PDA

View Full Version : Plates plus shouldering weapon

rapomstage3
01-01-12, 07:14
So i went shooting yesterday with my new plate carrier and plates installed. The plates are 10x12 level3 plus, swimmers cut. Any way, it has completely changed the way that i have to shoulder my rifle. I can still be very effective but i feel more clumsy and slower to get rounds down range. Of course with more range time ill get used to it and become more efficient. But i was wondering if anyone had any useful advice or techniques to help out. Any useful info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Nightgunner
01-01-12, 07:37
Practice, practice, practice. Sorry no magic pill here...

rob_s
01-01-12, 07:58
While not my original reason for choosing the stock, changing to this CAR-style has really helped me when wearing the armor I have.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/IMG_2710.jpg

rapomstage3
01-01-12, 08:09
While not my original reason for choosing the stock, changing to this CAR-style has really helped me when wearing the armor I have.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/IMG_2710.jpg

It's been awhile since i had one of those.

Failure2Stop
01-01-12, 09:52
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=93423

rapomstage3
01-01-12, 10:16
Thanks. Very helpful.

warpigM-4
01-01-12, 11:54
the first time I shot with Body armor on it took me a little to get use to the way it felt and the different way I had to retrain My mind to shoulder
My weapon Practice is the only way to get it down

rapomstage3
01-01-12, 11:56
I dropped the front plate a half inch and it helped a lot. When i was trying to cheek my stock my chin was hitting the plate.

Failure2Stop
01-01-12, 12:38
I dropped the front plate a half inch and it helped a lot. When i was trying to cheek my stock my chin was hitting the plate.

Did you try a more aggressive stance before dropping the plate?
By lowering the plate you are exposing more of your aorta, which might not be a great compromise.

rapomstage3
01-01-12, 13:20
Yes I did. But the plate actually was too high.

USMC_Anglico
01-01-12, 17:25
Ensure that the top of your front plate is at or around your sternal notch.

As far as mounting/shooting with armor on, collapsible stocks help with getting the right LOP and a rubber buttpad will help with preventing the stock from sliding on the material

rapomstage3
01-01-12, 17:30
Mine is adjusted according to the sticky. It made a world of difference. I do run a ctr (rubber). All seems better with the plate in the correct position.

Ensure that the top of your front plate is at or around your sternal notch.

As far as mounting/shooting with armor on, collapsible stocks help with getting the right LOP and a rubber buttpad will help with preventing the stock from sliding on the material

skd_tactical
01-01-12, 18:41
I would start by changing your length of pull by one slot closer. Also a rubber butt pad will help the buttstock grip on your shoulder and top of your plate.
Dryfire, dryfire, dryfire in your gear to get comfy. Do it in front of your mirror, head to an empty room and stick post it notes at various places on the wall and practice having the weapon at the low ready and then into your shooting stance aiming at various sticky notes. (goes without saying, but make sure the weapon is safe and not loaded.)

SOS