PDA

View Full Version : No more Dawson Precision Rails?

jwperry
12-30-11, 22:17
Has Dawson Precision stopped production of their M1911 Surefire rail? Their webpage is blank for weapon mounted light and from what I've been able to find via the google-machine is that it is out of production?

If it is truly out of production, what would be the next best option for adding a Surefire X300 to a non-railed M1911?
The Novak looks awfully bulky.
What about Surefire's rail adapter?

nfranco
12-30-11, 23:17
In June I emailed them about this and this was their response.

"The rails are temporally discontinued for redesign."

No date was given for the new ones.

jwperry
12-31-11, 08:28
In June I emailed them about this and this was their response.

"The rails are temporally discontinued for redesign."

No date was given for the new ones.

Well that's no good. :(

TehLlama
12-31-11, 14:06
I've been tracking down some of the last ones to leave Dawson, but it sounds like any further one are going to be custom one-offs, and not the affordable nearly drop-in solution unless Dawson re-releases these.

Kokopelli
12-31-11, 14:10
They are indeed, no more.. Caspian has an offering.. Ron

http://www.caspianarms.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=CAL&Category_Code=AA01

redefined
12-31-11, 23:53
Glad I built mine when I did! Nothing compares to the compact nature and look of the Dawson. It's the only rail I like on a 1911. Sad to see it's gone :(

one
01-01-12, 01:46
Very unhappy with this. I was just gearing up to order one.

cdunn
01-02-12, 18:52
look here
http://www.grizzlycustom.com/parts_1911.html
and here
http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=98071&page=1

TurretGunner
01-02-12, 19:07
Or you could just order one of these......

http://www.surefire.com/MR07-Mounting-Rail

Want to take a guess why dawson stopped making them.....

Atchcraft
01-02-12, 19:31
I ran into this a few months ago when I tried to get one from Dawson. The reply I got was a big fat NO! It looks like 10-8 is about pick up the slack. I'd like to see that.

Thanks for the link to the Caspian rail. Never seen that one.

eternal24k
01-02-12, 20:11
Steve @ MARS Armament just announced they will be making a bolt on rail compatible with Dawson components, check their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/MARS-Armament-Inc/240634385152

Atchcraft
01-02-12, 20:50
Steve @ MARS Armament just announced they will be making a bolt on rail compatible with Dawson components, check their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/MARS-Armament-Inc/240634385152

That's good to know. I figured there still has to be a demand. After seeing the Caspian, I found this (http://ezine.m1911.org/reckonrail.htm)... I'll pass.

TehLlama
01-02-12, 20:56
I'm glad to see that the Morrisons are rolling out with one. Hilton's Yam's assessment is still right on - for a dual-purpose 1911 that can be used from CCW in a standard leather holster to a lighted tactical pistol riding in a kydex ALS holster is just impressive... As good as models like the CRG and MCO/LWO are, if I'm going to go through the effort to reboot my 45ACP platform I might as well go M&P at this point.

This lets me buy Baer TRS/UCP/CC pistols off the used market and make my own replica 10-8 pistols for around what NHC wanted when they were new.

Atchcraft
01-02-12, 21:08
I'm glad to see that the Morrisons are rolling out with one. Hilton's Yam's assessment is still right on - for a dual-purpose 1911 that can be used from CCW in a standard leather holster to a lighted tactical pistol riding in a kydex ALS holster is just impressive... As good as models like the CRG and MCO/LWO are, if I'm going to go through the effort to reboot my 45ACP platform I might as well go M&P at this point.

This lets me buy Baer TRS/UCP/CC pistols off the used market and make my own replica 10-8 pistols for around what NHC wanted when they were new.

My thoughts exactly.

jwperry
01-02-12, 21:52

That looks promising. I wonder if they will just sell the part? I don't need to send my frame in for work, I can install the rail myself. I think an email may be in order..
Thanks for that information.

Or you could just order one of these......

http://www.surefire.com/MR07-Mounting-Rail

Want to take a guess why dawson stopped making them.....

I've been looking at those but was concerned about holster availability. I'm just a dude(non LEO/MIL) and didn't necessarily want to have to go the Safariland route for a range/hunting holster.

And why do you think(or know) why Dawson stopped making the rail? I figured they had the market cornered on it and they seemed to be in demand, so I'd be curious as to why they'd stop making them.

cdunn
01-03-12, 13:25
http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad24/ca_dunn/motorcycle/1911s%20and%20others/10-8/10-8005-1.jpg

Curly
01-04-12, 07:17
And why do you think(or know) why Dawson stopped making the rail? I figured they had the market cornered on it and they seemed to be in demand, so I'd be curious as to why they'd stop making them.

Just my opinion but the DLR is obsolete now that there are railed frames available. When I was talking with a few well respected builders about a project they recommended to not use the DLR just because of the new frames being available. As strong as the Dawson is, it is not as strong as a frame built for the same purpose.

one
01-04-12, 19:05
Just my opinion but the DLR is obsolete now that there are railed frames available. When I was talking with a few well respected builders about a project they recommended to not use the DLR just because of the new frames being available. As strong as the Dawson is, it is not as strong as a frame built for the same purpose.

It's not obsolete if you have a perfectly functioning 1911 that you trust that doesn't have a rail on it. The finances don't even compare between a quality rail installation vs an entirely new pistol.

M4Fundi
01-05-12, 01:37
It's not obsolete if you have a perfectly functioning 1911 that you trust that doesn't have a rail on it. The finances don't even compare between a quality rail installation vs an entirely new pistol.

Agreed... and it fits many standard holsters, is lower profile than railed frames and some of us like the way it looks better on a classic styled pistol. I much prefer it:)

TehLlama
01-05-12, 01:50
I wouldn't put it up against a steel railed frame in a nail driving contest, but I can run mine in a VM2 as a CCW pistol, then slap an X300 or IMPL on it and use it out of a Safariland holster, and go back as needed. It IS more compact for IWB CCW, though marginally at most, but being able to take a pistol that to me is a known entity and have the presence of a weaponlight be really an option is great.

Curly
01-05-12, 07:15

I was referring to the bigger picture and those who may be starting from the ground and buying a new pistol altogether. This alone would be a good explanation on why production has stopped. I just don't see the demand being as high as the past giving the railed frames nowadays.

I have a Dawson on one of my 1911's, not by choice, just what was available at the time. I have no complaints with its durability, though I have not had luck finding quality leather holsters that will work without significant work . If I had the option back when, I gladly would of with a railed frame..

one
01-05-12, 22:55
Yeah, I'd agree with all that.

TehLlama
01-05-12, 23:56
I have a Dawson on one of my 1911's, not by choice, just what was available at the time. I have no complaints with its durability, though I have not had luck finding quality leather holsters that will work without significant work . If I had the option back when, I gladly would of with a railed frame..

Which holsters have you tried? What difficulties were you having?
I got a Milt Sparks VM2 to work just by keeping that holster with the pistol and a thick ziploc bag in it for a few days in a hot moist area, and it works fine.

Curly
01-06-12, 07:17
Which holsters have you tried? What difficulties were you having?
I got a Milt Sparks VM2 to work just by keeping that holster with the pistol and a thick ziploc bag in it for a few days in a hot moist area, and it works fine.

I had a Sparks SS-II and a VM-II, neither was remotely close to working. I tried the ziplock bag on the SS but wasn't getting anywhere so didn't bother trying with the VM. I should have tried a heatgun (or something) and worked it a little more but I decided to try and order one made for my pistol.

I had an order with 5-Shot Leather for a model built with a DR but haven't heard anything from that guy in months...I ordered Dec. 2010. I ended up with a RCS and called it a day.

Hilton Yam
01-31-12, 09:22
For clarification, 10-8 Performance is NOT picking up production of the Dawson Rail. Even during its heyday, sales of the Dawson Rail were quite minimal, which is what prompted the eventual discontinuation of the part. The rail was a great solution back in 2004-2006, but has been superseded in overall functionality by integral rail frame 1911s. The need for a proprietary adapter which must be semi-permanently mounted to only one light option is also a drawback if starting from scratch.

My website's Light Rail 1911 Resource has also been updated to reflect the latest information on rails/lights.

TehLlama
01-31-12, 18:24
Unless MARS Armament produces a significant number of these, I'd expect them to dry up in the near future. I agree that looking forward there are too many high quality railed frames out there (Colt, Imbel, Caspian, Wilson), and making an X300 slave to one weapon system isn't really ideal.

english kanigit
02-09-12, 20:37
The other issue with the DR equipped guns is that of future compatibility. Not all lights in the future may be adaptable to the DR. I sincerely hope that the new surefire lights are...

With a standard rail you should be good to go for almost anything and everything for the foreseeable future.

Ek

newyork
02-10-12, 07:50
Was told last night that Nighthawk will charge an additional $250 to install a Dawson rail on a build.

eternal24k
02-10-12, 07:58
Was told last night that Nighthawk will charge an additional $250 to install a Dawson rail on a build.

wow, that's almost like their $600 ionbond

newyork
02-10-12, 08:15
Thought it was pretty steep too. They also charge to leave the slide naked and to omit fcs. Silly.