anymore? (This is of course not withstanding buying cheap mags for stockpiling.)

They are more durable, actually fit 30 rounds, come in camo-friendly colors, and are soon to have ranger plates.

Now, since I have not used been able to touch mine yet, this is a question to everyone that has.

Has anyone experienced any issue with their mags (other than lower-receiver issues a la S&W) such as mag-pouch non-compatability, distrust of plastic, religious issues, etc.?

John_Wayne777
12-08-07, 17:35
Mine have worked great for me.

Hootiewho
12-08-07, 17:39
The only thing that I have noticed about my Pmags is they tend to have more crap on them when I fire suppressed vs. GI mags, but they clean up. Other than that, they have performed flawlessly.

KevinB
12-08-07, 17:55
WRT the PMAG ; I'll have a slew going thru cold weather testing in a bit with some CF guys.

but on the whole of it so far -- I'd say yeah, no make that -- HELL, YEAH!

ZGXtreme
12-08-07, 18:04
I too have become I complete PMAG convert. I still use the USGI mags I ended up with from my time on active duty, but as far as new mag purchases they will be exclusively PMAGs. While maybe a dollar or two than say the typical mag you would stockpile for range use of the like, the added features and product quality is more than worth it.

Jay Cunningham
12-08-07, 18:09
They represent the future for the AR. In one fell swoop they eliminate all mag-related issues.

Hootiewho
12-08-07, 18:23
They represent the future for the AR. In one fell swoop they eliminate all mag-related issues.

The only remaining mag issue in my opinion is that I cannot buy enough!

WS6
12-08-07, 18:31
I really like USGI 20 rounders from NHMTG, does the PMAG really have a leg up on them and howso ifso? Also, what is this about:

The PMAG™ features a pop-off storage/dust cover that alleviates pressure from the magazine feed lips, allowing for storage of loaded magazines without risk of feed lip creep that often causes malfunction in standard aluminum magazines.

If I leave my USGI 20 rounders loaded, will I get "feed lip creep" or is this a myth???

ZGXtreme
12-08-07, 18:57
I really like USGI 20 rounders from NHMTG, does the PMAG really have a leg up on them and howso ifso? Also, what is this about:

The PMAG™ features a pop-off storage/dust cover that alleviates pressure from the magazine feed lips, allowing for storage of loaded magazines without risk of feed lip creep that often causes malfunction in standard aluminum magazines.

If I leave my USGI 20 rounders loaded, will I get "feed lip creep" or is this a myth???

While I only have two 20 round Colt magazines with limited use, I have found them very reliable and durable. Now, with my PMAGs I have experienced the same thing with the benefit of (1) carrying "10" (actually 12) more rounds and (2) enhanced durability due to the high quality polymer construction. While durable, a USGI 20 rounder would not have surpassed the PMAG in any of the strength test as shown in the videos on say YouTube.

Regarding the creep of the feed lips.... I have numerous USGI 30 rounders that have been used for years, and by used I mean used hard. Visually you can see a little creep in the feed lips but it doesn't affect function of the magazines. While the PMAGs come with the cover, I think that is more of just the excellent service and development that is evident in the company. One of the guys at MagPul has had a mag fully loaded on his desk for almost a year and the lips have not moved.

Before I get to long winded... the feed lip creep is very plausible (to steal from Myth Busters) but I think in reality you will be ok. If anything, you can use the caps to store the magazines and it isn't going to hurt anything anyways.

Dave L.
12-08-07, 19:10
I will never buy another USGI Aluminum mag or C-Prod Stainless mag. I have totally switched to P-Mags...just bummed you can't get them back into the US once they leave.

On another note, I don't own a windowed P-Mag. I don't really see the point of spending the extra $3 on one. They look cool, but really do nothing for me.
I will probably buy a few smoke ones when they come out, but really only for the cool factor.

JimmyB62
12-08-07, 19:28
They certainly seem more consistent in their reliability than aluminum. Out of the twenty I have ALL are good. Out of twenty aluminum mags I generally find an issue with one or two. Others seem to find the same results. The stainless springs may not last as long but they seem to have more tension new anyway so maybe a worn spring won't matter. The only question I have is long term durability. Will the polymer break down over time, ect. Polymer technology seems fairly mature now so I doubt they'll be any problem but sometime only time tells. I won't be buying any more aluminum mags and will stick w/ the Pmags unless something changes.

I have to admit that a good amount of the information I know about them comes from other's experiences, which I've read on the web. Nevertheless I have no reason to doubt other's experience since it seems to mirror mine.

Heavy Metal
12-08-07, 19:51
I am not convinced of so-called feel lip creep in aluminum magazines.

I believe it is mechanical deformation caused by the spring pressure and the inertia of the column of rounds coming to an abrupt stop against the feed lips during the feeding cycle.

I believe it is cumulitive and exacerbated by wear and external abuse of the feed lips.

I still think the PMAGS are the way to go, I just think this aspect of the wear mechanisim of the aluminum magazines is mischaracterized.

czydj
12-08-07, 20:34
I'm sold on the PMAG's because they're nearly indestructable. Like my Timex. My only question is how important is using that doggone cover and how do you keep track of yours? Even with that little nagging detail, I think my next bulk purchase will be entirely PMAG's...

rhino
12-09-07, 00:30
I think one of the best things about the Pmags is that they've introduced serious competition to the standard. That means the price of the premium "mil-spec" mags should continue to decline. There is very little wrong with the teflon finished magazines originating from D&H (and getting branded by Bravo Co., DSG, etc) with a Magpul follower and a stainless or chrome moly spring. When the price gets really, really good I'll be inclined to buy more of them in quantity.

TWR
12-09-07, 08:49
I bought a couple to try and can see no fault with them even though I rarely use a 30 round mag. I'm ordering 10 more for a pre Hillary/Obama investment and as soon as the 20 rounders are available I'll order quite a few more than that.

I know Magpul doesn't give release dates anymore but would anyone care to make a guess when the 20's will hit the market?

Keith E.
12-09-07, 09:03
GI mags obsolete?

Yes, yes they are. PM me and I'll provide you with my shipping address to which you can send me all of your obsolete GI mags for proper disposal at no charge to you.

Thanks, Keith

ZGXtreme
12-09-07, 09:13
I bought a couple to try and can see no fault with them even though I rarely use a 30 round mag. I'm ordering 10 more for a pre Hillary/Obama investment and as soon as the 20 rounders are available I'll order quite a few more than that.

I know Magpul doesn't give release dates anymore but would anyone care to make a guess when the 20's will hit the market?

"Soon!" Check out the thread; Magpul 20rd Mag Pre-Order List (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=9504) that Grant recently posted.

KevinB
12-09-07, 09:13

Coldblue related that he had some 20's loaded since before his last stint in RVN - and fired them without issue in the late 80's and early 90's..

Robb Jensen
12-09-07, 09:20
Are USGI mags obsolete?............IMHO no.

Are PMAGs good/great?.........yes, I have 21 PMAGs now and buy a few a week.

Should you get rid of any USGI mags you have?.................Hell no.

CRSBAR
12-09-07, 09:26
I have to agree that the PMag is the next generation of magazine. Having used USGI for many many years and played with the new H&K mags as well as other synthetic magazines, I too have switched over exclusively to PMags. There is absolutely no reason not to. There is NOTHING a USGI magazine can do that the PMag can not do and much better. I have conducted numerous tests on the PMags and they have ALWAYS come out on top. I hope to see Uncle Sam wake up and see the future right in front of them. By switching to these magazines, they could add to the reliability of the weapon system since a vast majority of failures are magazine related. Just my .02

Submariner
12-09-07, 09:31
Should you get rid of any USGI mags you have?.................Hell no.

Maybe when they are no longer serviceable.;)

Then replace with P-Mags.

joe scuba
12-09-07, 10:13
I have never had any problems with GI mags (20 years of military service). I always keep a few 20 round mags because they are just the ticket when you need to get real close to the ground during those serious social problems happen. :)

Failure2Stop
12-09-07, 15:37
I posted this question after responding to the "What mags should I buy thread?". I listed my favorites, from O-Kay to PMag, and after I launched my reply I kind of realized that I had no intention of paying for a non-PMag ever again, unless I found some smoking deal. That being said, the price point of a PMag is below that of a quality coated aluminum with upgraded follower, so what better value exists on the market today?

I was less than enthused by the H&K Mags, even when they were issued. They didn't do anything my modded O-Kays didn't, at 1/3 the price, and less weight/length, and could mount a Ranger Plate.

Now that there is an imminent release of the Ranger Plates for the PMags. . . why bother with anything else?

It's great to see so much support for this product from those with a vested interest in their reliability, but I was curious if anyone could give a rational reason to buy anything else.

NickB
12-09-07, 16:20
Drake does indeed have a fully loaded, uncapped PMAG that has been sitting on his desk for as long as I can remember. If I recall correctly, written on both sides are curse words and threats of physical violence to anyone who dares remove it from his desk. :p

Lumpy196
12-09-07, 20:20
I'll keep the GIs I have until they stop working.

Any replacements I buy will be Pmags.

Rule303
12-09-07, 20:25
Anyone know approximately when Ranger Plates for P-Mags will be available?

rhino
12-10-07, 00:50
That being said, the price point of a PMag is below that of a quality coated aluminum with upgraded follower, so what better value exists on the market today?

The last time I placed a big order with www.44mag.com, the Pmags were $1.60 more than D&H teflon finish with Magpul followers, both in quantities of 100+.

Jerm
12-10-07, 16:03
a stainless or chrome moly spring.

chrome moly the same thing as chrome silicon?

advantages over the SS(if any)?

rhino
12-10-07, 17:37
chrome moly the same thing as chrome silicon?

advantages over the SS(if any)?

No, chrome moly is a steel with added chromium and molybdenum. The other had chromium and and silicon. Not the same.

The chrome silicon springs are alleged to have a longer service life than stainless steel springs.

Jerm
12-10-07, 18:36
ok thanks.

44MAG seems to offer SS and chrome silicon springs in the Pmag.

wasnt aware there was a choice in the Pmags(until i noticed it there) or which way would be the best to go.

Bigun
12-11-07, 02:30
Only one issue, I had a bunch of Sierra 69grainSMK's I loaded to beyond max length dimension, the longest I could get to operate through the GI mags, they would not feed through the P-mag, other than that they have been perfect.

DrDrake
12-11-07, 18:43
Drake does indeed have a fully loaded, uncapped PMAG that has been sitting on his desk for as long as I can remember. If I recall correctly, written on both sides are curse words and threats of physical violence to anyone who dares remove it from his desk. :p

Nick is correct. Close to a year now with no cover and no feed lip deformation. Mag still funtions. There have been two broken fingers of guys trying to remove it from my office!!

toddackerman
12-12-07, 14:06
I haven't experienced any issues...but it's still too early for me to vote that they are the current "Gold Standard".

Several Mag designs have come and gone over the last 10 years. The only one that has continued to be flawless in functioning is the USGI spec. Mags.

This could very well change, and I wouldn't be surprised that the PMAG's would stand the test of time. This being said, I wouldn't do a "Swap Out" of my existing USGI D&H Teflon Mags for any new Mag. No need to. They're not broke, and certaintly don't need any fixing.

markm
12-12-07, 14:31
Here's some interesting research on the Pmag. According to preliminary results, they eliminate the need for M4 feedramps!

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=9628

WS6
12-12-07, 18:12
My roommate had some Orlites (I think) and I wasn't impressed. THey sounded/felt "gritty" and the follower had a lot of tilt/bind feeling when I pressed on one end or the other of it. What makes a PMAG better than an Orlite? I have never handled a PMAG. Is it a worthy investment over my NHMTG 20 rounders?

Heavy Metal
12-12-07, 19:00
My roommate had some Orlites (I think) and I wasn't impressed. THey sounded/felt "gritty" and the follower had a lot of tilt/bind feeling when I pressed on one end or the other of it. What makes a PMAG better than an Orlite? I have never handled a PMAG. Is it a worthy investment over my NHMTG 20 rounders?

Well, the PMAG is made from a polymer 30 years newer in formulation. 30 years in the polymer world is an eternity. Not to mention it is better in about a dozen differing ways besides that.

A Sopwith camel and an F-22 are both airplanes but that is about where the similarity ends.

Orlites are garbage compared to PMAGS. I own and have ran both and there is no comparison.

The Orlites will be sold off real soon to buy more PMAGS.

Submariner
12-12-07, 20:00
Somehow I don't think they are obsolete in New York. :rolleyes:

I just came across a box of NIW pre-bans for which I paid $20 each.:eek:

And that was when the dollar was worth significantly more.:mad:

Wonder how much I can sell then for?:D

Then I can buy some P-Mags.:cool:

Sidewinder6
12-12-07, 20:10
This thread is costing me money! :cool:

markm
12-12-07, 20:49

I have to admit the various shit plastic mags of the past had me too skeptical of Magpuls new mag. But once you get one in your hand all of the doubt will go away.

NickB
12-12-07, 20:51
I have to admit the various shit plastic mags of the past had me too sceptical of Magpuls new mag. But once you get one in your hand all of the doubt will go away.

I use PMAGs, but only because I have a bad habit of accidentally running my gear over with my Chevy truck.

Submariner
12-12-07, 20:58
I have to admit the various shit plastic mags of the past had me too sceptical of Magpuls new mag. But once you get one in your hand all of the doubt will go away.

Markm - likes - gasp - MagPul?????

NickB
12-12-07, 21:03

I keep offering to send him a 3-pack of original Magpuls, but he never takes me up on it. :confused:

markm
12-12-07, 21:07
I keep offering to send him a 3-pack of original Magpuls, but he never takes me up on it. :confused:

If you really want to send them, PM me. I do have 3 Steel Imperial Defense mags that could use an upgrade.

NickB
12-12-07, 21:12
If you really want to send them, PM me. I do have 3 Steel Imperial Defense mags that could use an upgrade.

I'll trade you - weren't you the guy who duct taped a plastic bottle to a magazine and called it a Magpul a long time ago? If you can dig up a high resolution picture of that and email it to me, I'll send you some Magpuls or a PMAG or something. :D

jdp710
12-12-07, 21:15
I just finished putting my first P Mag through a small torture test and I can say all my future mags will be P Mags.

I'm not getting rid of my USGI but so far I don't see a need to buy any more in the future.

Just my $.02

WS6
12-13-07, 00:03
I have to admit the various shit plastic mags of the past had me too skeptical of Magpuls new mag. But once you get one in your hand all of the doubt will go away.

So the Magpuls, do they use the "Magpul follower upgrade"? Or what? Are they as smooth feeling to load/unload/press on as my 20 round NHMTG GI mags?

Robb Jensen
12-13-07, 04:49

It took an intervention, but yes he does! :p

markm
12-13-07, 07:20
I'll trade you - weren't you the guy who duct taped a plastic bottle to a magazine and called it a Magpul a long time ago? If you can dig up a high resolution picture of that and email it to me, I'll send you some Magpuls or a PMAG or something. :D

I'll have to look for that one. It was called the M-Plate. It was in response to Lumpy's complaint about women who throw an empty gallon milk container in the trash and effectively use up all the space in the can with air.

Anyhow, that pic was hosted on the foto server of TOS. It might be gone for good!

The Archangel
12-13-07, 11:05
Send me all of your POS crappy, worthless USGI mags.

I haven't bought an AR mag since 1992, but I would probably buy a few Pmags for the purdiness factor. The crappy USGI & HK ones that I own have worked for me.

markm
12-13-07, 11:09
That's how I was. I already have enough mags. I finally saw these in Dillon's retail show room and bought one. Now I'm just another PMAG FAG!:eek:

NickB
12-14-07, 23:32
I'll have to look for that one. It was called the M-Plate. It was in response to Lumpy's complaint about women who throw an empty gallon milk container in the trash and effectively use up all the space in the can with air.

Anyhow, that pic was hosted on the foto server of TOS. It might be gone for good!

Let me know - I might have a place for it in something I'm doing for Magpul.

PetesTactical
12-15-07, 10:40
With what is out and comming out, I don't really see a reason to own GI mags.
HK, P mag, 20rd P mag.

Beat Trash
12-15-07, 10:51
Will the PMAG's fit in mag pockets of chest rigs designed to hold two magazines? In other words, are the PMAG's wider at the base than USGI mags?

I use a chest carrier by Blackhawk that has 4x2mag pockets. I would hate to start buying PMAG's, only to find out they don't fit in all of the mag pouches designed for USGI mags.

toddackerman
12-15-07, 12:11
So the Magpuls, do they use the "Magpul follower upgrade"? Or what? Are they as smooth feeling to load/unload/press on as my 20 round NHMTG GI mags?

Yes to all!

Submariner
12-15-07, 14:12

Try putting a MagPul self-leveling follower in these. You will be amazed.:cool:

The MagPuls won't hurt either.;)

rob_s
12-15-07, 18:54
I've been running the Pmags for the last two days. Gotta say, I'm kinda "meh" about them. I got the orange ones, which are of some value to me due to the color, but otherwise.... I have one or two issues personally.

Ultimately I still think I'd rather buy 100 D&H from Bravo, but evidently I'm alone in this. I do, however, see the economy in buying a Pmag for $12 vs. (for example) a Brownells with a Magpul follower for $15.

Now, If Magpul offered me 100 custom yellow Pmags at $1k shipped.... :D

NickB
12-15-07, 19:09
I have one or two issues personally.

Care to elaborate?

Submariner
12-15-07, 19:22
Ultimately I still think I'd rather buy 100 D&H from Bravo, but evidently I'm alone in this. I do, however, see the economy in buying a Pmag for $12 vs. (for example) a Brownells with a Magpul follower for $15.

You are not as alone as you think. I just bought a batch of damn-near new USGI mags from Hawkeye, complete with Magpul followers, L-Plates and some Krylon for $11 each, delivered.

Of Coors, he is switching to P-Mags.;)

markm
12-15-07, 19:49
I have one or two issues personally.

SIG LINE MATERIAL, fr00t!

The notion that Rob_s isn't thrilled shitless with PMAGs is proof postive to me that they are the Cat's aSS! :D

NickB
12-15-07, 19:53

The notion that Rob_s isn't thrilled shitless with PMAGs is proof postive to me that they are the Cat's aSS! :D

Find me that picture and I'll send you a couple more! Maybe even an orange one! Or a clear/smoke one if Drake will let me...:p

Robb Jensen
12-15-07, 19:54

Hell yeah, this just means that I'll buy 100 more! :D

variablebinary
12-15-07, 20:52
Um, no.

rob_s
12-16-07, 06:32
Care to elaborate?

Not really, as I don't much see the point. I'll continue to use the 11 I bought for a couple of months and see if I change my mind, or if the little nagging things that bug me start to bug me less or are outweighed by some benefit I haven't yet seen.

In terms of just basic function (feeding rounds into the chamber at the appropriate moment) they have worked well for me so far, with the exception of a couple of times where the bottom 3-4 rounds in the mag have gotten crossed and failed to feed. This happened twice on Friday to me and at least once to one of the other guys in class, but we both think it may be related to the Betamag loaders we're both using.

Submariner
12-16-07, 07:39
...where the bottom 3-4 rounds in the mag have gotten crossed and failed to feed. This happened twice on Friday to me and at least once to one of the other guys in class, but we both think it may be related to the Betamag loaders we're both using.

Which Beta Mag loader are you using? We use both the individual and the stripper loader. I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around this one.

RGT
12-16-07, 08:01
Nope. Not to me anyway. I just ordered 10 more 30 rounders (green follower) from 44Mag.

Guess I'm just a hard headed 'ol Marine. I have no problem with the GI's I own now, or in the past, so see no (good) reason to switch.

Maybe if I start running over then with my truck... :D

DesertDawg
12-16-07, 08:24
The only problem I have with the P-mags are that I cant put two mags in the double mag pouches on my LBV..(load bearing vest).
They are too wide to fit two in the pouch,and I have tried every different position I could think of to get two in there....

markm
12-16-07, 08:38
Find me that picture and I'll send you a couple more! Maybe even an orange one! Or a clear/smoke one if Drake will let me...:p

I looked in my Puter, and it's gone! I can get another one though. That pic actually was low res, and crappy lighting.

I should build and M-plate, ship it to STICKMAN, and get the pic done right! :D

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-16-07, 08:45
But there always seems to be some new doo-dad that is 1000 times awesomer than the last. For a few years it was the HK mag. Now it is junk. I have a sneaking suspicion the fad cycle will continue for eternity.

GIFFMANN
12-16-07, 09:08
Probably not yet. For me, I love the PMAGs, but found at least one that won't drop free from my LMT lower....

onmilo
12-16-07, 09:10
Fad to me.
I don't like the two P-Mags I have.
Like a Glock magazine with a plus two extender, they rattle when fully loaded.

They work fine but so do my fifty or so aluminum magazines and my aluminum magazines don't rattle when fully loaded.

twodollarbill
12-16-07, 14:49
The only problem I have with the P-mags are that I cant put two mags in the double mag pouches on my LBV..(load bearing vest).
They are too wide to fit two in the pouch,and I have tried every different position I could think of to get two in there....

I had to make some wood forms and stretch out the pockets of my double mag pouches.

Think it took about "two weeks" to set........

Now they are permanently P-Mag pouches.

NickB
12-16-07, 15:04
I looked in my Puter, and it's gone! I can get another one though. That pic actually was low res, and crappy lighting.

I should build and M-plate, ship it to STICKMAN, and get the pic done right! :D

Haha! Let me know what you work up.

DesertDawg
12-16-07, 15:31
I had to make some wood forms and stretch out the pockets of my double mag pouches.

Think it took about "two weeks" to set........

Now they are permanently P-Mag pouches.

The only problem with that is my stuff is govt. issue and I am usually issued aluminum mags anyway....just have the P-mags for personal use.

ptm76
12-17-07, 19:47
Given that PMags are more durable than USGI mags, are cheaper than USGI mags, and are better than USGI mags in every way, I'd say that the aluminum USGI mags are obsolete and a waste of tax-payer money, as well as a waste of aluminum.

rob_s
12-18-07, 07:23
Given that PMags are more durable than USGI mags, are cheaper than USGI mags, and are better than USGI mags in every way, I'd say that the aluminum USGI mags are obsolete and a waste of tax-payer money, as well as a waste of aluminum.

If you're paying more for GI mags than Pmags then you're doing something wrong.

NickB
12-18-07, 07:40

http://home.comcast.net/~nickbooras/doingwrong.jpg

I've been waiting to use that...

ffhounddog
12-18-07, 07:40
I will weigh in a bit. They are more bulky and I cannot fit 6 P-Mags in my Bandoleers like I can fit 6 GI mags in them. I can only fit 3 P-Mags in my 6 mag bandoleer snapped up. That means I am loosing firepower.

Now in my Chest rig I can fit 8 P-Mags so I have 8 in there. I just do not want to buy new gear just to get mags. Gear cost more than mags and I just got 11mags with Magpul followers for $9.99 a piece.

I will buy both. But in GI pouches and some Molle poches for my plate carrier I can not put the max number of mags in them with PMAGs only GI mags.

Failure2Stop
12-18-07, 09:52
What double mag pouches are not working with PMAGs?

The MOLLE doubles are a PITA to get 2 GI mags into, whereas Eagle/Specter doubles with the elastic bands seem almost oversize for two GI mags.

Not doubting the experiences, just seeking clarification, thanks for the candid response.

ffhounddog
12-18-07, 14:17
Issued SDS stuff that I have. The mag pouch 2 mags rear pouch does not have enough play with the mags. The foward section does. I have a SKD vest and they are good to go with the pouches.

DesertDawg
12-18-07, 15:08
The two mag pouch on the old style LBE,the one that has the plastic quick snaps up the front is the type that I have trouble with....My personal FLS(molle vest)I do not have any trouble with those pouches.

C4IGrant
12-18-07, 17:19
But there always seems to be some new doo-dad that is 1000 times awesomer than the last. For a few years it was the HK mag. Now it is junk. I have a sneaking suspicion the fad cycle will continue for eternity.

Just like everything (cars, electronics, etc) products do evolve and companies come out with better things.

HK mags were always known to have issues in certain weapons. I have a gen II HK mag and it runs perfectly in a 14.5" or 16" weapon. Put it in a 10.5 and forget about it.

Having run PMAG's in all kinds of different AR systems, I can tell you that they are not a "fad" and will be around a long time. IMHO, they will eventually own the market and metal mags will be obsolete.

C4

ptm76
12-18-07, 17:25

I wasn't refering to the civilian cost, but there isn't much difference between the cost of the two when buying new mags. The cheapest is see the USGI mags going for new is 10 buck, but thats the price per mag for 100 mags.
What I meant was that They'd be lower cost to the government. That was one of the goals in the design of the PMag. Fast production, low cost.

But my main point was that the USGI aluminum mags are obsolete now that there is the PMag.

ptm76
12-18-07, 17:27
http://home.comcast.net/~nickbooras/doingwrong.jpg

I've been waiting to use that...

Nice.

Agrippa
12-22-07, 09:20
Mark, Nick, I just found that pic in my archives!

Here you go, the original MarkMPlate, Gen 1:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/Agrippa/markmplates.jpg

:D

Best,

Rick

markm
12-22-07, 09:39
Right on! The original Mplate lives!

NickB
12-22-07, 14:20
Mark, Nick, I just found that pic in my archives!

Here you go, the original MarkMPlate, Gen 1:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/Agrippa/markmplates.jpg

:D

Best,

Rick

:cool: That's just badass. :D

f.2
12-22-07, 15:00
You don't have to purchase a 100 to get $10.change mags.

BravoCompany (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-magazines-beta-s/21.htm)
AR15 Magazines with BLACK Teflon Finish 30 Round - 10 Pack ! - BLACK
List Price: $199.50
Our Price: $109.90

...The cheapest is see the USGI mags going for new is 10 buck, but thats the price per mag for 100 mags.

Beat Trash
12-23-07, 15:03
Does anyone have PMAGs for sale for under $14 per magazine?

rob_s
12-23-07, 17:17
Brownells with the discount is $12/ea I believe.

ZGXtreme
12-23-07, 17:31
Brownells with the discount is $12/ea I believe.

You would be correct. Last time I looked I think they were $11.95 for plain black.

C4IGrant
12-24-07, 16:04

We have them for $13.50 when you buy ten or more.

C4

KLR_Redux
12-24-07, 16:31
Now that there seems to be a consensus on what is different about the S&W 15 series magwells keeping them from fitting Magpul Magazines, how much work would it be for a gunsmith to fix the lower? I am assuming some removal of metal and re-anodizing.

rhino
12-24-07, 16:35
For those who can handle an order of 100+, you can get Pmags from www.44mag.com for $12.49 each, shipped. I've had excellent service from them on several large orders.

KevinB
12-24-07, 16:46
FYI for mil or LE pers they (PMAG's) are $ 11 ;) @ Brownells ( a site sponsor too)

Mortech
12-24-07, 22:09
Darn ! :rolleyes: I just paid $22 ea for 2 of them , only one store in the Seattle I-5 corridor had any . But on the other hand new USGIs are going for $19 locally .

Eric
12-24-07, 23:23
Darn ! :rolleyes: I just paid $22 ea for 2 of them , only one store in the Seattle I-5 corridor had any . But on the other hand new USGIs are going for $19 locally . I hope they at least gave you a little peck on the cheek before that one! Nothing like paying more than MSRP. :rolleyes: Who was it?

ebisu
12-25-07, 09:14
I am currently deployed to Iraq for the 3rd time. This time I have used PMAGs. Since the beginning of this deployment I have used them, and only them. Since the start of this deployment 22 guys living on my outpost have switched to using the PMAGs after witnessing mine never failing no matter what condition they are in or what happens to them. The cool covers are worthless over here and I shipped them home for use on my personal equipment. Some of my fellow Soldiers got some HK mags from the ranger battalion that was here in the beginning of the deployment. They have never failed as well, but are heavier and seem to hang up when doing quick reloads.

Scouts Out

Sidewinder6
12-25-07, 14:59
I am currently deployed to Iraq for the 3rd time. This time I have used PMAGs. Since the beginning of this deployment I have used them, and only them. Since the start of this deployment 22 guys living on my outpost have switched to using the PMAGs after witnessing mine never failing no matter what condition they are in or what happens to them. The cool covers are worthless over here and I shipped them home for use on my personal equipment. Some of my fellow Soldiers got some HK mags from the ranger battalion that was here in the beginning of the deployment. They have never failed as well, but are heavier and seem to hang up when doing quick reloads.

Scouts Out

Thank you for your note on this. Safe travels and happy holidays.

Dport
12-25-07, 18:04
FYI for mil or LE pers they (PMAG's) are $ 11 ;) @ Brownells ( a site sponsor too)
According to their FAQ section. The discount is only for .mil armorers.

KevinB
12-25-07, 18:09
Well they give it to me...
Of course with the volume I put thru I may as well be the unit armorer

markm
12-26-07, 08:44
These PMAGS are strange. I got two more for Christmas... one black and one tan.

So now I have a grand total of four.. two blacks and two tans. Neither of the blacks will drop free from my Eagle armalite, but both tans will. Yet ALL FOUR drop free from my Colt.

Regardless... I'm still a big fan of the design.