PDA

View Full Version : 33 Round Mags? Really? Yes!

Evil Bert
01-01-12, 19:43
Spent Christmas day with the in-laws (or out-laws as I like to call them). I have no idea how we got onto he subject exactly, but with the father-in-law who is disabled and has nothing better to do than watch the liberal media and all the talking heads, we start talking about guns. Now the old man collects guns. He collects WWII era guns. They are all safe queens every last one of them. That is all fine and dandy.

He says that since he is getting older he sees things differently. He stated that there is no legitimate reason for a 33round glock magazine other than to be used by lazy people at the range. I have to agree for the most part on that point. However, he proceeded to state that even more than 10 rounds is not needed. But it went even farther. He proceeded to talk about red-light cameras, and cameras on every street corner in america to prevent crime.

I said that is ridiculous and he looked at me with the stink eye. I said nearly every liquor store in America has a camera system installed and they still get robbed. If red light camera stopped people from running red lights, then why do they still issue tickets from running red lights?

Of course he brought up England and their outlawing of firearms all together. I said they still have shootings despite all guns being illegal. They still have crime. Stabbing and beatings went up after the ban. Now you cannot barley even own a large kitchen knife in England from what I understand.

When I asked him why they still have crime when they have down everything they can to limit the ability for criminals to commit crimes, he stated "because you cannot legislate morality." Then I asked him, if they cannot legislate morality, then why does he feel the way he does.

He was quiet for a minute and said he is just so tired of every time he turns on the news all he sees is bad senseless violence. Violence that he feels could have been prevented. He said the only thing that saved lives at the AZ shooting of Congresswoman Giffords, was the guy ran out of the 33 rounds in his glock and while reloading, a woman grabbed the second magazine when it fell to the ground.

I said do you think he could have killed the same amount of people with a 10 round magazine? He said maybe. So would the magazine capacity prevented the crime, I asked. He said we will never know.

I argued that the second amendment is not about magazine capacity, or legitimate use or non-legitimate use. It is about protecting freedom. The founders added it as the 2nd amendment and not the 5th, 6th, etc because it was that important to them. It was on the forefront of their minds. Second only to freedom of speech. I informed him that the purpose of the second amendment was to prevent the government from squashing liberty and to ensure that the people had the same level of arms as the Army, etc. Think about the framer's frame of mind after just defeating their former government, I said.

The real kicker in all this is that the man keeps asking me to buy him guns (which I do not do for a myriad of reasons - yes he is legally able to buy them himself) because he doesn't want big brother knowing what he has. Yet he wants Big Brother to watch our every move with cameras and he feels that police should be allowed to fully encrypt their radio communications to prevent the criminals from listening in.

It is just frustrating. He thinks that because he thought one way (like me) when he was younger and know he thinks this "other" way. I think the difference is that I think more logically and he thinks more emotionally, now.

Am I the only one with a hypocritical of sorts father-in-law? It kills me. He doesn't vote yet he gets all riled up by the way the politicians are running the country. It just kills me, kills me, kills me.

:suicide:

QuietShootr
01-01-12, 19:50
Am I the only one who's tired of this latest trend of "I hang around with/am related to ****tards and am so surprised when they say and do ****tarded things" threads?

Quit associating with ****heads, whether related or not, and these situations will resolve themselves.

Yes, I practice what I preach. I haven't been to my MILs in four years because she pitched a bitch about me carrying a gun. Unless she apologizes, the next time I see that bitch will be at her funeral. Done, and doesn't bother me a whit.

Evil Bert
01-01-12, 19:53
Am I the only one who's tired of this latest trend of "I hang around with/am related to ****tards and am so surprised when they say and do ****tarded things" threads?

Quit associating with ****heads, whether related or not, and these situations will resolve themselves.

Yes, I practice what I preach. I haven't been to my MILs in four years because she pitched a bitch about me carrying a gun. Unless she apologizes, the next time I see that bitch will be at her funeral. Done, and doesn't bother me a whit.

When it comes to keeping the peace in my house, your proposal is easier said than done.

QuietShootr
01-01-12, 19:59
When it comes to keeping the peace in my house, your proposal is easier said than done.

Try it - you might be surprised once you get past the initial bitchfest how much better your life is with less assholes in it. Was hard at first, but oh-so-worth it.

Eurodriver
01-01-12, 20:13
Gonna agree with quietshootr here.

Just because they are relatives doesn't mean I have to see them...or even give a shit if they are still alive.

After my grandfather died my grandmother took a whole bunch of his guns from the 1920s (All original Colt pocket pistols, a professionally done sawed off 12 gauge done for Baby Face Nelson [not kidding]) and turned them into the police where they were destroyed. We're talking hundreds of thousands of dollars of one of a kind pistols. The shotgun was done so nicely that the pump was actually cut to scale with the barrel, it was about 4" long. Such a nice nice gun...

She also gave his 1938 Red Ryder BB gun to my younger cousin who was like eight. His mom was an idiot and kept it in the shed where it promptly rusted into nothingness because guns are evil and they kill people and if he played with guns he'd end up being a mass murderer.

Not the only reasons, but I have absolutely no desire to talk to those people and I don't miss it one bit.

QuietShootr
01-01-12, 20:34

Just because they are relatives doesn't mean I have to see them...or even give a shit if they are still alive.

After my grandfather died my grandmother took a whole bunch of his guns from the 1920s (All original Colt pocket pistols, a professionally done sawed off 12 gauge done for Baby Face Nelson [not kidding]) and turned them into the police where they were destroyed. We're talking hundreds of thousands of dollars of one of a kind pistols. The shotgun was done so nicely that the pump was actually cut to scale with the barrel, it was about 4" long. Such a nice nice gun...

She also gave his 1938 Red Ryder BB gun to my younger cousin who was like eight. His mom was an idiot and kept it in the shed where it promptly rusted into nothingness because guns are evil and they kill people and if he played with guns he'd end up being a mass murderer.

Not the only reasons, but I have absolutely no desire to talk to those people and I don't miss it one bit.

Jesus ****ing H Christ.

J-Dub
01-01-12, 21:57

You Sir, are a wise man.

scottryan
01-01-12, 22:11

No shit.

Why do you people hang around this shit or marry into these families?

CarlosDJackal
01-02-12, 10:20
Unfortunately, a large part of our society make up these ****tards. Heck, even at the Gun Club I run into so many Fudds I've slowly developed a hatred for shotgunners because they keep trying to get Pistols and Rifles banned from our "Rifle and Pistol Club"!!

Most of those assholes voted for the current POTUS under the "he's going to fix out economy" pretense. But in the same breath they would state that any gun control he enacts would not affect those who shoot clay pigeons so they really don't care how anti-gun he is. :rolleyes:

There really isn't much we can do other than to educate them as best as we can. But we can only lead the sheeple to water. It is up to them if they take a drink or drown because they are freaking idiots. JM2CW.

ST911
01-02-12, 11:32
Here's an alternative: Suppress the compulsion to engage these folks. Quit talking about guns. Eat fudge, sing Christmas carols. Learn family history. Play scrabble. Go to a ball game. Find common ground.

jmp45
01-02-12, 12:14
I'm in a reasonably good position concerning family and friends, no ftards here. My sister in Chicago is about as far left as anyone could possibly go, an absolute witch. I simply told her I don't care to ever talk to or see her or her husband again, and haven't for at least 15 years. Problem solved. My brother and I are quite close and agree on just about everything. Other extended family members we keep some in the loop, others not so much. We don't visit with anyone that is not in our interest. We feel it's important to respect people's boundaries, that really seems to be a tough issue for some.

QuietShootr
01-02-12, 12:26
I'm in a reasonably good position concerning family and friends, no ftards here. My sister in Chicago is about as far left as anyone could possibly go, an absolute witch. I simply told her I don't care to ever talk to or see her or her husband again, and haven't for at least 15 years. Problem solved. My brother and I are quite close and agree on just about everything. Other extended family members we keep some in the loop, others not so much. We don't visit with anyone that is not in our interest. We feel it's important to respect people's boundaries, that really seems to be a tough issue for some.

See, it CAN be done. :D

Blood pressure stays nice and low, doesn't it, jmp?

You see, guys, when folks like jmp and I read these threads, it really doesn't compute for us. I feel no obligation or desire to hang around with someone whom I have nothing in common, who is opposed to what I stand for, and whose beliefs generally piss me off - whether they're related or not.

I choose my family - they're my friends. Nope, I don't have many, and I'm okay with that. If I don't like you, you probably won't like me either, so ain't we both content?

Kfgk14
01-02-12, 14:08

How old were you when this happened?

Interesting above about the Fudd shotgunners. I have a few at the local club. The last time I shot skeet, I sold my O/U to one of the better ones and sold all my shotgun ammo, equipment, clays, etc. They were amazed at how much ammo I had for sale and were legitimately questioning whether I was "one of them crazy militia types". It's good they don't see me over at the rifle/pistol range, I might scare them.
I thankfully have a pro-gun family, you have to go way out into the extended family (on both sides) to find anyone liberal. I've made damn sure this next generation coming up will be the same way, too.
Some of my neighbors, though...

jmp45
01-02-12, 14:46

You see, guys, when folks like jmp and I read these threads, it really doesn't compute for us. I feel no obligation or desire to hang around with someone whom I have nothing in common, who is opposed to what I stand for, and whose beliefs generally piss me off - whether they're related or not.

I choose my family - they're my friends. Nope, I don't have many, and I'm okay with that. If I don't like you, you probably won't like me either, so ain't we both content?

Exactly QuietShooter.. Never bothered me a bit, still doesn't. I'll go further to say.. The last 10 - 15 years or so of my mothers life made it hell on us. She never liked my wife so I pretty much ended that relationship with her also. When she was in a hospice in Chicago I made peace with her via phone at the end. All while my sister having an extreme hyper controlling nature like mom was listening in making all kinds of negative remarks and wild accusations.

If folks don't celebrate who you are are, what you believe, respect your boundaries, cut them off. Hard I know but peace will prevail, it's quite liberating. On the other hand, my father was very close to us as well as my MIL and recently passed FIL. That's where my family really resides. My father was very pro gun, I have fond memories shooting with him and making music. On a side note, my brother is following the same path regarding sis.. Like QS said "I choose my family". Life is way too short for bs like this.

Spiffums
01-02-12, 18:02
He says that since he is getting older he sees things differently. He stated that there is no legitimate reason for a 33round glock magazine other than to be used by lazy people at the range. I have to agree for the most part on that point.

So how many 15 round mags you got for your ARs? In for a penny in for a pound.

TurretGunner
01-03-12, 11:26
OP I feel for you. My GF's family are the Same way. Just suck it up on holidays and spend as little time with them as you can. Its really hard to tell the child of such a person what you feel about their parents. Sometimes its best to just play along and keep everyone happy.

Moltke
01-03-12, 11:43
My hobbies are guns and cigars. My mother in law passionately hates both guns and cigars. I value my marriage more than my hobbies but take pleasure in the fact that I'm going to outlast my mother in law by decades.

Moose-Knuckle
01-03-12, 21:36
Clark W. Griswold Jr. - "Our holidays were always such a mess."

Clark W. Griswold Sr. - "Oh, yeah."

Clark W. Griswold Jr. - "How'd you get through it?"

Clark W. Griswold Sr. - "I had a lot of help from Jack Daniels."

This is why so many people HATE the Holiday season. . ."family".

This Christmas my wife and spent it with my immediate due to unnecessary drama we would have had to suffer if we saw the whole gang. A lot of people are just toxic and they won't be content until everyone around them shares in their despondent existence. My wife has had to totally write off her family for more than I care to go into here.

Family can sometimes be the worst people.

Suwannee Tim
01-04-12, 05:00
My would-be father-in-law died before I met my wife. I sometimes daydream about having a neat FIL, cool guy, good buddy, etcetera, etcetera. Then I get a reality check.

I didn't see the need of 10+ round magazines before President Obama piqued my interest in ARs. But now the more I shoot them the more I like them. I've even got a couple of 60 round mags. Yikes!

Suwannee Tim
01-04-12, 05:05
It could be worse Evil Bert. To of the biggest ****ing idiots / selfish assholes / stupid ass drunks I have ever met I had the misfortune of sharing parents with.

MIKE G
01-04-12, 15:17
My standard response to people that disagree with gun ownership and advocate gun laws and prohibition is this:

Before guns were invented people used tempered steel, arrows, spears, sticks, and before that rocks to both commit assault and defend against assault irregardless of who was in the right or the wrong. If you take away firearms people will start stabbing each other with knives, take away knives and they will choose screwdrivers, bottles, and rocks. Bad people will commit physical crimes against others no matter what and taking guns away from good guys will simply make it easier for the bad guy on a budget to bludgeon the innocent with a rock he picked up.

It is hard to argue with history, people have been killing others since the beginning of time. You can not outlaw all the tools of death but you can create an environment where it is too risky for the bad guy to try and commit a physical crime against an innocent. Wide distribution of guns in responsible hands does just that.

Moltke
01-04-12, 15:38
I'm going to start carrying a rock with me for personal protection - just in case.

uwe1
01-05-12, 22:10

It can absolutely be done.

I have cut off most of my extended family because they irritate the shit out of me every time I see them.

I barely speak to my sister because she's a liberal who likes to use intellectual bully tactics. She's been told that life's less drama without her in the picture. :dance3: And no, she wasn't happy about it, but **** her.

My wife and I have discontinued friendships with idiots and their families.

The blood pressure stays nice and low.