PDA

View Full Version : Leupold VX6 1-6 wish list?

ccoker
12-30-11, 13:28
I have been talking with the Leupold marketing manager and we are discussing the VX6 1-6 illuminated that is about to hit the streets soon.

This will be using the similar fiber optic illumination system as is in the VX-R firedots which I like.

Currently there is just a standard duplex or # 4 reticle.

I think it would do very well with the 3 gun and average guy that wanted a "tactical" scope that is 1-6 power in a scope that would sell for 800 or so street price.

If:
It had a BRIGHT center dot that was 1 MOA or 2 max
Some sort of holdover reticle that was not a BDC calibrated one.
Could be as simple as a Mildot or I think ideally a TMR type of reticle.

A custom shop reticle change could be made but they currently do not have a 6x calibrated mildot or TMR.

That may change with the new Mark 6 line but they will be 1500-2K price.

I would be happy to provide some feedback to them from the members of this board.

Thanks for your time

misanthropist
12-30-11, 17:24
Definitely with you on all the following points:

price point, check
BRIGHT 1-2 moa dot, check
holdover reticle, check

The one area where I would tend to disagree slightly is that I do not like mildot or tmr reticles as much as stripped-down BDC reticles. In my experience, I'm generally faster with a BDC reticle once I get it figured out at various ranges. Personally, I tend to be more accurate with a mildot or TMR type reticle, but I am slower and for me, a 1-6 would be about engaging targets fairly quickly from 5-500m.

Others may feel differently, of course. But my preference would be for something like, say, the IOR CQB-BDC reticle, or US Optics JPJ1.

A scope of this nature for Leupold is appealing to me because we have a warranty center for them up here in Canada. Sending tactical optics back and forth over US borders, even for repairs etc, is a big headache.

armakraut
12-30-11, 20:40
Wish... granted.

http://opticstalk.com/new-leupold-mark-6-mark-8-scopes-for-2013_topic31015.html

misanthropist
12-30-11, 21:12
Now I wish I asked for a million wishes instead of just a scope.

ccoker
12-30-11, 22:43
yeah, the Mark 6 lineup will have some nice option but those come with a price, liike a zero stop, exposed turrets, FFP, etc..

A lot of guys don't want to spend that much money...
and the Mark 6 lineup is all 34mm tubes, that would force most guys to have to upgrade mounts or rings whereas 30mm is pretty much the standard these days

glocktogo
12-30-11, 23:04
More overkill IMO. You're talking about an optic that will most likely be used at no more than 600yds, with most use at 300 or less. So why 34mm? Why all the unnecessary bulk, weight and cost for use on an AR that is going to be set up primarily for speed? It's not like you're really going to need 80moa of elevation range. Also, why a 20mm objective on a 34mm tube? Am I missing something?

I'd like to see a 1-6X with an illuminated dot in the 1-2moa range that can be bloomed in full sunlight, with a German #4 style reticle that added BDC marks for a 62-64gr at 16-18" barrel velocities (or possibly additional turrets for various 5.56 bullet weights & velocities), in a lightweight, compact 1" or 30mm tube.

Am I way off base here?

JohnnyC
12-31-11, 01:00
I'd just like to see enough product on the market from other manufacturers to bring the price of the Leupold stuff down. I think they're holding on to the fact that they're really the only game in town right now. The Mark 6 with the 5.56 reticle is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, but with the Swaro Z6i BRT at less than $2500 the Leupold better give me road head on the way to the range if it's any more expensive.

The only thing holding me back from jumping on the Z6i is the hope that Leupold will deliver at a price point more in line with what they should be selling for. Based on rumors I've heard, provided the quality is similar to a scaled down version of the Mk8, it should be able to give the Z6i a run for its money.

ccoker
12-31-11, 09:42
More overkill IMO. You're talking about an optic that will most likely be used at no more than 600yds, with most use at 300 or less. So why 34mm? Why all the unnecessary bulk, weight and cost for use on an AR that is going to be set up primarily for speed? It's not like you're really going to need 80moa of elevation range. Also, why a 20mm objective on a 34mm tube? Am I missing something?

I'd like to see a 1-6X with an illuminated dot in the 1-2moa range that can be bloomed in full sunlight, with a German #4 style reticle that added BDC marks for a 62-64gr at 16-18" barrel velocities (or possibly additional turrets for various 5.56 bullet weights & velocities), in a lightweight, compact 1" or 30mm tube.

Am I way off base here?

I don't think so....

ASH556
02-23-12, 17:33
Man, I just got off the phone with Leupold asking for the same thing. They told me to e-mail a gent. PM me for his address. Maybe we can get enough momentum moving to create this thing.

My thoughts:

Take a VX-6 and put the TMR/Firedot out of the VXR-partrol 3-9 in it (yes, it will need to be calibrated for 6X), and put .10 mil turrets in it...done. Price it around $800-$900 and you just won the game!

Nobody's making anything decent like this right now. The closest thing I can find is the USO 1.5-6. Face it, the MK6 is WAY over-engineered for most users. The fact that the MR/T is only 1.5-4.5 makes it suck. A true 1-6 with:

1) Nice, clean, Mil hash reticle
2) Illuminated Firedot
3) Turrets that match the reticle for those who want to dial

is a flat out winner.

Trunkmonkey4
02-23-12, 22:25
I am liking that set up ASH, I was glad to see more options in the 1-X world. Yet the price is still something that is a hard point for me, I dont really have the need for the fully loaded 1,500-2,000 scope.

The set up above sounds solid with me.

TehLlama
02-23-12, 22:31
I think it could be as simple as a 1MOA firedot, and a scaled down TMR reticle from the MR/T line.

I do think modular BDC matched turrets could still be a hit, and easy to manufacture, or just simple MIL turrets in .2MIL. .1Mil is too fine IMHO, for an optic with this low of magnification, I'd rather be able to quickly dial in adjustments.

I'm fine with a price in the $1600-$2000 range with the above feature set (probably with turrets set for Mk262 or Mk318; and backups for M118LR), but I'm also expecting something with Short Dot like utility at the low end, and something that compares favorably with their existing Mk4 MR/T line on the high end.

shootist~
02-23-12, 23:22
True 1.0 (1.1 OK) on the low end and true 6.0 on the high end. Not something else that's rounded up or down.

1 mil hash marks (heavy enough to see easily), & .1 mil elevation turret.

Covered low profile windage, finger adjustable clicks; same 0.1 mil.

MR/T quality glass.

Singlestack Wonder
02-24-12, 18:24
Deleted......Wrong Scope.

TehLlama
02-24-12, 20:58
Still falls in my range, and I'd rather they deliver the feature set they want to make it a winning optic, THEN let efficiencies of scale (manufacturing larger numbers) be what drives the cost down, instead of cutting features or quality when releasing the initial product.

Am I the only one who would prefer a more coarse adjustment for the Mil/TMR turret/reticle pairing? I wouldn't horribly mind making twice the clicks, as I suspect I'll seldom be using the turret (and rely instead on the TMR reticle to make holdovers), but is it that much better to have that adjustment be super fine?

ASH556
02-24-12, 21:49
The VXR patrol 1-4 already has .1 mil turrets. I don't think fine is a bad thing. Like you said, quick shots will be holds anyway and if you want to dial, precision is nice.

shootist~
02-24-12, 22:41
Still falls in my range, and I'd rather they deliver the feature set they want to make it a winning optic, THEN let efficiencies of scale (manufacturing larger numbers) be what drives the cost down, instead of cutting features or quality when releasing the initial product.

Am I the only one who would prefer a more coarse adjustment for the Mil/TMR turret/reticle pairing? I wouldn't horribly mind making twice the clicks, as I suspect I'll seldom be using the turret (and rely instead on the TMR reticle to make holdovers), but is it that much better to have that adjustment be super fine?

At .2 mils it would be .72"/click at 100 Yds. That would be a little too coarse, IMO. Also, it appears that SS Wonder was wrong on the higher pricing - per his edit.

Singlestack Wonder
02-25-12, 10:49
At .2 mils it would be .72"/click at 100 Yds. That would be a little too coarse, IMO. Also, it appears that SS Wonder was wrong on the higher pricing - per his edit.

Yes, I was referring to the new MK 6.

ASH556
02-25-12, 12:52
It sounds like that's what TeLlama is referring to as well. If you've got $2k to spend, that's your scope. If you can't spend $2K and don't need that feature set (34mm tube, locking turrets, BDC reticle, FFP) then a nice alternative would be a VX-6 1-6, 30mm, with TMR/Firedot reticle, .1 mil turrets (capped or CDS).

Really, any reticle with a constant, non-bdc hold pattern (mils) in a 1-6 scope would be a winner. I'd even give up the illumination for now. It just doesn't exist anywhere.

TehLlama
02-25-12, 15:11
It sounds like that's what TeLlama is referring to as well. If you've got $2k to spend, that's your scope. If you can't spend $2K and don't need that feature set (34mm tube, locking turrets, BDC reticle, FFP) then a nice alternative would be a VX-6 1-6, 30mm, with TMR/Firedot reticle, .1 mil turrets (capped or CDS).

Really, any reticle with a constant, non-bdc hold pattern (mils) in a 1-6 scope would be a winner. I'd even give up the illumination for now. It just doesn't exist anywhere.

Whereas I'd pay out the arse for one that meets your requirement, but has a good bright dot (KISS please Leupold) that will let it run well at 1x. Since that's likely to fall around the $2k mark with the above fancy features (FFP, locking turrets, and largest feasible objective).

What I'm trying to figure out is who actually wants a particular load tuned BDC reticle, outside of the option for a .mil contract where it's reasonable to expect only one load to be used (855A1 or Mk318)?

ASH556
02-25-12, 18:37
What I'm trying to figure out is who actually wants a particular load tuned BDC reticle, outside of the option for a .mil contract where it's reasonable to expect only one load to be used (855A1 or Mk318)?

And this, I believe, is hitting the proverbial nail on the head. I realize Leupold wants to win big military contracts, but it'd be nice if they'd listen to us civvy shooters as well. I linked this thread in the e-mail I sent. The response was something to the effect of, "thanks for your thoughts." :rolleyes:

ASH556
02-25-12, 19:47
Not to taint the waters too much, but my impatience is starting to get me thinking...

What if you get a standard VX-6 1-6 with #4 reticle and illuminated dot? The scope comes with one free CDS turret that Leupold builds to your rifle. I know the reticle still doesn't have holds, but haven't you effectively created a 1-6 short dot with a BDC turret? Carry laser range finder (from reading at snipershide, most consider ranging with the scope to be secondary to a LRF anyway) and you're in business.

Yes, no?

TehLlama
02-26-12, 15:17
Not to taint the waters too much, but my impatience is starting to get me thinking...

What if you get a standard VX-6 1-6 with #4 reticle and illuminated dot? The scope comes with one free CDS turret that Leupold builds to your rifle. I know the reticle still doesn't have holds, but haven't you effectively created a 1-6 short dot with a BDC turret? Carry laser range finder (from reading at snipershide, most consider ranging with the scope to be secondary to a LRF anyway) and you're in business.

Yes, no?

Even a bad BDC is still worlds better for fast shots - the biggest one is range estimation without having to remove muzzle from the threat - LRF is great, but unless you have a spotter (for a low powered variable equipped rifle...) I consider the ability to do some range estimation through the reticle to be a requirement in an optic like this.