PDA

View Full Version : Vltor TS3 or DDM4v5?

Vapor Trail
01-01-12, 18:31
Both of these caught my eye. One is clearly much more expensive; why is that???

st1650
01-01-12, 18:55
Both of these caught my eye. One is clearly much more expensive; why is that???

Geissele DMR trigger
Noveske CHF M249 steel
Vltor VIS monolithic upper
A5 tube
Gunfighter Charging Handle

HaydenB
01-01-12, 19:16
I would say Vltor for the barrel, the A5, and the trigger, but I would hate to have that Vltor flash hider perm'd. You should look into Noveske's offerings.

Jaysop
01-01-12, 20:32
I would say Vltor for the barrel, the A5, and the trigger, but I would hate to have that Vltor flash hider perm'd. You should look into Noveske's offerings.

I agree, I have a noveske lo-pro with the vltor upper and gen2 lower.
Right now in concidering selling the lower. If I could do it all again I'd get the standard version an add my own stuff to it.

CGFS
01-01-12, 21:23
I can't see how you can compare these rifles and then say money aside. Money is clearly a major deciding factor in the decision making project of most people. One is a high end semi custom and the other is a main product line rifle.

As to which I would go with well if I could afford the Vltor I would buy a SR15 or a Noveske.

elnino31
01-02-12, 22:07
I agree... money is pretty huge in this one. However, I just purchased a v5, so I guess I'm biased in the vote. That being said, I'd get a noveske. Don't know if I'd touch a KAC based on some of the negative reliability issues that have been posted. And the propietary bolt.

elnino31
01-02-12, 22:10
Just realized that the vltor is pinned. You couldn't convince me to take ownership of a pinned barrel. Unless I moved to a anti-gun state.

lebowski
01-03-12, 16:45
I don't make any purchase decisions greater than maybe a candy bar on a "money aside" basis so DDM4 gets my vote.

I don't own a v5 but I have a V1 and a V7 LW and have been extremely happy with both.

duece71
01-03-12, 16:56
Curious that the Vltor has a 15 in barrel with a perm attached FH. Is that a Noveske trait or is there a purpose? I am a biased DDM4V3 owner. Think about how much ammo you could by with the extra $1000, or how many magazines. You could even fund a class maybe. Good luck.

HaydenB
01-03-12, 18:02
Curious that the Vltor has a 15 in barrel with a perm attached FH. Is that a Noveske trait or is there a purpose?

If I'm not mistaken it has a 15" barrel because the Vltor flash hider isn't long enough to bring a 14.5" barrel up to 16.1" when perm'd.

CGFS
01-04-12, 01:28
That seems to me to to be a poorly thought out option then if the flash hider was that short then they should have just gone with a 16" barrel and left themselves with more options instead of one rifle in one permanent set up.

Vapor Trail
01-04-12, 02:33
personally, I like the permanent setup of the Vltor. I'd feel more confident with the weapon system because there's only one configuration. I know that's weird, it being an AR and all, but IMHO customization gives me a headache. i never know if what I'm doing is a good idea! the Vltor doesn't that have that issue because it's purposefully less modular than other models.

Magic_Salad0892
01-04-12, 05:07
Neither. Piece one together for cheaper.

Or get a KAC.

Jaysop
01-04-12, 09:10
I say neither as well.
Vltor really dropped the ball on that rifle. 15inch barrel with a pined A2? I don't get it. And the lower... Im not a fan of a proprietary mag release mechanism that doesn't serve much of a purpose.
Although I trust their quality I just wouldn't want what they're offering.

As for the DD? Im a big fan of their products but lately they seem to be overpriced with some of the issues Iv read of. Also you CANNOT buy a lower separate from and upper so your forced into paying the 11% complete rifle tax for a complete. Also the way the omega rails lock up just don't look like they'd take hard abuse. Im sure im wrong about the last part but that's just me.

What I would do If I were you...
If you want to go all out and be a little different get a Noveske Lopro with a Gen2 Lower and Vltor upper. I went this rout for my primary. The quality is amazing and smooth. I trust that rifle with my life and will probably always keep a Novekse in some form as a primary rifle. I regret it in that I wish I would of just gone completely standard with the receivers. But hey if you buy the upper im pretty sure ill have a Novekse assembled Gen2 lower on the market in the next few weeks....

Or

Im no fan boy in anyway But if you want to get an less expensive high quality rifle and not get a colt Id assemble a BCM.
You can get a lower and upper separate. Parts are in good supply. You'll learn something as you put it together. Its cheaper to buy a striped rifle from Grant and put the stock and Forearm you want on it and save cash and aggravation. Id go the stripped rifle route. And be VERY careful about what you actually put on the rifle. Pick what you actually want. As for me, Ill never stop changing my rifles because im a tinkerer and its just a VERY expensive habit for me.

personally, I like the permanent setup of the Vltor. I'd feel more confident with the weapon system because there's only one configuration. I know that's weird, it being an AR and all, but IMHO customization gives me a headache. i never know if what I'm doing is a good idea! the Vltor doesn't that have that issue because it's purposefully less modular than other models.

Id go with a LMT monolithic rifle for the sake of known quality. I prefer the way the barrel is installed on the LMT anyway.
That and they just look cool as hell.

Beanie
01-04-12, 12:24
...As for the DD? Im a big fan of their products but lately they seem to be overpriced with some of the issues Iv read of. Also you CANNOT buy a lower separate from and upper so your forced into paying the 11% complete rifle tax for a complete...Grant at G&R sells DD lowers, either stripped or complete but is currently out of stock. I purchased a complete DD lower from Grant to go with the custom made DD upper I had purchased from Tommy at Smartgunner.

Jaysop
01-04-12, 12:31
Grant at G&R sells DD lowers, either stripped or complete but is currently out of stock. I purchased a complete DD lower from Grant to go with the custom made DD upper I had purchased from Tommy at Smartgunner.

I believe hes run dry on them. I "think" I saw a post from him about a week or so ago stating he had one left and wasn't getting more.
Hes definitely worth contacting though I don't want to speak for him.