PDA

View Full Version : M&P Setup - Carry / Courses / IDPA / 3 Gun

NUTT
12-28-11, 14:38
In 2012, I'm going to take a pistol course & start shooting IDPA & 3-Gun competitions to tune up my defensive pistol skills. I'm decent with a 1911 or a revolver in SA, but can't seem to run a good striker fired gun very well.

I should admit that I shoot my wife's XD-M 9mm pretty damn good and have an XD45 compact that I shoot decent as well. The triggers on those suit me a bit better and I want to shoot the M&P that way.

I've got an M&P 45 but the stock trigger is way too heavy & I noticed I've developed a flinch. I want to step back to the 9mm and work on the fundamentals a bit.

So... in a 4.25" M&P 9mm, how would you recommend tuning it up & why?

Trigger Options
Apex DCAEK
Burwell / Bowie / Other gunsmith

For sights, I want a serrated black rear & a tritium front. So...

Which rear sight?

Which tritium front sight?
Ameriglo
Other?

/// I've done some searching but can't find all the info in one place so I've started this thread. If you've got better Google-Fu than I, go ahead & post a link.

markm
12-28-11, 14:45
Learning to shoot that shitty M&P 45 trigger made me a better pistol shot for sure.

It took a about 1200-1500 rounds to both break in the trigger and learn to shoot that lifesuck.

I ended up liking that turd finally. It ran well.

kartoffel
12-28-11, 14:49
Is this going to be purely a gaming gun? If so, I'd pick the class you want to run in and build it accordingly.

But if you're going to carry it, though...

Serrated rear sight: 10-8 if you want a U notch, Heine Ledge if you want a square notch. I like these two rear sights because both have a nice ledge for one-handed manipulation. The more recent style S&W factory sight isn't bad either, and you can pick/drill out the white dots.

Tritium front sight: I'd pair a Warren with the 10-8, since you'll need an a-la-carte front sight. Heine Ledge sights are available as a front/rear set. Again, the stock S&W tritium sight is fine, too. I'm not a fan of fiber optics on a carry weapon.

Trigger: DCAEK or stock trigger only. I wouldn't trust hand-stoned trigger parts in a carry piece, especially when Apex's drop in parts work so well.

NUTT
12-28-11, 17:12
Is this going to be purely a gaming gun?

This will definitely NOT be a gaming gun. This is more of a "learn how to shoot a pistol" gun. I can run an M16/M4 pretty well thanks to Uncle Sugar and a year in the sand.

The problem is, I carry a pistol, not a carbine.

If I get good enough I'll put together a gaming gun for a particular class.

MP9
12-28-11, 18:58
Nothing.
If you want to start shooting idpa and you are not an expert dont worry so much about all that. You can do very very well with a stock gun. The apex dcaek could help, i have a mp9 and after one year shooting idpa i got the apex dcaek.

I am not an expert or master but you do very very well without changing anything.

When you overcome your gun and can not shoot faster and be in the expert category because the stock trigger, then get the apex.

First focus on the basic.

Just my .2 cents.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

Dos Cylindros
12-28-11, 20:06
Nothing.
If you want to start shooting idpa and you are not an expert dont worry so much about all that. You can do very very well with a stock gun. The apex dcaek could help, i have a mp9 and after one year shooting idpa i got the apex dcaek.

I am not an expert or master but you do very very well without changing anything.

When you overcome your gun and can not shoot faster and be in the expert category because the stock trigger, then get the apex.

Just my .2 cents.

This is very good advice. Start with a basic, no frill gun and go to town trying to wear it out. If you find something that is failiing you during IDPA use, change it to suit. Start with a basic gun, just like you did in the service, you will grow to know what you like from your personal experience, not what you read hear.

PPGMD
12-28-11, 22:28
My carry gun (that I also run in indoor/night action pistol competitions):
M&P 9 Full Size
Apex DC/AEK
Apex RAM
Crimson Trace Grips (off for matches)
Surefire X300 (for carry only)
Trijicon HD Night Sights - Orange Front

This gun works very well I've used it at a number of matches before I finished my gamer gun, including winning a club level steel match. I didn't feel disadvantaged at all.

My Gamer Gun (daylight matches):
M&P 9 Pro 5"
Apex DC/AEK
Apex RAM
Large Grip Insert (about same size as the CTC)
Warren Tactical Fiber Optic Sight Set (red FO)

durus5995
12-29-11, 09:28
My M&P that I am switching to for carry is set up with Doug's trigger from ATEI and I hope to be able to get my frame stippled by Joey from firearms. Both are members here and turn out some real high quality stuff.

http://www.ateiguns.com/

http://firearmconcepts.com/

NUTT
12-29-11, 21:32
Nothing.

Just my .2 cents.

But... but... but....

Yeah, you are probably right. I don't currently have an M&P 9 although I am considering picking one up.

I've got a few pistols to choose from to go back to "the basics". I'll probably shoot a match or two each with a Beretta 92 and an XDM 9 before picking up anything else. The M&P 9 will have to wait.

Thanks for the advice.

Lefty Gunner
12-29-11, 23:06
Please consider how competitive you will be. Are you shooting for concealed carry practice, or do you want to be first?

IDPA is a competition and you may find yourself wanting to be one position higher, etc. If so, build a SSP competition gun. It will not break the bank and will give you the best chance of finishing as high as you are capable.

Otherwise, shoot what you carry.

Both are valid strategies, but the guns will be slightly different.

Competition (IDPA) M&P 9 - a 5" gun ("L" model) with plain or fiber optics front sight and black wide notch rear. I use Warren Tactical rear with their fiber front. I like the sculpted sides of the sight for transitions and movement. Apex sear and FP Plunger with a polish of internals. Less than 4# trigger on a Lyman gage. Smooth and lets off just before the trigger stop.

Carry - Box stock or with dcaek. If an M&P 45 the Apex sear and FP block will take you to about 4-4.5# as the 45 is a little stiffer than the 9mm. Sights are users choice, but Warren has a front night sight to go with a tactical rear. Nice thing about the 45 is the 10 round mags let you shoot SSP with no disadvantage RE capacity.

I personally shoot My Competition 9mm M&P L and the 45 to about the same scores, much to my surprise.

35percent
12-30-11, 16:24
My M&P that I am switching to for carry is set up with Doug's trigger from ATEI and I hope to be able to get my frame stippled by Joey from firearms. Both are members here and turn out some real high quality stuff.

http://www.ateiguns.com/

http://firearmconcepts.com/

+1 for Doug's trigger work in M&Ps. Super smooth yet snappy pull, great reset. For sights im running Hiene straight 8s. Pretty simple setup but it works for me.

Schulze
12-31-11, 16:26
I would buy a stock M&P. Then I would reduce the sear lip and polish, polish the striker at the sear engagement, and polish the striker safety plunger. It takes about fifteen minutes and saves all that trouble markm went through.

Sights Ameriglo/Warren/Trijicon/Whatever. They are all basically post in notch sights and all work the same. I have about every brand represented in my collection.

Since you're just learning pistol shooting, I'd buy one of the books written by one of the greats, like Pratical Shooting by Brian Enos.

After that you can think about classes and competition.

Mauser KAR98K
12-31-11, 19:45
I run an M&P with a APEX FSS. it is both my 3-gun pistol and as my primary CCW. Hated the stock trigger from the get go, and the FSS is pretty close to my Colt Gold Cup's trigger weight.

jeremy stanke
01-01-12, 10:26
ATEi does awesome work, contact Doug and tell him what your looking for and he can do it

OldState
01-01-12, 10:49
I run an M&P with a APEX FSS. it is both my 3-gun pistol and as my primary CCW. Hated the stock trigger from the get go, and the FSS is pretty close to my Colt Gold Cup's trigger weight.

Do you have a thumb safety? I was contemplating a M&P with the FSS but thought it may be dangerous without a TS for carry.

Mauser KAR98K
01-01-12, 10:57
Do you have a thumb safety? I was contemplating a M&P with the FSS but thought it may be dangerous without a TS for carry.

Oh, yeah, I have a TS on it, always engaged. Big hold over from my 1911 shooting. Only reason why I have the FSS on my heater.