PDA

View Full Version : Army trials 2012 side arm

Robryan
12-29-11, 00:27
On several blogs they are saying the Army is looking at having trials for a new side arm. This comes up every once in awhile. If true what side arm would you pick.

I have several pistols at home I think a 9mm or 45 acp is fine but if I was in the Army I would go with a FN-5.7x28, I know the stopping power comes in question but the reason I would pick it is that it is the only pistol using military ammo that can penetrate the protective vest that many soldiers wear. What good is a 9mm, 45 ACP going to do it it can't penetrate there vest, please don't tell me that they should just go with a head shots. What would you pick and why.

Clobbersauras
12-29-11, 00:34
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb299/DoubleJayAlum/not_this_shit_again.jpg

Iyyobr
12-29-11, 02:11
I'm getting rid of my FiveseveN tomorrow to fund a PPQ. I think if they also swapped there ARs for P90s the Fiveseven would be viable but I just don't see them sending anything that won't save them money. Its a great round with amazing potential and hard to beat 20 round standard but its also a very expensive pistol. With that said I think the PPQ or a glock as a good option. I only wish the fiveseven would go more mainstream making prices more reasonable for the average consumer

Robryan
12-29-11, 02:59
I'm getting rid of my FiveseveN tomorrow to fund a PPQ. I think if they also swapped there ARs for P90s the Fiveseven would be viable but I just don't see them sending anything that won't save them money. Its a great round with amazing potential and hard to beat 20 round standard but its also a very expensive pistol. With that said I think the PPQ or a glock as a good option. I only wish the fiveseven would go more mainstream making prices more reasonable for the average consumer

Can't argue with you, Fn Herstal makes some very good weapons but I don't think they support the civilian market like they should, even though I heard they have good warranty service.There Scar-17 hasn't had magazines available for a long time and if you can find one it is around 100 dollars.
IMO the army needs to move away from pistols that will not defeat soft body armor and the 45 ACP, 9mm and most common rounds will not do it why do they keep insisting on using rounds that were developed over 100 years ago.

deadlyfire
12-29-11, 04:13
Can't argue with you, Fn Herstal makes some very good weapons but I don't think they support the civilian market like they should, even though I heard they have good warranty service.There Scar-17 hasn't had magazines available for a long time and if you can find one it is around 100 dollars.
IMO the army needs to move away from pistols that will not defeat soft body armor and the 45 ACP, 9mm and most common rounds will not do it why do they keep insisting on using rounds that were developed over 100 years ago.

It would make the small arms STANAG pointless.:no:

Alaskapopo
12-29-11, 04:27
On several blogs they are saying the Army is looking at having trials for a new side arm. This comes up every once in awhile. If true what side arm would you pick.

I have several pistols at home I think a 9mm or 45 acp is fine but if I was in the Army I would go with a FN-5.7x28, I know the stopping power comes in question but the reason I would pick it is that it is the only pistol using military ammo that can penetrate the protective vest that many soldiers wear. What good is a 9mm, 45 ACP going to do it it can't penetrate there vest, please don't tell me that they should just go with a head shots. What would you pick and why.

For starters there is 9mm AP ammo out there for the military and it would do better at stopping someone than the 22 mag +p you speak of. Second most of the miltiary's threats are not wearing armor at all. I think the Glock 17 or 19 would be an ideal general issue pistol for the military.
Pat

Alaskapopo
12-29-11, 04:30

Swapping AR's for the P90 is insanely stupid. Nice gun but totally anemic cartridge. It was never designed to be a main line weapon.
Pat

Spiffums
12-29-11, 06:14
Till NATO changes calibers I doubt anything will change no matter how many trials they have.

Cosmo M3
12-29-11, 07:03
Another trial?

This will die off like the previous one

Gary1911A1
12-29-11, 07:14
I have to agree with another poster there just isn't the money and if there were it might be better spent on training.

GI_Jared
12-29-11, 07:51
I know that the M-9s in my unit were really worn looking, they did however still work good and they were still pretty accurate. If they did get a new pistol I would hope that it would be more of a compact design like the FNX-9 or Sig P229. There is no reason to be lugging around a full frame size pistol, because we should all still remember that it is meant to be a back up weapon.

I also think that they will still go with a DA/SA style because that is what the military will deem as the safest style of pistol for its soldiers to carry.

As for ammo, who knows, but my guess is that they stay with 9mm.

JSantoro
12-29-11, 08:30
stopping power

That phrase, right there...

Even if we hadn't already danced the "new service pistol" dance before, as would have been discovered with a proper Search of the forum, THAT phrase makes this rate a shut-down, in addition to giving me the first aneurysm of what appears to be many for the day.

If one can't get past using gun-rag terminology for concepts that DO NOT exist in rifle calibers, much less pistol calibers, then more reading needs to be done before threads are started, all willy-nilly.

Bob, I wholeheartedly recommend that you make an intense study of the Terminal Ballistics subforum to make inroads to expanding your mind regarding the [finger-quotes] stopping power [/finger-quotes] fallacy.