PDA

View Full Version : Haley Strategic Adaptive Carbine and Handgun Courses Review

bowietx
12-30-11, 15:00
I have not posted on the website before and I am sure that there are those who will question my credentials and whether or not I am a plant. As for my credentials I have military experience and time overseas, but do not consider myself an expert in the employment of firearms or an expert tactician. My basis for opinion comes solely from observations and experiences. As for being a plant, I can assure you that I am a capitalist and yet am receiving no money for this so it is pure altruism on my behalf.

Recently I had the rare opportunity (schedule never has allowed me to attend a course) to participate in Travis Haley's Adaptive Carbine and Handgun courses. This post is meant to assist those who were in my shoes with little experience and knowledge of the tactical community, to formulate an assessment of the benefits of attending these courses. For all others the information is here to be evaluated and perhaps it will convince you that I am but a lowly beginner.

Prior to attending my preparation was spent watching the MAGPUL videos. In addition I was able to watch the new Adaptive Carbine video that Travis recently put out. It struck me that in watching the same individual in both videos that such a contrast could exist in how his thoughts were communicated. The Adaptive Carbine video gave him a much better forum and hearing his philosophy and methodology behind the "why's" of shooting as opposed to just watching students was invaluable.

This ability to expand upon the "why" was displayed in the class and was greatly appreciated. Many of the videos that I have watched since the class have consisted of instructors telling the viewer to do something with little value added by the inclusion of real world reasons for doing so or philosophical reasons and underpinnings. It is almost as if they do not know themselves why they are doing what they do and are too afraid to find out. Travis was able to clearly explain not only his methods, but also look at other methods and help assess whether or not they would be effective and give the reasons based upon his experience. He did not shy away from failure and was not prescriptive in what he said. His emphasis on being adaptive placed an importance on understanding the limits that may be inherent to each person and the need to find a way to be effective in a non-rigid environment.

His course starts with a discussion of the modern day law enforcement, military and home defense environment and how we can better prepare ourselves to survive in them. From there it transitions to fundamentals of shooting. You will shoot "A LOT" of ammo and it is key that you get the fundamentals correct. Even though it is a short course the number of repetitions that you conduct will solidify your techniques. It that it takes 2-3k reps for something to become subconsciously acted out. You will shoot to the point in a short class where this become the case. I was unable to shoot for a week after the course and when I did everything from the course stuck with me and required little force to bring it back, it was ingrained.

The philosophy of being a thinker first may not be liked by all. Some want to sit back and learn without thought. If you fall in this category you can survive the course, but will not benefit to the degree that others who embrace the thinking portion of the class will benefit. Constantly assessing and diagnosing may seem like it leaves you with a sandcastle foundation that is constantly torn down washed away and rebuilt. It is more like a knife edge that is honed and made sharper as its purpose and use become more refined.

The pistol course will kick your ass, at least it did mine. However, I walked away with a cranium full of knowledge and a tremendous degree of satisfaction. The drills are backed up by real world experience and I assure you that they will, in a Mr. Miyagi way, make you better. You will realize it after the course to a greater degree than during the course. For equipment recommendations I made it with two mag holders and three mags. The more that you can carry the better. I would like to have had at least five mag holders and 6 mags to avoid having to reload at critical moments, but I made it nonetheless. Spend some time to really understand how to manipulate your handgun before the class. Knowing this will allow you to focus on shooting and not figuring out how to more effectively find your slide release under stress. Do not be intimidated if you are new, you will be fine. Keep an open mind and allow yourself to learn as opposed to rigidly hanging onto bad habits in an attempt to look cool.

As for the rifle course, I made it with two ITS fastmag holders and 13 magazines. I had magazines in my pockets and everywhere else that they would fit (so to speak). Would recommend having at least 4 mag holders and a half days worth of ammo (350 rds) at least, loaded in mags and ready to go. Travis keeps track of when reloads are required and you will have time, but it would be better to be prepared and use the time to internalize the previous events learning points.

The only thing that I would change is the way that you move through the shooting positions. Travis demonstrates how to make a certain movement in detail and then gives you the chance to execute it. It would be valuable to pause between the demonstration and the execution to allow students to attempt the body positioning without having to fire. This would allow you to orient your body and familiarize yourself with the movement without having to initially think about the employment of the weapon.

Travis is a great teacher and can teach to the new comer as well as the experienced individual. Out of all the training that I have attended in the military this was the best and most useful training that I have ever received. Could not more wholeheartedly recommend this to anyone that wants to get better and thrive in an adaptive and dynamic environment.