PDA

View Full Version : Want DD FSP rail for S&W M&P15 with delta ring and FSB

matemike
12-30-11, 11:57
After searching, I got some general ideas, but could not find my exact situation. Apologies in advance if this is a repost.

I have a Smith and Wesson M&P 15 with a delta ring and fixed front sight base. I would like to get a rail that gives me more rail space in front of my FSB. Purpose is to mout a surefire X300 at 12 o'clock forward of the front sight. I'm looking into the Daniel Defense FSP rails. Which one should I get to go with my delta barrel nut and fixed front sight base?

I do know I'll need to remove the delta ring, but the nut will stay and gas tube will be re-installed once the ring is removed.

altramagnus
12-30-11, 14:06
After searching, I got some general ideas, but could not find my exact situation. Apologies in advance if this is a repost.

I have a Smith and Wesson M&P 15 with a delta ring and fixed front sight base. I would like to get a rail that gives me more rail space in front of my FSB. Purpose is to mout a surefire X300 at 12 o'clock forward of the front sight. I'm looking into the Daniel Defense FSP rails. Which one should I get to go with my delta barrel nut and fixed front sight base?

I do know I'll need to remove the delta ring, but the nut will stay and gas tube will be re-installed once the ring is removed.

Someone will be along to correct me if I am wrong but both the Omega and RIS DD FSP rails use their own barrel nut.

You will need to remove the flash hider, FSB, delta ring and barrel nut. Install the DD barrel nut (need a DD barrel wrench sold separate) then follow the directions to finish the install.

I own the omega 12" FSP and I must say I love it.

Shawn

matemike
12-30-11, 21:55
Someone will be along to correct me if I am wrong but both the Omega and RIS DD FSP rails use their own barrel nut.

You will need to remove the flash hider, FSB, delta ring and barrel nut. Install the DD barrel nut (need a DD barrel wrench sold separate) then follow the directions to finish the install.

I own the omega 12" FSP and I must say I love it.

Shawn

Thank you Shawn (altramagnus),

That's what I needed to know, but that's not what I was hoping the answer would be. :(

I should be a little more clear. My FSB is one of those that is permanently fixed to the barrel. (as far as I can tell) It's not only pinned, but looks like part of the barrel itself. The parkerizing is all one in the same. It ain't coming off. So, without being able to remove the FSB, the barrel nut isn't coming off either. I can get the delta ring off via the snap ring. But, is there a rail that could use the delta barrel nut that's already in place?

Col_Crocs
12-30-11, 22:15
Centurion arms makes a good rail that mounts directly onto the standard barrel nut. Their site says they're set to release an FSP rail soon. You might want want to check with them when It's due out.
For the record, i dont think your FSB is welded on or anything like that. It's just pinned and their park is probably just so consistent that things come out looking exactly the same in finish.

Iraqgunz
12-30-11, 23:25
Unless someone has welded your FSB to the barrel or you have some special model, the FSB should be attached via pins.

I highly suggest that you seek out someone competent to install the DD rail, as it will require you to remove the flash hider, the FSB and the barrel nut.

You will then use a DD barrel nut, reinstall the FSB and the flash hider.

Your other option is to buy a light mount from Mossie Tactics which will allow you to mount an X300 in front of the FSB without modifications.

Paladin801
12-31-11, 01:33
"Your other option is to buy a light mount from Mossie Tactics which will allow you to mount an X300 in front of the FSB without modifications. "

Iraqgunz, any idea when these will be made available ? Thanks for the heads up on this item that will cure many problems. Did a lot of searches and didn't see when it would be released. Thanks and keep your powder dry !

m4brian
12-31-11, 07:23
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=94835

Another FUTURE solution. The Centurion rails USE the M4 barrel nut You still may have to knock out the FSP pins to take the gas tube out, cut off the handguard rear cap and delta ring, and install ON the existing barrel nut. But, you don't have to take off the flash hider. Not as simple as IG's solution, but maybe a future option.

loganp0916
12-31-11, 07:35

Another FUTURE solution. The Centurion rails USE the M4 barrel nut You still may have to knock out the FSP pins to take the gas tube out, cut off the handguard rear cap and delta ring, and install ON the existing barrel nut. But, you don't have to take off the flash hider. Not as simple as IG's solution, but maybe a future option.

faliaphotography has a video on YouTube of her installing a centurion arms rail on her 14.5" bcm upper with pinned flash hider. You could use that for reference too. If you decide to go centurion of course.

Col_Crocs
12-31-11, 08:37

You can actually take off/cut off the delta ring and spring without taking the barrel off. A little tedious but not at all impossible. You can also take of the gas tube without tapping out the FSB. Ive done it a few times, it's pretty simple actually. Tap out roll pin, push tube into upper and out of the FSB, roll tube 90 degrees to clear FSB and pull tube forward and out of the upper. May take a little wiggling with a standard barrel nut before popping out but not a lot.
ETA: i forgot about the handguard cap. That needs to come off to mount the C4 rail too. Some guys here have done it without taking off the FSB as well.

m4brian
12-31-11, 09:04
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL12MQGQrPc

m4brian
12-31-11, 09:10
http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/tmc-1-light-mount-n-slot/

Iraqgunz
12-31-11, 11:29
I believe right after SHOT or sometime in Janurary according to the thread.

"Your other option is to buy a light mount from Mossie Tactics which will allow you to mount an X300 in front of the FSB without modifications. "

Iraqgunz, any idea when these will be made available ? Thanks for the heads up on this item that will cure many problems. Did a lot of searches and didn't see when it would be released. Thanks and keep your powder dry !

Paladin801
12-31-11, 14:17
Thanks Brother ! Arthritis had me up early on my post. I just did some more searching and found the info about around the Shot Show. Thanks again ! Merry New Year. Never say it can't get any worse. Looking forward to purchase of the product. Please PM me with contact info for you and froglube. Closest dist. was in Texas and not gonna bash anyone, you get the message. Thanks again and forgive me OP for getting off subject.