PDA

View Full Version : New M4 owner, First time shooting out of the box

Mcolabella
12-28-11, 20:14
I am a new owner of a Colt SP6920 M4, as I have never owned gun like this I am hoping for some suggestions what I should do, and or look for. thanks for your help

GeorgiaBoy
12-28-11, 20:17
Good choice on the 6920.

Simply buy some ammo, magazines, and lube, then shoot!

Do you have a purpose for this gun? Home defense? Competition? Or just to have? If its the last thing, AR15.com might be a better place to go. We are more geared here for the serious use of M4's.

just a scout
12-28-11, 20:17
FWIW, go to the range, zero it and shoot it before you start putting stuff on it. Play with other people's rifles and see what works and what you like before investing money in it. I've gone through 5 or 6 different optics before settling on an ACOG. Played with lights, hand guards, etc. The only things that went on and haven't changed is a MAgpul MOE grip and ACS stock. Everything else has moved or been switched out one time or another.

fixit69
12-28-11, 20:45
You have a good piece of gear. Buy ammo, magazines. Then shoot, clean, repeat.

After you do this, you will have a better idea about what you think you want to do. Research an use the search button. Makes life easier and faster for you.

Mcolabella
12-28-11, 21:11
I plan on shooting it, at the range, and hunting so to speake not going to sit in the closet, and home defense, I have an 30-06, so do I clean it like I clean it, and should I clean it before I shoot it. I bought 60 rounds of 5.556 50 gr of winchester any other recomandations for ammo

Fenix1442
12-28-11, 21:19
You can try different grains of ammo to see which brand/type that your rifle likes to shoot. Example for best groups and reliability.

Have fun and be safe.

45C
12-28-11, 21:50
You should always clean a new weapon before you shoot it.

TOM1911
12-28-11, 21:55
Nice pick of manufaturer.. I have the same model. Like the others have said, get some ammo, mags and get out to the range... Then, seek out some training if you're serious about it's use.. The accessories will come in due time as you progress as a shooter of the platform.. Enjoy your Colt product.

BCmJUnKie
12-28-11, 22:14
I am a new owner of a Colt SP6920 M4, as I have never owned gun like this I am hoping for some suggestions what I should do, and or look for. thanks for your help

This should have been posted PRIOR to your purchase.

The end with the hole is the business end

The "Business end" goes AWAY from you.

Bullets go in the metal "Box" thingy and you make it work by pulling the thingy at the back (its hidden so bad guys cant use it against you)

Pull the little tiny stick to distribute bullets accordingly

If you hear the audible "BANG" you know you did it right

saddlerocker
12-28-11, 22:23
There are threads on proper cleaning of the AR, there are things you will have to differently and look for when cleaning.

Your rifle has a 1:7" twist, meaning those 50gr might shoot ok, but 55gr-77gr will probably be better.

Keep the Bolt and carrier rails well lubed. The rifle doesnt NEED cleaned very often. Some people like to anyways, and thats fine, but it can go 1,000 rounds easy without cleaning, just re-lubing the BCG

Lots of info around, read the stickied threads in each section for the important stuff.

GeorgiaBoy
12-28-11, 22:30
An advice on ammo: Your shooting a weapon that uses a military round. Since your new to this platform and shooting these guns, you might have the tendancy to buy expensive hunting ammo to shoot in it. You do not need to be buying $20 a box ammo.

NATO spec 5.56 can be found for as little as $5.50 per 20 round box. Search for Federal XM193, PMC Bronze or Xtac 5.56, ect.

You can find more mags for under $15. Bravo Company USA has Pmags (a "plastic" mag that is worth its weight in gold) for $17 or aluminum mags for $12.

Fr3EK
12-28-11, 22:30
As others have stated, read the stickies. They will tell you everything you want to know. If you decide in the future this is going to be your go-to gun I would also recommend you take some classes to learn the ins and outs of your rifle. Also, if you have questions, use the search button beforehand. If you do not see your answer feel free to post then.

Congrats on the Colt, it will serve you well.

wilson1911
12-28-11, 22:32
Read the stickies about 5 times each.

Watch the cleaning vids while cleaning your gun.

Go buy mil surplus ammo. wideners has great deals. 855 and 193

Order a bunch of pmags.

Learn your iron sights(get used to them) while searching for an optic. While you may never used them, they are always go to know.

Get a sling

Grant(G&R tactical) around here has some good prices on gear. I just ordered a t1 and a vickers sling from him.

Go shoot her !!!!!!

Jaysop
12-28-11, 22:34
Wow no reason to jump up this guys ass. I think what he ment is how does he go about being an effective shooter. Even if he doesn't want to be a speed operator or even if he got it jus to own one he might as well stick around and learn and contribute.
There's no reason to mock his lack of knowledge, might as well give them the link to ar15 is the welcome email.

I think you bought an excellent rifle and I'm sure you know that. Read all you can around here and learn from other peoples mistakes.
If your concidering upgrades I'd recommend a high quality optic of your preferred type and familiarize yourself with it first before rails and such.
Good luck and enjoy

Iraqgunz
12-28-11, 22:37
I would start here. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=79448

Then I would clean the weapon and lube it. Then go out and shoot it.

wetidlerjr
12-29-11, 05:49
Bullets go in the metal "Box" thingy and you make it work by pulling the thingy at the back (its hidden so bad guys cant use it against you)

Everyone here is always so helpful. :D

Apricotshot
12-29-11, 07:07
Find a reputable Instructor and take a class.

rob_s
12-29-11, 08:00

Exactly.

I have not personally trained with any finer instructor for the new shooter than Randy Cain of Cumberland Tactics (http://www.guntactics.com/). (you can look at my website to see who else I've trained with). This is NOT a slight against anyone else, it is simply my opinion. The other instructors I've trained with are all good at something, Randy simply happens to be the best at instruction in the fundamentals.

You can read an article I wrote about Randy's Carbine 1 class in the July 2011 SWAT Magazine (http://digital.swatmag.com/SWAT/2011/SWAT1107/).

Barring that, I would suggest taking an introductory course with one of the Vickers Shooting Method Regional Endorsed Instructors (http://vickerstactical.com/larry-vickers-regional-endorsed-instructors/). "VSM REI" for short. I "know" many of them, and have heard excellent feedback regarding virtually all of them.

30 cal slut
12-29-11, 11:20

Agreed.

Mcolabella
12-29-11, 19:52
Thanks for all the imput, I am going to seek out a class/training.I did not mean to insult any of the seasoned profesionals/military/law enforcement with my questions,

TOM1911
12-30-11, 01:17
This is the thread to ask the questions you seek answers to.. No fault in that. At least you have the presence of mind to ask questions and advice from the wealth of info on this site. I don't believe you have insulted anyone by your inquiries. A good few weeks of reading the stickies and then availing yourself of instruction by a well vetted pro instructor will do more for your skillset then buying yourself broke on the latest and greatest gimmickry out there. Trigger time under careful supervision will garner the most desirable results.

agr1279
12-30-11, 05:16
I plan on shooting it, at the range, and hunting so to speake not going to sit in the closet, and home defense, I have an 30-06, so do I clean it like I clean it, and should I clean it before I shoot it. I bought 60 rounds of 5.556 50 gr of winchester any other recomandations for ammo

Right now you can find Federal XM855 in 420 round cans for around $149.00. It is a good choice for any AR-15/M-4.

Dan

madkow
01-16-12, 15:41
Another benefit of organized professional training, is the wealth of first hand knowledge from a wide variety of people(students included). When it comes to gear and weapon accessories, the ability to see/try it before buying it, because someone there has it. You will get end user reviews and might find a good deal on top of it all.

Getting good training on the basics and the ability to practice repetition will serve you well in the long run

francobx22
01-16-12, 22:19

FWIW- invest in taking some classes and building a knowledge base about the weapon and you will be good.. I would run the gun as is for a while until you start adding and changing stuff to it.

Knowledge goes a long way.

RogerinTPA
01-23-12, 16:51

You should clean any newly acquired weapon, while looking for anything defective or out of place. Then lube the BCG & Bolt generously. Don't worry about cleaning it after every range session, unless thats your thing, but it isn't necessary. Keeping the bolt and BCG well lubed is sufficient enough. Please read all of the stickies pertaining to your weapon. Use the yellow search button at the top to do more research.

Thanks for all the imput, I am going to seek out a class/training.I did not mean to insult any of the seasoned profesionals/military/law enforcement with my questions,

No offense taken. Just read the stickies. I suggest getting 10 to 12 quality mags (NHMTG with MagPul followers or Pmags will do) and good lube (Froglube, Weapons Shield, and Slip EWL, are probably the best out there). A DVD from Magpul, Vickers Tactical or similar video on YouTube, on the basics of weapons manipulation, zeroing ( a 50 or 100 yard zero will do), and maintenance, so you will at least have a clue, then practice. As others have stated, take a good basic AR class from a reputable instructor.

pmarc
01-23-12, 18:12
Remember and ALWAYS PRACTICE the 4 golden safety rules.

If that is good enough for people in combat, it is good enough for you.

45auto
01-30-12, 21:29

Cute. :sarcastic:

JackFanToM
01-30-12, 23:00
This may be a helpful thread for you

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?1613-FAQ-s-BASIC-INSPECTIONS-AND-PROCEDURES

madkow
01-31-12, 23:41
That is a good resource. Thank you for posting, I haven't been there for a while.