PDA

View Full Version : Scope recommendations for my rifle.

Biggy
12-31-11, 12:54
I have around a $1500 budget. I am looking for at least 10x magnification, 12x would be better, max magnification top end, low end could be 2,3 or 4x. 30mm scope tube, good to great glass, rugged, fairly lightweight with a short length is a plus, 42mm or smaller objective diameter. This scope will be going on an AR with a 16 inch Noveske barrel. The rifle will be used to get "quick" minute of man hits from 100 to 600 yds. It will also be used for varmint hunting. Okay, now for the hard part, the reticle. My shooting eye corrected vision is only around 20/40. What that means is, a busy reticle with fine lines, mil dots, hash marks,etc., I have a hard time focusing on and using quick, if at all. I want a reticle that is simple and quick to use for my eyesight. I have no trouble focusing on and using the standard thickness duplex reticles in most scopes.

TehLlama
12-31-11, 14:02
I have around a $1500 budget. I am looking for at least 10x magnification, 12x would be better, max magnification top end, low end could be 2,3 or 4x. 30mm scope tube, good to great glass, rugged, fairly lightweight with a short length is a plus, 42mm or smaller objective diameter. This scope will be going on an AR with a 16 inch Noveske barrel. The rifle will be used to get "quick" minute of man hits from 100 to 600 yds. It will also be used for varmint hunting. Okay, now for the hard part, the reticle. My shooting eye corrected vision is only around 20/40. What that means is, a busy reticle with fine lines, mil dots, hash marks,etc., I have a hard time focusing on and using quick, if at all. I want a reticle that is simple and quick to use for my eyesight. I have no trouble focusing with and using the standard thickness duplex reticles in most scopes.

It sounds like a Nightforce 2.5-10x32mm Velocity Reticle setup might be exactly the answer you're looking for.

RD62
12-31-11, 14:26
It sounds like a Nightforce 2.5-10x32mm Velocity Reticle setup might be exactly the answer you're looking for.

+1 on the Nightforce 2.5-10 NXS Compact. That was the first thing I thought of too, and they have about 5 or 6 different reticle options for it.

rainman
12-31-11, 14:52
+2 on the NF 2.5 - 10...I have one on a Noveske 18" UR...very nice scope.

-Rainman

Biggy
01-01-12, 15:43
It looks like I will be taking a 100-200 mile road trip to check out the different Nightforce reticles. Any other options below the Nightforce scopes?

ccoker
01-02-12, 08:25
Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 mildot / greendot
Leupold VXR 3-9x40 Patrol

Either would work and would be brighter in low light for hunting than the Nightforce and cheaper.