PDA

View Full Version : Mounting rear iron further up on the rail? Benefits?

das028
12-29-11, 23:06
What's going on fellas. I picked up a few gun magazines the other day (the reading type), and I noticed an M4 with its rear iron sight mounted more towards the front of the rail rather then the rear. It was about lined up with the front of the trigger gaurd. I thought it was interesting. Have any of you guys seen anybody run there irons this way? If so what do you think the benefit is having it in that position. Being curious I mounted my rear iron sight around that position. I could see follow up shots being faster, but for me the smaller sight app used for more precision shooting is useless ib that position. The company was called Head Down, and they seem to make some quality stuff. I know the used a lot of Magpul components. Actually I think the rear iron they used was a Magpul.

Alaskapopo
12-30-11, 05:26
What's going on fellas. I picked up a few gun magazines the other day (the reading type), and I noticed an M4 with its rear iron sight mounted more towards the front of the rail rather then the rear. It was about lined up with the front of the trigger gaurd. I thought it was interesting. Have any of you guys seen anybody run there irons this way? If so what do you think the benefit is having it in that position. Being curious I mounted my rear iron sight around that position. I could see follow up shots being faster, but for me the smaller sight app used for more precision shooting is useless ib that position. The company was called Head Down, and they seem to make some quality stuff. I know the used a lot of Magpul components. Actually I think the rear iron they used was a Magpul.

Not a good thing as it slows you down the further the apature sight is from your eye.
Pat

markm
12-30-11, 07:03
Don't pick up gun magazines. Probably David Fortier's brilliant Idea for his Piston gun. :rolleyes:

It's pretty funny that gunowners should avoid gun magazines and gun stores if they want to avoid stupidity. :p

sadmin
12-30-11, 07:53
"it's like raaaiiiiaaaannnn on your wedding day..."

kmrtnsn
12-30-11, 10:49
My work rifle has a Matech rear sight and an Eotech (I didn't pick'em and can't change'em). That eff'in Matech is a glasses destroyer if you run nose to charging handle, so I bumped it forward a couple of notches on the rail. My apertures are a little smaller, no big deal.

kmrtnsn
12-30-11, 10:51
Don't pick up gun magazines. Probably David Fortier's brilliant Idea for his Piston gun. :rolleyes:

It's pretty funny that gunowners should avoid gun magazines and gun stores if they want to avoid stupidity. :p

I thought Tactical Response was a decent, no BS magazine for L.E. until I got this months issue with an AK with Tapco rails and a cheap Chinese holosight being tooted as the next big thing for patrol; no thanks.

High Tower
12-30-11, 10:52
Probably just a photo op thing set up by a photographer who doesn't know any better.

In most cases, I would say its a weird idea.

Dave L.
12-30-11, 11:13

It's funny because it's true :lol:

Failure2Stop
12-30-11, 11:40

No kidding.

markm
12-30-11, 11:56
The upside is that if you move the REAR sight all the way forward, your sights are easier to line up!! :D

Knife_Sniper
12-30-11, 12:10
A small peep aperature relies on your eye being close to the hole.

When you look through the rear peep your focus broadens. Your ability to focus on things both near and far when using the peep increases thereby allowing you to focus on the front sight while retaining the sharpness of the target.

It won't work if it sits half way down the rail.

ra2bach
12-30-11, 13:22
Head Down is a local company and I got to look at some of their initial offerings. I was not impressed for the money they were asking but I saw nothing startling.

now, putting a rear sight further away from your eye... that goes against everything that the aperture sight is designed for. guns that use a forward mounted rear sight do so for one reason - they have to - and these are notch or v-type sights, not apertures.

and I had hopes for this company... :rolleyes: