PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Armalite AR parts

PA PATRIOT
12-30-11, 21:06
A friend of mine wants to sell me a decent size kit of Armalite AR repair parts. I have never dealt with Armalite before and would like to know what quality Armalite produces.

Thanks!

DeltaSierra
12-30-11, 23:33
A friend of mine wants to sell me a decent size kit of Armalite AR repair parts. I have never dealt with Armalite before and would like to know what quality Armalite produces.

Thanks!

Armalite rifles are of mediocre quality, so it would be safe to assume that the individual parts used to make the rifles are no better...

SomeOtherGuy
12-31-11, 00:35
It probably depends which parts you're talking about.

I've built two lowers using Armalite LPKs with their 2-stage trigger and every part fit properly where it was supposed to and functioned smoothly and properly. That may not sound like high praise, but it's more than I can say for Spike's, DPMS and DTI LPKs I've used.

I also have an Armalite carbine that I've had for 8 years (since the ban era) and nothing has broken, come loose or failed. I've replaced the firing pin retaining pin two or three times because the hole in the BCG is a bit tight and makes it hard to insert, but that's it.

I fully realize this is one person's experience with a tiny sample size, but I do not think Armalite is any sort of low end junk that it often seems to get lumped in with. Yes, I like my Daniel Defense products a lot better, and the G&R LPK is the way to go for a build, but my experience tells me that Armalite is more middle of the range than low end.

ST911
12-31-11, 00:38
Thanks!

Sport/commercial/hobby grade. Better than some, not as good as others.

jet80tv
01-01-12, 11:19
Armalite is the "gold standard" for substandard AR parts;)

SomeOtherGuy
01-01-12, 19:07
Armalite is the "gold standard" for substandard AR parts;)

Do you have firsthand experience of problems or substandard quality with Armalite rifles or parts? What were those problems?

jet80tv
01-01-12, 20:13
Do you have firsthand experience of problems or substandard quality with Armalite rifles or parts? What were those problems?

Nope. Never used their LPK's probably would try 'em for the right price. I was just joking!;) I have used a "substandard" lpk(dpms) changed out the fcg(springs and pins included)and have come to find the remaining parts to be not so "substandard", though not as good as DD kits I've used. I would imagine that in reality, Armalites' lpk's may be much the same depending on the users opinion and experience. On the whole their lpk's may not be as desirable as some others, but some may find that Armalite puts out a few quality or atleast serviceable kits.

Casull
01-01-12, 20:31
My experience with Armalite has been good. That's with an AR-10, though.

I've heard online about some pretty terrible things. Mainly parts breakages. Frankly Armalite should be top of the game with Colt level stuff but they aren't (apparently). I'm not sure why. I look forward to what this thread might harbor.

devinsdad
01-02-12, 11:27
My one go round with Armalite was eh...not so good. AR-10A2 with maybe 100 rds thru it. Every one of them were Federal GMM. At the end of the 5 boxes, the bolt needed replaced due to broken lugs, buffer was tore to hell from when opening the rear, the upper would scrape the buffer. I really wanted to like the rifle a whole lot more than I did. I do like their bolt latch (simply looks better) and use it on all my builds. Little parts...pins, springs and such, seem fine. But I've yet to ever have a problem with those type of items regardless of manufacturer.

Surf
01-02-12, 13:04
I personally feel that Armalite gets a bad rap with its lower parts kits. I have personally used several of their LPK's and IMO they are good quality.

C4IGrant
01-02-12, 13:19
OP, if you are gettinga smokin deal, then go for it. If not, then I think I would pass.

C4

big b
01-02-12, 16:04
I purchased a bag of Armalite replacement springs and parts a couple of years ago. After I found out Armalite is not the same company that it was in the 1960s I decided to get out my bag of parts (still new in the bag) and take a closer look.

While I'm no armorer, I did notice the mag release spring was shorter than a new in package Daniel Defense spring. While it's quite possible Armalite dosn't make the springs themselves, I didn't this as a good sign of their QC (I do realize mistakes happen though).

Still, if you are getting a good deal on the parts I would be tempted to buy them. I might take a good closer look at them before using them though. ;)