PDA

View Full Version : I have read the sticky but I still have a question about co-witnessing

pbmaster2k89
12-31-11, 00:15
Correct me of I'm wrong, but from what I'm gathering, When u use say an aimpoint pro and line up the irons with the aimpoint (or even jus using the red dot) no matter where u aim ur sights at 0-100 yards, ur rounds will always hit ur mark?

Thomas M-4
12-31-11, 00:20
LOL essentially yes the RDS is parallax free.
The irons still have to aligned correctly if you want to use them.

pbmaster2k89
12-31-11, 00:22
I was lookin at the aimpoint pro on the manufacturer site, I don't c anything about it being parallax free but i may have missed it. Thank u for ur response

a0cake
12-31-11, 10:09
Inside of 50M or so there will still be a minor degree of parallax if you want to get technical...but the POI shift will be minimal and not affect you. So they can get away with saying parallax free without any practical complications.

As to your question, the red dot can be anywhere in the tube (left, right, top, bottom, etc.), and you will still be on target regardless of where your irons are as long as the red dot is where it needs to be. This is because with the irons, you are lining up 2 points. With the Aimpoint it's just a single dot.

Another practical way of proving this is to look through a lower 1/3 cowitness setup. While the dot is above the irons if you're looking through the centerline of the RDS, when you look through your irons the dot will move down inside the FOV and line up with your irons.