PDA

View Full Version : Walther pps, g 26, 19..

MP9
12-31-11, 12:48
Hi guys..

I have a g19.. I like it, I'm 5.8" , 195 lbs.. but I'm thinking about buying a pps as my Christmas present , I usually wear cargos short and t-shirts, not too fit but not so loose either(on weekends). the pps seems a little higher than the glock 26 and shorter than the g19. but the pps is thinner than the glock. (and I´m from Miami, hot weather almost all year)

Does anyone have both, is there a big difference concealing it and not printing?

I dont want to spend money if there is not that difference. I use my glock in a CB holster..

Thanks

oldtexan
12-31-11, 14:52
My everyday carry primary is a G19 in a Raven Phantom at about 3 o'clock. I use a 9mm PPS (with 6 rd mag)as weakside backup in a DeSantis Superfly pocket holster. I'm 5'10" and about 210 lbs so probably roughly your build. I usually wear a t-shirt, a big Hawaiian shirt or sweater (depending on the weather), and cargo pants/shorts.

I don't have any problem concealing the G19. The PPS is IMO a very good gun, but the G19 is easier for me to shoot at speed than the PPS. I'd say if you can carry the G19 without printing, stick with the G19. If you can't, then I'd consider switching to the PPS. It is a tad narrower and would print slightly less than the G19 under close-fitting clothes.

tb-av
12-31-11, 15:04
I'm only 5'6" 155 and it's easy to conceal a PPS. From 4:00 IWB to pocket to whatever. I had a Glock .40 compact ( forgot the number ) but the PPS fits a lot flatter and I don't even have a nice holster yet.

skyugo
12-31-11, 18:35
i looked into pickin up a PPS, i just wasn't that dazzled with how small it wasl in practical terms it's a tiny bit smaller than a G19 and you lose 8 or so rounds of capacity.
I did my G26 to be marginally more concealable than a 19, but at the expense of draw speed and obviously capacity
my tiny gun solution is a j-frame.
i don't shoot it as well as a glock, and knowing this, i make a serious effort to carry the glock. the j-frame beats a sharp stick though.

Beat Trash
12-31-11, 23:57
I've owned a Glock 19 and a Glock 26 for several years. My Glock 26 lives in a kydex pocket holster made by Fist. Though on reality, it's not much of a pocket gun, unless you have rather large pockets.

I bought a PPS thinking it could replace a Kahr PM9 I use on occasion as a pocket gun. While the PPS is an accurate gun, it's still rather larger and heavy for a pocket gun.

If I'm going to carry a gun IWB, then I prefer the Glock 19, and can conceal it well enough.

I'm having a hard time warming up to the PPS. It's too close in size to the Glock 26. Yes it's thinner, but by about .1". For this you give up capacity.

If I had to do it over again, I don't think I would buy the PPS.

Eliakim
01-01-12, 13:38
I had a PPS that I had traded-in a Glock for, but I wish I kept the Glock. Mine had trouble feeding JHP ammo (especially RA9T Winchester Ranger). Also I did not like the flimsy backstrap/safety or the little extension wings on the bottom of the magizine. It would probably be wise to use a hogue handall grip wrap to support the backstrap so it does not come off on you.

Other than that its a great gun :sarcastic:

tb-av
01-01-12, 14:30
Well I would agree if you like your Glock, I wouldn't sell it for a PPS. I never enjoyed shooting my Glock though and couldn't wait to get rid of it.

I just went jogging in very light weight pants with a simple flimsy super lightweight 1" cinch tight nylon belt Never even noticed I had it on. That was around a track, up and down bleachers, through the woods. It never moved and again that's just a cheap little holster.

It's not a cure all but I can hit what I intend to hit with it far more often than with the Glock I had so that means a lot to me. If I have two guns that feel pretty the same same in my waistband, I want the one that I shoot the best with ammo I have tested to function 100%.

Pistol Shooter
01-01-12, 16:04
I've had a 9mm PPS for about two years. It's accurate, a pleasure to shoot at the range and very reliable.

I've put 2,500 rds. of assorted fmj and jhp ammo through it with zero malfunctions to date.

It's a very good pistol.

C4IGrant
01-01-12, 17:00
OP, if you do not have a G19, then I would probably get one of those first and then a PPS later.

I own a G19 and PPS. The PPS does hide better than a G19. I would also say that it is more accurate.

The PPS is your standard small German pistol (tight and finicky). There are some things you can do to greatly improve the reliability and trigger pull of the gun.

The PPS is one of my favorite pistols.

C4

tb-av
01-01-12, 21:32
There are some things you can do to greatly improve the reliability and trigger pull of the gun.

Grant, I know you're a busy guy but have you ever thought any more about posting a "how to" video on that?

caddishatch
01-01-12, 21:58
I have a 27, and a 19. I do not understand people who carry a 26 or 27 with an extended magazine. They might as well be carrying a 19 or 23. If you do get a 26, carry it with the regular magazines and get GAP baseplates. They are awesome!!! Google GAP baseplates and you will see what I am talking about.

C4IGrant
01-02-12, 08:34
Grant, I know you're a busy guy but have you ever thought any more about posting a "how to" video on that?

Yes, but time is my enemy.

C4

SouthNarc
01-02-12, 20:17
Grant did a trigger job and reliability package on my PPS and probably took a pound of the weight. Thr trigger is slick as hell to. 1800 rounds at this point and that little gun runs like a scalded ape. It's noticeably more concealable in a pair of MMA shorts and a t-shirt.