PDA

View Full Version : 5.11 tactical Thumb Drive Holtser? experience/opinions?

mikeith
12-29-11, 11:20
I have been looking for a good holster that would be similar to the serpa holster without the safety issue and not being able to use it in some training classes.

I was about to give up when i came across these and thought it looked promising. but before i invest in one i would like to know what other people experiences are with it.

here is a video where it was "field tested" by viking tactics as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZRai9jbc20

http://www.policemag.com/_Images/news/POL-511thumbdrive-2.jpg

what do you guys think?

Omen
12-29-11, 12:02
I'd be interested in opinions as well since this is made by Bladetech and I like supporting local businesses.

h20man
12-29-11, 12:05
I wear one on duty with a Glock 23. I've had it for maybe a month or so. So far so good, I actually bought 2 of them from Cabelas. They were selling them for $28 a piece. It took a little of adjustment to get used to the thumbdrive and changing the way I drew the weapon. I find it to be very fast now and has been comfortable to wear. There is a thread about this holster with someone having problems obtaining the proper grip when drawing the weapon, I have not had any of those problems and highly reccomend the holster.

John Hearne
12-29-11, 15:18
I still think that the ALS system from Safariland is a better retention system. The motion used to deactivate the retention device forces the tang of the pistol higher into you hand. It actively promotes a better firing grip.

drck1000
12-29-11, 19:09
I bought one for my new G17. BladeTech and Raven were tops on my list, but the Thumbdrive was available locally and at a good price so I went with it. It's made by BladeTech for 5.11, so that was a plus.

I don't need a retention holster, but so far it's quite easy to draw from. I like that it's a little offset and dropped, which I assume is to fit the thumbdrive lever and mechanism. However, I like that the drop and offset keeps the pistol a little farther from my side. CCW is not allowed where I live, so concealment wasn't on my list of desireable features.

My use isn't punishing or heavy duty by any means though. I will be using this holster for training and hopefully for USPSA events. I still have to verify that it is acceptable for use in the local club events.

SWATcop556
12-30-11, 03:38
While I hold Kyle Lamb and VTAC in very high regards I do not like this holster. IMO the Safariland ALS is superior in damn near every way. The Thumbdrive is better than most other options if retention is needed though.

Good call on ditching the Slurpa. It's just a step above "Mexican carry" but I would still have to think about which to go with.

Give the ALS a look. Bought my last one from HolsterOps. Give them a call as they may have the model you need in stock. Only ordered with them once but the CS was excellent.

Abraxas
12-30-11, 06:49
While I hold Kyle Lamb and VTAC in very high regards I do not like this holster. IMO the Safariland ALS is superior in damn near every way. The Thumbdrive is better than most other options if retention is needed though.

Good call on ditching the Slurpa. It's just a step above "Mexican carry" but I would still have to think about which to go with.

Give the ALS a look.
This mirrors my opinion on the subject 100%

Failure2Stop
12-30-11, 09:46
I still think that the ALS system from Safariland is a better retention system. The motion used to deactivate the retention device forces the tang of the pistol higher into you hand. It actively promotes a better firing grip.

This.
I would even take an SLS Safariland over it.
There are inherent issues with the spring-loaded bail that I don't want to deal with again.

voiceofreason
01-02-12, 20:51
I bought a Thumbdrive for testing purposes.

It is a very good holster. The gun WILL NOT come out of the holster without the button being pressed first.

Problem is, if by operator error the gun is pulled slightly upward as the button is pressed, the gun will not come out and must be pressed back downward and the button pushed again before the gun can be drawn. Scary if you need the gun out in a hurry.

I would recommend the Safariland ALS system over the Thumbdrive personally. More progressive people than I recommend the ALS without the SLS, and I may be moving in that direction... but for retention from weapons grab, the SLS + ALS if far better than just the ALS.

For weapons retention, I'd place the Thumbdrive in between. I just worry about getting it to clear when I need it to.

The thigh shroud is not nearly as comfortable as the Safariland 6004 type, but it's not bad.

If anyone wishes to pick up a lightly used Thumbdrive w/ belt slide, paddle, offset, and thigh shroud, PM me.

$80 for everything shipped.

drck1000
01-03-12, 01:39

Give the ALS a look. Bought my last one from HolsterOps. Give them a call as they may have the model you need in stock. Only ordered with them once but the CS was excellent.

This.
I would even take an SLS Safariland over it.
There are inherent issues with the spring-loaded bail that I don't want to deal with again.

SWATcop556 & F2S - What non-retention Safariland holster would you recommend? I don't need retention feature for my use. Safariland has so many options. I was initially thinking primarily Raven Concealment or BladeTech, with the edge to BladeTech because they offer a drop & offset feature (for comfort) and concealed carry is not allowed where I live anyways. But it seems like Safariland holsters are almost always recommended, but I am not sure if that's primarily for their retention systems. My use will be for carbine/pistol training classes and USPSA events.

F2S - One more question about the Thumbdrive. What problems have you encountered with the spring-loaded bail? Did it get jammed up with dirt/debris? Did it otherwise fail? Just curious.

As for the Thumbdrive holster, I've been practicing the draw with it quite a bit. I still have the occasional, albeit rare, hang-up where I don't depress the lever all the way before pulling up on the gun. Still deciding if I should replace it.

John Hearne
01-03-12, 14:06
but for retention from weapons grab, the SLS + ALS if far better than just the ALS.

If you want extra security on the ALS, Safariland is making a "mini-hood" that just covers the ALS button. Seems like a better system that the "press anywhere" SLS.

SWATcop556
01-04-12, 12:30
SWATcop556 & F2S - What non-retention Safariland holster would you recommend? I don't need retention feature for my use. Safariland has so many options. I was initially thinking primarily Raven Concealment or BladeTech, with the edge to BladeTech because they offer a drop & offset feature (for comfort) and concealed carry is not allowed where I live anyways. But it seems like Safariland holsters are almost always recommended, but I am not sure if that's primarily for their retention systems. My use will be for carbine/pistol training classes and USPSA events.

If retention is not needed then I would recommend going with the RCS gear. Very well worth the wait and possibly the best CS in the business. Tom and Michael are both members here and you can PM them with any questions. Tom usually gets back with me within that same day on any questions I have.

Failure2Stop
01-04-12, 13:59

If you don't need retention and want the holster to cover an array of applications that include real-world carry I would recommend one of the current kydex companies such as PSS or Raven. There are some really good smaller companies out there as well that are more flexible and with shorter lead times, such as Dark Star Gear.

F2S - One more question about the Thumbdrive. What problems have you encountered with the spring-loaded bail? Did it get jammed up with dirt/debris? Did it otherwise fail? Just curious.

Jammed/blocked bail. Really prefer the 6004 if I need that level of retention as at least I know if the bail is blocked while I depress the hood. There is a time loss associated with the 6004 when compared to a thumb-button spering loaded affair of ALS, but it is tough and effective.
To be clear, I was using another manufacturer's holster, not the 5.11.

glocktogo
01-04-12, 14:10
Another satisfied ALS user here. I liked the 1st one so much, I bought two more.

drck1000
01-04-12, 14:46
If retention is not needed then I would recommend going with the RCS gear. Very well worth the wait and possibly the best CS in the business. Tom and Michael are both members here and you can PM them with any questions. Tom usually gets back with me within that same day on any questions I have.

Thank you SWATcop556! I PM'ed both Tom and Michael and Tom responsed SUPER quick! I inquired about the Phantom holster and my particular intended uses and he provided honest and frank feedback that he believed that their product may not suit my needs the best and that I was looking at applications that were beyond their niche. Tom did provide suggestions for other products that may be better, which I thought was aweome.

Awesome CS indeed and will look to them if I am ever in need of a concealment holster and possibly for their magazine carriers.

If you don't need retention and want the holster to cover an array of applications that include real-world carry I would recommend one of the current kydex companies such as PSS or Raven. There are some really good smaller companies out there as well that are more flexible and with shorter lead times, such as Dark Star Gear.

Jammed/blocked bail. Really prefer the 6004 if I need that level of retention as at least I know if the bail is blocked while I depress the hood. There is a time loss associated with the 6004 when compared to a thumb-button spering loaded affair of ALS, but it is tough and effective.
To be clear, I was using another manufacturer's holster, not the 5.11.

Thank you F2S! As mentioned above, I contacted RCS and their feedback was that their products were probably not the best for my intended uses. I was trying to get a concealment holster to also function for use off of a duty belt and for competition. That instead of a jack-of-all trades and master of none, that I would be better off with perhaps two or three different holsters depending on the use.

I'll give the 5.11 Thumbdrive some time, but will also look into the Safariland SLS or ALS for carbine courses and possibly another non-retention holster for competition use. For a concealment holster, if I ever need one, will likely be Raven.

Thanks again!

gamewarden
01-08-12, 12:16
This. I am testing this for my new duty holster...6390 w/x300, coming from a 6360 w/x300.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INB3xfAtUjU