PDA

View Full Version : Figuring out pistol accuracy

jc000
12-30-11, 22:42
Sorry in advance. I feel like I may end up having quite a few threads in this New to Firearms/Shooting forum.

How can I determine, where an accuracy issue stems from?

I am a very novice pistol shooter, but have been hitting it fairly hard this past month or so, shooting several hundred rounds over various indoor/outdoor range trips since November.

I picked up a V2 P2000 9mm, my first pistol, and it seems that at best my groupings are quite low. I do understand that HK's must have the sight placed on top of the target. POI just seems off no matter what I do and this is shooting at 3-7 yards.

Conversely, I have shot quite a few mags through an HK 45 and USP 45, as well as an XD 9mm and I consistently get good (for me) sub 3" groupings at 7 yards. POI seems in line with POA.

I am not trying to blame the arrow, but I wonder--what could cause this discrepancy and how do I start to diagnose this either hardware or software issue?

Failure2Stop
12-31-11, 12:23
Sandbag the gun.
Shoot for groups at 25 yards.

Most POI deviation in pistols is due to user influence.
HOWEVER, there are certainly cases where the sights are to blame.
In my experience, sight problems to shooter problems are about 1:20.
It is very difficult to diagnose if the user is not an accomplished shooter.

It helps a lot to have a shooter with known high performance test the gun.

jc000
01-01-12, 20:10
Thank you.

Alaskapopo
01-04-12, 13:49
Sorry in advance. I feel like I may end up having quite a few threads in this New to Firearms/Shooting forum.

How can I determine, where an accuracy issue stems from?

I am a very novice pistol shooter, but have been hitting it fairly hard this past month or so, shooting several hundred rounds over various indoor/outdoor range trips since November.

I picked up a V2 P2000 9mm, my first pistol, and it seems that at best my groupings are quite low. I do understand that HK's must have the sight placed on top of the target. POI just seems off no matter what I do and this is shooting at 3-7 yards.

Conversely, I have shot quite a few mags through an HK 45 and USP 45, as well as an XD 9mm and I consistently get good (for me) sub 3" groupings at 7 yards. POI seems in line with POA.

I am not trying to blame the arrow, but I wonder--what could cause this discrepancy and how do I start to diagnose this either hardware or software issue?

It just takes time and practcie and training. Frankly you should not be measureing groups at 7 yards but rather 25 yards. I know you have to start somewhere but 3 inches at 7 yards is not good. Keep working at it. Lots of try practice and really focus on trigger control.
Pat

jc000
01-04-12, 15:19
It just takes time and practcie and training. Frankly you should not be measureing groups at 7 yards but rather 25 yards. I know you have to start somewhere but 3 inches at 7 yards is not good. Keep working at it. Lots of try practice and really focus on trigger control.
Pat

Thanks. Re: 3" at 7 yards I remeasured and it was actually less than 2" but still... obviously a lot of work to do.

Anyway I am hoping to get into training soon before I make my poor technique permanent.

madkow
01-14-12, 09:02
It would be worth your while to seek out some professional training. Self diagnosing accuracy issues can be tough. Quality training and a second set of eyes on what you are doing are might be helpful. I guarantee you will leave with more knowledge than you started with.

francobx22
01-15-12, 00:21
3 things for pistol accuracy,

1-sight picture
2-grip
3-trigger control

once you get a good feel of those 3 things and you get some more time behind your gun you will notice a difference, alot of time and practice and you will get better and better.. work the basics and you will be fine..

mizer67
01-15-12, 19:47
Low is usually heeling or a pre-ingition push.

Focus on trigger control. Dry fire 10 rounds for every one you fire live. Sight picture and grip are not critical at 7 yards.

tb-av
01-15-12, 20:12
If I were you I would get some dummy rounds.
http://stactionpro.com/

A video camera placed at 45deg in front of you so you can see very closely what your hands and weapon are doing and how you are reacting.

Some little 1/4" sticky dots from the office supply. Shoot the dots. Even though your sight should normally cover the POI, I would let the sticky dot sit right on top of your front sight post. Your group will simply be low. Hopefully small and just below that dot.

Watch this as well as the next 2 parts and all the rest of his pistol videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/ssdsurf#p/u/31/lTc5OG0AI64
his member name here is Surf. Good idea to read his posts as well.

lethal dose
01-15-12, 20:26
Lots of good training opportunities in VA. Like f2s said, sandbag it and go from there. Practice dry fire and focus on sight picture and not flinching... have someone watch you. Of course, I still suggest training first so bad habits aren't formed.