PDA

View Full Version : Few Questions about Colt 6933 Commando

saddlerocker
12-28-11, 18:50
First off, is Clyde Armory the only place to buy these?
Any chance Grant will be able to get them in the future? I remember there was one type of Colt that only Clyde's had for along time, but now other dealers stock them.

Also, we hear that the LE rollmark is replaced by the SP rollmark.
Does this mean that the 6933 will soon have the SP rollmark? The ones in stock at Clyde's say LE apparently (Makes no difference to me, just wondering about the future of this firearm)

And finally, does anyone know if the gasport is the same size on the 6933 as it is on the 6921 and 6920?
For that matter are carbine gas ports from quality manufacturers all the same, no matter the barrel length?

Is the Commando literally the same as a 9620 or 6921 only with an 11.5" barrel?
No different rollmark, same gas port size, does it come with an H or carbine buffer?
Just curious if cutting a $950 6920 down to 11.5" would produce the same gun as a $1300 6933

I would like my next AR to be a SBR, either a 12.5" kino style build, or maybe just a Colt Commando with Magpul gear, hence the questions...

Thanks

The_War_Wagon
12-28-11, 19:02
Nice to see someone else from da' 'Burgh with good taste in AR's. I'm going to Ace tomorrow - want me to check there? ;)

Col_Crocs
12-28-11, 19:05
Gas port size corresponds to barrel length/dwell time. The shorter the dwell time the larger the port is, to allow the optimum volume of gas to cycle the system. The 11.5 6933 will have a larger port than the 6920 and 21. Exactly what size it is, I dont know. One thing's for sure, it wont be over gassed.
If you can get a good price on it, I say go for it.

saddlerocker
12-28-11, 19:24
Nice to see someone else from da' 'Burgh with good taste in AR's. I'm going to Ace tomorrow - want me to check there? ;)

hey WW, yeah if you could look, thatd be great, although I doubt the price would be reasonable.
Honestly, I kind of wrote them off after I tried to support the LGS and paid $550 after taxes and fees ect.. for an M&P9 that was $420 online, and poor service imo.

saddlerocker
12-28-11, 19:25
Gas port size corresponds to barrel length/dwell time. The shorter the dwell time the larger the port is, to allow the optimum volume of gas to cycle the system. The 11.5 6933 will have a larger port than the 6920 and 21. Exactly what size it is, I dont know. One thing's for sure, it wont be over gassed.
If you can get a good price on it, I say go for it.

Ok, thank you,
That is what I had suspected from reading, but wasnt 100% sure

Jack_Bauer
01-03-12, 11:04
My understanding was that the Colt barrels at least the 14.5" and 11.5" were all the same size gas port.

Moltke
01-03-12, 11:12
As for what the future holds, I don't know. Colt is changing their rollmarks around but if you want an 11.5 inch AR, the M4LE 6933 is a great option.

Bret
03-18-12, 18:03
Also, we hear that the LE rollmark is replaced by the SP rollmark.
Does this mean that the 6933 will soon have the SP rollmark? The ones in stock at Clyde's say LE apparently (Makes no difference to me, just wondering about the future of this firearm)
I ordered my 6933 from Clyde's a couple of months ago. When I was there I took a look at the display model. It had the LE only marking on the magazine well. When they pulled out a new one in the box for me to buy, it didn't have the LE marking on the magazine well. Also, both rifles had the new style of buttstock. I can't wait until I can actually take it home.

usmcvet
03-18-12, 19:11
Their website states the LE serial number is still there but the LE Only marking/restriction is gone. http://clydearmory.com/colt-le6933-11-5.html

Doesn't matter either way to me but I've read some agencies require the LE only markings in their policy.

saddlerocker
03-18-12, 23:50
I still havnt set aside the money for this project, but although id love to have the Colt, I cant justify the cost, especially when I will want to replace things right off the bat.

I can build a BCM with the stock, grip and handguard/rail I want for less. Plus I might go for 12.5"

Maybe If I get a better job a 6933 will be in my future someday.

rob_s
03-19-12, 04:04
Nobody but Colt makes a Colt. If money is tight, the BCM is the next best thing IMO.

I have not measured mine yet (I have two, and the correct pin gauges to measure vs. the typical "I stuck my penis in and it fit so it must be 0.065 in. gas port" method) but I do not expect the gas port on an 11.5" barrel to be the same as a 14.5" or a 16". That doesn't even make sense.

Recent 6933 buyers on this site have posted that theirs came with the new Rogers stock, which I think is an utter abortion. But if you're changing anyway...

Clyde is not the only place to get them. They were at one time, also were at one time the only place to get the 6720, but not anymore. A local shop here in Miami has them for ~$1k I believe. One of my coworkers bought one from them.

03-20-12, 18:26
Rob-Want to pick up another 6933; can I get the number of the shop that has them for approx. $1K? I can only find "like new" ones for approx. $1.2K.

rob_s
03-20-12, 19:14
Rob-Want to pick up another 6933; can I get the number of the shop that has them for approx. $1K? I can only find "like new" ones for approx. $1.2K.

It's Lou's Police Supply in Miami. Price may have gone up, but it was $1k not too long ago.