PDA

View Full Version : For anyone considering a D.M. Bullard holster, look inside.

ThreeFingerPete
12-30-11, 22:40
I was looking to have someone make me a custom IWB holster for my Ruger SRH Alaskan. After contacting a few holster makers, I found David's website and after an email or two, I decided to go check out his stuff. I went out to his shop, he was extremely nice and accomodating.

I went out to his place on April 20th, 2011. I placed an order for a custom "Dual Carry" holster for a Ruger SRH Alaskan. I offered to pay him then, and he said that I could just pay when it was finished. We went over the options that I wanted, and I was made aware of the 16 week wait. We shook hands and the deal was done.
Here was our initial discussion:

Holster questions? Kahr PM9, Ruger SRH Alaskan
Adam Crain to dmbullardleath.
show details Apr 20
I have a Ruger Alaskan, and am interested in getting a "dual carry" built for it. I'm sure that's a bit of an odd request, but I'm quite serious.

I would also like to purchase an IWB for the Kahr PM9, right hand version, and a single pocket type magazine pouch for the same gun. I see that you have the IWB in stock. Is picking it up locally an option? I'm in Dallas, and end up in Fort Worth quite often.

Thanks in advance,
Adam Crain

dmbullardleather@aol.com to me
show details Apr 20
You are more than welcome to come to the shop and purchase your holster. I do have the IWB Kahr PM in stock and I might have a pocket mag in stock. You can place the order for the Dual Carry when you come out. Just let me know what day you would like to come so I can let David know. We are in the shop Mon-Fri 9-5.

Thank You
Renee Bullard

show details Apr 20
What is the address? I will stop by tomorrow.

Thank you for the quick response.

Adam

On Apr 20, 2011 7:50 PM, <dmbullardleather@aol.com> wrote:

You are more than welcome to come to the shop and purchase your holster. I do have the IWB Kahr PM in stock and I might have a pocket mag in stock. You can place the order for the Dual Carry when you come out. Just let me know what day you would like to come so I can let David know. We are in the shop Mon-Fri 9-5.

Thank You
Renee Bullard
www.DMBullardLeather.com

show details Apr 20
1100 Arvel Cir

Azle 76020

Thank You
Renee Bullard
www.DMBullardLeather.com
(866)383-6761

show details Apr 20
Thank you. See you tomorrow

Three months later:

show details Jun 26
I just wanted to check on the build of my SRH alaskan holster. What's the projected finish date?

Thanks,
Adam Crain

show details Jul 12

We are running 16 to 20 weeks your order should be about a month out. We are working on getting our turn around time down. You will receive a tracking number when your order ships.

Thank You
Renee Bullard

And that's where we stood. I called on August ~20th, and spoke with David. He promised me he would make my holster and have it ready for me the next week... At this point, still no call.

show details Sep 8
I am emailing you regarding the super redhawk alaskan holster. I spoke with david two weeks ago and he said it would be available at the end of the week.

Please call me at 972-955-7873

Thank you,
Adam Crain

No response...

show details Sep 21
David, do you have any good news for me on my Alaskan holster?

Thanks,
Adam

... Another week wasted.

show details Sep 28
David, do you have any good news for me on my Alaskan holster? I really need this holster. Please get back with me.

Thanks,

show details Sep 30
I'm sorry, David told me to tell you that he's not trying to give you the run around, but it will still be another couple of weeks. We've had construction at the shop and a family emergency the past 2 weeks, and this coming week David has a scheduled trip out of town. We apologize for the inconvenience, and appreciate the understanding. When your item is ready to ship you will receive a tracking number via e-mail.

Thank You
Maranda Eisen
3 more weeks... no word yet.

show details Oct 17
Any update on the SRH alaskan holster?

DMBullard Leather to me
show details Oct 19

I'm sorry, David has well over 1,000 orders and he is doing his best. He said that if you can not wait and want to go somewhere else he completely understands. We will be contacting you when the order is ready to ship, as we haven't received payment from you for the holster. I'm flooded with e-mails as it is, and David is well aware of your order I assure you. Please let me know if you are willing to wait for the order or if you would like to go else where. And from there let us be the ones to contact you, sorry for any inconvenience and I appreciate your understanding.

Thank You
Maranda Eisen

There it is. 2 months after the original deadline, that's 6 months or half of a year for a HOLSTER, I'm told that I can go **** myself if it suits me.

Adam Crain to DMBullard
show details Oct 19
I offered to pay for the holster while I was at your shop in April. At this point, going to another manufacturer is just going to put me another 4 months out, in addition to the 6 months I've already waited. I'm aware of your recent deal with Cheaper than dirt, and I assure you that I am very happy for your success. I just want my holster. He told me on the phone that he would make it for me a month and half ago and have it ready for me that weekend... I don't know how long it takes to make a holster, but unfortunately for me, I can't just go pick up another holster to use while I wait patiently for the holster to be finished.

Please, I understand a backlog but help me out here.
Adam Crain

DMBullard Leather to me
show details Oct 19

Cheaper than Dirt was pulled from our current stock, that's why our web-site is the way it is now and our in-stock selection isn't what it used to be.

Custom orders are something that takes a lot of time and labor. David actually had to create a pattern and hand cut for the Dual Carry for the Alaskan as it's not a common order. It is a custom order and not just a stock item that he can click out with a dye. I assure you he wants you to have a quality holster and that the finished product will be worth the wait. We appreciate your patience, and David is doing all that one man can when it comes to custom orders. We have customers that have been waiting longer than you that I am having to tell them the same thing.

Thank You
Maranda Eisen

Notice the past tense phrasing? Got it. By the way, when I was at the shop there were 3 people working on holsters while I was talking to David. Stop with the "he is only one man..." bullshit.

That was October 19th, More than 2 months after it was originally slated,, and more than a month after David promised it would be ready the week of September the 15th.

That's the last I've heard from DM Bullard leather company.

I do my absolute best to support local craftsmen, artisans, and small businesses, but this is not the way to treat your customers. "Please don't contact us, we'll contact you"... well, apparently not when you're already more than 2 months past your deadline without so much as a phone call.

Spend your money elsewhere guys.

*if anyone has any recommendations for a holster maker who will make an IWB holster for a SRH Alaskan, please let me know.

Thanks

glocktogo
12-30-11, 23:27
BT,DT,DHTH... (been there, done that, don't have the holster)

I went to a nationally recognized leather company that produces a lot of LE leather. I spoke with their custom shop guy about a S&W Model 19 competition holster and speed loader pouches for IDPA use. I brought the gun, drawings, specs, one of my customized speed loaders and a set of dummy rounds along. I explained exactly what I needed and why I needed it that way. He was eager to take on the project and flowed right into my line of thought. I told him when I needed it by due to the upcoming season's match schedule. He was fine with the timeline. I told him that if it worked out, he'd have a lot more orders. We shake hands and off we go.

Six weeks go by, no contact. At week 7, I call. He's working on it and it will just be a few more weeks. Week 10, no call. I leave a message. Week 12, I borrow a kydex holster from another shooter so I can start practicing & dry firing from the draw. Week 16 and no stuff, several more messages left. I know he's still around, but he's dodging me now. Week 20 and the season starts. I've already ordered a kydex holster from a nationally recognized outfit and it's in the pipeline. At week 23, I finally get the gear I need from the kydex bender. I never hear from the leather guy again and he still has one of my speed loaders and a set of dummy rounds that I never got back. That fall, I win my division at the Nationals, along with several state and regional titles along the way.

The guy who sold me the kydex wants to sponsor me for the next year. So I send him a list of what I need, cause I'm switching to an L Frame. I never see that gear either. I don't know what it is about holster makers and kydex benders, but more of them will flake on you than any other group I've ever seen. I hear horror stories from other competition shooters all the time. As competitors, we always want specific stuff for every advantage we can get. But it's not like we can postpone a major event because our gear hasn't arrived as promised.

Nowadays, if it isn't in stock, I cross it off the list and move on. The lost practice time waiting on the gear outweighs any advantage it might have given.

Long story short, if you have a gear maker that gets you quality custom stuff with a short lead time, never, ever, ever let anyone know about it. Guard them like you're dating a supermodel and hope they never get famous or ambitious. Once they go big, you'll likely never get anything else out of them again.

Sorry for your troubles and I hope you eventually find what you need. I certainly empathize with you! :(

Straight Shooter
12-31-11, 08:23
Sounds to me like you outta be damn glad you DIDNT pay for the stuff. You still wouldnt have even so I bet.
Thanks for the heads up, very interesting story.
Sorry for your luck.

Hmac
12-31-11, 08:27
I'd be interested to hear the other side of the story....

Mark/MO
12-31-11, 10:47
That's too bad. About 3 years ago I ordered a pocket holster from them and had no problems, delivery was quick and quality was excellent. Sounds as if things have changed since then.

ThreeFingerPete
12-31-11, 10:50
Sounds to me like you outta be damn glad you DIDNT pay for the stuff. You still wouldnt have even so I bet.
Thanks for the heads up, very interesting story.
Sorry for your luck.

That's unfortunately true, but I'd have paid him a visit for a refund.

His other gear that I have is top notch. Unfortunately, his business practices have not been. Now my poor Alaskan sits in the safe, instead of on my hip.

streck
12-31-11, 10:53
Thanks for the heads up.

For custom holsters,may I recommend http://www.andrewsleather.com/traditional.htm...

ThreeFingerPete
02-09-12, 19:12
Resolution!
Update: I bumped into David at the gun show three weeks ago. We discussed my holster, he apologized for the delay and explained that he is no longer giving estimates on custom work. I also inquired about a dual 1911 magazine holder, and he said he'd make me one. He said that he was going to make it top priority to get my stuff to me.

Update: The holster is here, along with a double magazine holder that I asked him about to replace the bulky safariland that I've been using.

At this point, I have the holster that I wanted the whole time and when I was able to speak with David directly, he was very apologetic about the delay. He also said that he's no longer giving customers a specific time frame for custom stuff for this reason.

At this point, I'm elated that I got the holster that I wanted. The leather and construction methods are top notch. I was extremely surprised when David called me to let me know that he was shipping my stuff. He took care of me, and did what he could to make it right.

My recommendation: If you want Bullard leather, then buy his stocked stuff. It's a lot less heartache.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g288/OneBadWagon/2012-02-09163546.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g288/OneBadWagon/2012-02-09162730.jpg

cop1211
02-09-12, 20:04
Welcome to the world of custom leather. Seems like a mojority of custom leather makers do the same thing.

I ordered 2 holsters for a Sig and a 1911 from a top maker. I was told twice it would be a 4 month wait.

It took 13 months to get the order:confused: after several times of being told "two more weeks" and only after politely informing him that if the holsters were not completed in 2 weeks that the order would be cancelled.

I cant belive a business cant give even a semi accurate date of completion.

There are some leather makers that clearly state 12-14 month wait.

No problem with that. Dont state 16 weeks and it then takes double, or triple that time just to get an order.

Endur
02-09-12, 23:20
I know you gor your holster now but for what it is worth for anyone readig try tucker gun leather. Quality products and good turn around time.

ThreeFingerPete
02-09-12, 23:22
I know you gor your holster now but for what it is worth for anyone readig try tucker gun leather. Quality products and good turn around time.

As a matter of fact, I spoke with the fine folks over at Tucker a couple of months ago when I was afraid this holster was never going to materialize.

They responded to my inquiry very quickly and were extremely helpful.

Endur
02-09-12, 23:31
As a matter of fact, I spoke with the fine folks over at Tucker a couple of months ago when I was afraid this holster was never going to materialize.

They responded to my inquiry very quickly and were extremely helpful.

I didn't have a custom made one but they did make mine after I ordered it. I got the answer iwb holster leather lined and man this thing is nice. Top notch quality, extremely comfortable even with my full size 1911. I got it in about 2 1/2 weeks. Blows away any other crossbreed style iwb holster I have seen.