PDA

View Full Version : Holster Advice for Deploying Airman

bleeding.patriot
12-29-11, 08:45
I am wondering what the current sage advice is for carrying the M9 while wearing body armor. I have used leg holsters in the past and find them less than satisfactory. I suspect that folks that do this more often than me have probably found a better way.

I'm thinking a low profile holster mounted on my body armor might be the ticket. My only concern is interference with use of a carbine.

deadlyfire
12-29-11, 08:54
I am wondering what the current sage advice is for carrying the M9 while wearing body armor. I have used leg holsters in the past and find them less than satisfactory. I suspect that folks that do this more often than me have probably found a better way.

I'm thinking a low profile holster mounted on my body armor might be the ticket. My only concern is interference with use of a carbine.

I wouldn't feel comfortable making any suggestion without knowing what you would be doing over there.

Psalms144.1
12-29-11, 09:04
I don't care for vest mounted holsters, personally, since I find they get in the way of reloading (I use a rack of six single-stacked mags across the front of my kit). I also hate thigh rigs of any sort.

What I've found works well FOR ME is the use of a Safariland ALS holster on a 2" drop rig. This gets the holster well out of the way of my kit, and also allows me to retain my secondary when I dump kit for some period of time. If you get the Safariland holster with the QLS system, you can switch it with some ease from the belt to your vest for times when the stiff 2" drop is uncomfortable (sometimes this is an issue when riding in, and especially driving, vehicles).

Regards,

Kevin

deadlyfire
12-29-11, 09:06
I don't care for vest mounted holsters, personally, since I find they get in the way of reloading (I use a rack of six single-stacked mags across the front of my kit). I also hate thigh rigs of any sort.

What I've found works well FOR ME is the use of a Safariland ALS holster on a 2" drop rig. This gets the holster well out of the way of my kit, and also allows me to retain my secondary when I dump kit for some period of time. If you get the Safariland holster with the QLS system, you can switch it with some ease from the belt to your vest for times when the stiff 2" drop is uncomfortable (sometimes this is an issue when riding in, and especially driving, vehicles).

Regards,

Kevin

+2 Safariland ALS

bleeding.patriot
12-29-11, 09:11
I wouldn't feel comfortable making any suggestion without knowing what you would be doing over there.

I'm still trying to figure that out myself. The AF provides just in time training for deployers based on the position they have been assigned to. I have been scheduled to attend the training normally reserved for folks doing duty outside the wire. That is all I know at this point.

Psalms144.1
12-29-11, 09:19
I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but, unless you're in a specialty position, it's unlikely that you'll have both a primary (M4) and a secondary (M9)

Most of the USAF folks I've seen walking around have been armed with M16A2 OR M9, not M4 & M9...

Regards,

Kevin

bleeding.patriot
12-29-11, 09:32
I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but, unless you're in a specialty position, it's unlikely that you'll have both a primary (M4) and a secondary (M9)

Most of the USAF folks I've seen walking around have been armed with M16A2 OR M9, not M4 & M9...

Regards,

Kevin

That could very well be. I never touched a rifle during my last deployment to Iraq. That said, my reporting instructions say I must qualify and deploy with both M9 and M4 so I'm trying to be prepared.

Corse
12-29-11, 10:20
I deploy with both weapons. I was issued a Blackhawk leg holster, but use a Safariland. I have tried the vest, but with all the other crap i have to carry, there is no room.

snakedoctor
12-29-11, 10:35
Here's my pick.

http://www.tacticalholsters.com/product/XST/XST-Standard.html

SOWT
12-29-11, 11:54
That could very well be. I never touched a rifle during my last deployment to Iraq. That said, my reporting instructions say I must qualify and deploy with both M9 and M4 so I'm trying to be prepared.

What is your AFSC, and are you deploying in your AFSC?

I have seen Convoy Drivers issued both weapons, PRT members are training/using both weapons.

I have a hard time believing you don't know what you are going to do. Were you volun-told? or are you a volunteer?

TurretGunner
12-29-11, 12:19
What is your AFSC, and are you deploying in your AFSC?

I have seen Convoy Drivers issued both weapons, PRT members are training/using both weapons.

I have a hard time believing you don't know what you are going to do. Were you volun-told? or are you a volunteer?

Yea this screams POG. Being the AF already gives you a 99% prob you wont need a weapon for defense. If you dont know by now, then you prob wont need one.

If you have to haul around a m9 all day. I would look into safariland 6377 or 6378. The latter is the paddle holster. I personaly like the ^377 with a 1.5inch dropp off a belt. Thigh Holsters are for cockfags and very limitied situations you will need them. If your doing convoy opps or spending anytime in a vechicle, Mount one of these to the front of your vest. Anyone who said there isisnt enough room either wears XS or needs to move around some pouches.

Both of the above holsters are VERY well made and have a discreate retention devise . They go for $25-$45 on opticsplanet.

Microalign
12-29-11, 12:29
What ever you pick, do NOT get a SERPA.

Corse
12-29-11, 15:07
Well, I'm not sure what you have on your vest either, but if I carry all the crap I'm supposed to, there is no room unless I want to be as wide as I am tall.

Different gear for different missions.

TehLlama
12-29-11, 16:29
First, find out if it's an actual need, or if you can spend money on more relevant and handy items.

The recommendation would still be an ALS holster in almost all cases.

CAVDOC
12-30-11, 08:06
my advice is to make do with whatever the AF gives you for now. Even the old m12 flap holster is just the ticket for walking around base inside the wire ( we had a rifle rack for the long guns in every office and/or most guys padlocked the rifle to our bunks when not in use) being it is so much easier to move about on base with just the pistol.
It is VERY likely that when you get to your assigned base guys that were there will be leaving behind all manner of holsters and stuff and you can pick one up then.
The mag pouches designed for a single m4 mag will even fit a beretta as a makeshift holster that actually works pretty well.
Bear in mind shoulder holsters are handy for carrying a pistol on base but aren't very practical on the road. Also centcom regs require that it be a vertical not horizontal rig -again if you decide to go this way many spare rigs will be found on base when other troops rotate out.

JSantoro
12-30-11, 09:28
I would look into safariland 6377 or 6378. The latter is the paddle holster.

Point of order: The 6378 comes with both the paddle attachment (on the holster) AND the same belt attachment as the 6377. The holster bodies are exactly the same, with the only difference being the included mounts, which is rendered moot of one opts to use a UBL, a drop-leg, or whatever other mounting solution. One way or another, you're disassembling that puppy to do so, or you're not wearing it.

Also, thigh holsters are NOT for "cockfags."

An improperly fitted-to-the-shooter's-drawstroke thigh holster is for somebody that may not be aware of where the things are supposed to ride, or aware of how they'll impact their mobility, relative to their operational requirements, physiology, etc. This is regardless of any implied, nontraditional gender-role.

Lord knows we've seen enough air-wingers and others who get their holster-fitment guidance from watching "Tombstone," but let's be realistic. There's plenty of other folks wearing a drop-rig that have no problems with turret-rings, hatches, car doors, etc., and can freakin' embarrass any one of us on a range, on demand.

There's a left and right side to any bell-curve graph, not just a middle.

RogerinTPA
12-30-11, 09:35

Regards,

Kevin

Agreed. A2s with all kinds of stupid 3 point slings, stock mag carries and no CCO/RDS.

Unless you're a CCT guy, most are FOBBETS with A2s and M9s. On the flip side, if in Bagram, you'll be happy to know that Pizza Hut and Popeyes have be reinstated...;)

Army Chief
12-30-11, 09:56
My current rig of choice is a Safariland 6004, modded to ride much higher than a conventional thigh holster, but still well below my body armor. A quick trip over to Military Moron's (http://www.militarymorons.com) site (1st line gear) will likely give you some good ideas on this, and other, options. I'll get around to an ALS eventually, but haven't yet found a compelling need to switch -- or more to the point, to spend the extra money.

AC

Armati
12-30-11, 10:18
I use the Govt Issue Safariland 6004. The new issue holsters come with the belt loop drop-offset piece. I use the drop-offset with the QLS system so I can move the pistol off my hip if I am in a vehicle for a long period of time.

http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/duty/qls.aspx

See the pic in the upper right hand corner.

TurretGunner
12-30-11, 11:53
Point of order: The 6378 comes with both the paddle attachment (on the holster) AND the same belt attachment as the 6377. The holster bodies are exactly the same, with the only difference being the included mounts, which is rendered moot of one opts to use a UBL, a drop-leg, or whatever other mounting solution. One way or another, you're disassembling that puppy to do so, or you're not wearing it.

Also, thigh holsters are NOT for "cockfags."

An improperly fitted-to-the-shooter's-drawstroke thigh holster is for somebody that may not be aware of where the things are supposed to ride, or aware of how they'll impact their mobility, relative to their operational requirements, physiology, etc. This is regardless of any implied, nontraditional gender-role.

Lord knows we've seen enough air-wingers and others who get their holster-fitment guidance from watching "Tombstone," but let's be realistic. There's plenty of other folks wearing a drop-rig that have no problems with turret-rings, hatches, car doors, etc., and can freakin' embarrass any one of us on a range, on demand.

There's a left and right side to any bell-curve graph, not just a middle.

Like i said outside of a very small window they are gear queer holsters. Anyone who has ever worn one knows how uncomfortable they are. Try running in one? Do some move to conract drills or have to run 1/2 mile with one flapping up and down. They are impractical and really not needed unless you have so much armor and shit on you that you cant use a belt holster or a chest holster.

Futhermore with the holsters I mentioned above, you can add a drop to it and wear it from a belt. This will allow clearence of Armor while still being high enough that it wont bang around as much when you have to unass.

AFGuy1227
12-30-11, 13:04
OP, holsters really come down to personal preference. You should find a sample of each holster you're considering and play with it if you can. I had a Serpa thigh and armor holster while in Iraq and never had problems with either. And I traveled a over central Iraq as a GSU/RSU team member.

But the best advice I can give you, foot stomp, is to PRACTICE,PRACTICE ,PRACTICE with what ever holster you get, it will do you no good if you can't get your firearm out of the holster when you need it. Take your gear to the back of a room and face the wall and practice drawing and re-holstering till you can do it without thinking about how to do it. Oh, and don't forget to clear and leave all ammo in a separate location.