PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19 or 26?

goodoleboy
12-30-11, 21:22
I took the Glock plunge about 6 months ago and purchased a Glock 22 RTF2 I found at a great price. Since then, I have been wanting one to carry concealed. I have carried the 22, but since it has the RTF, carrying against bare flesh is not an option, which limits my options for summertime carry.

I have pretty big hands, and I am a fairly big guy. I have held both at the local gun shop, and the 26 just feels a little akward. I've seen mag extensions for a 26 that allow the use of one more finger to grip with. The 19 fits good in my hand, but I don't know how much more concealable it would be as compared to my 22. It just appears much closer to the full-size than the sub-compact. I am hoping for an IWB holster or a paddle holster under an un-tucked shirt as my concealed carry options during the summer.

Thoughts?

sapper36
12-30-11, 21:38
I had both a 19 and 26 for awhile and thought they both were very easy to conceal. Not the biggest guy in the world but I am 6'2" with good size hands, the only way that I ever felt comfortable with the 26 was with the Glock +1 extensions. Those made a huge difference. I liked to carry the 19 with a X300 on it so a lot of time in the summer I would just take the 26. Never felt that I was under gunned at all with the little one.

memberonly
12-30-11, 21:48
I went thru the same issue a few years ago. The shorter grip of the 26 makes my summer time carry a bit easier and I use a IWB holster. The shorter back grip of the 26 "prints" less than a 19. A grip extension such as Pearce helps the grip feeling.

Just a thought: ask the shop to let you try both. Walk/move around the store and ask them which one conceals better.

gsxr-fan
12-30-11, 21:51
Love my 3 gen G19 with about 1000 rds so far and zero issues. If I were you, I'd buy not only what fits my hand best but most accurate with.
As far as a CCW goes, I would try holsters from various makers with your normal street clothes on and see what works for you the best.

F-Trooper05
12-30-11, 22:08
I've yet to find a situation where I could carry a 26, but not a 19.

Traveshamockery
12-30-11, 22:18
The 19 and 26 are remarkably similar in size. Adding a grip extension to the 26 makes the difference almost imperceptible. Remember that grip length is a lot harder to conceal than barrel length.

Appalachian
12-30-11, 23:34
Really comes down to:

Do you want to carry what you shoot, or shoot what you carry?

The 26 (for me) is a heck of a lot harder to shoot than the 19. Not talking slow fire plinking, I mean shooting to train/practice in a realistic manner. It comes down to what you can use well. Recommend you borrow and shoot each of them to save the world from another "I only shot one box through it" used Glock. ;)

The 19 with a 300 on it is not terribly difficult to conceal in all seasons FWIW.
Good luck!

NC_DAVE
12-30-11, 23:47
I carry a g19 rtf with a belt clip and a M&PF 9 with a bladtech IWB holster, I carry the M&P 9 more and have no problem cocealing it in the summer with shorts and t shirt. I know the M&P is not the glock but my point is I would rather carry more ammo. And with the proper holster I don't think you would have any problem carrying the larger handgun in the summer (unless you like to wear really tight shirts. Most people also don't eye ball everyone for guns either. Even if you could see the profile most people will never notice the tell tale signs of you carrying a handgun. But to each his own.

one
12-31-11, 00:36
I actually carry a 26, but some things you need to consider are it's much easier to draw quickly and with more surety with a 19. It is also much easier to do a rapid reload with the longer framed gun than the short. Depending on whether or not you run a weapon light the 19 will be the clear winner there.

Overall you're going to be facing more than just carrying it. In general it's much easier to manipulate a 19 than a 26.

mkmckinley
12-31-11, 01:58
I had a G26 at one point and found I carried it very little. As F-Trooper suggested I haven't found many situations where I could carry a G26 and not a G19. I find the 19 much easier to reload because the short grip of the 26 means mags can pinch the pad on my palm if I'm not careful. The 19 is also a little easier to shoot due to the longer sight radius. I'd say if you're limited to one to get the Glock 19.

anthony1
12-31-11, 02:57
I own a G26 and it just seems to short grip wise. I carry my G19 and similar sized Sig almost always over the G26. I just like mid to full size pistols better.

kmrtnsn
12-31-11, 07:27
I took the Glock plunge about 6 months ago and purchased a Glock 22 RTF2 I found at a great price. Since then, I have been wanting one to carry concealed. I have carried the 22, but since it has the RTF, carrying against bare flesh is not an option, which limits my options for summertime carry.

I have pretty big hands, and I am a fairly big guy. I have held both at the local gun shop, and the 26 just feels a little akward. I've seen mag extensions for a 26 that allow the use of one more finger to grip with. The 19 fits good in my hand, but I don't know how much more concealable it would be as compared to my 22. It just appears much closer to the full-size than the sub-compact. I am hoping for an IWB holster or a paddle holster under an un-tucked shirt as my concealed carry options during the summer.

Thoughts?

Thoughts? Yes, I have a question; why are you contemplating a caliber change if your fullsize is a .40S&W?

A paddle holster is not a great idea for concealed carry. Find a quality IWB.

RichDC2
12-31-11, 08:41
If you can conceal the 22 well you can conceal the 19 as well. Get a good iwb like an mtac and you will be fine.

Eurodriver
12-31-11, 08:53
I've yet to find a situation where I could carry a 26, but not a 19.

This is the complete opposite for me.

I'm not sure how you guys dress, or what you look like but I am skinny, I wear light, thin, relatively close-fitting clothing and a Glock 19s grip is extremely more noticable and prints ridiculously compared to the G26.

arptsprt
12-31-11, 09:49
At one time I had both. Sold off the 26 and replaced it with a G19. I now have 2 G19s. Personally, for an all around pistol, including CCW, I don't think the G19 can be beat. MHO.

RichDC2
12-31-11, 11:05
An option for you could be this, I wear a tshirt or under armour with an open or closed button down shirt. In the summer its the same but the button downs are really light cotton and sometimes no under shirt. I carry a 17 pretty easily this way. I f its just a baggy t shirt than its a 19. I am 6' 240lbs.

Alaskapopo
01-01-12, 00:39

Thoughts?

My 26 is my constant off duty carry gun. I use the +2 extensions and it is a great little gun. I can shoot it nearly as well as my full size 17. It carries 12+1 and its very concealable in a inside the waistband rig.
Pat

DocGKR
01-01-12, 02:36
Just like all the other prior threads on this very topic, except for BUG use in uniform, I'll say that I have never found a situation where I could carry a G26, but not a G19. Also, if for some reason I needed the small grip of the G26, I'd rather use a G19 whose grip has been cut to take G26 mags, as it still allows me to use a light, has a full 4" barrel, and tends to carry a bit better IWB than a G26 due to the longer barrel.

bowietx
01-01-12, 08:20
The pinkie finger provides very little of your grip on a weapon, however many find the mental part of not having it on the firearm a hindrance that cannot be overcome. The statements above are very true regarding the length of the grip and concealment. If you have an extended magazine on the 26 you are not buying much if any concealability over the 19 which is very easy to conceal. Hickok45 has many reviews of both weapons on Youtube and discusses the advantages of both along with the pinkie finger issue.

Another consideration that should be accounted for is the potential for problems with the Gen4s. Not looking to start a war over this issue and I will only relay my experience, but I have had three Failure to Feeds and two stovepipes with my Gen4 glock 19. One was with the Hornady critical defense round and it may have simply been the friction from the polymer insert in the round, but the others were with FMJ rounds. The same ammo run through gen 3s did not create the problem. Not sure of it is the new design, nbut I am looking at a Glock 34 and will probably buy a Gen 3. Another thought would be to try to borrow/experiment with both in concealed holsters at an LGS if you have a good enough relationship with the store or a friend who already has one of these weapons. Your personal experience with these will count for more than any outside opinions. Good luck with your purchase.

JSGlock34
01-01-12, 09:00
Unless ankle carry is a requirement (and not seeking to turn this thread into a debate on the merits of ankle carry), I'd purchase the G19 prior to the G26. The G19 is the most versatile handgun in my inventory - it conceals remarkably well but performs like its larger cousins.

jtc556
01-01-12, 21:23
I also suggest going with the G19. I carried a G26 for several years thinking it was the best to conceal. The G19 grip size is perfect for me and you get 15 rounds as opposed to 10 or 12 with a +2. It is not much bigger in size and I find the extra barrel length to be more comfortable for IWB. My comments will echo others so I hope this helps some. They both shoot really well so it will ultimately come down to personal preference.

caddishatch
01-01-12, 22:01
A G26 is great weapon to carry but get the GAP baseplates. They are not a finger extension. Makes this weapon great to carry. If you use finger extensions you might as well be carrying a G19

Detmongo
01-02-12, 08:28
i have both. when working in plain clothes i carry both. the 26 has become my "i don't feel like carrying a gun today gun". when working those very early visits to peoples houses with a bunch of friends i tend to carry two glock 19's. i think both have their place it's just up to you to figure out what roll each one will play based on your needs.

CANDERSEN
01-02-12, 08:30
Which gun you carry would be dictated by your size and/or environment.-

goodoleboy
01-02-12, 10:17
Thanks to all for the informative responses. I had considered the option of using an extended mag in the 26, however, after reflection I guess that would be almost like carrying a 19, and I would stand to benefit from the 19's longer site radius. I've never owned an IWB holster before, but I think it would be a good piece of kit. To answer the question regarding caliber change, the reason is mainly ammo capacity in a smaller framed gun and also consideration of ammo costs.

I was leaning more towards the 26, because I didn't want buyers regret if I purchased a 19 and it didn't conceal much better than my 22. But, it was almost a sure bet that I would use extended mags.

Possibly a supplemental question for those who have used both, I was making an assumption that the 19 or 26's felt recoil would be similar to the 22 due to their lighter weight. Is there much difference between the 19 and the 22?

ST911
01-02-12, 11:27
The G19 isn't enough bigger than the G26 to make it harder to carry with two exceptions: ankle and pocket carry.

And I said harder, not impossible.

Be dedicated. That's the biggest variable.

JSGlock34
01-02-12, 11:32
Possibly a supplemental question for those who have used both, I was making an assumption that the 19 or 26's felt recoil would be similar to the 22 due to their lighter weight. Is there much difference between the 19 and the 22?

I've always found the .40 Glocks much 'snappier' than their 9mm brethren. I think you'll find the G19 more manageable than the G22.

Gadfly
01-02-12, 12:30
I find the 26 very easy to carry and very easy to shoot. I use the flush fit mag for carry, with a couple of full size mags for reloads. Like most here, I find the G 19 a great choice, but for some unknown reason, my agency authorizes the 17 and the 26, but not the 19... go figure.

I find myself carrying the 26 95% of the time. I also like that I have the ankle option of carry depending on my wardrobe requirements. The 19 would give me the flash light option and easier reloads, but I do not in anyway feel "under gunned" with the 26. I find it it nice to have the pocket and ankle option. (I know the 19 could fit in an ankle or pocket rig, but it would be a TIGHT fit, or super baggy clothes on me.)

You could just buy both and use both depending on wardrobe.

Striker
01-02-12, 14:56
Thanks to all for the informative responses. I had considered the option of using an extended mag in the 26, however, after reflection I guess that would be almost like carrying a 19, and I would stand to benefit from the 19's longer site radius. I've never owned an IWB holster before, but I think it would be a good piece of kit. To answer the question regarding caliber change, the reason is mainly ammo capacity in a smaller framed gun and also consideration of ammo costs.

I was leaning more towards the 26, because I didn't want buyers regret if I purchased a 19 and it didn't conceal much better than my 22. But, it was almost a sure bet that I would use extended mags.

Like others, I think both have their place. The 26 to me is a CC gun and a good one, but doesn't do anything more than that. The 19 is a better all around, do multiple things pistol, but is harder to conceal in the summer. To me, as said above, depends on what you're looking for, weather, time of year and location etc

Yes, the 22 and 23 have a much snappier recoil when compared to the 9mm Glocks.

Failure2Stop
01-02-12, 16:28
I find reloading a 19 much more fun than a 26.
Pinching your pinkie between the grip and mag baseplate sucks.
I can't speak for everyone else, but I have had no problem concealing a 5" 1911, a G19, or a P30 with proper selection of gear, clothing, and carry method.

one
01-02-12, 17:46
I find reloading a 19 much more fun than a 26.
Pinching your pinkie between the grip and mag baseplate sucks.

That's exactly what I was going for in my mention of the 19 being much easier to manipulate overall. Easier to reload, easier to rip a magazine out of if you have to, easier and quicker to draw from a holster. That little extra bit of grip goes a long way for a lot of things.

caddishatch
01-02-12, 18:19
I am telling you everybody needs to try the Gap baseplates on their G26 or G27. Makes a huge difference.

Failure2Stop
01-02-12, 21:00
I am telling you everybody needs to try the Gap baseplates on their G26 or G27. Makes a huge difference.

They do not address the issue with reloads.

Magsz
01-02-12, 21:10
This is the primary reason why i stopped carrying a 9c back when i was actively shooting S&W M&P's.

Shooting the smaller guns is fine but actually manipulating them sucks a fat one. I want to plan for the absolute worst possible scenario which means i want a gun that i can manipulate confidently when the adrenaline is flowing.

The 26, the 9c and other subcompact guns are NOT ideal.

Im a mall ninja if there ever was one but i absolutely will not compromise on my ability to actually run the firearm in order to be more "comfortable". My comfort comes from knowing that my tool is adequate and up to the task of performing at any level.

Any body type can conceal a 19, period.

Wake27
01-02-12, 22:02
If you're going to go through everything to be prepared enough to CC, then make sure whatever you choose to carry is up to the job. Just like if you spend $1200 on a nice pistol and then get a $25 UTG holster. Whichever one you can use best and WILL carry. I had my mind set on a 19. Love it, and now I'm experimenting with different holsters and carry methods to find out what works best. I just ordered my first real attempt at finding a good carry holster so I'll let you know if you'd like. My guess is you'd be better off with the 19, being a bigger guy. My sister has a 26 and I personally like mine better. If you do go Gen 4, then you have the backstraps to choose from. I've never had a problem with mine, for what its worth.

And to me, there is a fairly substantial difference in the felt recoil between the 22 I've shot and my 19.

Alaskapopo
01-02-12, 22:19
This is the primary reason why i stopped carrying a 9c back when i was actively shooting S&W M&P's.

Shooting the smaller guns is fine but actually manipulating them sucks a fat one. I want to plan for the absolute worst possible scenario which means i want a gun that i can manipulate confidently when the adrenaline is flowing.

The 26, the 9c and other subcompact guns are NOT ideal.

Im a mall ninja if there ever was one but i absolutely will not compromise on my ability to actually run the firearm in order to be more "comfortable". My comfort comes from knowing that my tool is adequate and up to the task of performing at any level.

Any body type can conceal a 19, period.

Not ideal but far from unusable. I shoot my 26 in a IDPA match a few times a year and I usually finish in the top 5 or so. Also absolute statements are univesally incorrect.

skyugo
01-02-12, 22:48
They do not address the issue with reloads.

reloading with a 19 or 17 mag does though... though dumping that first 26 mag out is a little slow.

still i agree the 19 with the right holster is a better choice

Alaskapopo
01-02-12, 22:57
reloading with a 19 or 17 mag does though... though dumping that first 26 mag out is a little slow.

still i agree the 19 with the right holster is a better choice

I don't use 17 or 19 mags unless its an emergency because they are not as reliable in the 26. Yes of course the bigger gun is a better choice for a fight but its not as concealable. Everything is a balance and both are good choices depending on your needs.
Pat

blasternank
01-02-12, 23:30
I'd use the 19 for carrying. The 26 for some reason tends to be a very accurate gun but I don't like the feel of it with the short grips, even with extensions for the mags. I think the 19 is a great compromise between the 17 and 26.

one
01-03-12, 01:41
Just to add...I do have a GAP plate on one of my G26 mags. And it is a great improvement on enabling a more secure, and faster, draw from a holster.

But, the mags still come out of the gun slightly slower, go in no differently than without a GAP plate. And still allow the hand to be pinched inadvertently.

I do run G19/G17/and sometimes +2 factory extensions on G26 mags from time to time. I personally haven't had any issues with reliability when it comes to the longer mags in the shorter guns. But I can see where it could happen.

d90king
01-03-12, 07:51
I have found the 19 to be the best all around CCW gun. I haven't ever experienced a time where concealment was ever an issue or where a 26 would have been a better fit. I carry RTF2 19's and have found that if you simply wear a tshirt it eliminates any discomfort that the frame texture causes.

Personally I would rather have the added purchase that the RTF frames offer, especially during long training sessions in the summer or during classes in the summer. IMHO I think the RTF2 frames are the best that Glock has ever made.

thelaw
01-03-12, 11:20
My 2 Cents..

I own a 19, 17, 34 and 17L. I am currently looking to buy a 19 and 17 with Gills (RTF) and then I will buy some Gen 2 and Gen 1 19s and 17s if I can find them at reasonable prices. Notice anything missing?

For me, the G26 is just not a necessary weapon. If I need to go smaller, for ultra deep concealment, the G26 doesn't offer enough of a size difference to really matter in my opinion. As F2S mentioned, the high stress mag reloads on a G26 hurts when done incorrectly and when things go south, they probably will be done incorrectly.

I carry a G19 with weapon mounted TLR-1s as my EDC. I carry it from the time I wake up until I go to bed in most cases. I typically wear it OWB 95% of the time and unless it's freezing outside, like today, my cover garment is a t-shirt. With proper holster, belt and clothing choices (color more than style) concealment is easy. Prior to switching over to GLOCKs several years ago, my daily carry was a fullsize 1911.

On the other end, as far as manipulating the weapon, I've found I run the G19 better than a G17. I'm not sure why but the G19 just seems to be the right fit for me.

Good luck with your choices.

The Rat
01-03-12, 11:40
You could always get a G19 and cut the grip to 26-length and have the best of both worlds.

I'm currently carrying a G17 cut to G19 length and it conceals just as well as a 19, but with a bit of extra sight radius.

cabbynate
01-03-12, 11:47
Thoughts? Yes, I have a question; why are you contemplating a caliber change if your fullsize is a .40S&W?

A paddle holster is not a great idea for concealed carry. Find a quality IWB.

^
This.
Why not a G27 or a G23? I have had all 4 and the 27/23 are great guns. So are the 19/26 but why change caliber's? I'm standardizing my caliber's so I am selling my sweet G23 to get a G19 as my carry is a Kahr PM9 and I have a 9mm SBR. You can have all the power of the .40 in the same size of the 9mm. You said your a big guy so recoil should be no problem... Just a though.

KCBRUIN
01-04-12, 12:33
19 for sure. I have a 26, and I'm not sure I even made it 24 hours before ordering grip extensions. If you have any plans or thoughts that you might get the extensions just get the 19, and you'll have higher capacity for fractions of an inch more in size.

If my 26 didn't have the same birthday as me I would have already traded it in for a 19, but how can you trade in a gun with a test fire date that's your birthday.

LPMan59
01-04-12, 12:48

JSTICFRALL
01-04-12, 14:40
I've carried both a 19 and a 26 and think they're both fantastic choices for CC. The 19 was never an issue in the winter, but under a T-shirt it would print more than the 26 because of the length of the grip. If you're a big guy with big hands, the 19 shouldn't be a problem at all. I'm 5'8" and 160lbs. and I would still carry a 19 without worrying about it. However I did sell mine a while ago but enjoy carrying my wife's 26 frequently.

bchand01
01-04-12, 15:23
If you have a 22 why not look at the 23 and 27 also? Keep the round the same and you can always use to the 22 magazine if need be. I have absolutely no problem with a 23 with a surefire x300. I also carry appendix inside the waist. That is not for everyone but it have more benefits than negatives I would also try with the 22. You could also wear a tucked in undershirt to take away from the rough grip.
http://img.tapatalk.com/47bc7b54-c336-7a74.jpg

That is my choice of carry and conceals under just a tshirt. I am 6ft 155lbs.

Just an option.

sierra 223
01-04-12, 16:50
I think the Glock 19 is the best all around carry gun for me. I carry it for both off-duty and as a back up. Small enough to conceal yet big enough to get the job done. When I shoot a G-26 Im always wishing it was bigger. We just have figure out our own pros and cons for what works for each of us individually.