PDA

View Full Version : Locking of threads.

GeorgiaBoy
01-01-12, 18:41
To preface this post: I am not, in any way, shape, or form, disparaging any staff or moderators of this forum. I am not whining about the rules, and I do try to follow them the best I can. I understand the mission statement of this forum and understand it completely and agree with it.

Now onto the post.

I have been a member here for nearly 3 years, and most of that time has been spent lurking. I post every now and again, mostly to answer peoples questions that I believe I know the answer too, or something similar. Otherwise this site has educated me with more things about AR's that I could have dreamed of when I first entered the AR world 5 years ago. It has been a tremendous resource for me, and I have really appreciated this site.

That being said..

I have noticed a major influx of threads being locked in the past 6 months or so. Take a look at the AR General Discussion, AR technical, or Custom build, ect. and you will find many locked threads of the first several pages. Of course, locking threads that go awry and start becoming completely off-topic and retarded should be locked or deleted. But a trend I seem to be noticing is that several moderators (not naming names) seem to be quite happy with the lock button on threads that don't seem to be against the rules in any way, and that personal opinion or mood seems to dictate the thread's locking. I have seen thread that I started to become very interested in suddenly be locked because it was "silly" or something. Locking of threads because the OP "found his answer" also seems to be a trend, which I am not quite sure is necessary either.

The other thing that seems to be happening is threads being locked without a single explanation. There is no warning, nothing seems to be wrong, but it just suddenly locks. For no reason. No explanation. No way to tell what mod locked it so you can't contact him.

Maybe my opinions don't matter, or maybe I don't know the whole details, but I just thought I'd comment on this. It seems to somewhat be getting out of control and is starting to make this forum sort of non-welcoming.

Or maybe I'm delusional. :p

NoveskeFan
01-01-12, 18:53
I have noticed alot of theads being locked as well, but usually due to a new member not using the search feature. I imagine this site takes up some space, so "culling" the questions that have already been answered seems reasonable.

Jambi
01-01-12, 18:58
....still frustrating though.
Especially when clarification is warranted and/or needed.

hickuleas
01-01-12, 19:01
This thread probably won't last long either.

deadlyfire
01-01-12, 19:32
I haven't noticed any threads being unnecessarily being locked. I do notice them being locked, but usually for a reason that warrants it.
Frankly, I'd rather have an active group of moderators than a group that lets the masses have free reign over this forum.

GeorgiaBoy
01-01-12, 19:43
This thread probably won't last long either.

Thanks for your concern.

I haven't noticed any threads being unnecessarily being locked. I do notice them being locked, but usually for a reason that warrants it.
Frankly, I'd rather have an active group of moderators than a group that lets the masses have free reign over this forum.

Neither do I. However, I can list for you probably 10 threads made in the past month where it was locked for hardly any reason. I won't because I don't want to name any mods/staff.

There is a difference between a thread be warranted a lock, and a thread being locked for no reason that can be explained. Is it well within the power for the mods to lock any thread they want? Sure. But it can't get out of hand.

lamarbrog
01-02-12, 02:23
I was going to start a thread complaining about my thread being locked... but I'll just add it here, since the topic has already been introduced.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=95589

The reason for the lock was... "In no way is the a technical thread in any way shape or form."

This was posted in GENERAL DISCUSSION. We have an AR Technical Discussion forum, an AR General Discussion forum, and then finally General Discussion which has a tacked thread stating "If you want to talk about topics of interest in the news, political items, or what you did last Saturday night, the GD is the place for it."

On the first page of General Discussion there is a thread about some guy's father in law, a thread based on a funny picture of multiple optics on one rifle, a thread on the size of watches, a thread about a "zombie repellant" t-shirt, and others...... but my thread about stenciling numbers on a rifle was locked because it isn't technical?

If it should have been locked for anything my thread should have been in "AR General Discussion", but I considered it to be more about spencils/painting than the rifle itself.

To me it really hurts the legitimacy of the mods' authority when they start locking threads arbitrarily. In this case, I would guess it is a personal grudge. There was no reason to lock that thread.

Elkhound
01-02-12, 06:26
I, too, am a casual poster on this board. I mostly lurk as my knowledge of AR rifles is far inferior to 99% of the people who are members of this forum.

I have had threads that I have started "locked" for reasons I have not wholly agreed with. I think individuals who are new to the board, or who have no ongoing "cred" with the mainstream, frequent, posters, are much more likely to have their threads locked.

Perhaps a bit more tolerance of those less informed members would make this forum a bit more of a friendly place for some casual members.

Posting a curse "try Google," or "there are a hundred threads on the board about that, try the search feature" while true, are not very welcoming, nor in the slightest, helpful.

Just my two cents.

ryan
01-02-12, 07:16
There is a reason this site is as informative and as great as it is. The mods have a reputation and a standard to uphold. You know this is a beyond average site when you have guys like LAV, RB1, Defoor and Mac ACTIVELY answering questions and putting up with us.

If you want to run wild a trip to TOS is in order.

Yes Lamarbrog asking how to stencil your rifle to look like a military rack number is as rump ranger ghey (no offense to the rump rangers out there) as color filling your roll mark.

deadlyfire
01-02-12, 07:19
There is a reason this site is as informative and as great as it is. The mods have a reputation and a standard to uphold. You know this is a beyond average site when you have guys like LAV, RB1, Defoor and Mac ACTIVELY answering questions and putting up with us.

Yes Lamarbrog asking how to stencil your rifle to look like a military rack number is as rump ranger ghey (no offense to the rump rangers out there) as color filling your roll mark.

wtf is TOS?

Titleist
01-02-12, 07:36
wtf is TOS?

ARFCOM

Generally MODs are doing their best to just stem threads that they know from PAST EXPERIENCE are prone to spiraling out of control.

Elkhound
01-02-12, 07:41
I suspect this thread was not meant to be an "us against them" thread, pitting the experts against the unclean commoners such as myself. My whole purpose in posting in this thread is to suggest that a bit more tolerance might be in order.

If you have a guy who has been a member for one day, he may be a total novice who deserves some slack to welcome him aboard. On the other end of the spectrum, if a member who has eighty semi-cogent posts and more than a years' membership, who asked a borderline question, don't snipe at the op nor automatically lock the thread because some moderator thinks the thread is not worthy of this forum.

I suggest a pm to the op informing them either how to solve their problem, or how to make their question more palatable to the mainstream or some other such "warning" or notice before the thread is summarily locked.

I don' think that is too much to ask.

I must add that this forum is AWESOME and I have learned a lot from reading it. I respect the difficult job the moderators have and I understand their purpose and, I think, their goals.

rob_s
01-02-12, 08:32
There are two misconceptions that pervade these kinds of discussions and they are fundamental problems with the way some people think.

The idea that all forums are for all people. They are not. The neurosurgery forum is not for me, nor is NAMBLA, or knitting, or the Toyota Prius... If people are unhappy with the way that M4C operates they are welcome to move on. I have been gone from here for quite some time because I don't like the way the forum is trending. No big deal.
The idea that expecting people to read old threads or use the search function is somehow "mean" or elitist, or that it has to do with the new poster also being new to the topic. It's not. Failure to do those things, however, IS entirely indicative of special snowflake disease as well as intellectual laziness. The desire to catch one's own fish vs. having the fish caught, cleaned, seasoned, cooked, and cut up into bite-sized pieces for you is not something that should be rewarded.

Maybe the "start new thread" button should be re-programmed to take posters with less than 1,000 posts to the search feature.

SHIVAN
01-02-12, 08:35
We are making an effort to transition non-duplicate threads to their correct forums.

Threads that are started, like "which is better?", or "how do I change a stock?" or other mundane things are locked for purely housekeeping reasons, and in almost every case, there is something posted in the thread, or a PM sent.

We can't expect everyone to agree with our housekeeping methods, but as a whole I don't see us locking threads for no reason whatsoever.

If there is ever a problem, the first step should be contacting the mod/staff who locked it VIA PM, and then escalating it up to staff/senior staff if you really don't like the explanation you were given.

That being said, there may not be much more to say than is said when the thread is locked, so I wouldn't expect our guys to write out the Iliad in response either.

ryr8828
01-02-12, 08:53
There are two misconceptions that pervade these kinds of discussions and they are fundamental problems with the way some people think.

The idea that all forums are for all people. They are not. The neurosurgery forum is not for me, nor is NAMBLA, or knitting, or the Toyota Prius... If people are unhappy with the way that M4C operates they are welcome to move on. I have been gone from here for quite some time because I don't like the way the forum is trending. No big deal.
The idea that expecting people to read old threads or use the search function is somehow "mean" or elitist, or that it has to do with the new poster also being new to the topic. It's not. Failure to do those things, however, IS entirely indicative of special snowflake disease as well as intellectual laziness. The desire to catch one's own fish vs. having the fish caught, cleaned, seasoned, cooked, and cut up into bite-sized pieces for you is not something that should be rewarded.

Maybe the "start new thread" button should be re-programmed to take posters with less than 1,000 posts to the search feature.

As long as we're making suggestions, I would rather skim past a new thread that could have possibly been answered with a search,

than I would skim past your huge signature. It's no doubt the largest signature on the site.

rob_s
01-02-12, 09:16
As long as we're making suggestions, I would rather skim past a new thread that could have possibly been answered with a search,

than I would skim past your huge signature. It's no doubt the largest signature on the site.

You are right. when I stopped posting here I made it huge intentionally. I can shorten it now.

Littlelebowski
01-02-12, 09:28
ARFCOM

Generally MODs are doing their best to just stem threads that they know from PAST EXPERIENCE are prone to spiraling out of control.

This. I know many of the mods personally and they are just trying to keep this place a cut above the rest. Personally, I think they should nuke GD.

ryr8828
01-02-12, 09:30
You are right. when I stopped posting here I made it huge intentionally. I can shorten it now.
Thank you.

Evil Colt 6920
01-02-12, 09:50
Im not sure what the key to this forums success is, I believe the staff and mods do or else I wouldnt be lurking here almost daily for 2+ years. I do know however that the key to failure is trying to please everyone. I had a post removed from a thread recently, I was a bit :confused: about it, but oh well, Im still here. I try to keep my mouth shut and just search and read mostly. God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth, perhaps he intended for us to listen twice as much as we talk.

lamarbrog
01-02-12, 10:28

Okay, so you personally don't like it...

But what rule did I break? What did I do that can't also be said about half the threads in GD?

It isn't so much the fact it got locked- it's that it was locked on a whim, with no written rule being broken, while dozens of other nonsensical and worthless threads remained.

The mods here have a long history of arbitrarily locking or moving my threads with no legitimate reason being given. I started a thread a few months ago on the details of a new upper half I had received from a company that was fairly new... posted it up with detailed observations in the AR Technical Discussion section. It was moved over to AR General Discussion. I wasn't the only one who couldn't quite understand the logic there.

The "reputation" you're upholding is one of personal grudges and bias dictating the actions of the mods, apparently at complete random, with little adherence to written rules.

Lock my thread, okay.... but get to cracking on those other threads, too. In fact... if all threads must be "technical" to pass muster, remove GD, and remove AR GD. We have no use for them apparently.

STAFF
01-02-12, 10:42

This. If we have already witnessed a train wreck, there is no need to do it again.

The other main reason for locking threads is because the topic has already been discussed X 10. M4C uses all of its BW every month. The less threads we have talking about the same thing keeps us from having to pay additional money.

rob_s
01-02-12, 10:55

But what rule did I break? What did I do that can't also be said about half the threads in GD?

It isn't so much the fact it got locked- it's that it was locked on a whim, with no written rule being broken, while dozens of other nonsensical and worthless threads remained.

The mods here have a long history of arbitrarily locking or moving my threads with no legitimate reason being given. I started a thread a few months ago on the details of a new upper half I had received from a company that was fairly new... posted it up with detailed observations in the AR Technical Discussion section. It was moved over to AR General Discussion. I wasn't the only one who couldn't quite understand the logic there.

The "reputation" you're upholding is one of personal grudges and bias dictating the actions of the mods, apparently at complete random, with little adherence to written rules.

Lock my thread, okay.... but get to cracking on those other threads, too. In fact... if all threads must be "technical" to pass muster, remove GD, and remove AR GD. We have no use for them apparently.

As someone who has been on internet forums for a LONG time, let me explain something to you....

Every single post you make contributes to how you are perceived, and colors how future posts will be responded to by other members as well as acted on by moderators. You can lament this as "unfair" or you can accept it for the reality that it is, but in either case it is a truism. Posts like the above included. So while you may not grasp the idea just yet, every post complaining about being persecuted and treated unfairly contribute (negatively, if you're not clear) to that overall perception and color how threads on things like painting a (meaningless) number on your stock will be received and treated. Act like a whiny child long enough and often enough and you'll be treated like one. No, your posts are not, and never will be, taken at face value. They come with the baggage associated with your screen name that YOU YOURSELF tie to that screen name with every new post.

This leaves you with a choice. Do you attempt to conform and make your posts reflect how you would like to be received, or do you say "**** it, I'm me and I'm gonna be me" and continue to post however you want? I think it's obvious which path I chose myself. But in either case climbing up on your cross and whining about it only serves to further poison that perception so not only is in non-productive, it in fact becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy and makes itself true.

If you want to be taken (and treated) seriously, post seriously. If you want to be taken (and treated) frivolously, post frivolously. If you want to be seen as a child, complain that your frivolous posts have resulted in a like reaction. You can't show up to church in a bozo the clown costume and complain that nobody takes your sermon seriously.

HeavyDuty
01-02-12, 11:10
M4C uses all of its BW every month.

Didn't know this.

lamarbrog
01-02-12, 11:52
As someone who has been on internet forums for a LONG time, let me explain something to you....

Every single post you make contributes to how you are perceived, and colors how future posts will be responded to by other members as well as acted on by moderators. You can lament this as "unfair" or you can accept it for the reality that it is, but in either case it is a truism. Posts like the above included. So while you may not grasp the idea just yet, every post complaining about being persecuted and treated unfairly contribute (negatively, if you're not clear) to that overall perception and color how threads on things like painting a (meaningless) number on your stock will be received and treated. Act like a whiny child long enough and often enough and you'll be treated like one. No, your posts are not, and never will be, taken at face value. They come with the baggage associated with your screen name that YOU YOURSELF tie to that screen name with every new post.

This leaves you with a choice. Do you attempt to conform and make your posts reflect how you would like to be received, or do you say "**** it, I'm me and I'm gonna be me" and continue to post however you want? I think it's obvious which path I chose myself. But in either case climbing up on your cross and whining about it only serves to further poison that perception so not only is in non-productive, it in fact becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy and makes itself true.

If you want to be taken (and treated) seriously, post seriously. If you want to be taken (and treated) frivolously, post frivolously. If you want to be seen as a child, complain that your frivolous posts have resulted in a like reaction. You can't show up to church in a bozo the clown costume and complain that nobody takes your sermon seriously.

You've never written your initials on anything you own before? What is so offensive about this just because it's my rifle? It's mine, I like it, I am proud of it because I had to save up quite a while to get it... and I want to identify it as mine...

If you pretend that you can't understand that- then it just proves what I've said. You'll disagree with me and go against me just because it is me and for no other reason.

rob_s
01-02-12, 11:59
You've never written your initials on anything you own before? What is so offensive about this just because it's my rifle? It's mine, I like it, I am proud of it because I had to save up quite a while to get it... and I want to identify it as mine...

If you pretend that you can't understand that- then it just proves what I've said. You'll disagree with me and go against me just because it is me and for no other reason.

The fact that all you got out of my post was to interpret it as further evidence of your persecution not only furthers my point, but further digs the hole that you keep crying about. The hole that you continue to dig yourself into.

Bolt_Overide
01-02-12, 12:21

The point isnt that theres a thing wrong with you doing whatever you like with your personal property. The point is, this site isnt about that kinda internet ranger crap.

If you want to do that stuff, its your money and your gear, go nuts, but dont go getting asshurt if it doesnt get welcomed here.

This site is about furthing MEANINGFUL discussion for our hobby, and frankly painting a rack number, color filling a roll mark, or whatever else is the latest gucci shit for the internet ranger, just isnt welcomed here by the staff, the major contributors, or the majority of the members.

Now get the sand out of your vag, suck it the **** up, and use the site for what its intended for. There is a metric **** ton of useful info posted here, I learn something new every day, and Im by no means a novice. Take the gucci shit to a site where its welcomed.

STAFF
01-02-12, 12:48

Your thread was just plain silly and would have caused much pain and suffering as you would have been attacked from all sides. The very first post did this. So the mod (realizing that a train wreck was about to take place) locked it (correctly so).

Are their stupid threads in the GD? Yes. Are they going to start a riot? No.

After reviewing many of YOUR threads, they do seem to get locked a lot. This might be your fault of the fault of someone else. After awhile though, a pattern develops and if you are always in the middle of it, then that is a clue.

Doing a review of something you bought does not belong in the AR technical section.

Make no mistake, the mods and staff dislike everyone the same. So no personal grudges.

If we took the time to write out all the rules, we would have hundreds of pages. On top of that, no one ever reads them so it doesn't matter.

To make it easy for you though, if a mod or staff sees something that is of no benefit to the forum, they will lock it, remove it and or ban the person. This should about cover all the whining about the rules either not being there or written to cover that exact issue.

Army Chief
01-02-12, 17:15
I think we can all understand the frustration of watching a thread go down for no apparent reason, and whenever possible, we do try to provide some warning before the fact, as well as a quick note of explanation whenever the lock is employed. That isn't always going to be the case, of course, but that is our preferred method. It really depends upon how far afield the thread was to begin with, how many other "clean up in aisle 6" calls were going on at the same time, and which staffer was intervening. We all strive to adhere to a common standard, but it's entirely true that we have our own personal styles, different tolerance levels and varying degrees of familiarity with the members involved in a given discussion. At times, I'm sure that individual members might feel that they are coming under the microscope, but the truth is that we aren't focused upon contributors nearly so much as we are focused upon content -- and I think that has a lot to do with the friction points identified elsewhere in this thread.

Every user of this site understands that there are certain things that just aren't going to be tolerated here. We've codified these in a set of formal rules, and insist that they be followed to preserve good order on the boards. What might be less immediately apparent is the fact that we also apply a more subtle set of quality standards to keep conversations biased toward a professional bent. Thus, we will occasionally cull a conversation, not because it crossed any real line in the sand, but because it was problematic from a signal-to-noise ratio perspective. Put another way, just because something might be permissible, that does not mean that it will ultimately lead to the kind of well-reasoned discussions that we aspire to host. This isn't about being mean-spirited or singling anyone out: it's about insuring that the site does not descend into the kind of triviality and chaos that so often pass for the norm elsewhere. We do try to explain these actions when we can, but if a member feels that he's getting the short end of the stick with uncomfortable regularity, the odds are that he simply needs to read more, post less, and take a bit more time to immerse himself in the site culture. In time, either he will "get it" and graduate to a more productive level of participation, or he will find that he might be better served by other communities which are more aligned to his interests. It isn't our aim to cater to everyone, but neither do we wish anyone ill. We simply are committed to preserving the character of a site that occupies a unique place in the vast expanse of shooting-related resources.

AC

Swstock
01-02-12, 17:31
Lmarbrog...seriously?

I understand that some here are "elitist", but your thread was worthless.

GeorgiaBoy
01-02-12, 17:33
Didn't know this.

Neither did I. Shines a bit of new insight. That beings said, some threads last WAY to long while others are killed very quick.

Now onto the whole "use the search button" deal. While I do agree fully that sometimes threads just get so repetitive the the horse is just a pulp and can no longer be beaten (such as: Can magazines be left loaded for a long time? Is .223 the same as 5.56? Are the lower and upper supposed to rattle?), other times I think its OK to start a new thread on a subject that might not have been covered in several years.

You may find 5 or 6 threads about your question from 2008, but none posted in the past several years. Opinion on that object may have changed since then. Ammo quality might have changed, choice in optics or optic mounts might have changed, ect. You can't neccesarily always tell someone to go back to previous info, when that info could be outdated.

When so much information has been covered in that kind of way (such as on this forum) and you still enforce a strict locking technique on threads that appear to "beat a dead horse", the forum will begin to slow down. I have seen this happen on countless other forums over the years. When people run out of things to post, the forum will slow down and less will participate. I'm not saying its happening now, but It could happen any time. I do notice that the AR General Discussion seems to have slown down considerable in the past year. I think that it may also have to do with a lack of new products recently, but I don't know. Just an observation.

ST911
01-02-12, 17:42
I think we can all understand the frustration of watching a thread go down for no apparent reason, and whenever possible, we do try to provide some warning before the fact, as well as a quick note of explanation whenever the lock is employed. That isn't always going to be the case, of course, but that is our preferred method. It really depends upon how far afield the thread was to begin with, how many other "clean up in aisle 6" calls were going on at the same time, and which staffer was intervening. We all strive to adhere to a common standard, but it's entirely true that we have our own personal styles, different tolerance levels and varying degrees of familiarity with the members involved in a given discussion. At times, I'm sure that individual members might feel that they are coming under the microscope, but the truth is that we aren't focused upon contributors nearly so much as we are focused upon content -- and I think that has a lot to do with the friction points identified elsewhere in this thread. <balance snipped>

Thank you mods for the work that you do.

In my opinion, we could stand to have a few more threads locked, and earlier, to preserve the excellent signal:noise here.

randolph
01-02-12, 18:35
this is still the best AR/M4 related forum on the net...
I dont buy anything w/o searching here first (yellow button next to the calendar ) :D

Army Chief
01-02-12, 18:51
You'll disagree with me and go against me just because it is me and for no other reason.

No one is going against you, and to be honest, I think you're probably an all-around good dude. You are, however, still fairly young. That doesn't mean that you are stupid, that you shouldn't have a voice, nor that your opinions don't matter. It does mean that you occasionally run the risk of coming across as a bit over-the-top, disproportionately enthusiastic, or preoccupied with things that really don't matter all that much in the big picture. Been there, done that. Most of us on this site have.

Colter, in time you will come to understand the lovely, pained patina of skepticism, the finer points of growing hopelessly-jaded and the outright delightful disillusionment that come with age, but on a more serious note, you really just need to post with your audience in mind. If I told you that the average M4C member was a somewhat older guy than his ARFCOM counterpart, who is probably a veteran, has some experience working in the security or public safety fields, is active in the industry, or is still very much engaged in the profession of arms, then perhaps you can understand why something like your "rack number" thread might have resulted in some behind-the-keyboard eye rolling. Rack numbers? Really? Sure, they've appeared on more issued weapons than most of us can even remember signing for over the years, but what would be the point of doing this to a privately-owned weapon?

Again, I'm not suggesting that your ideas are stupid; merely that guys with a professional or operational frame of reference are going to find some of them rather silly because of where they've been and what they've seen in life. These members read your posts and immediately pick up on the inexperience. The response isn't always kind because they can't tell the difference between a younger guy and a total poseur, and you know how they feel about the latter. That is why you sometimes see staff intervention to prevent a feeding frenzy. It isn't a personal affront nearly so much as a rescue in progress, and I suspect that particular point will become clearer in time if you stick it out. Until then, please just try to give us the benefit of the doubt.

AC

SHIVAN
01-02-12, 18:59
When people run out of things to post, the forum will slow down and less will participate.

When a forum starts to feel like facebook, or twitter, I am Ok with slowing it down some.

Our most important guidance to mods/staff is attempt to keep the signal to noise ratio as high as possible, but don't stifle new users.

Someone with claimed, or demonstrated knowledge will get far less latitude than someone who explains their position on the M4 totem pole of knowledge, and accepts that it's nowhere near the middle bottom.

Act like a pro, get threads locked like a pro. Then conduct yourself, after the locking, like a pro.

When things are going well, you can tell nothing of the character of the person with whom you are dealing. It's only when adversity presents itself that you see the character of the man with whom you converse. I'd say whining over a locked thread moves you straight to the bottom of the totem pole.

To be clear, GeorgiaBoy asking about why threads are locked isn't the same as crying.

Ed L.
01-02-12, 19:37
I think the mods and admins here do a great job of keeping the BS down.

If they just slack a little, the BS can start building up fast.

If ypu look at some really wretched gun forums, you see a conglamoration of stupid theoretical 'what-would-you-do' threads, 'it-happened-to-me' stories that either don't ring true or reflect extreme stupidity on the part of the posters relaying the stories, a mix of gunstore commandoisms and gunstore liability lawyerisms, and threads that go on foreever debating whether it is a good idea to keep a round in the chamber.

I often wonder how these messageboards get as bad as they do and the answer is that they may start off well but are allowed to deteriorate. Stupid posts beget stupid posts and attract stupid people until eventually the more sensible and knowledgeable people stop posting. It is similar to the way a formerly good neighborhood deteriorates.

I'm glad that the mods and admins here do the work to prevent this from happening. As already stated upthread, this is what atttracts the SMEs and reknown instructors here and keeps them active on this site.

polymorpheous
01-02-12, 20:05
Think this forum is harsh?
Try Lightfighter...
Start a thread on fake rack numbers there and watch what happens.

The best forums, IMHO, are the ones that won't tolerate noise. (M4C, Wevo, LF)
A lot can be learned from them if one learns to shut up, and stay in their lane.

Keep up the good work mods!
:thank_you2:

kmrtnsn
01-02-12, 20:36
This. I know many of the mods personally and they are just trying to keep this place a cut above the rest. Personally, I think they should nuke GD.

10-4 that

SMETNA
01-03-12, 03:36
There's something to be said about keeping your eyes and ears open and learning from the greats, and having a thick skin when they rip on you for some amateur nonsense you foist on them.

There's also something to be said about being welcoming and never letting the idea that this is a business and that the patrons make it or break it leave your thoughts. Too much ridicule or sarcasm against patrons may eventually hurt the advertisers bottom line.

Everything in balance.

djegators
01-03-12, 08:23
When a forum starts to feel like facebook, or twitter, I am Ok with slowing it down some.

Our most important guidance to mods/staff is attempt to keep the signal to noise ratio as high as possible, but don't stifle new users.

Someone with claimed, or demonstrated knowledge will get far less latitude than someone who explains their position on the M4 totem pole of knowledge, and accepts that it's nowhere near the middle bottom.

Act like a pro, get threads locked like a pro. Then conduct yourself, after the locking, like a pro.

When things are going well, you can tell nothing of the character of the person with whom you are dealing. It's only when adversity presents itself that you see the character of the man with whom you converse. I'd say whining over a locked thread moves you straight to the bottom of the totem pole.

To be clear, GeorgiaBoy asking about why threads are locked isn't the same as crying.

Sad thing is, those who this refers to, especially the part in blue, will be ignored or misinterpreted by those who need it most. Hopefully those complaining can find a place where they feel more at home, and the rest of us can move back to the m4c we used to have.