PDA

View Full Version : lowest recoil tactical semiauto?????

jmoore
12-08-07, 19:29
Following re-attachment surgery, my retinal surgeon put the nix on shooting shotguns - especially the pump I used to have. (That's why I bought my first AR a few months back - very low recoil.) I'm toying with a semiauto shotty - perhaps to allow me to shoot 3 gun matches. (After approval from the surgeon and the "boss" :)

So - I'm looking for a shotgun that would have the lowest possible recoil, and still have tactical application.

Any & all suggestions greatly appreciated.

Dport
12-08-07, 21:20
I've shot the Benelli M4 and M1 and the Remington 1100. Of the three the 1100 had the least recoil in my opinion.

Buck
12-09-07, 02:36
So - I'm looking for a shotgun that would have the lowest possible recoil, and still have tactical application.

If you want a gun for the games that has the lightest possible recoil it depends on your budget… I can think of a few different ways to go but some of them would be a little pricy…

A rock solid way to go for a reasonable cost would be to purchase a well used Remington 1100 in 20 gauge built on the 12 gauge magnum steel receiver with any barrel…

- Strip the gun down and have the receiver and magazine tube parkerized and the trigger pack, bolt / carrier, and gas rings inspected
- Remington factory 20 inch, 20 gauge IC barrel with rifle sights
- Remington factory tactical bolt latch
- Tac star 20 gauge side saddle and three shot magazine extension
- Youth model, speed feed mark IV stock and the LaFrance mercury recoil reducer for your 1100, 12 gague frame
- Standard speed feed 20 gauge 1100 forearm
- MI or GG&G rear receiver fixed sling point and use the Uncle Mikes GI spec front swivel that fits your tac star extension.
- BlueForce or V-Tac padded sling

If you want to sell of the original barrel for a few $$$ that would be fine, or have it parkerized to match and keep it for use as a hunting barrel…

That would give you a well rounded gun with very little felt recoil that you could use for home defense, play the games with, or take on a turkey shoot…

Just my .02

Buck

TY44934
12-11-07, 22:34
The gas-operated guns offer the lowest recoil.

My choice is now made under 3 company names, but is essentially the same gun:

-Winchester Super X-2 / FN SLP / Browning Gold.

A close competitor are the version of the Remington 1100 and 1187. The one you want was called the "Competition Master" but I think they changed ot to something gay like "tactical"

I would also take a look at the new Mosberg semi auto - it looks like the X-2 slightly, but I think the operating system is different.

Barry in IN
12-12-07, 09:57
If you are OK with a 20, I like Buck's suggestion of a 20 ga 1100. He's right about finding one on the 12 ga frame, as the LT20s run around a pound less than comparable 12 ga models.
I had a 20 ga 1100 LT20 Youth Synthetic, and found that weight reduction just about cancels out the recoil reduction.

Of course, you can always add weight. Filling the hollow stock of an LT20 1100 Youth Synthetic with #8 shot would probably make a mild kicker.

But the problem with a 20 is lack of buckshot sizes. If you want 3B, you're in luck, otherwise, pickins are slim.
Brenneke slugs are easy enough to find in 20, though!

ptm76
12-12-07, 21:33
Saiga 12 with a poly-choke.

novashooter
01-04-08, 19:02
FN SLP Mark I- This gun is incredibly soft! The benelli kicks like a mule and I dont know enough about Remingtons to speak of them.

FN Rocks!!!!

KG4LHO
01-04-08, 22:08
So the Benelli/HK guns recoil harder than the 1100? I was looking for an M1-90 but knowing how a 12ga 1100 hits I think I will pass. The only 1100 I have shot, recoiled harder than my 870 Wingmaster/Scattergun Tech with the same shells. I am not a fan of the 1100 because of the recoil. Now, the softest shooting shotgun I have is a 20ga Winchester 1400. Maybe a little heavier than the 1100 but I can shoot clays all day and not know it in the morning. However, I would not trust it in a defense platform, it is not dependable enough. Wes

rhino
01-04-08, 22:37
So the Benelli/HK guns recoil harder than the 1100?

Uh, yeah. A LOT more. I can't tell much difference between a Benelli M1S90 and a pump gun like an 870. If you want to minimize recoil, a Benelli is not the place to start.

For minimal recoil, the Remington 1100 is definitely the way to go. A 20ga would be even better, and you can get Choate to make you an extended mag tube to hold as many as you like. You should also get the forcing cone extended, which helps with patterning in addition to reducing recoil a bit. If you don't mind shooting in open division, porting and a good compensator can do wonders.

I have a race 1100 12ga built by Darrel Stonebraker when he was still building guns. The compensator and other mods on it make it very soft shooting ... especially with slugs. I don't shoot it much since I shoot in tactical division, but it's pretty much the king of soft shooting 12ga shotguns.

Face_N_The_Crowd
01-12-08, 21:20
You need to go find the heaviest gas operated gun you can if you are really looking for the least recoil. About the worst you could get for recoil would be a Benelli.

Good luck

f.2
02-23-08, 15:26
zzzzz